Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

this thread has a problem generally with overreacting to room temperature IQ posters generally anyway. I know we all want to yell at our posting enemies, but calm down.

to be fair, this thread does get a new bowtie spinning dipshit every six hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Penisaurus Sex posted:

if my cohort is anything go by they’re already stuffed full of a very odd kind of nihilism that manifests either in hedonism or asceticism.

I think mostly we’re all ready for something new, if even to just exhale for a bit.

At this point I would take genuine nihilism just as a relief from the kind of media-brained moralism that dominates American political chatter.

redneck nazgul posted:

to be fair, this thread does get a new bowtie spinning dipshit every six hours

All I'm saying is that this thread's approach should be more Lavrov, less Putin.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

indigi posted:

if the regions are overwhelmingly anti-Ukrainian and appealing to Russia for protection idk how much you can claim sovereignty was violated just because they didn’t have time to get official referenda together (which overwhelmingly passed)

Eh I'm still not really convinced by referendums passed after the war had already been started for them (especially outside of Crimea which was much more Russian oriented.) If a hypothetical Prime Directive Russia had waited to intervene (and again, if the US wasn't stirring the pot) I don't know if the situation would get as bad as it is now

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Lostconfused posted:

Exactly, that's why Ukraine has to be stopped.

indigi posted:

this is what ukraine did though

hahahahhahhahahaha

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Penisaurus Sex posted:

if my cohort is anything go by they’re already stuffed full of a very odd kind of nihilism that manifests either in hedonism or asceticism.

I think mostly we’re all ready for something new, if even to just exhale for a bit.

Domestically, I think so - between Bernie, Corbyn, Occupy, COVID. I think Millennials are coming around - with Liz Warren supporters being the exception, Millennials That Made it.

Internationally - look at all the pearl clutching over the Rules Based International Order. I don’t think they question it, and notably Bernie, Corbyn, DSA, NDP, Corbyn’s Labour all consistently towed the Neoliberal line when it came to foreign policy.

Now History is starting up again there too, and if D&D, reddit and GBS are in any way indicative Millennials want 1995 back just as much as Gen X and Boomers.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

this thread has a problem generally with overreacting to room temperature IQ posters generally anyway. I know we all want to yell at our posting enemies, but calm down.

no gently caress you

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

i logged onto Facebook for some reason and saw someone flogging a NR article on Ukraine praising Jeane "those nuns had it coming" Kirkpatrick; so it could be worse

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

its time to accept the separatist states of Hong Kong and Taiwan do not belong to China

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

no gently caress you

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

no gently caress you

in your case the room temp is rather low

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

This poo poo is too hard to understand stfu

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

eat poo poo, pener, you stupid rear end in a top hat.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
I will say I have never interacted with an Acela corridor team player Liberal in my life.

if I had maybe I’d have a much more dim view of the possibility of change in American politics.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

no gently caress you

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Glimm posted:

hahahahhahhahahaha

:ironicat:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
ive read a whole bunch of poo poo and listened to some pods and overall my determination is: too confusing, dont care, let these people live their lives. some hosed up slav poo poo. whatever

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

username/post combo

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

nice! I wonder what kind of fireworks Putin has in store for the people of Mariupol and Kramatorsk

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Flavahbeast posted:

nice! I wonder what kind of fireworks Putin has in store for the people of Mariupol and Kramatorsk

hes preparing a parade for kiev on the belarus border

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Glimm posted:

username/post combo

ok

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Atrocious Joe posted:

Ukrainian government claims 14,000 killed in the war so far in a little less than 8 years

John Hopkins says 112k Ukrainians have died of COVID

Galaxy brain: Zelensky should give Ukraine to COVID-19.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Why were they even trying to expand NATO and the EU eastwards after 2012, when it was clear both institutions were clearly teetering? Even after 2006 or 2008, the dream was dead.

Post Brexit, the UK isn’t a part of the EU but THEE Ukraine should be?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Horseshoe theory posted:

lol

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Frosted Flake posted:

Why were they even trying to expand NATO and the EU eastwards after 2012, when it was clear both institutions were clearly teetering? Even after 2006 or 2008, the dream was dead.

organizational mid-life crisis

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I took an undergrad course called Democratic Consolidation in Eastern Europe in 2009, and as dumb as I was then, it didn’t seem to be going well, even to me.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Horseshoe theory posted:

lol

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Conspiratiorist posted:

organizational mid-life crisis

hey Ukraine, me and my anti-Russian alliance saw you across the bar and we like your vibe

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Never forget that in the 1990s Russia offered to join NATO. They probably could have been integrated into the EU as well.

NATO rejected Russia.

Just an utter geopolitical self-own by the West then, and now.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

Imperialism always demands new markets

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Frosted Flake posted:

Why were they even trying to expand NATO and the EU eastwards after 2012, with both institutions were clearly teetering.

because of a few reasons

1. the guys running poo poo haven’t changed since the early 2000’s.

2. I think there’s a strong level of wounded pride/vengeance among #1. not to the same level we have with Iran, but it’s certainly there.

3. it’s important to not give an inch to Russia (and China but we finally realized we lost that one).

Russia can never be integrated into the world society from the US’ view.

I think the real demarcation is when it becomes possible to endure US sanctions through trade with Russia and China. Once we broke that barrier for countries like Germany it becomes much less important to maintain good relations with the US vs, say, Russia.

our ability to maintain a sphere of influence in Europe has waned quite a lot since 2001. maybe it always would have, but Iraq and Afghanistan have had massive costs that our aristocracy are trying very hard to ignore.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

Fireworks?! Honking?!

More proof that the illegal occupation of Ottawa was a Russian plot!

https://twitter.com/SallyMayweather...ingawful.com%2F

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The response will be to claim that the peacekeeping mission is what they meant all along by an "invasion," and stonewalling Putin stopped them from going any further.

Any thread regular ITT is a freakin' Nostradamus compared to every late coming epic win Trump poster.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

war sucks

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

Smythe posted:

ive read a whole bunch of poo poo and listened to some pods and overall my determination is: too confusing, dont care, let these people live their lives. some hosed up slav poo poo. whatever

wow tankie much? how does putin's cock taste bitch???

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

American presidencies are fanatically committed to continuity in foreign policy, unless it's something a Republican doesn't like. So the end result is something like Obama making all of the Bush admin's foreign policies permanent while Trump tears up the Iran nuclear deal.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Liberals in Canada are sure going way out of their way to compare the trucker convoy to white supremacists and neo-nazis.

Which should really make you question what you think of them if you've been hoodwinked into thinking the truckers represent fascism in any way.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Kill All Cops posted:

I’m going to post about posters for a moment.

Mods are management and we are staff. They just need us all to not create problems. Unless an admin makes them, they aren’t going to do poo poo. Because if they do, CSPAM revs up it’s crazy engines and posts endlessly about how something is unfair or whatever. The mods have cursed, godforsaken jobs and CSPAM is full of the absolute worst, miserable, terminally online poster on this site. Just enjoy your forum’s and let them “enjoy” theirs.

thats right b*tch

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
screw with the worst, meltdown n resign like the rest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Lyndon LaRouche posted:

Never forget that in the 1990s Russia offered to join NATO. They probably could have been integrated into the EU as well.

NATO rejected Russia.

Just an utter geopolitical self-own by the West then, and now.

bit hard to justify all that military industrial complex gifting without a big scary enemy country full of bad naughty men