Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

30 is fine in this game imo. Yeah it takes like 20 minutes for the eyes to adjust but I don’t even notice it anymore.

One of the few games I’ve played at 30 because the difference in visual fidelity feels really noticeable. Most games I don’t think it’s worth the trade off but in this case I’d rather just deal with 30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
Just finished the Lv 20-ish (it’s either 20 or 22, mind’s drawing a blank) story quest, and then the one that immediately follows that.

I don’t care what reality says, Nessie is real and I just killed her robot in Vegas. :(

Also, hard agree on Ashly Burch deserving an award. That first sequence in the base with Aloy and Beta was just…drat.

Personal speculation spoilers follow: In before Ted Faro actually went with Far Zenith, we find this out in Thebes, and we get to shoot him in the dick as a Zenith boss fight.

Resuming the Lv 17 story quest tomorrow, some 28 hours deep into the game. I’ve been exploring and doing almost everything that comes in front of me, but if I’m wanting to at least beat the game before I go back to work on Monday I probably need to step up the pace a little.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I really like how the designers took the love for robot dinosaurs from the first game, and just absolutely tripled down on that

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Captain Hygiene posted:

I really like how the designers took the love for robot dinosaurs from the first game, and just absolutely tripled down on that

There are so many new models of robots, Harmony Gold is filing an injunction.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
How many new dinosaurs are there in the game? I figured there would be a couple but that overall there wouldn't be that many changes.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I loving love Erend. Dude (mid-game spoilers) gets brought in to the base, is given a focus, and immediately dials in on old world music, shows, and now wants to build a drum suit? MY MAN

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It's kind of funny how Aloy is such an rear end in a top hat to everyone. She treats almost everyone like they're an overly chatty acquaintance she ran into at the grocery store and wants to disengage from. Like I think they're going for "Aloy wants to carry this burden alone and keeps people at a distance because of this," but it comes off more like she's just annoyed and doesn't want to deal with anyone else.

I guess it kind of makes sense given her background, but I still feel kinda bad for the characters who interact with her. I try to help by always choosing the heart options when interacting with friendly characters (unfriendly ones get the fist).

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I loving love Erend. Dude (mid-game spoilers) gets brought in to the base, is given a focus, and immediately dials in on old world music, shows, and now wants to build a drum suit? MY MAN

And not just any old world music the music of Concrete Beach Party

I finished the game last night. Major spoilers for the end: I really enjoyed the story. I can see some of the complaints about the the story not having the same mystery behind it, but I didn't go into it expecting one. The game doesn't present itself in that way either. It's about getting GAIA and her family back together to save the world. Even so, there are still revelations to be revealed such as who actually sent the signal that woke up HADES and it wasn't the Zeniths we see. It's good that they are shown to us early in the game since they're misdirection for us. The true culprit is the Shrieking White-Hot Sphere of Pure Rage who I'm thinking is the main Far Zenith guy in the holograms at the beginning.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Anyone run into bugged quests? I completed everything in the side quest Breaking Even and it won't let me talk to the NPC to turn it in.

Edit: Nevermind. It doesn't make total sense but I had to begin the Need To Know quest in the same area to let me talk to the NPC.

The Postman fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 23, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
around level 30 and the combat's really beginning to lose me. there wasn't anything in sifu that made me curse up a blue streak like the average encounter in this game. enemies are too fast. they hit too hard. they soak up too much damage and they won't. ever. loving. hold. still. factor in the cumbersome weapon selection and the even worse tool selection and even trivial encounters become grudge matches, which is a real problem considering how many parts the later weapons/armor ask of you. the elemental canisters let me balance it out at the start, but now all of them are armored from the front making them nigh-impossible to hit

the terrain is a pain in the rear end too. my first rockbreaker encounter had me constantly getting snagged on a single tree about two and a half feet tall. fortunately, the rockbreaker also could not bypass this dread obstacle, so keeping it between the two of us let me circumvent most of its melee

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

It's kind of funny how Aloy is such an rear end in a top hat to everyone. She treats almost everyone like they're an overly chatty acquaintance she ran into at the grocery store and wants to disengage from. Like I think they're going for "Aloy wants to carry this burden alone and keeps people at a distance because of this," but it comes off more like she's just annoyed and doesn't want to deal with anyone else.

I guess it kind of makes sense given her background, but I still feel kinda bad for the characters who interact with her. I try to help by always choosing the heart options when interacting with friendly characters (unfriendly ones get the fist).

I think the game intentionally portrays it as a character flaw that she's probably supposed to overcome in the course of the trilogy and she makes some steps toward that in this game. She's called out on it a few times by her friends, especially early on. It's a good bit of character writing in my opinion. It makes sense given her isolated background that she'd be pretty bad at having patience with other people... and it lets the game cut to the chase with quest objectives and let you get on playing without being unnatural in conversation.

Enderzero posted:

You mentioned something that just clicked into place about why 30 fps is so bad in a game like this. Movies, when they pan horizontally, usually do it in a slowish controlled manner because horizontal moves make the frame rate very obvious since it’s wide and you see each frame update. That’s also when I notice the limitations of 24fps most. So a game like this, where you do a lot of swinging the camera around, really makes it obvious. When characters are, say, moving towards the screen in a cutscene, the horizontal (and vertical, I suppose) changes between frames are much smaller and it’s not really a distraction.

60fps is definitely fine. At 90 it’s sweet and anything above is gravy except in a game like Rocket League where it’s constant trajectory calculations and split second moves. It’s a special beast.

Yeah, this is very tangential, but panning speed limitations have long been a pain in film-making. You have three options to avoid giving the audience headaches. Pan extremely slow so there are no gaps in motion, pan extremely fast so everything is too blurred for the gaps to be visible, or have a focal point move at the same speed as the pan to distract from the gaps. Next time you see a camera move to follow an extra, like a waiter walking across a restaurant, look at the background to see how bad it stutters. That extra is there to keep you from noticing. Having more freedom in camera moves was one of the big motivations behind James Cameron, Peter Jackson, and Douglas Trumbell trying to introduce higher frame rates in movies several years back.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I am around level 15 so far in my very hard playthrough. I been leveling up a bit of everything except the machine/trap skills. I am sure they are fine but I am going for pure ranged combat + some stealth/melee for situational passives/boosts. Actually I thought very hard was unplayable during the prologue even poo poo enemies one shot you, that still happens even if you max armor at the time I am but it's not as bad as I thought. If you max concentration + spam jumping + dashing you can pick off enemy parts really quickly. Also you can get valor/weapon stamina to charge really fast really early and that just seems broken. Your dps is insanely high + you can heal from your dps with the ranged valor ability. The combat isn't as hard as I thought but I am still early but bosses are easier on very hard than regular mobs. Since everything can one shot or two shot you it's easier to 1v1 than 1v5.

I thought fights would take forever but they are still pretty fast if you have the correct arrows. I kinda do semi completionist playthroughs and there is so much poo poo to do in this game so it's taking time to make progress but I recommend very hard just don't think the whole game will be as hard as the early intro.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Aloy spent her entire life not talking to anyone and pretty much relying on herself (and Rost) for everything, so it's not a surprise that she has problems connecting with people. Combine that with Elisabet's personality being one of "I have to do this myself" and you have a good explanation for why Aloy doesn't quite treat people the best.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the events of HZD led aloy to believe that she was literally the only competent person in the world and it takes some time to shake her out of it

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh my loving God this loving game what the gently caress

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
mainlined the main story bc im about to have way less time for this and im at the penultimate mission and this poo poo whips.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Oh my loving God this loving game what the gently caress

lol which bit did you just hit

JBP posted:

Very late game presumably re Regalla you better believe my boy Kotallo got blood for blood

late game spoilers:

hell yea. after that i was like lets go do your side quest Kotallo and get my boy a new arm

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Relentlessboredomm posted:

lol which bit did you just hit

I reached Landfall and did the quest that took place in it. SPOILERS AHEAD: the entirety of Thebes was incredible. The statue, the corruptors, the data/voice recording from survivors, the motherfucking ceo and of course… him. Holy loving poo poo I’ve never been so unnerved going through a mission knowing how easily the story could make a swerve and gently caress aloy over but they played it so well.

gently caress YOU FOREVER, TED

What an incredible game. I’m like lvl 37 and it’s starting to hit me that Elden Ring is out soon so I’m starting to focus on the main story just to see it through. I hopes there’s the good LL save before final mission or an open post game where I can continue exploring and leveling up at a slower pace throughout the next couple of weeks. I think I’ve genuinely been putting 10+ hours a day since it’s coming out. This game has consumed me entirely. It’s great.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Hahaha the names of the land gods

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Just finished Cradle of Echos and want to reiterate this:

Jimbot posted:

Just finished The Eye of the Earth: fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuck those capitalists. Once again they ruin everything.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I reached Landfall and did the quest that took place in it. SPOILERS AHEAD: the entirety of Thebes was incredible. The statue, the corruptors, the data/voice recording from survivors, the motherfucking ceo and of course… him. Holy loving poo poo I’ve never been so unnerved going through a mission knowing how easily the story could make a swerve and gently caress aloy over but they played it so well.

gently caress YOU FOREVER, TED

What an incredible game. I’m like lvl 37 and it’s starting to hit me that Elden Ring is out soon so I’m starting to focus on the main story just to see it through. I hopes there’s the good LL save before final mission or an open post game where I can continue exploring and leveling up at a slower pace throughout the next couple of weeks. I think I’ve genuinely been putting 10+ hours a day since it’s coming out. This game has consumed me entirely. It’s great.

yea that bit rules. i was so thrilled with how they handled it. i still think the vegas mission is my favorite in this game but that ones a close second

i'd say after the part you've been anticipating, like with the inaccessible longneck, there's an interlude where you should do important sidequests for characters that might be involved with the final mission. you'll see what i mean when you get there.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I like the girl who's character seems to just be "Really likes explosions"

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I just barely squeaked by Underwater Salvage without having an full blown anxiety attack, after not having had too bad a time in Vegas. Could be because I actually got found by the Snapjaws here vs. avoiding them completely there. Anything else match that level of open water exposure I need to watch out for? I probably would have bailed altogether if it wasn’t the last quest I needed for the Oseram Artifcer armor.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hollismason posted:

How many new dinosaurs are there in the game? I figured there would be a couple but that overall there wouldn't be that many changes.

Almost all off the machines are new, however as before only an incredibly small minority are dinosaurs.

Oxxidation posted:

the events of HZD led aloy to believe that she was literally the only competent person in the world and it takes some time to shake her out of it

And considering that the one other competent person from the first game has done nothing but ghost and betray her, she has some reason to be distrustful.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

bobjr posted:

I like the girl who's character seems to just be "Really likes explosions"

I can't remember what Aloy says, but the cold stare Boomer gives her at one point was great.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Just finished The Dying Lands/The Eye of the Earth, and man, this game does not waste any time on getting to plot revelations. I see what the reviews meant about this leaning much more heavily on the sci fi elements, and I'm loving it. Space invaders from Sirius!

I feel like I should do the quest line closer to my level next, but drat, I really do want to visit Vegas.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

These games tend to expose Aloy’s character development by giving her an even more extreme example to play off of. In Zero Dawn she’s really only interested in her own identity at first, so at the same point where she begins to understand her greater role in the world, she’s handed Sylens who is nothing but relentlessly self-interested. In Forbidden West she’s clearly trying to live up to Sobeck’s example and thinks nobody else can handle the task ahead of her, so who should she meet but another clone of Elisabet who thinks Aloy is just as hopeless as everyone else, which puts her in the uncomfortable position of now defending the same people who she initially thought were not up to task.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I just finished the game and I'm disappointed that the final reveal wasn't literal aliens

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Firegleam icons don't get removed from your map after you ignite them?

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Niwrad posted:

I'm still real early in the game but does anyone have some skill tree suggestions? I have no clue what valor or weapon stamina is.

Bumrush Braced Shot asap

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

goblin week posted:

Bumrush Braced Shot asap

It's wonderful, the first skill i beelined. I finally decided to get more weapon stamina at level 29 and I wish I'd done it sooner.

Have you tried it with the Advanced Hardpoints yet?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I first tried out Braced Shot on that one early hunting quest where you kill a special fanghorn in the flower fields just outside the Daunt. It’s like an actual gun.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Firegleam icons don't get removed from your map after you ignite them?

They are removed the first time you destroy them but the icons (but not the firegleam) comes back after loading. Looks like a bug.

I’m just about to start the level 30 main story mission, how far am I from the end? Also, is there any advantage to doing the «loyalty» missions for your buddies?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I’m also finding some stuff on the map is mislabeled, like I came across a metal flower and the map said firegleam

Saved up for purple stuff and now I find out about orange stuff

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Much like the original game I found beelining the story and taking in the sights without worrying about all the extra stuff (except the side quests which were good) was an extremely pleasant and bug-reduced experience.

JBP fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Feb 23, 2022

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I really miss Aloy's long dodge from the first game. You can really get stuck in a bad loop where you're going to get smoked 3-4 times in a row with no chance to get far enough away with some of the new enemies who are huge but still really fast

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The early(ish. I'm lvl 13, a few missions in to the main map) game weapon progression is kind of frustrating and either there is something I don't get, or it just feels more bloated than the first game. Instead of just having bows that do all around stuff like a bow that does elemental damage, and a bow that does special physical damage basic bow etc. it's all over the place and I need a different bow for literally everything. The type of damage seems redundant and I have different bows that use multiple ammos.

My whole weapon wheel is full and it's mostly all crap, because the game doesn't allow you to attach a single coil to a weapon without upgrading it to max level, meaning all of my elemental poo poo feels completely useless atm. I can hit something 3x in a row with a shock tripwore and it's not enough to even get it near being shocked. So I have basically stuck to my normal rear end bow that does some extra tear damage and before that the starting bow.

Also haven't encountered any of the fun or really good arrow types from HZD yet. Where are my tearblasts and hardpoints?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

el oso posted:

I really miss Aloy's long dodge from the first game. You can really get stuck in a bad loop where you're going to get smoked 3-4 times in a row with no chance to get far enough away with some of the new enemies who are huge but still really fast

Yeah for sure. The enemies are relentless and the terrain has all sorts of stuff to get stuck on. It can be really hard to get some distance to heal or line up a shot.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

veni veni veni posted:

The early(ish. I'm lvl 13, a few missions in to the main map) game weapon progression is kind of frustrating and either there is something I don't get, or it just feels more bloated than the first game. Instead of just having bows that do all around stuff like a bow that does elemental damage, and a bow that does special physical damage basic bow etc. it's all over the place and I need a different bow for literally everything. The type of damage seems redundant and I have different bows that use multiple ammos.

My whole weapon wheel is full and it's mostly all crap, because the game doesn't allow you to attach a single coil to a weapon without upgrading it to max level, meaning all of my elemental poo poo feels completely useless atm. I can hit something 3x in a row with a shock tripwore and it's not enough to even get it near being shocked. So I have basically stuck to my normal rear end bow that does some extra tear damage and before that the starting bow.

Also haven't encountered any of the fun or really good arrow types from HZD yet. Where are my tearblasts and hardpoints?

generic hunting bow arrows are hardpoints, are they not? but yeah the lack of the basic weapon level progression from HZD makes choosing a loadout much more complicated in a not great way. getting new weapons is expensive and you can't exactly try before you buy, and then you have to think about which to sink upgrade points into :|

the but thou musts in the game are quite amusing sometimes. love the guard in the memorial grove yelling "YOU MUST USE THE CENTER STAIRCASE OUTLANDER" so you can properly trigger the cutscene. tried to do a chill "get all the tallnecks" bit tonight but then realized that the game will not, in fact, let you swim to san francisco. at least the little scene at treasure island was nice

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Tallnecks are like puzzles now and one is locked by story. For real I recommend doing the story first then the open world stuff and working on your weapons. I had two go to weapons alongside my elementals and they just carried me through boss encounters. Get yourself a weapon that just makes explosions, they're the new everything good.

Also if you can't be hosed upgrade powershots to max and forget the meter like I do then break it out on problems. Power shots make problems disappear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

generic hunting bow arrows are hardpoints, are they not? but yeah the lack of the basic weapon level progression from HZD makes choosing a loadout much more complicated in a not great way. getting new weapons is expensive and you can't exactly try before you buy, and then you have to think about which to sink upgrade points into :|

the but thou musts in the game are quite amusing sometimes. love the guard in the memorial grove yelling "YOU MUST USE THE CENTER STAIRCASE OUTLANDER" so you can properly trigger the cutscene. tried to do a chill "get all the tallnecks" bit tonight but then realized that the game will not, in fact, let you swim to san francisco. at least the little scene at treasure island was nice

It might have changed without me realizing it, but hardpoints were just regular arrows with extra damage and no downside in the first one. there was no reason not to use them. Maybe they just consolidated that and I didn't notice. Not 100% sure.

Either way yeah the way this game handles weapon progression is weird