Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Stalinka seem ok I guess, but they were never for regular jerkoffs

Khrushchyovka and Brezhnevkas were built like poo poo and are terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

This is a really good idea and we should do it

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I like it! I’d be way closer to the beach!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Doesn’t get rid of nearly as much California as it should

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It’s bizarre and uncomfortable to refer to the country one live in as “we”

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

A country is a group of people.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Gaius Marius posted:

A country is a group of people.

Edgar Allen Ho acting like they never saw Thor 3.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
And, you know, there's no such thing as countries. There are individual men and women and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look after themselves first. It is our duty to look after ourselves and then, also, to look after our group of people.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Vitruvian Manic posted:

And, you know, there's no such thing as countries. There are individual men and women and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look after themselves first. It is our duty to look after ourselves and then, also, to look after our group of people.

Thanks, Margaret Thatcher

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Yeah, and like money isn’t even real man. Like what even is real besides people when you think about it.

*hits bong again

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Robobot posted:

Yeah, and like money isn’t even real man. Like what even is real besides people when you think about it.

*hits bong again

PHUO: it's actually valuable to think about these kinds of things from time to time.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
if you want to give money to your neighbor vote liberal or labor

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Not getting political in the phuo thread, but some of things your government does make more sense when you view it through the lens of money not being real

Or rather money being real for some but not others

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

prom candy posted:

PHUO: it's actually valuable to think about these kinds of things from time to time.

Clichés are clichés for a reason.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

prom candy posted:

Tbh I agree. Like 90% of the time it’s just pointless navel gazing to think of money being fake because it absolutely is real in a day to day sense, if only by social consensus. But then you hear politicians say we can’t do universal healthcare because there isn’t enough money and that’s why we have to give more money to Lockheed Martin instead and it’s good to remember in that moment that isn’t actually isn’t real and you’re being had.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

christmas boots posted:

Tbh I agree. Like 90% of the time it’s just pointless navel gazing to think of money being fake because it absolutely is real in a day to day sense, if only by social consensus. But then you hear politicians say we can’t do universal healthcare because there isn’t enough money and that’s why we have to give more money to Lockheed Martin instead and it’s good to remember in that moment that isn’t actually isn’t real and you’re being had.

Social Security, government healthcare programs, other social welfare programs, and pensions for government workers make up the majority of US government spending. Defense spending is 16%.

The US spends more on healthcare programs than its military, as it rightfully should.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

silence_kit posted:

Social Security, government healthcare programs, other social welfare programs, and pensions for government workers make up the majority of US government spending. Defense spending is 16%.

The US spends more on healthcare programs than its military, as it rightfully should.

And yet evidently we still spend more than the next ten nations combined so that 16% still looks a little fat to me.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The US military is welfare for a lot of people

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The US military budget is ludicrous but it's smaller than Saudi Arabia, Israel, or Russia's as a percent of total GDP, and isn't crazy bigger than India, France, or the UK's, which hair-wringing americans often ignore. No this is not a defense of the US budget. But when you have the most bucks no poo poo you throw the most bucks at X problem.

e: I believe the ranking is Saudi-Israel-Russia-US-India-France-Australia which lmao croikey moite

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 02:10 on Feb 23, 2022

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The US military budget is ludicrous but it's smaller than Saudi Arabia, Israel, or Russia's as a percent of total GDP, and isn't crazy bigger than India, France, or the UK's, which hair-wringing americans often ignore. No this is not a defense of the US budget. But when you have the most bucks no poo poo you throw the most bucks at X problem.

I propose the US hire some scientists from Saudi Arabia, Israel, or Russia to figure out how they parted the quantum foam to provide universal healthcare while spending that much on defense

I have been told it can't be done here and yet apparently the impossible has in fact been achieved

Oh it has been achieved everywhere god pays attention and most places he doesn't

Hmm this is a conundrum

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
-10c and sunny is significantly warmer than 10c and rainy.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

The people of the US spend a lot more money on healthcare than people in other rich countries. There are a lot of reasons why that is the case.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Tempe should not have an H at the end of it. It's spelled without an h in Indonesia because we're not silly enough to have silent vowels. Also, I've never had tempe that I would prefer over tofu.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Canned dolmades are better than freshly-made.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Defenistrator posted:

-10c and sunny is significantly warmer than 10c and rainy.

Having been in both over the past week or so: lol no. 10c is balmy

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos

prom candy posted:

Having been in both over the past week or so: lol no. 10c is balmy
Like your opinion matters to me

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Caufman posted:

Tempe should not have an H at the end of it. It's spelled without an h in Indonesia because we're not silly enough to have silent vowels. Also, I've never had tempe that I would prefer over tofu.

Actually, silent letters are the best and we need more :france:

silence_kit posted:

The people of the US spend a lot more money on healthcare than people in other rich countries. There are a lot of reasons why that is the case.

It's a handful of fuckers in the insurance industry. That's not that many reasons.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 11:21 on Feb 23, 2022

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's a handful of fuckers in the insurance industry. That's not that many reasons.

I think to to place the entire blame for the high costs on the private insurance industry is wrong.

Every actor in the US healthcare system is working to drive up the price: the drug & medical device makers, the health care providers, the American doctors' guild, etc.

edit:

I'm for a universal government health care system, but for it to actually lower costs and not just provide more equal access to health care, the government would have to force those other actors in the industry to take a hair cut, force providers to become more efficient with providing services/reduce levels of service from the levels that rich Americans are used to, etc.

silence_kit has a new favorite as of 11:43 on Feb 23, 2022

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I've been working in healthcare full-time since 2007 and I think there should be complete and total nationalized healthcare also because that gives the government more direct power and involvement over people.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Tiggum posted:

Canned dolmades are better than freshly-made.

That sounds good. Any brands you recommended trying from Amazon?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Atticus_1354 posted:

That sounds good. Any brands you recommended trying from Amazon?

I don't recognise any of the brands I can see on there. These are the ones I ate yesterday.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

silence_kit posted:

Yeah, the primary reason is because of extortion

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
10pt fonts are regular for printed text. The decade of 12pt, which led to requests for 14pt, was a tragedy that unsurprisingly overlapped the housing recession.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

People who liked The Wire but didn't like season 2 were racist. They enjoyed the show as a poor black people safari. They didn't like season 2 because poor white people were not interesting and exotic to them

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Gripweed posted:

People who liked The Wire but didn't like season 2 were racist. They enjoyed the show as a poor black people safari. They didn't like season 2 because poor white people were not interesting and exotic to them

First time through, I didn't enjoy season two because I'd liked D'Angelo and was disappointed he wasn't the focus.

Second time through, I think it was my favourite season or at least equal with the first.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i liked season 2 because egg beer looked tasty

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Gripweed posted:

While it is true that I despise all white people, I was more upset that the Barksdale storyline was sidelined so hard. But I warmed up to season 2 after just a few episodes. Never sympathized with Ziggy though.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I never watched The Wire because I heard it wasn't a comedy.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

PHUO: The Wire is just ok

Definitely the most overrated entertainment media of all time, by a wide margin

Also if you're with a group of people and someone mentions they haven't watched the wire you can - with 100% accuracy - visually pick out the people who will excitedly insist that person has to watch it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

David Simmons seems like an absolutely insufferable person.