Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Now this is atompunk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lmao

and when it came to analyzing the practicalities of nuclear war, like “do we have a backup stockpile of transformers we can install in case an EMP skullfucks the entire electrical grid?” the folks in charge went “nah too expensive” and just ignored the problem

which is why there is no strategic stockpile of transformers. we’re all just 100% hosed if a bunch go down at once

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Fly Molo posted:

lmao

and when it came to analyzing the practicalities of nuclear war, like “do we have a backup stockpile of transformers we can install in case an EMP skullfucks the entire electrical grid?” the folks in charge went “nah too expensive” and just ignored the problem

which is why there is no strategic stockpile of transformers. we’re all just 100% hosed if a bunch go down at once

of course u cant see them they're disguised

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

Lordshmee posted:

I have reached a conclusion that has been building within me for quite a long while. that Extinction Matrix website sealed the deal for me. we’re not monsters, or some kind of aberration bucking “natural law”, as I’ve been thinking for a long time. No, we’re just like every other lifeform on this planet, in this universe. Driven by eons of of the only directive that ever was: reproduce. maximize reproduction, at whatever means at your disposal. The cosmic joke is that we managed to evolve to be too good at it. we’re so good at maximizing production and reproduction that we’re destroying our environment, and our biological imperative is so strong that we can’t stop doing it. even those of us - the majority at this point - who understand our systems lead to inevitable doom - can’t stop us as a whole from doing it anyway. we really are an evolutionary failure, by definition.

what a loving bummer.

lol

lmao

ya man, no. the point of my site is the opposite of this.

i'm one of your humans right? driven by biological imperatives to reproduce and accumulate at all costs?

then why the gently caress did i make a conscious decision to never have children that i've stuck to for the last 2 decades? why don't I have a car? why have I thrown my 'career' under the bus over a stupid website? why have I alienated my friends, family and coworkers? why am I not playing the stupid loving game everyone else is playing?

i can do these things because i'm not a genetic robot. this was all completely avoidable - which is why this is an ideological extinction, and not an evolutionary destiny. nothing has an evolutionary destiny - evolution is a stochastic genetic recombination algorithm.

i know that nobody is going to do this - but if you take my site seriously, do the homework, and start deconstructing your conditioning, you will get to watch your desire imperatives and mental habits change rapidly in real time. we're not machines, nor are we monsters, and anyone can prove this to themselves.

Rime posted:

Eh, I'd argue it wasn't necessarily inevitable, we just fell into an evolutionary dead end.

I extremely recommend reading David Graebers The Dawn of Everything: A New History of Humanity, if thread wants a glimpse of how avoidable this all was and how much of our everyday life relies on structural lies and social indoctrination. The book is CSPAM as gently caress and easily the magnum opus of revisionist Anthropology for the 21st century.

IMO a big red flashing sign regarding how far down the "dead end" hole we've progressed is how much of our entertainment media is effectively just making numbers go up on a screen (idler videogames) with minimal interaction, and how much energy & resources are being dedicated to 100% pointless "number go up" ventures such as Bitcoin.

It's all very "late stage of a species", to me. The pity is that we've hosed the planet so hard in the process of all this that the remaining societies who haven't bought into the mass delusion yet are going to be wiped out along with us.

rime gets it. this is an ideological extinction - homo-economicus are going extinct, and taking humans with them. that's the real tragedy here - human beings are and can be more than just the zombified outcome of the cataclysmic failure of the liberal political project. it's capitalism that is a mass extinction event, not human beings.

e: also ya seconding the endorsement for graeber's posthumuous book, it's insanely good at driving home the point of the incredible ideological diversity we have displayed over our history.

emTme3 has issued a correction as of 04:45 on Feb 23, 2022

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Put succinctly,

We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine
And the machine is bleeding to death

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Why did the ants bomb us?

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Not gonna quote post because it's late, but the point is that individuals are free within bounds of their agency but groups and energy systems are ruled by expressions of mathematics and probability and physics that we lump together into the shorthand "material conditions." The ideological component is secondary yeah? Ideologies compete in a terrain shaped by physical possibility.

Homo Economicus (and Xeno Economicus on any given world) is an ideological adaptation that reinforces the dominant system which works right up until it doesn't. You don't have to buy into the system, in fact detachment helps you see it in action, but you can't deny that it's self-reinforcing, and that's why it works and why it's hard to get out of before it's too late. That's imo the real problem - the point where biologicals lack agency, where "free will" goes to die, the why of why we suck. Competition is between memes/systems, not individuals. Capitalism is the meanest, go-fastest, most entropy-producing meme and arises from the short-term logic of the simplest single-celled life. It's always a risk that once established it runs away.

Car Hater has issued a correction as of 05:32 on Feb 23, 2022

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Mayor Dave posted:

Put succinctly,

always relevant

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Oh splifyphus made the site. This is quite the twist

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Mayor Dave posted:

Put succinctly,

We built the machine didn't we?

This isn't a rant towards you, but the current discussion.
Capitalism is not an outside force. It is a product of human culture. Something about how we are wired made us develop that system. We developed other systems as well, but when they came into conflict capitalism has dominated. Probably because its more brutal and It's the best at producing gains over the short term.

Implying the people destroying the earth aren't human in the same way we are is a cop out. If the virus of capitalism never infected your mind, that's by sheer luck and circumstance. The people it claimed were born human just like you.

Even if you take no responsibility at all, which may very well be true, you were too weak to do anything about it. You can point out all you like that a small group of elites took control and designed a system we can't escape, but why is our nature such that that was possible, even likely in the first place?

The only conclusion is that any world that exists has limited resources, so that any life that develops will compete for resources, so that the ones who are best at that become dominant. Because personal survival is a shorter time frame than species survival, maximizing resources in the short term is selected for. Eventually a species gets good enough at that that they invent capitalism. Our very nature as homo quisquiliarum (the garbage ape) is to blame. The great filter exists and we are in it.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
the analogy is trite but apt - capital accumulation is a cancer. and it’s metastatic at this point. cancer cannot abide a limit - it seeks to convert it into a barrier and then overcome it. the machines of human social production no longer have the ability to respond to non-market signals. all other social sensory organs have been cauterized. market signals only have local negative feedback loops, never as a whole. the paper clip maximizer will run until everything has been consumed.

the human race put up an admirable immune response, but ultimately we failed

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Ocean Book posted:

the analogy is trite but apt - capital accumulation is a cancer. and it’s metastatic at this point. cancer cannot abide a limit - it seeks to convert it into a barrier and then overcome it. the machines of human social production no longer have the ability to respond to non-market signals. all other social sensory organs have been cauterized. market signals only have local negative feedback loops, never as a whole. the paper clip maximizer will run until everything has been consumed.

Living bodies have fever, to make the pathogen unable to convert food to progress.

Humanity has famine.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rah! posted:

of course u cant see them they're disguised

lmao

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ocean Book posted:

I’ve always liked that analogy. what do you call something that can’t stop growing? that grows even if it kills everything around it and itself? cancer

and the cancer is everywhere now, in every industry and every country (bar a few)

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

emTme3 posted:

i'm one of your humans right? driven by biological imperatives to reproduce and accumulate at all costs?

then why the gently caress did i make a conscious decision to never have children that i've stuck to for the last 2 decades? why don't I have a car? why have I thrown my 'career' under the bus over a stupid website? why have I alienated my friends, family and coworkers? why am I not playing the stupid loving game everyone else is playing?

i can do these things because i'm not a genetic robot. this was all completely avoidable - which is why this is an ideological extinction, and not an evolutionary destiny. nothing has an evolutionary destiny - evolution is a stochastic genetic recombination algorithm.

actually think you're dead on with this. It's easy to follow your programming, to be sure, but the universe has uncertainty built into it and the expression of that is free will, the ability to make hard choices and opt out of a raw deal. nobody fully understands how our brains work, nobody can possibly say they know exactly how human beings are going to behave

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

blah blah blah blah blah blah

Did you? Did I?

We can see it operating up close and personal in its death throes and would never have given it piles of government money to keep the blood flowing.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Capitalism is not an outside force. It is a product of human culture. Something about how we are wired made us develop that system. We developed other systems as well, but when they came into conflict capitalism has dominated. Probably because its more brutal and It's the best at producing gains over the short term.

Implying the people destroying the earth aren't human in the same way we are is a cop out. If the virus of capitalism never infected your mind, that's by sheer luck and circumstance. The people it claimed were born human just like you.

Even if you take no responsibility at all, which may very well be true, you were too weak to do anything about it. You can point out all you like that a small group of elites took control and designed a system we can't escape, but why is our nature such that that was possible, even likely in the first place?

The only conclusion is that any world that exists has limited resources, so that any life that develops will compete for resources, so that the ones who are best at that become dominant. Because personal survival is a shorter time frame than species survival, maximizing resources in the short term is selected for. Eventually a species gets good enough at that that they invent capitalism. Our very nature as homo quisquiliarum (the garbage ape) is to blame. The great filter exists and we are in it.

Been saying "the great filter is capitalism" for multiple threads now and this is the first time someone's finally agreed with me

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

Cup Runneth Over posted:

actually think you're dead on with this. It's easy to follow your programming, to be sure, but the universe has uncertainty built into it and the expression of that is free will, the ability to make hard choices and opt out of a raw deal. nobody fully understands how our brains work, nobody can possibly say they know exactly how human beings are going to behave

please see marx v hegel - re: material vs ideal dialectics

endlessmonotony posted:

Living bodies have fever, to make the pathogen unable to convert food to progress.

Humanity has famine.

lol the earth is literally getting a fever and it’s gonna kill us. that’s a good one. god is very funny

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Been saying "the great filter is capitalism" for multiple threads now and this is the first time someone's finally agreed with me

they're strenuously disagreeing with that, instead opting for saying the problem is something intrinsic to (human) life.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

an alliance of algae, jellyfish, cuttlefish, octopi, and dolphins

octopodes*

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

The Octopus Consortium

that's actually the word for a group of octopuses, and "octopuses" is the correct plural

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

FFT posted:

The Octopus Consortium

that's actually the word for a group of octopuses, and "octopuses" is the correct plural

octopodeez nutz binch

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ocean Book posted:

please see marx v hegel - re: material vs ideal dialectics

lol the earth is literally getting a fever and it’s gonna kill us. that’s a good one. god is very funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppfnHlRju7Y

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Spergin Morlock posted:

octopodeez nutz binch

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

steve

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://twitter.com/weatherdak/status/1496230077469630467

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

have they considered bottling the water and selling it, gonna be the next big thing!

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Our very nature as homo quisquiliarum (the garbage ape) is to blame. The great filter exists and we are in it.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Zodium posted:

they're strenuously disagreeing with that, instead opting for saying the problem is something intrinsic to (human) life.

Intrinsic to any and all animated matter, anywhere in this universe, or your exergy back! Offer and conditions not applicable to non-standard thermodynamic models or systems thereof lacking. See your local deity for details.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

if you feel hopeless, feel hopeless because humanity chose this world, not that it was inevitable

maybe learn about trees or something idk, it helps

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Mayor Dave posted:

Put succinctly,

when i was a kid i thought this was overly dramatic

lmao

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

if you feel hopeless, feel hopeless because humanity chose this world, not that it was inevitable

maybe learn about trees or something idk, it helps

I follow some local garden channels on Facebook and they're lamenting the recent warmer days that are 2 months early and waking up the bees, plants, and trees to have their food/buds die off in the coming freeze. Openly acknowledging the dying ecosystem in normie groups is something to see.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Hope/hopelessness isn't real or material, I'm just blown away constantly that some variant on this (a system where value is abstracted for the sake of trading convenience leading to accumulation) is so close to inevitable for a society of meat-things given excess energy as to effectively be so and that we just fundamentally cannot work around our feels on that issue. We bristle and deny and argue about choices no one ever actually had and blame capitalism as the obvious evil when it's just the most talented of our evils. Reading through emTm3's site and giggling at how I'm an anti-humanist - there's an argument from while deconstructing Jensen (good bit of writing) that I'll quote here because you said it again on this page:

"Red-Premise 7: The needs of the landbase are only important insofar as they can reproduce human existence. Otherwise, it’s just a stochastic genetic recombination algorithm. Reifying a sacred earth mother/homeostatic totality leaves us out of the picture. We are the frame of this picture. Nature does not know itself except through us! We need biosphere consciousness (nonhumans) and historical consciousness (humans) and the understanding that they are always inherently intertwined."

This is a feeling argument, an ideological stake in the ground.

"just" a stochiastic genetic recombination algorithm? what other possibility could there be? how could any other system function? Where do the materials come from and go to for a civilization if not the local environment? I genuinely ask because people keep countering that I lack imagination about a better world being possible, and I agree with them! But the thing is, I think they're insane, imagining castles in the clouds, and I want to know how they do it. What arrogance is it that compels people to attempt to dictate to reality? How do you imagine an impossible system? Without the decay, breakdown and recycling of material that are the main actions of that algorithm there is no action, no life, only accumulation of dead matter/primitive capitalism. Life does not require justification, reification, totality, or framing, it just is - it's the universe chugging along degrading the energy potentials it created a little while ago. We're part of it, we're of it, we are it, it is us, value is inherent and independent of observation. Recognizing that capitalism is anti-life, I agree with all the points about struggle and the duty to oppose the death-machine. But sustainability is a straight-up thermodynamic impossibility, to which you freely admit, so idk wtf how do you loop back to "we gotta try anyway"? And then how do you double down and say you're deconstructing your conditioning? e; this was unnecessary but I'll leave it, I mean it more in the comradely, "I am in hell with you and it is a very funny thing you are doing where you pretend to be cold" sense like Zizek saying "the point where we think we have escaped ideology, that is when we are most in it"

to wit: we're all insane

Car Hater has issued a correction as of 16:24 on Feb 23, 2022

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

same

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
I simply dont get why people think they are free. Like we all live on a regulated schedule.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

so much for Madagascar being the island we escape the virus on

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Is it? Non-capitalist societies existed and proliferated for all of human history, many of them persisting in stability for hundreds or thousands of years before dissolving. Capitalism, in the way we understand it, is younger than most of the nations practicing it. This is an ideology and social structure barely 300 years old. An eyeblink. It’s a mental pandemic rapidly burning itself out, along with its hosts, while a few pockets of independent thought continue to struggle through.

quote:

The rest of this is just the classic “inevitability” rhetoric which has been hammered into your head by a lifetime of being exposed to the propaganda used to prop up and perpetuate these systems. Darwinian evolution does not apply to societies of conscious individuals.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Rime posted:

The rest of this is just the classic “inevitability” rhetoric which has been hammered into your head by a lifetime of being exposed to the propaganda used to prop up and perpetuate these systems. Darwinian evolution does not apply to societies of conscious individuals.

I'll bite.

A line of thought could be developed, I believe, that accurately describes the global scale society we have built as blind and dumb as a slime mold trapped in a petri dish

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
The eldritch horror of being a conscious cell trapped in a monstrous and dying tumor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Femur posted:

I simply dont get why people think they are free. Like we all live on a regulated schedule.

Because you have the lowest level of society, Prisoners (Slaves), defined as not free. So anyone above that level can see that they're obviously not that, and those people are defined as being Not Free, therefore I must be free!