Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Shine posted:

For anybody who thinks "Porco Rosso-inspired seaplane game about running a brewery" sounds dope, you're in luck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ygOuV-T9cU

Demo: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1636710/The_Brew_Barons/

You can play it either War Thunder mouse style, or with a joystick/HOTAS (which I've found much easier). The realism is about on par with War Thunder's Realistic mode, so it's forgiving, but you can't just TIE fighter your way around.

You harvest fruit and vegetables by shooting them with water bolts, and you harvest wheat by skimming the surface and chopping it up with your propeller. Then make it into whatever booze you can, and sell it to local bars. At some point, beer pirates will get mad at you and try to gently caress your poo poo up, at which point things go full TaleSpin.

It's scratching a similar itch that Sim Copter did when I was a kid. Good poo poo so far.

God loving drat if this meets even a fraction of my Hopes and Dreams it’ll be a problematic game for me, in that I’ll put in too many hours.

lobsterminator posted:

This looks amazing. I think I'll try it only when it's properly released.

I enjoy flight sims, tedious work simulators and business tycoon games and this seems to combine them all.

I, too, am at the exact intersection of flight sim, tedious work, and management/tycoon game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

sigher posted:

I literally had an idea for a game like this, with a Porco Rosso-esque setting (It's my favorite Ghibli film) without the brewery thing but hell yeah, I'm in. Thanks for bringing this up!

I would like this to be good, but its status as a kickstarter project has me highly skeptical. I can easily see this being just this trailer extended across a whole game, where you will have like two things to do in the plane between some barebones business management poo poo.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Yeah, it doesn't seem like there's much meat on the bone but the art itself wins me over. I don't really understand the brewery part, it seems like I won't want to do that after about an hour. I'm not sure who wants a brewery game but I'm sure there is a market, I just don't get the whimsical flight "sim" having much of an overlap with playerbase. I mean I guess if "Dwarves Mining" and "Starship Troopers, but Horde Mode" gave us Deep Rock Galactic than sure, I'm down to give anything a go.

The idea I had would have been Porco Rosso meets Lupin the 3rd, where you plan goofy heists however you want (with on foot ground sections) and you'd have a bunch of escape vehicles and options but ultimately you'd have to take to the skies for dogfights and acrobatics to get away. I think that could be a fun idea.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Shine posted:

For anybody who thinks "Porco Rosso-inspired seaplane game about running a brewery" sounds dope, you're in luck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ygOuV-T9cU

Demo: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1636710/The_Brew_Barons/

You can play it either War Thunder mouse style, or with a joystick/HOTAS (which I've found much easier). The realism is about on par with War Thunder's Realistic mode, so it's forgiving, but you can't just TIE fighter your way around.

You harvest fruit and vegetables by shooting them with water bolts, and you harvest wheat by skimming the surface and chopping it up with your propeller. Then make it into whatever booze you can, and sell it to local bars. At some point, beer pirates will get mad at you and try to gently caress your poo poo up, at which point things go full TaleSpin.

It's scratching a similar itch that Sim Copter did when I was a kid. Good poo poo so far.

This is a really weird crossover and I hope that I don't forget to try it because it looks rad.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Really hoping that the demo > full game isn’t just purely “this, but stretched over ~20 hours” and kind of builds on what it has. There’s definitely a really cool and unique streak to it and I’ll take the chance on their Kickstarter, but I’d be worried that after about trip 5 to get a bunch of wheat or apples I’d be sorely tired of doing that. I like the business side - just enough character and input that it feels like you’re building a neat little business and your bar has a coziness that I enjoy.

I think my ideal would be shifting it just a touch more into Cargo Pilot than Farmer-Pilot but I’m worried that they won’t have enough to make cargo pilot exciting and so we’ll get a lot of tree shooting instead.

Dunno! I like their presentation enough it’s the first game I’m willing to kickstart in a very long time and I hope they have a solid plan for it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I really liked the visuals, but I don't really like how the game controls.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

It got a LOT better once I disabled Cursor Autopilot and mapped the flight controls to match the MSFS2020 defaults.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Bentai posted:

It got a LOT better once I disabled Cursor Autopilot and mapped the flight controls to match the MSFS2020 defaults.

Yeah, disabling cursor autopilot is basically mandatory if you want to have a good time with a joystick.

There's a quirk in which the plane flies perfectly trimmed if there is no stick input, but moving the stick at all basically is like hitting "reset trim" and it will make some weird things happen. Like, you're flying toward a tree with the stick at neutral. You push the stick forward to pitch down a touch, but you actually start to pitch way up because you just disabled the automatic trim, so now you have to push the stick farther forward to counteract that sudden lift .

I filed a report about that to the dev. I'd prefer if you could disable the auto trimming altogether, as this doesn't seem like a game where it's all that necessary.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I broke the DCS freeware C-130 mod with some kind of a low speed high angle stall:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/709366646669574204/944699599875100762/What_The_Hell-1.mp4

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Bentai posted:

I broke the DCS freeware C-130 mod with some kind of a low speed high angle stall:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/709366646669574204/944699599875100762/What_The_Hell-1.mp4

I see Maverick is flying heavies now

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

Lord Stimperor posted:

I see Maverick is flying heavies now

He’s flying a cargo plane full’a rubber dog poo poo outta Hong Kong

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Just a heads up. Il2 great battles is having a sale. Just picked up 5 aircraft for the price of 1.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Nice, picked up the Hurricane and the last two campaigns I didn't have - just about got them anyway a few weeks ago, but told myself they'd go on sale. Good looking out!

FPS_Sage
Oct 25, 2007

This was a triumph
Gun Saliva

jadebullet posted:

Just a heads up. Il2 great battles is having a sale. Just picked up 5 aircraft for the price of 1.

I was thinking about getting into this game, so this is great timing. But dumb question: if I buy from the IL2 website directly, is there no Steam key? Not saying that's a problem, especially to save 75% or whatever. Also, is it worth buying the premium edition of each pack for the 2 extra aircraft, or is the standard good enough?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

FPS_Sage posted:

I was thinking about getting into this game, so this is great timing. But dumb question: if I buy from the IL2 website directly, is there no Steam key? Not saying that's a problem, especially to save 75% or whatever. Also, is it worth buying the premium edition of each pack for the 2 extra aircraft, or is the standard good enough?

As far as I know there's no Steam key, no - although at some point during a Steam sale, Stalingrad (which is used as the "base game" for the Steam version) was so cheap I just picked it up despite already owning it to get the Steam integration. You can link your IL-2 account to Steam, and all of your purchased content is tied to your account so it all transfers over.

As for the premium editions, I think Moscow is the only one where the collector's edion is the least justifiable - the P-40 and MC-202 are both kinda turds. Stalingrad and Bodenplatte's collectors editions are the most worth it (the La-5 is an improvement over the other Soviet planes in Stalingrad, and the P-38 fuckin rules), and I'd say Kuban's is kind of dependent on how much you like Spitfires.

I started out by buying the Moscow and Stalingrad games plus the Ten Days in Autumn and Blazing Steppe campaigns for some content, and by the end of that sales week just got Kuban and Bodenplatte too. Game's a lot of fun.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Feb 23, 2022

FPS_Sage
Oct 25, 2007

This was a triumph
Gun Saliva
Good info, thanks - now just waiting for my hardware from Virpil to ship...

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Have to wonder if it's not a "sell as much poo poo as we can before we get screwed by sanctions" sale at this point.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Feb 24, 2022

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

New MSFS update, a big one. Of note, the patch notes say the GPU shouldn't go balls-to-the-wall while installing updates and in the main menu anymore.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Ok, but does that mean the GPU won't do that for this update, or for next update?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I'd let my GPU go balls to the wall in the menu if they could increase the bloody loading speed of the game.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Also the 152, Grand Caravan, and King Air have the new propeller simulation.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I'd let my GPU go balls to the wall in the menu if they could increase the bloody loading speed of the game.

You jest, but soon after launch I found the game loaded like a minute quicker with v-sync off and the GPU running uncaged.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

jammyozzy posted:

You jest, but soon after launch I found the game loaded like a minute quicker with v-sync off and the GPU running uncaged.

Jesus christ, vsync causing increased loading times was the type of poo poo you saw 15 years ago, and on crappy games. If that's showing up in this game, it reinforces my theory that MSFS 2020 is held together with paperclips and snot under the hood.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I think it's more a case of they pushed it out way before it was ready, so they're just now finishing a lot of stuff that should have been fixed before launch.

When MSFS got announced in 2019, the assumption was that it was aiming for a holiday 2020 release, and then MS decided to move the release date forward several months to summer 2020, so MSFS essentially launched as a beta, with a large number of pretty significant bugs.

For the last couple of updates, Asobo seems to have finally figured out how to release updates without completely breaking something major every time, so I do have to give them credit for listening to feedback and learning from their mistakes.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

azflyboy posted:

I think it's more a case of they pushed it out way before it was ready, so they're just now finishing a lot of stuff that should have been fixed before launch.

When MSFS got announced in 2019, the assumption was that it was aiming for a holiday 2020 release, and then MS decided to move the release date forward several months to summer 2020, so MSFS essentially launched as a beta, with a large number of pretty significant bugs.

For the last couple of updates, Asobo seems to have finally figured out how to release updates without completely breaking something major every time, so I do have to give them credit for listening to feedback and learning from their mistakes.

Ya, they’ve been doing a decent enough job of fixing things and offering continuing support, but the Alpha was a pre-Alpha, and the Beta was an Alpha. We are now over a year into beta testing.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

azflyboy posted:

Which shows how much people wanted to get out of the old boomer sims. The bugs annoyed me, but it's not like civilian flights sims were a joy to use before it. A jumbled mess of necessary 3rd party stuff that was barely holding together.

Even when my MSFS was broken by bugs I didn't for a second consider firing up P3D or XP again.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Jesus christ, vsync causing increased loading times was the type of poo poo you saw 15 years ago, and on crappy games. If that's showing up in this game, it reinforces my theory that MSFS 2020 is held together with paperclips and snot under the hood.

Had to turn on Vsync just so it would stop redlining the GPU to display a progress bar and clip art.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

skooma512 posted:

Had to turn on Vsync just so it would stop redlining the GPU to display a progress bar and clip art.

What, you don't like 10,000 FPS loading screens?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Prime made a neat hypevideo for our next campaign. I say look at it, it's neat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfoGRRN9VsU

Thread for the campaign:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3993395

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
is there a good an-2 for msfs?

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

the milk machine posted:

is there a good an-2 for msfs?
No, but yes. One was supposed to be released as the first in the famous flyers series last week, but the developer ran into licensing issues with Antonov. Apparently the aircraft is ready to go, it's all licensing at this point, but it's anyone's guess as to when that situation can be resolved given...everything.

This is what we last saw of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1PYZ2n1RGw

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
In other MSFS news, Aerosoft are still being complete asshats.

They released a Twin Otter that had a ton of issues (it was basically a copy-paste of their P3d product, but with a janky flight model, more bugs, and a completely broken sound set), and when someone released a mod that substantially improved the flight model, Aerosoft filed a DMCA notice, had it taken offline, and then threatened to doxx the guy who created it.

The mod in question was simply a modified version of one of the .cfg files included in the product (which is useless if you don't already own the product), which is an incredibly common way of modifying MSFS aircraft, and Aerosoft doesn't seem to understand that there's a substantial difference between what they can legally do and what's smart to do from a PR standpoint

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 5, 2022

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

azflyboy posted:

They released a Twin Otter that had a ton of issues (it was basically a copy-paste of their P3d product, but with a janky flight model, more bugs, and a completely broken sound set), and when someone released a mod that substantially improved the flight model, Aerosoft filed a DMCA notice, had it taken offline, and then threatened to doxx the guy who created it.

The mod in question was simply a modified version of one of the .cfg files included in the product (which is useless if you don't already own the product), which is an incredibly common way of modifying MSFS aircraft, and Aerosoft doesn't seem to understand that there's a substantial difference between what they can legally do and what's smart to do from a PR standpoint

Glad to see some things don't change. The flight sim scene was starting feel a bit too unboomerlike.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Wolfy posted:

No, but yes. One was supposed to be released as the first in the famous flyers series last week, but the developer ran into licensing issues with Antonov. Apparently the aircraft is ready to go, it's all licensing at this point, but it's anyone's guess as to when that situation can be resolved given...everything.

This is what we last saw of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1PYZ2n1RGw

badass. thanks op, crossing the ol fingeroonies for this one

I wanna fly The Giant Biplane That Cannot Stall

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

azflyboy posted:

There's an Aerosoft guy on their forums who is literally going "No no no, you can't share the entire .CFG, that's Piracy! You should only share lines of code you created! Anything else is a copyright violation!!!!!"

Bruh....

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

As a newer DCS player, I've been enjoying the poo poo out of the A4 Skyhawk mod. Bonus, it's free.

It's full fidelity with a lot of stuff modeled so it's very much a "clicky" cockpit and a really nice midpoint between the free Su25T and something like the F16 (not free) full fidelity module. I bought the F16 mod and while enjoying it, was quite overwhelmed with the massive array of sensors, weapons systems etc. The A4 is vastly simpler and pretty intuitive, especially if you've flown sims before or only in WW2 era stuff.

The DCS base game is free and so is the A4 mod, definitely give it a try.

https://github.com/heclak/community-a4e-c/releases/

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

In MS Flight Sim, how come after about an hour into my flight with the AI in control, they eventually start to crash into the ground on purpose? What is going on, and how do I fix this?

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
The AI stuff is terrible. Better to just learn how to operate the autopilot.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://news.flightsim.to/ambitiouspilots-updates-toolbar-pushback-to-bring-pushback-pre-planning/

Preplan your pushback now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

JayKay posted:

There's an Aerosoft guy on their forums who is literally going "No no no, you can't share the entire .CFG, that's Piracy! You should only share lines of code you created! Anything else is a copyright violation!!!!!"

Bruh....

If you're talking about Mathias Kok, he's famously an rear end to basically everyone who criticizes Aerosoft, so none of that is surprising.