Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I've watched the first two episodes of Murder in Successville and yeah it's literally Murderville before Murderville.

That said the show is much harder to follow and is just "too British" for me. The humor doesn't appeal to me.

Also tried watching the original on YouTube since this thread said it was better and it didn’t do much for me either. Maybe because they were doing impressions of people I’ve never heard of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
you've never heard of lady gaga, taylor swift, jay z, etc.?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Weekly releasing has won. Splitting seasons into two parts has won. 2-3 year delays between seasons have won. I hate it all so much but fine, whatever, I can accept it. I'll just stick to bingeing when seasons are over. I just wish it was easier to find out when a season finale of a show is without getting spoiled.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Staggered media release leaves the battlefield as the sole victor. The war ... is over.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Streaming... streaming never changes

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Lazy_Liberal posted:

you've never heard of lady gaga, taylor swift, jay z, etc.?

Heh, so I looked it up and I thought it was a bad impression of Jimmy and Alan Carr but I guess they are playing themselves. But still barely know who they are.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

SunshineDanceParty posted:

It was a Fox show four years ago. It's long dead.

Oh, I only just noticed it on my Hulu, nice work me

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i'm not even a big Kanye fan (especially his later stuff) but Jeen-yus is super fascinating

what a deeply mentally ill person he is

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Peacemaker was a very pleasant surprise last night. I watched four episodes in a row and can't wait to see what happens next.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Watched the first episode of "All of Us Dead" finally and really enjoyed it. That said the bullies in the show come across as complete sociopaths. They make the bullies in Cobra Kai seem like playful teasing.

According to my friend who is in Korea this is more or less an accurate representation of school there currently.

smackfu posted:

Also tried watching the original on YouTube since this thread said it was better and it didn’t do much for me either. Maybe because they were doing impressions of people I’ve never heard of?

Episode 3 to 6 almost every impression was an American celebrity like Miley Cyrus or Jay-Z.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
So, Kimi, that's the actor who played Buzz in Home Alone

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Nihonniboku posted:

cool guy
https://people.com/crime/home-alone-devin-ratray-arrested-after-allegedly-trying-to-strangle-girlfriend/

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Nihonniboku posted:

I actually recognised him because he reprised his role in Home Sweet Home Alone last year.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Severance (Apple TV+) is actually grabbing me. It's a little bit of what is becoming a common trope that I'm calling "mysterious retrofuturism" but the 2 episodes released so far are worth watching. The fundamental concept, which is explained right away but I'm spoilering it anyway in case you want to go in 100% blind, is that the technology exists to separate your personality and memory into work and not at work, so you functionally have 2 lives that know nothing about each other. 2 Episodes in and they've already explored some interesting ideas relating to that.

Space Force Season 2 was exactly what I expected after season 1. Not very funny or clever, mildly amusing most of the time. Not a significant improvement from season 1. I don't know why I watched it. It's on the cusp of being decent but the writing just isn't there for me.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Woof

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

was hunting for my white whale--a 90 minute action movie--and came across "The One" starring Jet Li. I remember it being critically dumped on, but I watched it, and it was incredibly fun. might be a bit of nostalgia for a time when you could get away with playing Papa Roach over a fight montage, but I was having a great time the entire way through. probably not quite "due for a reappraisal" but it was great schlock that never felt too long.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Famethrowa posted:

was hunting for my white whale--a 90 minute action movie
What have been your gold standards for this?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Coaaab posted:

What have been your gold standards for this?

I think the best recent examples are for sure The Raid or Dredd. If we're talking mid 2000's schlock, I genuinely think The One might be up there after watching it but Crank is also fair shout. If you want something schlocky but self-aware Shaolin Soccer is absolutely wonderful.

Something so imminently wonderful about a quick jolt of action in light of the modern 2 hour action slog.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I am nobody's bitch. You are mine

:swoon:

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 22, 2022

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I am nobody's bitch. You are mine

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

Found some relatively up to date streaming market share statistics: https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/report-hbo-max-gained-2-marketshare-with-netflix-down-2-in-q4-2021/

HBOMax is winning big. Netflix plummeted with a brief rescue in the early fall likely by Squid Game. Amazon Prime Video seems to be following in the same footsteps as Netflix. Disney/Hulu stagnates. AppleTV+ is gaining probably due to Ted Lasso and iPhone 13 launch. Paramount Plus made big gains in December but can't see if it stuck.

If I subscribe to Paramount+ through Amazon Prime because I need to indoctrinate my children on old Star Trek and don't want yet another app to manage--whose stats am I adding to? Prime, Paramount, or is there some double-dipping involved?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Famethrowa posted:

was hunting for my white whale--a 90 minute action movie--and came across "The One" starring Jet Li. I remember it being critically dumped on, but I watched it, and it was incredibly fun. might be a bit of nostalgia for a time when you could get away with playing Papa Roach over a fight montage, but I was having a great time the entire way through. probably not quite "due for a reappraisal" but it was great schlock that never felt too long.

oh man that movie is so stupid and fun

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Pioneer42 posted:

If I subscribe to Paramount+ through Amazon Prime because I need to indoctrinate my children on old Star Trek and don't want yet another app to manage--whose stats am I adding to? Prime, Paramount, or is there some double-dipping involved?

I didn’t make the chart but I assume double dipping.

I doubt Hulu will be dip in future charts due to the Disney Bundle for example.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Back to watching Peacemaker and episode 2 is an improvement over the first. I’ll stick with the show. I did find the reveal of the father being a super villain(?)Aryan Nation leader rather than just a typical rear end in a top hat Thanksgiving racist to be dumb.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 22, 2022

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
They actually run with it, if that alleviates your concerns.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Yeah, it's not like they were just trying to figure out how to make him unlikable and added that bit, it's a character element that is important and not ignored.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Famethrowa posted:

The One owns, i wrote a finals paper about it, Matrix, and T2 for a science & religion class in college. Best final ever.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
re: The One, I have a very distinct memory of being at a LAN party in ~2003 in which one of us was suggesting we watch The One and I suggested Equilibrium. Halfway through Equilibrium, the person who suggested The One said "this [Equilibrium] is way better". Equilibrium is also about 90 mins without credits but I have no clue how it tracks today compared to The One. I'll probably go watch it now anyway. It's on HBO Max apparently!

Kind of an interesting comparison of post-Matrix movies. The One leans into the action and modern music, Equilibrium just does the style and guns with 10x the 1984. Both are silly as hell for different reasons. I stand by my choice, 18 years later.

edit: should be made clear that both are stupid, and yes Equilibrium thinks it is much more profound than it is. Still fun.

Glottis fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Feb 23, 2022

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
The One is the goofy-rear end movie that people pretend Equilibrium is and I love them both

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
double post

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
That's tricky because I like Equilibrium more but it is very much a dumb guy movie pretending to be smart, whereas the One just embraces being a dumb guy movie from the second you see that evil Jet Li has killed rastafarian Jet Li so I might respect it a little more

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I've never been able to figure out if Taye Diggs constant smiling is intentional or not in Equilibrium, and I think the answer to that question will ultimately decide my judgement of the movie.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I guess I gotta watch Equilibrium next if it's on streaming.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Can anyone enlighten me to as why HBO and Hulu are both getting the same new releases at the same time? I thought with new releases there was generally exclusivity deals.

Also, I'm seeing now that the Amazon exclusive One Mississippi is also now on Hulu. What is going on?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Speaking of The One, I just caught Kiss Of The Dragon on Netflix and it held up better than I'd expected. There's something endearingly 90s about Jet Li carrying around a bracelet of acupuncture needles that he uses in fights to paralyze people by poking their meridians :allears:. The final fight scene is also legitimately very good, full of little narrative moments in a way that you don't seem to see very much anymore:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlAVHzIZZvI

fortocero
Jul 23, 2007

I could feel his muscle tissues collapse under my force. It's ludicrous these mortals even attempt to enter my realm.
The One is just dumb goofy fun. Jet Li fighting himself while pretty awful yet period-reminiscent nu-metal plays in the background. I put it on for some background noise recently and couldn't help grinning cheesily as the first sequence has that "Let the bodies hit the floor" song and then Disturbed's Down with the sickness plays over the next fight.

Also you get Jason Statham before he becomes Jason Statham.

fortocero fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Feb 23, 2022

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Nihonniboku posted:

Can anyone enlighten me to as why HBO and Hulu are both getting the same new releases at the same time? I thought with new releases there was generally exclusivity deals.

Also, I'm seeing now that the Amazon exclusive One Mississippi is also now on Hulu. What is going on?

Disney and WarnerMedia made a deal for content sharing last year.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Perestroika posted:

Speaking of The One, I just caught Kiss Of The Dragon on Netflix and it held up better than I'd expected. There's something endearingly 90s about Jet Li carrying around a bracelet of acupuncture needles that he uses in fights to paralyze people by poking their meridians :allears:. The final fight scene is also legitimately very good, full of little narrative moments in a way that you don't seem to see very much anymore:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlAVHzIZZvI

Hell yeah, been a while since I watched that fight. That quick blonde dude was always fun to watch in the stuff he showed up in. What's My Name also had a fun fight with him iirc.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Simplex posted:

I've never been able to figure out if Taye Diggs constant smiling is intentional or not in Equilibrium, and I think the answer to that question will ultimately decide my judgement of the movie.

Cleric.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Simplex posted:

Please don't judge me but I remember watching the DVD commentary and it's mentioned that the director allowed him to do that to give his character a unique trait. Not sure why I remember that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

fortocero posted:

The One is just dumb goofy fun. Jet Li fighting himself while pretty awful yet period-reminiscent nu-metal plays in the background. I put it on for some background noise recently and couldn't help grinning cheesily as the first sequence has that "Let the bodies hit the floor" song and then Disturbed's Down with the sickness plays over the next fight.

Also you get Jason Statham before he becomes Jason Statham.

Man I should rewatch this, all I remember is some final fight with a bunch of sparks and the very last shot.