Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hostile V posted:

Fun fact: Ashtabula is an Anglicization of the word "ashtepihəle" which means "always enough fish to be shared around" in the Lenape langauge, while Hassenfeffer is based on "hasenpfeffer" which is a German rabbit dish meaning "peppered rabbit". So her old-timey name is Fish Abundance Pepper Rabbit.
If you'll allow a slight correction: in this case "Pfeffer" is actually a specific dish/method of preparation and may well, but doesn't necessarily contain pepper; Hasenpfeffer is jugged hare. :eng101:

(I didn't know that until about five minutes ago either, just had a hunch there was more to it :v:)

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass is on break.

Old School Peanuts (May 19, 1953)

LMAO Schultz is so bad at drawing action poses.

Calvin and Hobbes (Oct 2-3, 1990)

No Blind Alley today

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Strontium posted:

I love this comic. :allears:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Strontium posted:

I remember when Take it from the Tinkersons was a lovely comic about shilling local pizza places and theme parks. And then it got weird.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Giant Ethicist posted:

Yeah, I never have them on and can never see them, I basically just filled in some stuff in the appropriate field in the User Control Panel and hoped for the best.

The Uramachi Sakaba imgur album starts here, at any rate: https://imgur.com/a/wD25NnB

Hi! I've been downloading Uramachi Sakaba from your imgur albums to read offline in big chunks. The last one you linked to was https://imgur.com/a/7tmiFSL (labeled as chapters 49-56), but it seems incomplete and not caught up with your more recent posts. Could you please share the links to the rest of your albums?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell in: hey remember iPods? (December 26 2005 - January 1, 2006)

Modern Kevin & Kell

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Julet Esqu posted:

Love the central panel with the guard getting the curtain thrown in his face. Should he give chase or try to block the kid or do anything at all in this situation? Nah. Looks like the other guys have it under control.

EBB posted:

I love how one dude is ready to harpoon the kid and the other is all WOAH WOAH WOAH

Yeah these are both great details. The curtain guard kind of reminds me of that one Monty Python scene where the one guy gets stabbed and the other guard is just like, "Hey! :mad:"

Vintage Valiant (Dec. 04, 1949)

Medenmath fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Feb 23, 2022

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Hostile V posted:

Fun fact: Ashtabula is an Anglicization of the word "ashtepihəle" which means "always enough fish to be shared around" in the Lenape langauge, while Hassenfeffer is based on "hasenpfeffer" which is a German rabbit dish meaning "peppered rabbit". So her old-timey name is Fish Abundance Pepper Rabbit.

That's even better than "Bite the Wax Tadpole" imo

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Pastry of the Year posted:

Hi! I've been downloading Uramachi Sakaba from your imgur albums to read offline in big chunks. The last one you linked to was https://imgur.com/a/7tmiFSL (labeled as chapters 49-56), but it seems incomplete and not caught up with your more recent posts. Could you please share the links to the rest of your albums?

It’s complete for the online comics, the most recent comic was the last one on there, 53 I think? The numbers on the album title are for future-proofing. The comics we’re working through now are extras from the print versions, which are still in a poorly-organized, insufficiently labeled set of folders.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

Oh okay so the snake is actually totally cool with having his life taken away from him and trapped in a different body against his will as long as he can gently caress the hot mouse babes. That makes everything fine.

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Oct 2-3, 1990)

I thought I remembered more of a setup to this "Calvin pretends he's on TV" thing and thought I'd missed a post, but apparently I didn't. The last two strips posted were September 28-29 though which means we might have missed two days of strips, which is why this strip seems to come out of nowhere when the last one posted was Calvin talking about the math test.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Of course when snake-mouse has babies with another mouse, anyone else see snakemice babies? Mice with super long tails? Mice that eat other mice?

loving hell Prince Val is excellent. The art is loving amazing.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Mikl posted:

Classic Kevin & Kell in: hey remember iPods? (December 26 2005 - January 1, 2006)

Holbrook is trying to give Overboard Guy a run for his money on "poorly drawn animals" with that sheep.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Green Intern posted:

Holbrook is trying to give Overboard Guy a run for his money on "poorly drawn animals" with that sheep.

those are obviously cubist paintings rather than meat charts

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "52 - Jucika's Net"

"53 - Jucika's Ski Race"

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

On the last page or so, Blueberry, Prince Val, and Sally Forth have all been extremely good.

Im pretty sure that I'm being doxxed in that Sally Forth, actually.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I remember when Take it from the Tinkersons was a lovely comic about shilling local pizza places and theme parks. And then it got weird.

There's gonna be a point where the soundbite they use in Last Podcast On the Left opening is gonna be relevant for this strip...

"That's when the cannibalism started."

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Dec. 04, 1949)

King Arthur knows how to deal with an impulsive, thieving, house-wrecking troublemaker: make him take care of Geoffrey

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Doomykins posted:

"53 - Jucika's Ski Race"

I love Jucika's haughtiness in that last panel.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Giant Days x Batman

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

Finally the location of Gotham City is nailed down for the ages. And see, see the various foes of Batman. Can you identify them all?

Another Mr Blobby appearance. Worrying.

Took me a minute to realize that was the Sandman coming for Susan in that first panel (she had been up all night following news about Batman in Sheffield). Although, looking at the comments on the Foward Slash Scare site it's the Sandmännchen, a character from a old German children's show.

The Batman villains in that last panel are, from left to right (and this is me guessing) Poison Ivy, The Riddler, Penguin, Joker, Catwoman, Bane, Scarecrow, and Harley Quinn.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Twelve by Pies posted:

Oh okay so the snake is actually totally cool with having his life taken away from him and trapped in a different body against his will as long as he can gently caress the hot mouse babes. That makes everything fine.

I thought I remembered more of a setup to this "Calvin pretends he's on TV" thing and thought I'd missed a post, but apparently I didn't. The last two strips posted were September 28-29 though which means we might have missed two days of strips, which is why this strip seems to come out of nowhere when the last one posted was Calvin talking about the math test.

OK, wow. The files are in imgur so I think I must have typed up the post and somehow just not hit the submit button that day. Weird... In any case here are the comics you missed:

Old School Peanuts (May 18, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Sep 30-Oct 1, 1990)

Blind Alley

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

The_Other posted:

Giant Days x Batman

Comic Strips 2022: He's an American Man Who Thinks He's a Bat.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The_Other posted:

Giant Days x Batman

Oh poo poo I just noticed the appearance by the Sandman from an old DDR era puppet animation. He was featured on every episode of a legendary Finnish childrens' TV show and is still a cult classic over here.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: Response from above (1936)

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

:lol:

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Long Lever

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Storm P

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I hope The Phantom strip is just pictures of Savarna shooting that dude for months

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

The_Other posted:

Giant Days x Batman

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

Took me a minute to realize that was the Sandman coming for Susan in that first panel (she had been up all night following news about Batman in Sheffield). Although, looking at the comments on the Foward Slash Scare site it's the Sandmännchen, a character from a old German children's show.

The Batman villains in that last panel are, from left to right (and this is me guessing) Poison Ivy, The Riddler, Penguin, Joker, Catwoman, Bane, Scarecrow, and Harley Quinn.

Love the sandman ref.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

So because of the Will Henry interview I went ahead and joined Jens K Styve's Patreon and I'll give Dunce a try for a little while and see if I like it. I assume it's OK to post it here since we've been getting Crabgrass the same way, but if it's not cool let me know and I'll stop. Anyways if you want to support it too the link's up there!

I don't know how many I'll post a day but not this many (or even if I'll do it every day). I went back to January 2021 so there's some to go through though.

It's not always about the dog from what I can tell but I haven't seen much. I like the art though!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics
This is your regular "I didn't miss a strip, this paper doesn't have Sundays and a lot of comics made Sundays part of the regular M-Sat plotlines back then" reminder.

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

Computoon: Origins

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Bloop posted:

I hope The Phantom strip is just pictures of Savarna shooting that dude for months

The Shot Heard 'Round The Year

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I feel a need to point out that Alt For Dyr both translates as [Everything for animals] and [Way too expensive].

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
This Classic Mandrake storyline is so goofily fascinating. Mr F is so god drat happy to share his scheme.

Johnny Hazard very good.

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Even if you think the shooting was too drawn out I can't get tired of how cool Savarna looks here. Step off if this is supposed to be a bad thing, Mozz!

Kennel posted:

Into Ilves

I just want you to know I'm enjoying Into Ilves, even if I've stumbled briefly on the name a few times in dialogue, heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Haifisch posted:

Footrot Flats

I really enjoy how this and Wallace have the feeling of familiarity that comes from the author drawing from experience. Those horses are cartoonish, but both in shape and mannerisms they're done by someone who knows horses from somewhere other than seeing sleek ones on the racetrack.