Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://www.urdupoint.com/en/world/german-insurance-company-says-nord-stream-2-c-1474902.html

quote:

MOSCOW (UrduPoint News / Sputnik - 23rd February, 2022) German insurance company Munich Re said on Wednesday that the contract for Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline project was canceled, Bloomberg reported.

This week, German Chancellor Olaf Scholz said that he had instructed the country's economy ministry to take "necessary administrative steps" to revoke the Nord Stream 2 certification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Could be a wild weekend.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
well yea, elden ring is out on the 25th

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

John Charity Spring posted:

the biggest reason not to is a hostile population making occupation hell

yeah honestly I don’t think the ukranians genuinely have it in them to successfully wage a long term insurgency because not only do they not have a political ideology strong enough to sustain the sacrifices the way Islamists or tribal folk tend to have it’s also, let’s be real, going to be suicidal to go up against an army that has genuine experience and success in putting down popular uprisings to keep minoritarian genocidal dictators in power.

i got bad news to the ukranians, if Russia and it’s Allies can get away with sarin gassing thousands of people in Syria to put down a city, they can absolutely get away with it in Ukraine.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

crepeface posted:

well yea, elden ring is out on the 25th

gonna be Wilding out this Thursday/Friday

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Al-Saqr posted:

gonna be Wilding out this Thursday/Friday

Elden Ring, Cyberpunk next-gen patch, Horizon Forbidden West... lots to play!

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

John Charity Spring posted:

the biggest reason not to is a hostile population making occupation hell
I hate this take because you're basically demanding that the Ukrainian people sacrifice their lives, the lives of friends and loved ones, all personal hopes for the future, just to satisfy foreign commentators desire to see the Russian military suffer some extra losses to annoy Putin.

Like I can tell you right now if Germany invaded the UK I would not be out there with a pipe bomb sacrificing everything to track a Leopard, all I'd be doing is trying to make sure my family was as safe as possible in the new system. It's wrong to ask any more than that of civilians.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Glimm posted:

i think what the US is doing is probably the best approach they can

Oh, what a loving surprise

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

it doesn't seem to be much of a moral impulse, it seems to be more of a strategic prediction

if you invade place, people will resist invasion. that's very inconvenient to deal with. if you're going to invade place, you have to be prepared for people resisting. that can be difficult, as seen in e.g. afghanistan, and the russians have shown little appetite for this kind of scenario in recent history

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Flayer posted:

I hate this take because you're basically demanding that the Ukrainian people sacrifice their lives, the lives of friends and loved ones, all personal hopes for the future, just to satisfy foreign commentators desire to see the Russian military suffer some extra losses to annoy Putin.

Like I can tell you right now if Germany invaded the UK I would not be out there with a pipe bomb sacrificing everything to track a Leopard, all I'd be doing is trying to make sure my family was as safe as possible in the new system. It's wrong to ask any more than that of civilians.

I'm not asking it of Ukrainians, not in the slightest. I'm saying that I can't see why the Russian army - from their perspective alone - would want to occupy the country for no reason other. Ukraine isn't Afghanistan but there has to be institutional memory in the Russian army of what happens when they try to occupy/pacify a country that has diehards in it being supported by western arms and money, not to mention direct examples of the US attempting this in Iraq and Afghanistan Version 2 as well in recent years. Plus the western security services have been open about training and arming stay-behind groups in Ukraine. Not to mention that a full occupation of Ukraine would mean that there's no longer any buffer between Russia and NATO members, which is the whole reason they've been trying to stop NATO's eastward expansion.

I don't see why they'd want to occupy Ukraine at all. Even in a scenario where the population is as placid as can be (as, I agree, I would also be if the UK was invaded or whatever), it'd still be a headache for nowhere near enough gain to justify it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

crepeface posted:

huh, the actual contract has been cancelled? if true, it sounds a bit more serious than the previous scholz statement.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-munich-re-nord-stream-2-idUSKBN2AN18M

the *insurance* contract got pulled lmao

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Yeah Nordstream 2 has been “killed” a couple hundred times at this point.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

A friend on Discord found that board game in the OP of a thread on custom Risk maps, so the tweet is probably fake, unfortunately. I really wanted to believe in a Russian dad saying a homebrew Risk board was an Orthodox Splitter conspiracy.

No, I remember RISK boards looking like that too, though I didn't at the time think there was anything weird about it

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Glimm posted:

maybe that'd be good

i think that's more just giving Putin what he wants, which will just embolden him to do the same thing elsewhere next

Stamping your feet and refusing to give other people what they want only leads to war, a war you are only too happy for other people to fight and die in because you're too dumb to recognize that you'd probably die in this one too.

This is the way 30 years of hegemony have warped your mind.

What do you think diplomacy is, anyway?

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

https://twitter.com/PDChina/status/1496424596400009217?s=20&t=nxxFhkPTH3gvk8QBF3YVgg

All cats are meme but China has the memest cat

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Wait is the insurance contract for Germany or Russia? Because if it's for the former or both couldn't that make them not want to pull out?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

thank you, China

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

crepeface posted:

lol it really is a parade of a new idiot into this thread every six hours or so

folks i am proposing a total and complete shutdown of posters from others threads until we can figure out whats going on

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

thechosenone posted:

Wait is the insurance contract for Germany or Russia? Because if it's for the former or both couldn't that make them not want to pull out?

Germany cancelled the insurance contract to send a message to Russia, but it doesn’t mean the pipeline is actually dead.

————-

Russia doesn’t have an issue with staging forces versus NATO (it is already happening in Kaliningrad), the issue is allowing NATO to push itself East closer to Moscow and putting Russia in a more awkward strategic position.

Also, the partisan thing sounds like a bluff, not only would it destabilize Ukraine but it would directly affect all the EU countries on its borders and height the possibility of a general European War. There is a reason why The European powers wanted the Balkan Wars clearly settled.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

wow, no way this could backfire in a country with already-established neonazi militias

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

None of these dipshits care about Ukraine at all. This whole bowl of poo poo has been people living in a loving dream world about conflicts from 40 years ago (or 80 for the Azov types), and yet they feel the justification to be smug and indignant about it.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Al-Saqr posted:

next time Hamas parades kids in military uniforms and the libs get horrified let’s just bookmark these last few days shall we, it’s an amazing contrast.

I'd be curious if they think the situations in Yemen, Syria, occupied Palestine and global sanctions throughout the world count as an aggressive US action.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

gradenko_2000 posted:

America doesn't like wars, which is why it conducts wars, but with drones

Okay

America loves war as long as it's politically cost-free. We can't get enough of that flavor of war. We want to kiss cost-free war on the lips and introduce it to our mother.

The idea of losing thousands of people a day to a grinding peer-to-peer conflict and risk actually losing? No fuckin' way.

That doesn't make us even remotely unique throughout history, it's just that ascribing it to a sense of morality or uprightness is laughable.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
So does this end any other way than NATO giving up on ever giving Ukraine membership and Putin pulling back?

I'd guess that he'd like to go all the way to Kiev, but Ukraine ain't Georgia and that'd be a pretty big bite for the Russian Army (which sucks poo poo).

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Glimm posted:

yeah i think killing people and claiming their lands is bad

Brave pro landlord posting here.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/bopinion/status/1496399293124599808?t=ESHdzeAksbKlO2enzM32SQ&s=19

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

oh word?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Imagine the babysoft brain you would need to have to be surprised by this.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Glimm posted:

yeah i think killing people and claiming their lands is bad

so get out of America, settler scum

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Zeroisanumber posted:

So does this end any other way than NATO giving up on ever giving Ukraine membership and Putin pulling back?

I'd guess that he'd like to go all the way to Kiev, but Ukraine ain't Georgia and that'd be a pretty big bite for the Russian Army (which sucks poo poo).
The Russian military sucks poo poo compared to the US military, as does every other military. Take the US out of the equation however and the Russian army is absolutely the worst army to be going up against in a land war. If Russia is hell-bent on taking Kiev whatever the cost it would be fairly quickly achieved.

Economically the West could shatter Russia and grind their army out of existence that way but it would take a few years to bankrupt them and that's disregarding wildcards like India, China, Brazil and Iran who well might continue providing markets for Russia.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

good

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

i love oil

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Flayer posted:

Economically the West could shatter Russia and grind their army out of existence that way but it would take a few years to bankrupt them and that's disregarding wildcards like India, China, Brazil and Iran who well might continue providing markets for Russia.

...can they?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

The west couldn't even "grind down" Cuba into oblivion.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
the west would grind themselves down

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Flayer posted:

The Russian military sucks poo poo compared to the US military, as does every other military. Take the US out of the equation however and the Russian army is absolutely the worst army to be going up against in a land war. If Russia is hell-bent on taking Kiev whatever the cost it would be fairly quickly achieved.

The US wont send troops into Ukraine if Russia is doing a full blown invasion my man, its not a matter of who's army has the biggest dick.

And the US and its allies could "shatter china economically" as well if they all got together and decided to constantly hit their dicks with a hammer for a decade. Its not something thats feasible when they are so integrated into the world economy.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
"we are grinding you down," says a frozen icicle with scholz's voice

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The US wont send troops into Ukraine if Russia is doing a full blown invasion my man, its not a matter of who's army has the biggest dick.

And the US and its allies could "shatter china economically" as well if they all got together and decided to constantly hit their dicks with a hammer for a decade. Its not something thats feasible when they are so integrated into the world economy.
That's the point. The best the West can do if they go all out against Russia is win an economic war and degrade Russia's ability to project power but nothing barring full military commitment from the US military is actually able to defeat the Russian military. And that's only a theoretical discussion anyway at current technology levels because nukes exist.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Glimm posted:

they've been there the entire time dumbass

So nothing has changed?
Edit: Wait, I'm hours late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Kill All Cops posted:

its almost as if having a gvmt that incompetent so that china could be the saviour was the plan all along

god, the ukraine crisis really is bringing all the nimrods back to this thread