Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Collapsing Farts posted:

Yeah I'm not sure what some of the Daemons do if they go up against air heavy factions once Mortal Empires are out since they don't have range OR air. Slaanesh will just have to sit there and jerk off if I ever attack them with like, wood elf eagle archers and dragons etc

I was wondering that. I think shields work a little better now vs range stuff? but remembering back to mortal empires and how powerful range+arty is some of the new factions are gonna get their arse handed to them unless there's some big overhauls.

e: I think MP domination would be alright as there's so few units and flyers can't cap points so if someone went full on range they'd be easily flanked and have no ground control, but the idea of playing as nurgle in a field battle against a skaven which is going full war crimes is scary.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Feb 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm going to have to change my stance on the new settlement defense mechanics back to "gently caress this" if I never actually get to be on the defense for loving once. I'm at turn 70 and haven't fought a single one on defense because the goddamn AI will always prefer to siege you out.

It's really frustrating, having all these cool mechanics shown to you and it working out so you're only getting hosed by them because you have to assault settlements manually while the loving coward AI just waits for attrition to kill you off when they're the ones attacking every goddamn time.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
total war: warhammer 3 - the loving coward AI

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Yeah I usually like defenses but in what has to be like 200 turns I've never gotten a defense EXCEPT when my forces are at one third health after siege attrition which is a lot less fun. Like, give me a healthy army to defend something with already

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Collapsing Farts posted:

The loving khorne weapons you can pick in his realm disappear when you go into another realm :mad:

I will miss you 3.5k per hit Skarbrand. Should have saved dad for last. He needs his space weapon back.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Collapsing Farts posted:

Yeah I usually like defenses but in what has to be like 200 turns I've never gotten a defense EXCEPT when my forces are at one third health after siege attrition which is a lot less fun. Like, give me a healthy army to defend something with already

honestly even in those circumstances you can trick the AI pretty effectively to just chase gnoblars around while getting battered by the towers. but i am playing on normal battle difficulty.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
Looks like fixes will be a series of smaller patches rather than one big release, first one is for performance issues apparently

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
Bloody hell, what method does the AI use to level up its lords? My confederated Kostaltyn is basically unusable. I am in dire need of that respec mod.

8 Ball posted:

Looks like fixes will be a series of smaller patches rather than one big release, first one is for performance issues apparently

I just hope they fix the upkeep bug soon, it's kind of a campaign killer if you don't twig to it and suicide all your confederated lords

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
yeah, the upkeep bug is kinda killing my desire to start new campaigns, it can be pretty severe if you don't take care of it, and it's killer when confederating.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Collapsing Farts posted:

Yeah, the only one I've had was also after Skarbrand has seiged it for 5 turns. Luckily he quickly found out that attacking a tier 4 city with mostly chariots isn't a great idea no matter how many sick wheelies they can pull off. It's the first time I've seen siege towers actually get destroyed before reaching the walls.

And that's why Hellpit is now named Skarbrands Folly.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Feb 23, 2022

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm having enemies siege assault me but it doesn't matter how they do it, t3 garrisons/walls will keep out almost anything. You just have to find where you can block up the chokes and upgrade the towers behind there. Even better if you can get the choke to be one of those areas with a monument.

I just held off two goldtooth doomstacks with a half dead cathay garrison/army by abusing that. By the time they got to my units they were half dead. My lord spamming heals and fire spells did the rest.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
my warhammer 3 review

(google translation of: Are you winning, son?)

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Feb 23, 2022

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I've never had a siege defense for a walled city as Nurgle. I guess it's a combination of having just a few walled cities, and walls being industrial-grade stink that repells anyone.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Kostaltyn's voice acting is unironically one of the best parts of the game and he's an incredibly powerful LL. He's vastly more fun to play than the Tsarina, imo, who I think is actually pretty boring (and more than a little undertuned).

One of the voices for the regular Patriarchs sound so much like Charlie Day I’m having a hard time convincing myself it’s not him.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Deketh posted:

Bloody hell, what method does the AI use to level up its lords? My confederated Kostaltyn is basically unusable. I am in dire need of that respec mod.

I just hope they fix the upkeep bug soon, it's kind of a campaign killer if you don't twig to it and suicide all your confederated lords

Just ask good guy Slaanesh for 20 extra levels. Easy fix.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I'm surprised they didn't get more out there with the realm of chaos roaming armies; Khorne's got the right idea, but they could of relieved a lot of the grief by just adding a bit more faction variety to the others. Clan pestilence Skaven and 'plague' zombies for nurgle, glamoured mortals (mainly elves) for slaanesh, full mage gimmick stacks and your own stack from the past/future for Tzeentch.

Instead of fighting identical stacks of blue horrors every single bird unit in the game in one armu should turn up on occasion.

Vagabong fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Feb 23, 2022

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
The slaneesh rewards really are nuts. You only give up one round of the soulhunting, which is really not that big of a deal - and in return you can make your LL into a god or get like insane growth bonuses so your realms grow faster than anyone elses. If it was harder to get to the central circle of his personal hell It'd feel like a bigger sacrifice but his realm is usually the easiest imo

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
How should I be levelling up big daddy nurgle? Seems like a waste to level his spells at all since he gets a spellcaster right at the beginning.

Not sure the blue line is worth it. But lightning strike and upkeep is always good.

Jarvisi fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Feb 23, 2022

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Is steam/GFWL campaign crossplay fixed yet? Tried last week and it just shat the bed.

Also I still can't recruit more than 2 local units per region as Chaos Undivided, which makes building a stack a slog - anyone else have this problem?

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Tiler Kiwi posted:

my warhammer 3 review

(google translation of: Are you winning, son?)

lol you are doing a great work. Want screenshots of plague catapults and rocket batteries firing together.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Twigand Berries posted:

lol you are doing a great work. Want screenshots of plague catapults and rocket batteries firing together.

nurgle realm is gross btw

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
That's weird, the one thing I don't have a problem with is getting the enemy to besiege my settlements.

I think it works like this:

-Difficulty, the game says AI will be more reckless on easier difficulty settings. This I assume makes them more willing to try sieges you can win.

-Auto resolve, this is the main factor I think. All the times the AI did a siege the odds were pyrrhic victory at best, typically valiant /close defeat most of the time when sallying out to fight them. Conversely, it feels like the AI sallies less, and it's very possible to get settlements with a fairly weak force through patience.

-Proximity to relief, if you have an army within 2 turns March away they are more likely to initiate a battle in an encircled settlement to try to capture it before you can reach them. If it's heavily defended but no relief in sight they'll take their time for a bit.

-Supplies, I think supplies also factor into this as well because a besieged settlement gets extra starting supplies each round so at some point the AI won't want you to be able to tower spam easily.

Playing on Hard, these factors mean that so far I only win about a third of the sieges the AI engages with. I'm not sure the gimmicks people use to win, I've built towers but they just don't go up fast enough or damage enough to matter in the end. The AI has been pretty decent about going for control points and forcing you to attack from multiple fronts which favors an opponent with perfect micro.

Also, walls don't help nearly as much. The towers are rarely in good spots, the opponent will typically send 4 siege towers and it's much easier to find a section to safely reach.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I've had the AI initiate multiple battles on my settlements while playing as Ogres, but of course they don't get any walls so...

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I don't bother defending the outsides. Most of the factions that are sieging me have garbage ranged, so I just forfeit all of the territory that isn't "the victory point" and put my entire army on the one/two entrances that come into it. AOE spells and massed archer spam will do the rest. You should have enough to level the tower into the cannon tower by the end too, which is way more AOE.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
How am I supposed to reach 50 supporters before Kostaltyn as Katarin? He's rushing ahead, and I'm losing them because the first faction you have to fight are other Kislevites.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Broken Cog posted:

How am I supposed to reach 50 supporters before Kostaltyn as Katarin? He's rushing ahead, and I'm losing them because the first faction you have to fight are other Kislevites.
Build churches everywhere. Also the rituals gain supporters as well if you do certain things. When you only hold a little territory chaos incursions from low faith or whatever resource isn't bad because you can intercept them with your main stack more easily.

You'll eventually overtake him as you expand, I'm on turn 100 and finally got him to confederate and he barely expanded beyond the starting area so you'll have more opportunities for followers later on. I think it's by design to encourage you to actually expand and work towards getting followers. Don't forget you can also remove his own followers with resource or money.

Panfilo fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 23, 2022

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Broken Cog posted:

You're getting devotion and supporters mixed up. Just build a chapel in every place you take and you'll do it naturally. If you pop the "gain 5 for capturing a settlement" before you take your third settlement you can jump up 15 just by finishing off the oblast, too.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

You don’t really need to. Just build some churches and use devotion to steal supporters once he reaches 50. You should fly past him after that.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.

Jarvisi posted:

How should I be levelling up big daddy nurgle? Seems like a waste to level his spells at all since he gets a spellcaster right at the beginning.

Not sure the blue line is worth it. But lightning strike and upkeep is always good.

I finished my Nurgle campaign (N/N).

Ku’gath I used mostly to buff/heal troops - he can make nurglings into really good tarpits which lasts up until the late-game. He gives good boosts to troops.

Use plagues constantly- they stack. The vanguard deployment is crucial.

I had a plague herald and a cultist in my main stack. The cultist can tank and summon plaguebearers and an unclean one.

Then once you get soulgrinders you finally have range - five soul grinders can delete most infantry units.

In my winning game I became buddy’s with khorne and skaven- so I gots me some halberd chaos warriors and warp cannons.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

dogstile posted:

You're getting devotion and supporters mixed up. Just build a chapel in every place you take and you'll do it naturally. If you pop the "gain 5 for capturing a settlement" before you take your third settlement you can jump up 15 just by finishing off the oblast, too.

No, I'm pretty sure I'm losing 2 supporters from taking settlements from them, though I'm also gaining some because I popped the "You gain 1 supporter per rank gained by a lord or hero" at the start. Currently I am sitting at 18, while Kostaltyn is sitting at 32, the churches do not generate them fast enough to catch up.

Ethiser posted:

You don’t really need to. Just build some churches and use devotion to steal supporters once he reaches 50. You should fly past him after that.

That's what I figured, just sucks to lose the first milestone/quest reward, since you can't use those "steal supporter" choices when he's below 50

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I dunno what to tell you man. Just building those churches even on vh has made me fly past him. He really doesn't generate them that fast. I was at 50 before he hit 30.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
How do you guys afford 5 soul grinders in your armies? I feel poor as poo poo

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

dogstile posted:

I dunno what to tell you man. Just building those churches even on vh has made me fly past him. He really doesn't generate them that fast. I was at 50 before he hit 30.

How on earth did you manage that, I'm playing on VH as well, and this is turn 16, currently sieging Praag after securing the eastern province:

That's with losing 2 supporters per fight/settlement you take against the starting enemy faction, did you just not fight them at all?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I only fought them when I could take a settlement with the ursan buff, that's a net gain of +3 per fight (not counting the first two fights, you can't do it then). If you want to really push your advantage, set up a second lord to play home defence and go krump the red eye to the east. You can actually just give all of those settlements to Kadrak Kadrin for a quick alliance after too, which lets you get Katarina back into the fight on the mainland and you'll have dwarven units later in the game to play with.

That plus chapels.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The faster you rush them down the fewer fights you have and the more you can mitigate your loss with the Ursun invocation. I barely lost the race to 50 but am easily going to win the rest.

I probably could have won if I had pushed for more churches instead of cash.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I took one field battle, that's another -2 extra, and I took the invocation that gives you supporters on level up, which I guess ended up giving me a total of 13-14 with my lord and hero. That + 3 chapels in the eastern province left me with that.

Ah well, pretty sure I'll beat him to the next ones.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Settment battle rant: CA made all the mistakes that GCCM mods did. In that the maps look pretty but are painful to fight in. There's areas your Missile units will snap into place but there's loving houses right in front of them and they won't shoot at all. The barricades are neat but they are seldom in useful locations. Walled settlements just add a few wall sections that don't seem to buy you much time, because enemies start too close and there's not enough towers that will be able to shoot at enemies. There are neat little 'bridge' sections but you can't place Missile units sideways on them to give them an elevated platform to shoot from.

There's not nearly enough exposed ledges to place missile units or artillery. There's the appearance of an ad hoc defense in depth but the fights don't seem long enough to matter.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah I didnt bother with any invocations until mid-late game and just slapped a chapel in each place I took, beat him to 50 by a couple turns and just kept going from there. Its really just that first faction that you need to fight so once they're down you should gain ground easily

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

toasterwarrior posted:

I'm going to have to change my stance on the new settlement defense mechanics back to "gently caress this" if I never actually get to be on the defense for loving once. I'm at turn 70 and haven't fought a single one on defense because the goddamn AI will always prefer to siege you out.

It's really frustrating, having all these cool mechanics shown to you and it working out so you're only getting hosed by them because you have to assault settlements manually while the loving coward AI just waits for attrition to kill you off when they're the ones attacking every goddamn time.

I’ve been on the defence basically constantly… with otherwise undefended garrisons. I’ve got one border settlement that actually makes me a lot of money spawning a Khorne army that instantly attacks and can either be auto resolved by my garrison or trivially defeated by sticking a tower up and luring their units away.

Defensive gameplay for settlements is very rich and very fun, but you’ve gotta be willing to play the battles that say “close/decisive defeat”. I’ve won some surprising battles I didn’t expect to win!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Panfilo posted:

Settment battle rant: CA made all the mistakes that GCCM mods did. In that the maps look pretty but are painful to fight in. There's areas your Missile units will snap into place but there's loving houses right in front of them and they won't shoot at all. The barricades are neat but they are seldom in useful locations. Walled settlements just add a few wall sections that don't seem to buy you much time, because enemies start too close and there's not enough towers that will be able to shoot at enemies. There are neat little 'bridge' sections but you can't place Missile units sideways on them to give them an elevated platform to shoot from.

There's not nearly enough exposed ledges to place missile units or artillery. There's the appearance of an ad hoc defense in depth but the fights don't seem long enough to matter.

For barricades specifically, remember that there’s four types. Some of the positions aren’t meant to block the enemy, but to buff *you*.