Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I wouldn't mind knowing all the scummy poo poo that HHH apparently got up to. I'm just learning that apparently he's married to Stephanie McMahon. That's crazy. I thought that was a made up story, but no he's actually married to Stephanie McMahon. Like what the fuuuuuuuuck.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Hollismason posted:

I wouldn't mind knowing all the scummy poo poo that HHH apparently got up to. I'm just learning that apparently he's married to Stephanie McMahon. That's crazy.

Yeah he married her in a las vegas drive thru chapel after drugging her while she had amnesia from British Bulldog hitting her with a trash can and announced it with a video just as she was about to marry Test.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Elephant Ambush posted:

Yes

We hate HHH the character but we REALLY loving hate Paul Leveque the real person for all the scummy poo poo he's done

I would have strongly disliked him as a person even if he HADN'T cheated on Chyna, who was my favoritest of favorites, but it sure as poo poo didn't help.

quote:

Same with Shawn Michaels. gently caress him super hard too

The Dark Side of the Ring episode about the Montreal Screwjob was absolutely fascinating.

edit:

Hollismason posted:

I wouldn't mind knowing all the scummy poo poo that HHH apparently got up to. I'm just learning that apparently he's married to Stephanie McMahon. That's crazy. I thought that was a made up story, but no he's actually married to Stephanie McMahon. Like what the fuuuuuuuuck.

:aaaaa: I honestly would have assumed that would be common knowledge to anyone posting in a thread about mainstream pro wrestling, lol.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I just thought it was a made up bit for wrestling.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Hollismason posted:

It was.

Then they married for real, but much later.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Hollismason posted:

IT'S BOTH!

Welcome to the Show. Would you like some Popcorn, or to buy a shirt? We're here to blur lines and avoid fines so watch as we force people to work 300 days a year and call them "independent contractors" then give them all the 'roids they want until their quads explode when they look at the stairs while tastefully sidestepping responsibility by claiming they were "independent" the whole time!

Oh, do you hate me for running a human meat grinder made up of all your favorite people? Here watch me "get injured"

Wow! I bet you'd pay top dollar to watch a roided out maniac blast me with a chair. Well this month at survivorview you can watch me face Kill Manstabber in a "loser has to eat human poo poo" match. ooooooo I bet you want me to gobble down those turds huh?

Pay. Up.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
Got a few in-person takes on different guys from a guy who had a cup of coffee in the indies as a ref/road agent and has no chance of working again so I don't have to worry about pissing anyone off:

Honky Tonk Man: Workman. Toured constantly, showed up, did his schtick, had a drink at the bar to be friendly, shake some fans hands and tell a few stories, then back to his hotel room to go to bed, on to the next town. Deeply professional when it came to the indie guest star schtick, gave it his best even if there were 20 people in attendance.

Leatherface (Rick Patterson): REALLY nice guy. Told me up front that he'd be doing an out of control monster schtick when I refereed his match and that I'd take a hit if I let him corner me. Lo and behold, accidentally let him corner me while he had a chair. I nodded to accept my fate, he said "duck" and let me roll out of the ring. Got hosed over on my payout that night and he covered my dinner tab, shared his weed with me too.

Luther: Current AEW guy, worked with him a few times. Found him a bit unfriendly outside the ring, myself being a manlet referee/hilariously skinny trainee, but we worked an in-ring angle for a match and he was really excited to get in-depth with the acting and performance side of things, wanting to rehearse reactions and such. So basically he was kinda a dick until we had a scene together, then he was game as gently caress to make it look as good as possible.

Bryan Danielson: Nice enough, bit of a perfectionist, wanted to make triply sure I wasn't going to gently caress up the ref spot by making absolutely sure I knew what was going to happen. Due diligence and all that but I was experienced enough at the time to know not how to botch a basic ref spot.

Christopher Daniels: Same as Danielson. Polite but perfectionist. All business.

The Bushwhackers: loving awesome guys. I was green as hell refereeing when I worked with them, and we were doing a tour. They told me they were going to teach me tag team formula on the trip, and they did exactly that. They told me where to stand, which way to face, on which side of the wrestlers to count, told me the universal old school "cues" used in tag team wrestling to work the basic formula. Like the real "technical" side of things like "this guy will always kick out to the left and turn for the hot tag, count from the right" They took the time and effort to teach, even though they were just doing indie dates for a payday, and they were good teachers at that. I even accidentally gave Luke a black eye with a doorknob being chased by a heel and they took it in good humor. Kings Among Men.

Matt Borne (Doink): loving. Psycho. Not only did he punch someone out that I knew just for thinking he stole his pack of smokes (it was actually between the couch cushions), he got a very talented friend of mine into cocaine, which (while keeping that friend's confidentality) ended up derailing a very promising career. He was a good worker and did a lot of crowd pleasing stuff, but he was unstable and did a lot of damage by dragging others into his whole drugged up nonsense.

Tony Kozina (mentioned upthread): Mixed feelings on this guy. Talented as hell, smart, and good to work with in the ring. But on the other hand, he was a bully, and he wasn't the kinda guy who'd be a bully on his own. He'd pile on with others bullying someone else. Never personally had a problem with him, but when I heard about some of the pretty horrendous poo poo he pulled later, I wasn't at all surprised.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

TheSwizzler posted:

The Bushwhackers: loving awesome guys. I was green as hell refereeing when I worked with them, and we were doing a tour. They told me they were going to teach me tag team formula on the trip, and they did exactly that. They told me where to stand, which way to face, on which side of the wrestlers to count, told me the universal old school "cues" used in tag team wrestling to work the basic formula. Like the real "technical" side of things like "this guy will always kick out to the left and turn for the hot tag, count from the right" They took the time and effort to teach, even though they were just doing indie dates for a payday, and they were good teachers at that. I even accidentally gave Luke a black eye with a doorknob being chased by a heel and they took it in good humor. Kings Among Men.

gently caress yes. :nz:

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

The Rabbi T. White posted:

gently caress yes. :nz:

Yeah man, they really put in the work, showed patience and kindness. I didn't have the best experience in the business, but there are some pretty great people there, and it'd have been a lot better of a place for everyone if everyone acted like the Bushwhackers.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

TheSwizzler posted:

a lot better of a place for everyone if everyone acted like the Bushwhackers.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

I don't know what this is, but it's my new favorite piece of media ever.

So long Postal: The Movie.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

TheSwizzler posted:

Luther: Current AEW guy, worked with him a few times. Found him a bit unfriendly outside the ring, myself being a manlet referee/hilariously skinny trainee, but we worked an in-ring angle for a match and he was really excited to get in-depth with the acting and performance side of things, wanting to rehearse reactions and such. So basically he was kinda a dick until we had a scene together, then he was game as gently caress to make it look as good as possible.

Having watched a fair amount of Chaos Project, your Luther story is the least surprising thing to hear.

this is Luther:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5HGdYmbSrM&t=156s

Also I'm happy the Bushwackers were pros.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

Trollologist posted:

I don't know what this is, but it's my new favorite piece of media ever.

So long Postal: The Movie.

https://prowrestling.fandom.com/wiki/WWF_Battlemania

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Hollismason posted:

Oh man, I don't even know where to start, and there's no way I can remember or cover everything in detail.

First, read back through some of the effort posts, especially the ones about The Clique. Shawn and HHH politicked themselves the top and buried everyone else.

HHH was insanely, unbelievably racist to Booker T. Like, on TV and PPVs. Some time after Booker came over through the WCW buyout, he was put into a feud with Booker and told him, to his face, on TV, "People like you aren't here to be champions. You're here to be entertainers". Then they had a feud that originally Booker was supposed to win, but rumor went around that Booker had told people that he was going to win, so he was booked to lose instead. Nobody ever provided proof that Booker told anyone. I choose to believe this was a bullshit lie and an excuse for HHH to not have to lose. Their blowoff match also featured one of the most comically disrespectful finishes ever. HHH hit his finisher, The Pedigree, on Booker, but he had just taken a huge beating from Booker so he collapsed and couldn't make the cover. HHH then took 23 full seconds to slowly crawl over to Booker and make the cover. Booker did NOT kick out. After 23 full seconds. He was not allowed to even though it made perfect sense for him to do so.

He did the Katie Vick angle which I think was already explained but basically he was in a feud with Kane and they made up a fictional girlfriend for him. I forget the specific story but Kane's fake girlfriend Katie Vick somehow died, and then there was a taped segment where HHH was in a morgue having sex with Katie Vick's corpse. Apparently Vince McMahon thought this was the funniest thing he'd ever seen and when the fans poo poo all over it, HHH came out the next week and cut a promo as a stand-in for Vince and basically told all the fans they were stupid and had no sense of humor for not laughing along with a video of a guy raping a corpse.

Those are the worst things off the top of my head and I'm getting tired so I'm going to bed but hopefully I'll wake up tomorrow and see more posts from other people about how much of a lowlife vermin HHH is.

edit: Someone post about D-X coming out in blackface and making fun of The Nation of Domination, a group of black wrestlers. Also someone please post about how HHH knew about Bill DeMott (Hugh Morrus) being a huge abusive bully piece of poo poo to WWE trainees and intentionally ignored it because he thinks that kind of thing is cool and good to do to young powerless people who want to get into the business.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 23, 2022

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Jonny Nox posted:

Having watched a fair amount of Chaos Project, your Luther story is the least surprising thing to hear.

Luther is creative as hell. Here is some input into the sausage making of how he made a creative finish:

The original booking had him bump me in a no-DQ match, then wake me up to make the count after a run-in and get the win on the face (this was the title match of the night). Basic requirements are that the face loses after interference and cheating.

Luther thought that was boring/cliche, so he came up with a spin on the same idea that over the course of the match, he'd try to intimidate me repeatedly. The face would keep kicking out of power moves, weapon shots, etc, and he'd keep getting angrier at the ref, screaming (as Luther is very good at) and as the ref I would slowly start counting faster/tolerating more cheap interference without chiding his buddies and generally letting him get away with poo poo.

The climax of the match had him hit two finishers on the face, who'd kick out, and he straight up lost it. Backed me into a corner, screamed and gave me a hard slap. The difference here is that the idea was that unlike the usual "hit the ref" spot, I didn't go down, I was just completely terrified. That's when his buddies jumped in and beat the face down while he held me by the lapels and screamed that he'd kill me if I DQ'd him. Then onto the pin, fast count, title win, crowd's mad.

Basically taking an overdone finish and making something new out of it. Pretty clever poo poo.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
So, on HHH Scummy crap: Hunter is the heel we're supposed to hate. Paul is a lovely person.

Hunter slept with a corpse and then blasted the fans for not liking it.

Paul knew Vince would think the corpse thing is funny, so he went with it to be a company man and used that favor to keep momentum.

Hunter buried every main event-er for YEARS making sure that he stayed at the top of the card.

Paul Made sure that in all WWE media he didn't look weak: Even mandating that in screenshots from a VIDEO GAME Triple H is forbidden from being seen "in a defenseless or vulnerable position.” Since, he KNOWS that perception is everything and he can't even look hurt or weak in a video game. Or the marks might *gasp* think he IS weak.
Story here

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Hollismason posted:

I wouldn't mind knowing all the scummy poo poo that HHH apparently got up to.

Ho boy.

Others have already given bits and pieces, but like I've said. To really grasp the Failure Of Paul Levesque, you need in all in order, from the beginning.

I've talked about Hogan learning all the wrong lessons from his early wrestling experiences and how Michaels was so drat good at everything that he got away with being a total POS. Well, Triple H learned at the feet of Michaels, and he followed Hogan in learning the wrong lessons from things. Especially in regards to himself and just how good he was.

See, Hogan NEEDED the spotlight. Shawn Michaels KNEW he was the poo poo. Paul Levesque would end up wanting the spotlight while thinking he was the poo poo. He was wrong.

It didn't start that way. As far as I know, Triple H had a normal training experience under renowned wrestling legend Killer Kolowski. I believe that was where he first met Joanie Laurer, ie Chyna. I am not exactly sure when their romantic relationship began, but I suspect that for Laurer, who was hugely muscled, had a square masculine jaw, and was very flat, and based on her book (incomprehensible as it was) she had a rather unhappy upbringing due to it. thought it was amazing that a more conventionally handsome man like Levesque would notice her. As I keep saying, I don't know what goes on in these people's heads, but it is well known that Triple H was, and is, a very big fan of bodybuilding, so maybe at the time, Laurer's unique form did it for him. The WWE would 'work on' Laurer during her time there, getting her implants and several facial surgeries to make her look more feminine. Did it work? Hey man, I don't judge taste. I thought she looked good in Playboy myself, but that's just me. Maybe you think she looked better beforehand, and you're just as right as I am. Beauty, beholder, eye.

Anyway, the first few years of Paul's career were normal, starting at the bottom stuff, wrestling under the names "Terra Ryzing" and "Jean-Paul Levesque". He would join the WWF in early 1995, as said, being given the gimmick of "Hunter Hearst Helmsley", a blueblood Connecticut snob, likely meant as a slap against the upper crust old money who would never accept Vince as any sort of peer. That's why his finisher is called a "Pedigree": despite changing his gimmick several times in drastic form, his finisher name never changed. Personally I'm amazed it didn't become known as the Gamebreaker eventually.

I'll note that if you can find some old WWF magazines you can find some truly hilarious kayfabe nonsense about Hunter back in them. Like an article talking about his debut, where he disparaged his new fellow wrestlers by saying "My mummy and daddy wouldn't believe how uncouth these ruffians are! Most are unworthy to even polish my silverware!" (just picture Levesque trying to say this in a terrible faked 'high class' accent) or an article where he tried to teach terrible 90's gimmick Mantaur how to eat like a gentleman (it went poorly). Hunter's first year was uneventful; he got a win over low-carder Bob Holly at Summerslam, ended up a victim of Undertaker's "Bone Street Crew" at Survivor Series, and of course, had a feud with wrestling pig farmer Henry O. Godwin (get it?), which ended up in a "Pigpen match" where the loser would be dumped in a pigpen. Triple H technically won, but then Godwin pulled him in and repeatedly slammed him into the dirt and filth, after which he slipped and pratfalled around in a fashion that he never would later in his career. Then followed a shorter feud with Duke "The Dumpster" Droese, a wrestling garbageman. Because he was a blueblood snob, you see. Fine, plenty of wrestlers have unassuming starts.

What likely set Triple H on his path was two things. One was his (successful) attempt to become friends with the Clique, and how much being part of the Curtain Call cost him. But even before that, he got a match at Wrestlemania 12, his first on the show. His opponent?

The returning Ultimate Warrior. Being given free reign by a desperate Vince. Yeah, we knew who was winning, but Hunter gave some effort before hand, talking about how his finisher, the Pedigree, could beat anyone if he could hit it. It could have been a five-seven minute match (HAHAHAHAHAHAHA yeah yeah, it was the Warrior, I am just theorizing a perfect world), with Hunter never succeeding in hitting the move before he lost.

That didn't happen.

Instead, Warrior entered the ring, Hunter jumped him, and immediately hit the Pedigree. One second pause.

Warrior immediately got back up like he'd been hit with a pillow and promptly hit his clothesline/shoulderblock/splash for the pin. The match had lasted about thirty seconds. Hunter, who had had at least some credibility and an undefeated streak up until then, was thoroughly and utterly squashed. And worse, it was for Ultimate Warrior, who'd be gone in three months, because he was just that incapable of working with anyone.

And as Timon once said...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuhgHzuPYiI

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 24, 2022

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

The ANGRIEST Jim Cornette rant compilation with all 700 Vince Russo stories goes here!

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Cornwind Evil posted:

Wasn't going to anyway. Couldn't have done it any better myself Jacket. If avatars on SA were free and I could photoshop I'd take out the belt and hand it to your avatar. Let's see if you can draw, kid.

by all means, do one with facts and pictures, it's just a good opportunity to release my run-on comedy bits here so that I don't do them to an opponent's wife, at a party

quote:

Triple H stuff

I think some of this has been framed weirdly, in honesty.

Partially because pro wrestling fans have weird double-standards and are selective about who they get mad at relative to whether they enjoy them or not. After all, Jimmy Snuka murdered his girlfriend. Vince McMahon helped Jimmy Snuka cover up the murder of his girlfriend. New Jack did a documentary where he laughed about all the times he tried to badly hurt an opponent over something petty. Steve Austin loved crank and beating his wife while on crank, in that order. And Randy Savage loved beating his wife and also other people's wives. But if Cottonbelly Jervis tweets that his friend Brian Kendrick is a good guy in spite of him being into weird anti-jewish conspiracy theory poo poo from a decade earlier, that's a bridge too far for people and it's time to scream at indy wrestlers on Twitter for clout.

But yeah, Triple H didn't write the whole storyline where him and Flair are dogwhistle racist at Booker T for two months and then he beats Booker T without any help. He didn't write the segment where he built up a program with Kane by simulating sex with a mannequin in a funeral home. I mean, he almost certainly had the clout to say no to doing those things, and this is possibly his equivalent of directing a movie where he just shouts the n-word while hot actresses put they feet in his mouth to try and stop him, but they're ultimately wrestling things what happened on the wrestling show and Booker T himself isn't mad about it.

For the most part, the reason why people got mad with Triple H is that he's basically the conduit from wrestling being good and fun to wrestling being a tedious chore that's less fun than you remember. Steve Austin retired in 2003. The Rock was already working part-time around his movie schedule by that point and had a foot out the door. John Cena wouldn't become a separate terrifying entity for a few more years. Triple H is a good wrestler, he's the guy that can work with all these dudes and make them look like megastars, but he isn't Steve Austin.

WCW was also dead, and while WWE loved to gloat about this fact, they also realised very quickly that they lost something from their product the moment there wasn't an evil Turner empire that they were trying to defeat. So Raw and Smackdown became separate things, in order that red shirt dudes could fight blue shirt dudes for all eternity, and that they should care deeply about it despite getting regularly traded back and forth. At any point, at least one of these shows had to be the Triple H show, and he got given the old WCW title belt. I'm not being glib about that, he "won" the title by having Eric Bischoff pull the title out of a briefcase and hand it to him. They still have two world title belts twenty years later, and it's still dumb.

So you have a period of about four or five years where Triple H is trying very hard to be Ric Flair, where every week would open with a 20-minute heel monologue about how he was better than everyone else, and then a promising young babyface would come out, and then Triple H would shout about how he was better than them for four weeks, and then at the pay-per-view Triple H would win without help and prove himself right. Like, at least for all the Hogan nWo stuff he was actually bringing in guys from outside and not just beating up DDP every week to prove that DDP should never be a big star like him.

Saying that, at some point they do bring in Goldberg and then Triple H (heel) beats Goldberg (face) with his move while wearing bicycle shorts under his trunks so that he wouldn't have to drop the belt while he rehabbed a groin injury. Yes, it looked goofy.

This period also coincides with him and the boss's daughter getting super cereal and him starting to be involved in creative meetings and touted as the future head of the company. While he beats up all of the new talent each week.

At the ECW tribute pay-per-view that WWE ran, Paul Heyman would get on the mic, turn to Bradshaw and declare "the only reason you were champion for a year was because Triple H didn't want to work Tuesdays", which is one of the best lines I ever heard for being able to poo poo on two people simultaneously while not saying anything untrue whatsoever

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Had trouble sleeping, have some more of the misspent (or maybe not) youth of Triple H

Okay, so, yes. Hunter had a pretty lousy 1996, all things considered. First the Wrestlemania squash, and then deciding it would be a great idea to participate in the Curtain Call. Hunter was jobbed out of the first round of the King of the Ring tournament by Jake Roberts of all people, then did more jobs for Jake on house shows for the whole summer and into the fall, and finally got back on PPV in October just to job to the guy who took his King of the Ring win, Steve Austin, who was starting up the second phase of his rise by calling out Bret Hart repeatedly. But since Bret wouldn’t be back until November, Austin beat Helmsley first. By now Hunter’s heat and credibility had been demolished, but it seemed that Austin was the last punishment and finally, they began rebuilding Hunter, away from the Clique.

Actually, they’d started on that already, in a sense. Hunter, as part of his gimmick, would have an attractive woman escort him to the ring (in fact, his loss to Warrior had him being accompanied by Rena Mero in her debut; Hunter would blame her for his loss, her real life at the time husband Marc Mero, newly signed with the WWF, would jump in to defend her, and hence Mero and Rena would be paired on TV before Rena promptly left her husband so far behind it wasn’t even funny, but that’s another story).

Around September, Curt Hennig, having been retired from in ring action since 1993, started showing up and taking away the ringside girls, distracting Hunter and causing him to lose matches. Hennig had been collecting on a Lloyd of London’s insurance over the past years, but they decided that their insurance condition of “Cannot engage in physical sports or interaction” included walking around backstage and interfering in matches, so they canceled it, forcing Hennig back to work. Hennig would also back up Marc Mero in his attempts to become Intercontinental Champion, which Mero would accomplish at the September PPV. After the October PPV, an angry Hunter would challenge Hennig to a match for his constant girl theft. Hennig would accept, but the match wouldn’t happen as Hennig would be attacked backstage and his knee would be ‘injured’. Mero would step in to fight on Hennig’s behalf, putting his IC belt on the line to entice Hunter to fight him instead…and Hennig would turn on Mero, helping Hunter win the championship. The interesting thing was, in the storyline this was not a prearranged scam; Hennig would claim afterwards that he had done the whole ‘taking away the girls’ thing to get Hunter to focus and helped him win the title once he did. It was the most interesting storyline Hunter had ever been involved in and once again gave him a ton of heat.

So WCW signed away Hennig, causing the storyline to end as soon as it began and leaving Hunter twisting in the wind. Hunter still hadn’t quite gotten the knack of being ‘entertaining’ in an overall sense, but it was around this time that he started discarding aspects of the whole Greenwich snob gimmick entirely, instead just acting like a general jerkass instead. Unfortunately, that meant he lost his epic bow, which I always felt was the best part of the character. My dad found it hilarious, and they smartly put it in numerous WWF games so you could have your created wrestlers do it.

While Hunter would have the IC belt for four months, he didn’t have much success with it, being on a losing team at the November PPV, which also saw the debut of his ultimate nemesis, the Rock, on the opposite team as the sole survivor, and he would lose to Mero by count out at the December PPV. As 1997 started, Hunter would begin a feud with the now-face Goldust, who had discarded all his gay panic elements (for better or for worse). He would beat him at the Royal Rumble, aided by a giant black bodyguard named Mr. Hughes, who would have an INTERESTING career throughout the 90’s in how he kept showing up in WWF, WCW, and ECW when you least expected him, but he would very swiftly leave Hunter’s service. Instead, shortly thereafter, Hunter would be fighting Goldust again when suddenly, Joanie “Chyna” Laurer would debut, attacking Goldust’s manager and then-RL wife Terri “Marlena” Runnels by choking her out, before she started accompanying Hunter to the ring and standing there looking mean and intimidating. The fans didn’t like her. They booed.

So yes. At this point, Hunter and Laurer were definitely in a relationship, and the first real true heat he got was because his girlfriend looked all mean and would beat up people. One could argue that Laurer salvaged Hunter’s career, because it finally made HHH stand for “Hunter Has Heat”, and this time, his ‘heat aid’ wouldn’t be stolen away by WCW. Though once Chyna herself started becoming popular, WCW AGAIN played ‘follow the leader’ and debuted their own giant muscled woman called…Asya. Sigh.

And of course, there were numerous comments that Joanie’s masculine traits meant she was really a man. I’m not kidding, at the 1997 Slammy Awards, then-WWE personality Todd Pettengill would sing a song at the opening addressing various wrestlers in the crowd, and he did a bit about Hunter and Chyna where he outright knocked on kayfabe and good taste by singing the line “Hunter when you two get silly, which one of you has got the willy?” If you ever wondered just why Joanie Laurer self-destructed so hard, these sort of things might provide an inkling.

While Hunter would win his feud with Goldust, he would also lose his IC belt to the then-named Rocky Maivia during the first months of 1997. AFter getting a proper Wrestlemania match (and win over Goldust for the feud ender) next, he’d spend the next months beating various midcarders, aided by Chyna hitting his opponents in the balls. With his punishment over, and Hunter starting to get over via Chyna’s rub, Hunter would finally be given his King of the Ring win, one year after the one he was supposed to. Most notable of said win was his final opponent in the tournament: Mick Foley, whose character of Mankind was presented as a near invincible freak who barely felt pain and didn’t feel fear. To win, Hunter would have the most brutal match of his career, ultimately smashing Mick upside the head with a scepter to put him down for good and claim the crown. Mick, however, wasn’t going to leave it at that, and thus Hunter’s summer feud began, which would further help elevate him AND Mick, with the Hunter feud becoming a key part of what would be known as “The Three Faces Of Foley”. So yeah. After a really rotten 1996, things were going pretty drat well for Hunter.

They were about to get better. While Bret Hart and Steve Austin’s Wrestlemania 13 double turn had made Bret the main heel over half of the year, Shawn’s actions at the August Summerslam PPV also set in motion a heel turn. It would be a turn that Shawn would need a partner for. Like his lone Clique friend left.

D-Generation X was about to be born.

---

Oh look, I found that Slammy moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTcN2eCADkk&t=352s

Or you could just start at the beginning to see the whole cringe performance of Pettengill if you hate yourself.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
D-Generation X is somehow the most 90s thing and I only very vaguely remember the 90s, let along the wrestling.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

D-Generation X is somehow the most 90s thing and I only very vaguely remember the 90s, let along the wrestling.

Haha that reminds me, my DGX story is after an elimination loss in a hockey tournament in like grade 8 some older guy in his 20s was repeatedly doing the chop in the stands above us as we were leaving the ice, so a teammate took the lid off a water bottle and soaked him.

Dude was so mad he tried to barge into our locker room to fight us all, and our coach ended up putting him in a headlock until he calmed down.

SilvergunSuperman fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Feb 23, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I suddenly remember that Waluigi in Mario Strikers Charged does their crotch chop, apparently.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I suddenly remember that Waluigi in Mario Strikers Charged does their crotch chop, apparently.

That gesture has aged waaaay better than DX.

Taylor Swift did the crotch chop as well, and she is way more famous than any member of DX and arguably more famous than Waluigi.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Continuing with the WWE Women's Revolution thing, I mentioned how they would start doing women's versions of the big PPV matches like Royal Rumble, Hell in a Cell, Elimination Chamber, etc. I forgot to mention one they did that they did not think through: Money in the Bank.

The first women's Money in the Bank winner was Carmella, the kind of egotistical midcard heel who should win one of these. Problem was, at the time, she had a henchman named James Ellsworth. Ellsworth was a jobber with no existing chin brought in to get crushed by Braun Strowman who was so charming that they kept him around for a while. Eventually, he turned heel and aligned himself with Carmella. At the end of the match, with everyone else too hurt and tired to get up the ladder, Ellsworth just did it himself, grabbed the briefcase, and threw it to Carmella. Lots of people facepalmed at this one. It's one thing to have the heel win in an underhanded way. It's another thing to hype up the first women's Money in the Bank match and have it won by the literal worst man on the roster.

So they did a rematch on TV and this time Carmella won by getting the briefcase herself.

WrestleMania was coming up and one of the modern traditions is the Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal for all the men on the roster who have nothing else to do. This year they decided to add a women's battle royal and name it after Fabulous Moolah. On the surface, that made sense as she was Women's Champion for years and WWE likes to deify her. But being that this is the internet age, people are now aware that Moolah was one of the most horrible human beings to ever be involved in the business. Like forcing other women wrestlers into prostitution horrible. If there's a Hell, she's burning in it. Normally, WWE would ignore the response to that, but Snickers, the sponsor for WrestleMania, got wind of the situation and had them drop Moolah's name immediately.

As WrestleMania is a million hours long these days, there were several women's matches. Most importantly, Charlotte was the first to give Asuka a loss and Ronda Rousey looked like a million bucks in a mixed tag match of her and Kurt Angle against Stephanie and Triple H. Later that week, Carmella cashed in her Money in the Bank briefcase on Charlotte and became the SmackDown Women's Champion, as each show had its own women's champion at this point.

Now, I'm not going to pretend that WWE never pushed Becky Lynch. She was the inaugural SmackDown Women's Champion during one of the show's best eras. It's just that WWE didn't really see what they had in her and were too focused on Charlotte Flair. After all, Charlotte was the young, competent, flashy daughter of Ric Flair. What's not to love? Granted, her whole deal was talking about how she was genetically superior and maybe a face shouldn't be doing that, but you can see why WWE wanted to go all-in on Charlotte.

Becky, on the other hand, was a charming, scrappy face who had a genuine connection with the fans. With Carmella as the champ, they were building Becky up the old fashioned way: have her win a bunch of matches and get fan support through it. Becky worked her way back up and got herself a title shot at SummerSlam. Then WWE decided to just throw Charlotte into the match and make it a triple threat. Charlotte was still a face at the time and in-story, she and Becky were best friends.

At the end of the match, Becky had it won and Charlotte attacked her from behind and pinned her to become champion. As she celebrated, Becky snapped and angrily beat the everloving poo poo out of Charlotte. The fans lost their minds and cheered it louder than probably anything else that night.

Vince and the other WWE brass looked at this and went, "Huh? No, they're doing it wrong!"

In their minds, Becky was the heel. She was supposed to get huge boos for the attack. Everyone was supposed to cheer Charlotte. Instead, everyone sympathized with Becky and thought her actions were completely justified.

On the next SmackDown, Becky came out to do a generic heel promo where she blamed "YOU PEOPLE!" for all the things that went wrong. The fans would not go with this and instead continued to cheer the hell out of her. While the commentators tried to drive it home that Becky was a heel, Becky herself relaxed on the idea and started playing to the fans. As Charlotte's dad had the whole "To be the man, you gotta beat the man!" catchphrase, Becky started calling herself "The Man." She wasn't just the best women's wrestler. She was just the best. Fans loved her rebellious streak and by the time she finally seemed to be done feuding with Charlotte, WWE finally relented.

Notably, their feud initially came to end at a PPV called WWE Evolution. It was a PPV that was all women's matches. It was fantastic and it sucks that the company refuses to do a second one.

While all of this was going on, Ronda Rousey was tearing through the Raw women's division. She was treated as a female Goldberg, only replace "constantly hitting Spears" with "constantly pulling her underwear out her butt." She really needed better gear. While Ronda had some in-ring intensity, her promos were a different story. If anyone here has played Mortal Kombat 11, you know what I'm talking about. As a wrestler, Ronda could only speak in two speeds: "gosh, this really means a lot to me" and "I WILL TEAR YOUR FACE OFF!" That's her entire range and if she wasn't getting the crowd response she was going for, she would fall apart.

These days, Survivor Series is all about doing Raw vs. SmackDown matches for the bragging rights of brand supremacy. It really means nothing in the long run, but it does give us some cool Raw champ vs. SmackDown champ matches. That meant that they were setting up Ronda vs. Becky. It almost felt too early to do this match and fans went into it knowing that Becky was probably going to get thrashed. As it turned out, putting them together ruined Ronda. Becky represented a naturally popular champion that the fans got behind like a grassroots campaign. Ronda was someone WWE paid a lot of money to be their handpicked main character. Of course the fans wanted Becky to win.

Ronda started to reveal that she's not actually very good at the whole pro wrestling thing. On social media, she would try to make fun of Becky by 1) claiming that she has a penis and 2) claiming that Ronda would beat her in a real life fight instead of this fake poo poo. Luckily, Becky had a great Twitter game to counter whatever this was.

The match didn't end up happening. During a brawl at the end of Raw one night, Nia Jax (notoriously unsafe worker who got to stick around so long because she's related to the Rock) punched the gently caress out of Becky's face. Becky ended the show holding her title up with blood splattered over her face, which looked badass, but she was also suffering a big old concussion. She had to step down, so she had Charlotte take her spot in the match. Later on, Becky would lament how out of character that was. At Survivor Series, Charlotte got frustrated by her inability to put Ronda away, so she got herself disqualified and started using weapons on her. The crowd loved it, even if it was blatantly the writers trying to get Charlotte popular by repeating what made Becky so popular.

Fast-forward a few months. Asuka becomes SmackDown Women's Champion and Becky wins the Royal Rumble. We're finally getting Ronda vs. Becky and at WrestleMania! At this point, you can put the feud on autopilot. It writes itself. Instead, WWE threw Charlotte into the match, because of course they did, had Charlotte beat Asuka so that both women's titles were on the line in this match, and did a really dumb thing where Becky was forced to publicly apologize to Triple H and Stephanie McMahon so she could still be allowed to take part in her match. She did apologize and was still punished. It was so unnecessary and counterproductive for someone who was being treated like the second coming of Stone Cold Steve Austin.

Speaking of authority, they at least won the fans back with a segment where all three women were having such a brutal backstage brawl that they were arrested. While arrested and handcuffed, they STILL kicked the poo poo out of each other.

The good news was that the match was going to be the main event of WrestleMania. The bad news was that the show was so long that they didn't even get to wrestle until after midnight. Though they botched the ending, Becky won. Then Ronda left the company, bitter at how the audience had turned on her.

Becky Lynch started calling herself Becky Two Belts until eventually dropping the SmackDown one. Her post-WrestleMania feud was against newcomer Lacy Evans, who isn't very good. Months later, after Asuka won Money in the Bank, Becky handed her the Raw Women's Championship without a fight. Becky had to take time off as she was pregnant.

In Becky's absence, a young woman named Bianca Belair ascended to the top of the women's roster and defeated Sasha Banks at the main event of WrestleMania Night 1 to become SmackDown Women's Champion. Months later, in what is considered one of WWE's stupidest modern moves, Becky showed up at a PPV, had an impromptu match with Belair, won in SECONDS, and turned heel. Jesus Christ, guys. Why?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

legit thinking about giving DDP money because my ligament-type Ehlers-Danlos has progressed by age 36 to just random weeks of inner hip and lower back trouble because I laid down on the wrong surface for 15 minutes or sat just slightly wrong for an hour and straight yoga isn't working anymore. Anyone itt got experience with it?

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
a lot of goons have experience with it but asking in fight island might be better than gibbis

I thought it was pretty fun, my doctor told me to be careful and she was right cause too much down dog hurt my shoulder

it's pretty great for teaching yoga basics to people who dont know yoga basics though, in fact ddp yoga used to be named "Yoga for Regular Guys"

even though I had to take it easy with it after I hurt my shoulder it still taught me a shitload about other things you can do that don't stress the shoulder

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Hollismason posted:

It was made up how Nancy "Woman" Sullivan and Chris Benoit was made up.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Ad by Khad posted:

a lot of goons have experience with it but asking in fight island might be better than gibbis

I thought it was pretty fun, my doctor told me to be careful and she was right cause too much down dog hurt my shoulder

it's pretty great for teaching yoga basics to people who dont know yoga basics though, in fact ddp yoga used to be named "Yoga for Regular Guys"

even though I had to take it easy with it after I hurt my shoulder it still taught me a shitload about other things you can do that don't stress the shoulder

Shoulder hurts make me wary because I got my left shoulder rebuilt when I was 17, because it just dumped out of socket on its own accord so many times my ortho told me it looked like I was in a multiple-rollover car crash with my arm extended when it happened; however, shoulder stability stuff and body awareness is also how I keep both in socket now that we're going on nearly 20 years past that surgery.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
vince is currently trying to murder his son-in-law because triple H failed to destroy AEW and so that makes him a failure

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 23, 2022

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
This is from another poster in PYF but I thought y'all would appreciate it (with credit to Kheldarn for compiling these)

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Oh man, I forgot about Disco Inferno, lol

These are so loving great :haw:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
a 57 year old stone cold steve austin who has a very bad neck and very bad knees will be wrestling in this years wrestlemania

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

a 57 year old stone cold steve austin who has a very bad neck and very bad knees will be wrestling in this years wrestlemania

It's important to stay current and use hot young talent to build your brand forward.

Can't wait to watch a 70 yr old Stone Cold give 99 yr old Vince McMahon a stunner that kills both of them in the ring, finally ending that legendary feud.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Hot take, I thought Vince was totally fine playing the straight man announcer

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

yea he was, he's a great courtside reporter. extremely funny deadpan.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

*goldust spot*

vince: well. i dont know about that.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Hot take, I thought Vince was totally fine playing the straight man announcer

what a maneuver!

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Gavok posted:

Becky Lynch.

I no longer follow wrestling, aside from checking out Up Up Down Down/Xavier Woods. So when I hear about wrestling things, it's through social media or people talking about stuff elsewhere. I remember the Twitter trend regarding WWE's treatment of women's wrestling. I remember people being sick of Roman Reigns being forced upon them and expected to love him, and wanting Bryan Danielson to be pushed. And I sure as poo poo know that Becky Lynch is THE MAN.

And it's so weird to me how the audience can have a perception of the product, and have platforms where they can not only make it clear to WWE what they want but also bring attention to the product to outsiders and draw interest to it, and WWE continues to stubbornly fight against this at every point. I'm not saying you need to give in to everything the audience thinks they want, but you're actively sabotaging yourself by knowingly giving them what they DON'T want because you're loving petty.

And it's something Vince has done and continues to do because when you're a billionaire, you exist in a realm separated from the rest of the earth. The concept of "losing money" means nothing to you, even if it means everything to the people that work for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

MrQwerty posted:

Shoulder hurts make me wary because I got my left shoulder rebuilt when I was 17, because it just dumped out of socket on its own accord so many times my ortho told me it looked like I was in a multiple-rollover car crash with my arm extended when it happened; however, shoulder stability stuff and body awareness is also how I keep both in socket now that we're going on nearly 20 years past that surgery.

one of the main things I learned from doing ddp yoga too excitedly and hurting my shoulder is that its ok if you just do what you can, you dont have to do EVERY move alongside the main character, dallas page

if you already know how to do yoga i'm not sure how helpful it would be though, it specifically tries to be a beginner's yoga for people who otherwise would not do yoga