Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Just announced a sequel and it’s coming out very soon. It must have done well. I honestly liked it and will be getting the next one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Iiii don't think I really liked the first one enough to pick up the sequel. And with such a quick turnaround it doesn't seem very likely they had time to respond to criticisms of the first one's gameplay.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I'll probably pick this up. It does feel unlikely that they address any flaws of the first one like the cumbersome menus.

Maybe they'll tweak the battles a bit, who knows.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Looks like the new voice of cards game is out today; if any of you play it, i'd love to hear your impressions. I thought the first game was...fine, but it didn't leave me wanting to ever play it again, or a sequel unless it's significantly better or weirder. Reviews kind of make it sound like it's more of the same so I'm probably gonna pass on it unless I hear something cool

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I wonder how many of these they plan to do... Hopefully not many more, or they get significantly more interesting.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

They probably cost next to nothing to make and will be bought by a reasonable contingent of Yoko Taro nerds.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I wanted to like it but it didn't really do anything with the card aspect other than being a visually different way of presenting the world and selecting stuff from menus. There was no deckbuilding of any sort in the demo (and the full game from what I understand), and at that point why bother doing it as a card game in the first place.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Coxswain Balls posted:

and at that point why bother doing it as a card game in the first place.

History Comes Inside! posted:

They probably cost next to nothing to make

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah there's no reason mechanically why any of this should be card-based, other than the fact that it probably saves a lot of overhead on artwork and animation, which is probably why they did it this way. The fact that they churned out two games so quickly seems to support this

it's tempting to think of the tameness of these early games as a yoko-taro style buildup to something truly and incredibly weird by the end of the series, but this is probably mostly just a lower-effort money-making series i think. Which is great for them if it works but I don't think I'll play them, which is honestly a kind of relief, because there are too many games to play anyway

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 17, 2022

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

History Comes Inside! posted:

will be bought by a reasonable contingent of Yoko Taro nerds.

This was me with the first game. It's not bad but I would describe it as Taro-lite in the same way that Nier Automata was Bayonetta-lite in the gameplay department: they offer the same general feel but lack the depth that I've come to expect. I won't be buying this second game.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Hikaki posted:

This was me with the first game. It's not bad but I would describe it as Taro-lite in the same way that Nier Automata was Bayonetta-lite in the gameplay department: they offer the same general feel but lack the depth that I've come to expect. I won't be buying this second game.

Same. I'm glad if he's making money towards doing another cool weird thing though!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

We’re getting an anime adaption it would seem:

https://twitter.com/KaroshiMyriad/status/1496441851758661632

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Larryb posted:

Yeah, there were rumors for a little bit. Seems they were on the money.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah, there were rumors for a little bit. Seems they were on the money.

Is this the first game in the franchise to get something like this out of curiosity (though I think Drakengard 3 got a manga or a novel if I recall correctly)?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The first anime that removes itself from your crunchyroll account after you finish it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Larryb posted:

Is this the first game in the franchise to get something like this out of curiosity (though I think Drakengard 3 got a manga or a novel if I recall correctly)?

Nier:A got a novelization and some short stories a few years ago.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Larryb posted:

I think Drakengard 3 got a manga
Yeah, it did, and it's pretty bad. It attempts to link Drakengard 3 with Drakengard proper, but is mostly remembered for being edgy to the point of self-parody. As far as I'm aware it was created without Taro Yoko's involvement, so if it's him you're here for, look elsewhere.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Did the original Nier and/or the first two Drakengard games get any supplementary material like that in Japan out of curiosity?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Larryb posted:

Did the original Nier and/or the first two Drakengard games get any supplementary material like that in Japan out of curiosity?

Aside from other things, Yoko Taro seems to also fuckin love getting japanese only audiobooks, audio plays, short story compilations, and who knows what the gently caress else made for his games.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 23, 2022

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Bad Seafood posted:

edgy to the point of self-parody

I feel like this is a decent description of Drakengard 3 itself; did the manga make it even worse?

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
There’s a manga that tries to tie Drakengard 1 and 3 together but leans HARD on a lot of gross stuff with regards to Furiae. There’s another short manga that is a prelude to Drakengard 3 about how sisters 1-5 killed the previous rulers of the lands and took over. It’s not nearly as bad, but it’s tiny and not amazing, either.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Yeah, Drakengard and Nier got tons of side material, most of which is confined to Japan (though fan translations exist).

Ainsley McTree posted:

I feel like this is a decent description of Drakengard 3 itself; did the manga make it even worse?
Drakengard 3 is dark and depressing but still possesses an emotional core and a sense of humor while telling a complete story. The manga is dark and depressing but functions as little more than connective tissue (without much internal merit) while lingering on some of the more uncomfortable elements from the original Drakengard without Taro Yoko's guiding purpose to back it up. It's effectively a historical anecdote in-universe, explaining how the Red Eyes spread across the Empire (and doesn't tell us much of anything we didn't already know or couldn't have intuited).

Also, one of the protagonists is an elf whose hobbies include rape and carrying around the still-living head of an immortal boy with a disease so he can spread that disease to as many people as possible for the lols, which always struck me as exactly the kind of chaotic evil character a disaffected teenager brings to his local D&D table.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

Yeah, Drakengard and Nier got tons of side material, most of which is confined to Japan (though fan translations exist).

Drakengard 3 is dark and depressing but still possesses an emotional core and a sense of humor while telling a complete story. The manga is dark and depressing but functions as little more than connective tissue (without much internal merit) while lingering on some of the more uncomfortable elements from the original Drakengard without Taro Yoko's guiding purpose to back it up. It's effectively a historical anecdote in-universe, explaining how the Red Eyes spread across the Empire (and doesn't tell us much of anything we didn't already know or couldn't have intuited).

Also, one of the protagonists is an elf whose hobbies include rape and carrying around the still-living head of an immortal boy with a disease so he can spread that disease to as many people as possible for the lols, which always struck me as exactly the kind of chaotic evil character a disaffected teenager brings to his local D&D table.

To be fair on the last part, there’s plenty of hosed up poo poo like that in the actual games/weapon stories as well

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Is there a link to the fan translated Grimoire Weiss?

I had one years ago but can't find it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The main characters in Drakengard 1 are a bloodthirsty psychopath, a racist, a baby-eating cannibal, a self-repressing pedophile and a child who winds up murdering his own sister, who went mad from neglect after their mother gave him all the love. Edgy goes with the territory.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Larryb posted:

I miss the days when this franchise was just games, stage plays, short stories, novelizations, manga, audio drama cds, music videos, recitals that occurred exactly once at individual concert performances, and powerpoint slides.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sit on my Jace posted:

I miss the days when this franchise was just games, stage plays, short stories, novelizations, manga, audio drama cds, music videos, recitals that occurred exactly once at individual concert performances, and powerpoint slides.

Yeah, I’m surprised it took them this long to do an anime for the franchise too

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Sit on my Jace posted:

I was just thinking that there is so much storytelling in the gameplay parts of Nier that an anime wouldn't work, but you have a point there.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Speaking of tie ins and stuff, are the Long Story Short and Short Story Long books worth $15 apiece?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

Speaking of tie ins and stuff, are the Long Story Short and Short Story Long books worth $15 apiece?

Can you link to those? I think I own them and if they are the thick hardcover black and white books then yes they are.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

pentyne posted:

Can you link to those? I think I own them and if they are the thick hardcover black and white books then yes they are.

These:

NieR:Automata: Long Story Short https://www.amazon.com/dp/197470162X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_192SW95N2V3BJA3YJ0XM?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

NieR:Automata: Short Story Long https://www.amazon.com/dp/1974701840/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_V4BHGZZ2TR808X2SNKN9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
I have them but haven't read them.

I remember some tweets around the release of one of them about how they read like they were almost machine translated. Maybe it improved with the next release.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The novelization of the game (Long Story Short) wasn't as good as the short story collection (Short Story Long).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Midjack posted:

The novelization of the game (Long Story Short) wasn't as good as the short story collection (Short Story Long).

How did the novelization deal with the game’s multiple endings out of curiosity (or did it just stick to Ending A)?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Larryb posted:

How did the novelization deal with the game’s multiple endings out of curiosity (or did it just stick to Ending A)?

A, D, and an epilogue that does E.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah there's no reason mechanically why any of this should be card-based, other than the fact that it probably saves a lot of overhead on artwork and animation, which is probably why they did it this way. The fact that they churned out two games so quickly seems to support this

it's tempting to think of the tameness of these early games as a yoko-taro style buildup to something truly and incredibly weird by the end of the series, but this is probably mostly just a lower-effort money-making series i think. Which is great for them if it works but I don't think I'll play them, which is honestly a kind of relief, because there are too many games to play anyway

despite being low budget, they have really nice production--the music and card illustrations are lovely. i feel like if yoko taro just went ham and used the simple interface of the game to tell some extremely weird stories, it would be a perfect little gem of a game. it'd be nice if they had some actual deckbuilding mechanics too, but in general it's like, i'm here for the bonkers storytelling but instead i'm just getting a pretty straightforward gameboy rpg.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I'm glad that the TV anime means Kira Buckland and Kyle McCarley are getting more work. :shobon:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

amigolupus posted:

I'm glad that the TV anime means Kira Buckland and Kyle McCarley are getting more work. :shobon:

Assuming they’ll be coming back for the dub that is (the English version of the TWEWY anime only managed to get Kariya’s VA back for example)

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
So according to a recent anniversary stream, an often asked question about the game's ending E was finally answered. Obviously ending spoilers ahead.

Yoko Taro specifically forbade the use of dummy data for the final shooter sequence at the end of the game for the players that help you when you die so many times. Instead they used the ending skip cheat immediately at launch to speedrun the devs to the end of the game and add a few legitimate player datas to the pot.

Not 100% sure if this is true or just marketing hype. Is there anyone who has done full playthrough of a completely offline unpatched version of the game to verify if the game just goes lol too bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ryoga posted:

So according to a recent anniversary stream, an often asked question about the game's ending E was finally answered. Obviously ending spoilers ahead.

Yoko Taro specifically forbade the use of dummy data for the final shooter sequence at the end of the game for the players that help you when you die so many times. Instead they used the ending skip cheat immediately at launch to speedrun the devs to the end of the game and add a few legitimate player datas to the pot.

Not 100% sure if this is true or just marketing hype. Is there anyone who has done full playthrough of a completely offline unpatched version of the game to verify if the game just goes lol too bad?

That sounds exactly like something yoko taro would do and if it's not true it's only because someone stopped him from doing it.