Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

if you open the door while its stopped it'll put the parking brake on but i bet the dude was rolling a bit when he opened it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

It reads to me more like "I left my car in drive when I got out, and it started to drive, so I lunged inside and stomped on the gas pedal, and it shot forwards and ran me over as I fell out."

It's incredibly stupid that Tesla has this feature, but it's also incredibly stupid that he did it at all.

there’s no switch or shifter to move between drive and park. I bet he didn’t even know the “correct” way to do it.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

So the car actually does have a button you can push to put it in park, and this guy didn't do that, right? He was just relying on whatever dumbshit AI system they've got to infer that he meant to get out of the car because he had pushed the brake down extra hard and unbuckled his seatbelt?

How does this poo poo get even dumber every loving time you hear about it

What are you going to do, put it in park? That’s like four menus away. The AI works most of the time.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

tk posted:

What are you going to do, put it in park? That’s like four menus away. The AI works most of the time.

you’re not joking

quote:

To engage the parking brake, touch Controls > Safety > Parking Brake. Follow the onscreen instructions. You can also engage the parking brake by pressing and holding the button on the end of the drive stalk while in Park.
Drive stalk shown with an arrow pointing to the button on the end.
Use the touchscreen to manually release the parking brake (which also shifts Model Y into Neutral):
Touch Controls > Safety.
Press the brake pedal, then touch Parking Brake. If Model Y was previously in Park, it shifts into Neutral.

https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/images/GUID-B80EE2FF-D0E5-4553-8289-33852DCF3868-online-en-US.png

well I guess there is a traditional lever too?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ok I see what happened

https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/modely/en_gb/GUID-41E02406-1983-4511-BBB4-158DD94796C6.html

quote:

Park
Press the end of the drive stalk while Model Y is stopped.
Arrow pointing to button at end of stalk
Model Y automatically shifts into Park whenever you connect a charge cable or if two or more of the following conditions are met simultaneously while traveling slower than approximately 1.5 mph (2 km/h):
The driver's seat belt is unbuckled.
The occupancy sensor in the driver's seat does not detect an occupant.
The driver's door is opened.
To make it convenient to pick up passengers, you can also unlock all doors at any time by shifting into Park then pressing the Park button a second time.

strangely this implies that the automatic function can switch it into park when you cannot do so manually. that’s peak Tesla.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

these cars are so loving stupid and bad

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Jonny 290 posted:

these cars are so loving stupid and bad

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

theres a lot that's bad about teslas but putting the gear selector on a stock on the wheel is good. gear selectors on the center console are dumb since you can use that space for storage and poo poo

also it reminds me of the cadillac my mom used to drive, it also had a gear selector on the wheel

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
You're an unreliable source tho. i'm not talking about the fake shifter.

> To engage the parking brake, touch Controls > Safety > Parking Brake.

this is stupid and bad.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the worst is how ford decided to put a big chunky shifter (big and chunky because thats how you know it's a truck) in the center console, and then a mechanism to fold it down so you can fold another panel on top and use it as a work surface

it's not like the shifter is physically connected to any rods to do any shifting or anything, so just make that poo poo go away. even fuckin GM has done away with it in favor of a dash mounted mini shifter.

of course theres also the hilarity of chrysler's rotating dial shifter located right next to the volume knob

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Putting the gear selector on a dedicated stalk on the wheel is totally fine. I don't know which car was the first to put three on the tree but it's got to be at least 80 years ago. Nothing wrong with that.

Putting the gear selector on a modal stalk that sometimes switches gears and sometimes turns on the windshield wipers and sometimes initiates fart mode is impossibly dumb, and exactly the sort of thing we've come to expect from Tesla's best

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

> To engage the parking brake, touch Controls > Safety > Parking Brake.

thats if your stock doesn't work. just press that p button on the end, bing bang boom done

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

Putting the gear selector on a dedicated stalk on the wheel is totally fine. I don't know which car was the first to put three on the tree but it's got to be at least 80 years ago. Nothing wrong with that.

Putting the gear selector on a modal stalk that sometimes switches gears and sometimes turns on the windshield wipers and sometimes initiates fart mode is impossibly dumb, and exactly the sort of thing we've come to expect from Tesla's best

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

for fucks sake it’s STALK

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

i dont get the stalk weirdness going on here. the gear selector doesn't do wipers either as sagebrush said.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
if "park" is on a button, and you can press that button and not be parked, with no clear indication that you're not parked, something's hosed up

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

when you press the park button, which is like one only 4 in the entire car, the dome lights turn on, the doors unlock, and the screen changes from H for hold to P for park

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lmao PUT IT IN H

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
holy poo poo lol

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Nfcknblvbl posted:

when you press the park button, which is like one only 4 in the entire car, the dome lights turn on, the doors unlock, and the screen changes from H for hold to P for park

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

lmao PUT IT IN H

jonny no

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

what factory was this made in?

eet no longer exeests.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it's also absolutely loving insane to auto unlock the doors just by placing it in park

jesus christ

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

Jonny 290 posted:

lmao PUT IT IN H

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

it's also absolutely loving insane to auto unlock the doors just by placing it in park

jesus christ

literally every modern car does this

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

jonny hates modern cars so that is a consistent take from him

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

I had a 2021 Prius as a rental a couple weekends ago, and the shifter was this strange little loving arcade console joystick sticking out horizontally from the dashboard, underneath the like, loving radio. It also didn't, like, stay in the selected position. You entered a different pattern like Konami code or something to pick between D/R/N and then it popped back to the center position. P was a completely separate button.

Like I get it's all computer controlled now but that doesn't mean you should completely shatter the UX patterns people have been learning for a century or more. Jfc this was so confusing and annoying. Not to mention, reversing out of a driveway onto a road with traffic, and then having to reach over to the radio and Konami code the car into drive was a whole, uh, experience.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Jonny 290 posted:

lmao PUT IT IN H

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
hmmm my car ran over me. better jump on the forum to see if any other players are having this issue

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Amethyst posted:

hmmm my car ran over me. better jump on the forum to see if any other players are having this issue

it just struck me that the persons post wasn’t even open to criticism. like, they’d be totally fine with the situation if everyone responds with, “oh no it’s supposed to work like that, you’re driving it wrong” and they’d just go about their day

was this supposed to happen jfc

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

what is the difference between hold and park

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
it appears that when in hold, the car will continue to make rolling stops

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

its stopped, regular friction brakes engaged unless if the driver presses down on the accelerator pedal. prevents rolling when stopped

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'm edging my lols as I wait for the process server to hand this idiot papers saying he's being sued for giving the waitress a concussion since he mashed the loving gas pedal like an idiot first year driver.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
user input was error as usual. car should have ignored the obviously mistaken gas pedal stomp. will be improved in autopilot v420 - elon

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

automatics have “auto vehicle hold” which means the car doesn’t creep forward when you let off the brake while in drive. it’s not a good idea in general

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Nfcknblvbl posted:

literally every modern car does this

i feel like this is a setting and i turned it off right away on my boring sedan. i think the only all-unlock my car does now is, if i touch the handle on the outside while the keys are on me, it'll unlock all the doors. i toss my work bag in the back, so that was useful when i still went into an office

mrmcd posted:

I had a 2021 Prius as a rental a couple weekends ago, and the shifter was this strange little loving arcade console joystick sticking out horizontally from the dashboard, underneath the like, loving radio. It also didn't, like, stay in the selected position. You entered a different pattern like Konami code or something to pick between D/R/N and then it popped back to the center position. P was a completely separate button.

:hmmyes: i don't care if the shifter is mostly symbolic, there's a very consistent and predictable behavior that people know and turning it into a neato input method is frustrating. the other one i've seen is the dial, like i'm setting a 2 ton washing machine

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Agile Vector posted:

like i'm setting a 2 ton washing machine

well teslas are constantly on the spin cycle so they dont need that knob

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the dial is a mopar thing and they’ve probably been doing it for 2 decades now?

it’s dumb as poo poo, just a little reminder you’re a dummy that bought a mopar product every time you enter the truck/van

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
there are multiple solutions that all make sense already and don’t break muscle memory.

you can have a row of buttons P R N D L and they are all radio buttons. press one, and it cancels all the other ones. no confusion which gear you are in.

You can also have a mini shifter go through the P R N D L

You can also make a dial with an indicator on where you are.

Stalk mounted has good (classic trucks and cars), bad (mercedes with the various functions which don’t make any sense), and awful (tesla, where P doesn’t mean P)

This is a solved problem already