Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dressed For Chess
May 6, 2007
Fun Shoe

velocirapstar posted:

My wife was an elementary school teacher for 10 years then got burned out and wanted to try something totally different.

She ended up going to work for Vanguard - entry level at first with more of their call-in/support organization to get some experience, obtain her Series 6, learn the business, systems, etc. After 12-18 months, she moved to work with higher net worth clients - she wasn't doing super strategic stuff, more things related to wills, trusts, transfers of assets/funds, that sort of thing but she mostly seemed to like it a lot. She enjoyed the daily challenges and some of the i there that structure while also having adult peers (and clients) to be surrounded by, rather than primarily dealing with kids and lousy parents.

Thanks for this, that’s a interesting window to look into. Without being too specific, did that entry level position match what she made as a teacher, or did it take some time to get to that point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

velocirapstar
Oct 8, 2018

Get Confident, Stupid!

Dressed For Chess posted:

Thanks for this, that’s a interesting window to look into. Without being too specific, did that entry level position match what she made as a teacher, or did it take some time to get to that point?

My recollection was that the difference was pretty negligible so maybe a bit under $50k. Granted we live in Arizona which ranks in the bottom 10 for actually paying teachers a livable wage and she didn’t have a pension, but benefits were decent and she wasn’t as stressed as when she was teaching.

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020

Dressed For Chess posted:

So, that said, are there any teachers in here who have pivoted to different careers in their 40s? I always feel like my skill set makes me REALLY qualified for my current position, and literally nothing else. I love computers, and I could see myself working through some online courses to get some IT certifications. But the thought of it paralyzes me.
Don't sell yourself short! Teaching is a highly respected field of work, and I bet a lot of your skills will transfer over. Take a look here for some examples of skills that transfer over.

If you haven't already, I highly recommend checking out the resume thread, where you can get some really helpful feedback on how to advocate for yourself from people who really know what they're talking about.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I've hired a couple teachers for entry/intermediate software dev/support positions and I absolutely favor teaching background while hiring. Teachers are detail oriented, usually very good communicators and documenters, usually handle stress of production issues really well, and generally all the good stuff that comes from people going from harder jobs to easier jobs.

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
How long should I search for my first job? I just graduated in December 2021. I don't know if it's better to take my time searching or to get to a job sooner to avoid being unemployed for too long. Thoughts?

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020

Nirvikalpa posted:

How long should I search for my first job? I just graduated in December 2021. I don't know if it's better to take my time searching or to get to a job sooner to avoid being unemployed for too long. Thoughts?
What was your degree in? What type of jobs are you looking for?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Ideally you would have had a job lined up last fall to start in January. That ship has sailed though. Get employed as fast as you can. If you find a better job, change jobs.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
yeah get a real job ASAP

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If you want to take a year to travel or "travel" that shouldn't set you back.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
I'm a DBA in the higher ed space. I'm going to have the opportunity to move into a middle management role, where I'm much less technical and instead overseeing about a dozen programmer-types. I have managed people before (~6 programmers), basing my technique a lot off of stuff like Manager Tools stuff like weekly one-on-ones, a "feedback model," etc. What should I read to update my knowledge of managing people? I should note that we're not at all an Agile shop; I'm just looking for intermediate-level management advice that's up to date with current trends/best practices. TIA let's circle back touch base and level-set ciao.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Most management books are crap and only useful for knowing the shiboleths necessary to fit in within a large organization. Seems like you've got that down!

That said a few are decent. One I like is High Output Management. It's good because he describes specific behaviors and activities that contribute to an organization. Its pretty general purpose, some parts will fit better than others to your situation and some parts you just might not agree with. It's from 1983 so not exactly cutting edge, although I think it was sort of obscure until kind of recently and certainly doesn't feel dated.

https://books.google.com/books/about/High_Output_Management.html?id=HersAAAAMAAJ&source=kp_book_description

Edit:
I like Rao's stuff
https://studio.ribbonfarm.com/p/unbundling-the-manager?utm_source=url

I haven't read radical candor but might now. Wonder if anyone else in the thread has an opinion on it?

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 23, 2022

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
The Managers Path by Camille Fournier is the best book out there. It walks through how to be managed, how to manage a front-line team, how to be a middle manager, how to be a executive and a CTO. It has legit great stuff in it.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Easychair Bootson posted:

I'm a DBA in the higher ed space. I'm going to have the opportunity to move into a middle management role, where I'm much less technical and instead overseeing about a dozen programmer-types. I have managed people before (~6 programmers), basing my technique a lot off of stuff like Manager Tools stuff like weekly one-on-ones, a "feedback model," etc. What should I read to update my knowledge of managing people? I should note that we're not at all an Agile shop; I'm just looking for intermediate-level management advice that's up to date with current trends/best practices. TIA let's circle back touch base and level-set ciao.

As far as the EQ part of it, I really enjoyed Becoming a Resonant Leader. The concepts are all based on newer science of positive coaching and such.

https://g.co/kgs/GjnZJg

The one goal of this book is to make you see your staff as real people and make their day job better in some way by considering what their actual goals are and how you can help. It does this by being basically a self-improvement workbook that teaches a concept and framework for asking, understanding and defining what your staff wants by applying it to yourself first.

If you are someone who naturally connects with people and motivates them properly, and you have a clear vision of what you want, it could be a skip, but if not I’d check it out.

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

spwrozek posted:

Ideally you would have had a job lined up last fall to start in January. That ship has sailed though. Get employed as fast as you can. If you find a better job, change jobs.

Ok I don't have a job. Should I just get any job I can take? I feel tempted to try to do VISTA. The pay would suck but I guess I would get some experience. Would that be worth it at all?

Rufflebutt
Jun 9, 2016

Fallen Rib
I'm wondering if there are any CAD drafters around that can tell me how much knowledge I need to have outside of 3D design to get into a decent position.

I have a bachelors in computer animation, I worked in the military sim industry for over 10 years up until the end of 2020. I then became a stay at home mom for the past year due to all the BS going on and not wanting my kid around all the crazies. We moved from where sim is a big industry to a small town where I grew up that doesn't have anything like it, and while my husband got a great job I am looking to make sure I can get back into the workforce when the time is right.

This seems like the most logical path that won't make my bachelors (non transferable due to it being from a trade school) and my job history completely useless. I know very little about building codes, manufacturing, engineering, ect. which is the only hesitation I have. The plan is to get a 2 year certification from a college, and I was wondering if there are any extra classes I should grab to help along the way to put me in a better position to land a decent job.

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
How picky am I supposed to be when looking for a job? Is it unreasonable to aim for some sort of professional/office job? I know I'm supposed to get a job ASAP but I feel like some sort of jobs don't seem like they would set me on the right path even though they make me supposedly gainfully employed.

For example, there is an organization for children with behavioral difficulties in my boyfriend's town that is always hiring. Theoretically, you need a college degree for this position, though some people working there don't because they're always short-staffed. Am I suppose to work there? It just seems completely off the career path that I want.

At the very least I could do VISTA next year. Even though I would be working for less than minimum wage, I feel like I could get some more experience. I had an acquaintance from college who did it and she seems to have accomplished a lot, and now she is working for a much better position, though she was very qualified before she was in VISTA.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

What job are you trying to get? That will help.

You graduated in December, right? I'd take anything in your field that you can find by now, but you probably have a couple of months before you need to take advanced babysitting jobs. Is there some free coursework you can be doing? If you can get some certs or complete some stuff you can always say you were sharpening some skills before entering the workforce.

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

I'm not particularly attached to my current job and would enjoy taking 3 months off

Assuming I can afford it, how bad of an idea would it be to quit and take 3 months off without a clear idea of what the next job would be?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Do you have a good story? If you do, not too bad. But I'd expect you'll return to the workforce at your same level at best, whereas in this market if you make a jump you have a good chance of stepping up.

If you don't have a good story, could be bad. If things turn in the next 3 months (unlikely, but not impossible) you could get screwed.

In general if I see a gap like that I'd sorta expect it means someone washed out so you'd need to convince me otherwise, that's why a story is important. Taking 3 months to travel or whatever is fine, if it's to smoke weed and watch cartoons your on a back foot since I have another candidate who I know didn't bomb out of their job.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Rufflebutt posted:

I'm wondering if there are any CAD drafters around that can tell me how much knowledge I need to have outside of 3D design to get into a decent position.

I have a bachelors in computer animation, I worked in the military sim industry for over 10 years up until the end of 2020. I then became a stay at home mom for the past year due to all the BS going on and not wanting my kid around all the crazies. We moved from where sim is a big industry to a small town where I grew up that doesn't have anything like it, and while my husband got a great job I am looking to make sure I can get back into the workforce when the time is right.

This seems like the most logical path that won't make my bachelors (non transferable due to it being from a trade school) and my job history completely useless. I know very little about building codes, manufacturing, engineering, ect. which is the only hesitation I have. The plan is to get a 2 year certification from a college, and I was wondering if there are any extra classes I should grab to help along the way to put me in a better position to land a decent job.

I'm coming at this from a bit of a different angle, but what are your drafting software chops? Technical drawing is its own art but I would imagine it is worlds easier than animation. I work in engineering consulting mostly for civil projects, and everything is a good mix of AutoCAD, Microstation, and Revit right now, with pretty much everyone going to Revit for in-building stuff and sticking to AutoCAD for survey/site plans. If you can design interactive mock-ups for projects with 3d models you can probably be hired near instantly. If you don't have those, you can definitely get what you need with a 2 year cert, and might be able to get away with just a couple classes - I imagine your primary deficit is in-field conventions rather than lacking the technical skills to put the lines and layers in the right places. Our industry is hurting for drafters right now so I don't think it'll take much to get a career pivot off the ground.

Rufflebutt
Jun 9, 2016

Fallen Rib

Not a Children posted:

I'm coming at this from a bit of a different angle, but what are your drafting software chops? Technical drawing is its own art but I would imagine it is worlds easier than animation. I work in engineering consulting mostly for civil projects, and everything is a good mix of AutoCAD, Microstation, and Revit right now, with pretty much everyone going to Revit for in-building stuff and sticking to AutoCAD for survey/site plans. If you can design interactive mock-ups for projects with 3d models you can probably be hired near instantly. If you don't have those, you can definitely get what you need with a 2 year cert, and might be able to get away with just a couple classes - I imagine your primary deficit is in-field conventions rather than lacking the technical skills to put the lines and layers in the right places. Our industry is hurting for drafters right now so I don't think it'll take much to get a career pivot off the ground.

I've never used any drafting software so that's why I'm going for the Community College certification. I mainly rebuilt military airfields/training sites in 3d for training purposes. This comment definitely makes me feel like I'm moving in the right direction though so thank you.

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Not really sure where's the right place to put this.

I've been trying to pursue an analyst position because I think I'm good at research and writing. I thought my resume was good besides my GPA, but I've been really discouraged in my job search. I've only received maybe one interview since I started applying. I've been applying to a mix of private sector and non-profit places of different backgrounds. I just have no idea what I'm qualified for.

However, last week I started reaching out to some VISTA positions for data/analyst roles, and I've been getting tons of interest. Very prompt responses and most places I've reached out to via email say they want to see a formal application on the official portal. I even applied to a position this morning and have an interview within a few hours, even if it's only a phone screen. It's like being back in the day when all you had to do was drop off your resume for a professional job.

For those who aren't familiar with VISTA, it's the professional side of AmeriCorps dedicated to capacity building for non-profit organizations as a full-time volunteer with a stipend. Which means your earnings are very, very low.

I did AmeriCorps between 2020-2021, but I didn't want to do it again because of the aforementioned low wages and because volunteering with different organizations can be hit or miss. I know from first hand experience that organizations can either take advantage of your volunteer status or not give you enough work, and I've seen a lot of horror stories on the AmeriCorps subreddit of people unsatisfied with their positions. I also thought I would have enough experience to get a normal professional job, but maybe not.

However, I some advantages. One is that I would likely get to develop skills that I really care about as opposed to working in something I'm not interested in pursuing in the long term. I also think it's a good way to get more non-profit experience in general.

I just don't know if this means I should hold out more and keep looking for a regular job or if this really is the best opportunity for me. I really hate job searching, and I feel so tempted to stop now. Or maybe it's a sign I should keep looking?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I suspect you have a disconnect between your resume and the jobs you're applying for. I'd do some light redacting and post in the Resume Thread along with maybe a couple examples of jobs you want.

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lockback posted:

I suspect you have a disconnect between your resume and the jobs you're applying for. I'd do some light redacting and post in the Resume Thread along with maybe a couple examples of jobs you want.

Is there a reason you think that it's my resume? Just curious. I sent the exact same resume to VISTA as well.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Nirvikalpa posted:

Is there a reason you think that it's my resume? Just curious. I sent the exact same resume to VISTA as well.

Non-profits tend to be a lot less selective in their candidates. So the fact that you are getting traction there and not elsewhere would seem (to me) to likely be a problem with how you're presenting yourself, or maybe you are not targeting the right jobs for your experience.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Resume formating can be a 10x difference. Sorta hosed up that it's that way but it is.

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I got invited to the final round of interviews for a policy analyst position for a small city government. I'm not going to count on getting this job but is this a sign that I should keep looking for a regular job?

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Rufflebutt posted:

I've never used any drafting software so that's why I'm going for the Community College certification. I mainly rebuilt military airfields/training sites in 3d for training purposes. This comment definitely makes me feel like I'm moving in the right direction though so thank you.

One thing I would add to Not a Children's comments is that the this will depend a lot on the kind of industry you want to be in and/or what kind of drafting/drawing you're looking to do.

For example, most 3D modeling and drafting in the mechanical-oriented world will be done in either SolidWorks, Inventor, or CREO. That world also seems to have shifted away (for the most part) from having dedicated drafters, instead shunting all that work to the engineers themselves.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Nirvikalpa posted:

I got invited to the final round of interviews for a policy analyst position for a small city government. I'm not going to count on getting this job but is this a sign that I should keep looking for a regular job?

I would be applying to jobs every day until you have one at a minimum.

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

spwrozek posted:

I would be applying to jobs every day until you have one at a minimum.

I'm saying I'm trying to decide between VISTA and a regular job. I am not sure if it's possible for me to find a normal job in a reasonable timeframe.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

A policy job with a government sounds 100% like a normal job and much better than vista. Maybe pays well, has benefits, etc. VISTA is going to literally take anyone who can help.You laid out your apprehension with VISTA a few posts ago. Has that changed? It will look fine on your resume I am sure. Government job seems real good though.

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Of course if I get the city job I will take it but that's not a guarantee because I assume there are a few other qualified candidates. But I should wait until after the interview to see what happens. I am just afraid it's unlikely I will find such a position within the next few months.

Rufflebutt
Jun 9, 2016

Fallen Rib

Gin_Rummy posted:

One thing I would add to Not a Children's comments is that the this will depend a lot on the kind of industry you want to be in and/or what kind of drafting/drawing you're looking to do.

For example, most 3D modeling and drafting in the mechanical-oriented world will be done in either SolidWorks, Inventor, or CREO. That world also seems to have shifted away (for the most part) from having dedicated drafters, instead shunting all that work to the engineers themselves.

Honestly I went into 3D wanting to make video games and instead went the route of stability and benefits. I don't care so much what I am doing in the industry, more that it's stable, and I can perfect it because I like being good at what I do.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

What are some decently paying jobs that don’t involve staring at computer screens all day and don’t require more than 1 year of school (if such even exists)? I currently make $105k but I hate my job and I hate sitting on a computer all day. I need a change and hope to take not too massive of a hit to my income

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

If you are interested in the trades you usually can learn on the job. If you become a lineman you can make some serious bank, especially if you are willing to travel and work longer days. most trades take a bit of time to get up to that level of pay but they are a good option.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

blue squares posted:

What are some decently paying jobs that don’t involve staring at computer screens all day and don’t require more than 1 year of school (if such even exists)? I currently make $105k but I hate my job and I hate sitting on a computer all day. I need a change and hope to take not too massive of a hit to my income

Do you have any skills that aren’t excel and/or computer bullshit

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Orange DeviI posted:

Do you have any skills that aren’t excel and/or computer bullshit

Not really… I was an electrician in helicopters in the Navy but I got out a decade ago.

I’m an excellent communicator. I can talk and write with skill. I can deal with people very well. But I don’t have any hard skills really besides technical stuff for my computer job.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Plumbers and welders can both make pretty good money

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

blue squares posted:

Not really… I was an electrician in helicopters in the Navy but I got out a decade ago.

I’m an excellent communicator. I can talk and write with skill. I can deal with people very well. But I don’t have any hard skills really besides technical stuff for my computer job.

Sales is still computer time for the high comp roles but less than a lot of other jobs. Also sort of allowed to hate it culturally which might help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Got an offer for a job with the city I live in. I will be a city employee. I am in California, getting CalPers pension. Reading the employment offer it says:
"you have the option of being represented by the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local 1245 (“IBEW”), should you choose."

Do I join the union? I am generally pro-union, but it says "should you choose" I am confused why I have the choice.

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 15, 2022