Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Fishbus posted:

I like it, it's an interesting enough wrinkle that leads to a distinct fork in outcomes, I may even throw in a red herring too for good measure.

Yeah, maybe a creepy old graveyard keeper as the red herring, if you want to indulge a little in cliche. Shades of Scooby-Doo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Literally call him Old Man Withers

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Trivia posted:

Necromancer is raising the dead to use as free labor at the behest of the town council.

Thwarting this leads the town to economic ruin and eventual civil strife. Warlords rise up and now you've got a bit if a mess on your hands.

I would be more keen to this if I was continuing the story, but I want to tie everything up in a neat bow by the end, it's a yearly(or longer) occurrence.

I'm going along the lines of a young noble learning magic/necromancy to frame a handful diaspora of lizard folk displaced via a similar threat from years back. The figurehead Beth, she's an essential and beloved part of the community who runs a very traditional apothecary and basically the necromancer is just a bigot looking to oust them.

Old man withers will also be there... as collateral.

Fishbus fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 18, 2022

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
With the new Crit Role campaign finally having a name for their group, what are the best or funniest names you've had for your party?

I'm playing Rime of the Frostmaiden as a goblin warlock named Junior and ended up with the owlbear whisperer secret, subsequently getting me a snowy owlbear cub companion / mount.
After some in-character discussions we decided to name him JJ - Junior Junior :v:

After spending most sessions being well meaning bumblefucks more than murder-hobos we accidentally (Ranger had some amazingly bad rolls on animal handling and perception) let JJ loose unsupervised in Easthaven and he absolutely decimated an outhouse while we were talking to the town speaker.

After calming down an angry elderly man and his son and leaving town again the name came to us:
Bear With Us (We Can Explain Everything).

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
There was a psychotic AI in one of my previous campaigns that took over an Imperium Planeship and the crew forced it to crash in Carceri rather than let it escape. It was like SHODAN from system shock, but my players called her Nurse Joy because the first time they encountered her she was pretending to be a nurse android. They made friends with her and actually worked together to escape the plane. "Nurse Joy" went back to her plans to conquor the multiverse and ascend to techno godhood after the party let her go :v:

Anyway for my current campaign the characters were raiding an abandoned SCP facility and find a mysterious CD Rom that contains an anomalous teaching AI that calls herself Miss J :twisted: A few of my players got the reference and a few of them are happily letting Miss J teach them various lessons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn96E-KioKU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Our 4E Dark Sun party was called, of course, the X-Slaves.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

PeterWeller posted:

Our 4E Dark Sun party was called, of course, the X-Slaves.

When I ran Dark Sun as soon as the party escaped slavery they stole a sand crawler and enslaved a bunch of people to live in the wheels :negative:

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

Rutibex posted:

When I ran Dark Sun as soon as the party escaped slavery they stole a sand crawler and enslaved a bunch of people to live in the wheels :negative:

We do what we know.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Nevermind

Beef Jerky Robot fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 21, 2022

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

Our party is a trio of licensed City Adventurers, and as part of our charter we're supposed to come up with a name. Avoiding doing this has become a running gag at this point.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
:hmmyes:
That's smart, can't be sued if you don't have a name

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
The five of us are a for-profit enterprise in Exandria, and my cleric is constantly spreading the good word of Pelor. To distinguish our group from The Mighty Nein, we named ourselves Five Prophet, which is always sung to the tune of the Hot Pockets jingle.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

In an OotA party with 2 spellcasters and a sharpshooter Gloomstalker ranger, it wouldn't be too cheese to take a bear totem barbarian dip for my fighter right? Everyone else is going to be blasting out damage so I might as well become unkillable

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

Rutibex posted:

:hmmyes:
That's smart, can't be sued if you don't have a name

Funny story, we got away with being accomplices to murdering a cop and a city council member because assisting the fulfillment of a supernatural curse by a spiritual entity (Spiritual Retribution) is an affirmative defense.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I find that I am dragged into a 5th ed game again. What's a current go-to low key competent build for level 5 to 10 or so? There's new players so I want to leave OP tricks and flashiness to them while still retaining a baseline quiet effectiveness.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

I find that I am dragged into a 5th ed game again. What's a current go-to low key competent build for level 5 to 10 or so? There's new players so I want to leave OP tricks and flashiness to them while still retaining a baseline quiet effectiveness.

Fighter of any particular flavor with polearm master and a glaive is 2 attacks base and the polearm master extra bonk at level 5 plus a reaction attack when something enters your melee range. And of course action surge and second wind, It's all very straightforward, you're hard to hit and bring down since you have heavy armor and while you might not hit quite as hard as some classes, you hit stuff a lot.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

^^ that plus Great Weapon Master lets you pile on some big hits, but you might feel bad about giving up 2 ASIs to feats if you're not a variant human.

The best idea is play a wizard but don't take any spells that do damage (War Mage, Diviner, or Enchanter preferably). Let your comrades feel like they're doing all the "big things" while you quietly sculpt the game to set everyone else up for success.

Other good options:

Trickery cleric for a great battlefield controller in that level range.

Forge cleric can be a really good tank.

Literally any paladin, your aura comes online at level 6.

Wildfire or Stars Druid seem like a lot of fun too.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Recently got in to some D&D podcasts after not having been in the D&D world since like 1995. I enjoyed all of the completed Dimension 20 and The Adventure Zone campaigns. I figured this would be the place to ask - what other podcasts heavy on goofiness/comedy are recommended?

It’s a slippery slope to be sure. I have already picked up some digital books with plans to write a campaign for my kids.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

St0rmD posted:

The best idea is play a wizard but don't take any spells that do damage (War Mage, Diviner, or Enchanter preferably). Let your comrades feel like they're doing all the "big things" while you quietly sculpt the game to set everyone else up for success.

A wizard who does direct damage is a failure. You will get a lot more damage out of a Haste spell on the party barbarian than you will get out of a Fireball

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Ragequit posted:

Recently got in to some D&D podcasts after not having been in the D&D world since like 1995. I enjoyed all of the completed Dimension 20 and The Adventure Zone campaigns. I figured this would be the place to ask - what other podcasts heavy on goofiness/comedy are recommended?

It’s a slippery slope to be sure. I have already picked up some digital books with plans to write a campaign for my kids.

You want The Dragon Friends, to be sure. A pack of Australian comedians who don't know the rules, murderhoboing their way around, insulting each other's character voices, and trying not to make every punchline be "cum."

They have live music accompaniment.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

El Fideo posted:

You want The Dragon Friends, to be sure. A pack of Australian comedians who don't know the rules, murderhoboing their way around, insulting each other's character voices, and trying not to make every punchline be "cum."

They have live music accompaniment.

Hell yeah that sounds like a blast thank you

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
With new ppl in the group a good support character that demonstrates clever play would be both useful and set a good example.

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

Ragequit posted:

Not Another D&D Podcast

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

St0rmD posted:

L

Trickery cleric for a great battlefield controller in that level range.

Think I'm gonna go with this one. Thanks everyone!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Ragequit posted:

Dungeons and Daddies is legitimately hilarious.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Think I'm gonna go with this one. Thanks everyone!

Treantmonk did a good build video for this a couple years back, just keep in mind if you use it for ideas, it was pre-Tashas, so you'll want to swap in picks from the expanded spell list and definitely use Blessed Strikes over the useless poison thing.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Azathoth posted:

Fighter of any particular flavor with polearm master and a glaive is 2 attacks base and the polearm master extra bonk at level 5 plus a reaction attack when something enters your melee range. And of course action surge and second wind, It's all very straightforward, you're hard to hit and bring down since you have heavy armor and while you might not hit quite as hard as some classes, you hit stuff a lot.
Just remember to actually get within 5 feet of at least one enemy at a time if there's a Rogue in the party. That's been a bit of a struggle in one of the games I'm in but the player's gotten better about it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Azathoth posted:

I'm planning a minotaur this out right now for my group's next campaign. Minotaur horn push to knock people back out of range.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Ragequit posted:

I figured this would be the place to ask - what other podcasts heavy on goofiness/comedy are recommended?

I think Rude Tales of Magic is the best and funniest liveplay podcast.

everybody involved has been doing improv together for years. DM is Branson Reese, the smooth sharks guy. he and another player are (among other things) storyboard artists, and another player is a comics writer, etc, so they all know how to do stories. the editing is tight.

there are earned narrative stakes and the general mode is that people will pick the move most appropriate to the fiction, even if it seems suicidal. very anti-powergamey.

also it's loving hilarious.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

St0rmD posted:

I just started playing 5e for the first time and made an abjurer in this mold. mostly defensive/assistance spells. so far, not doing blasts has been one.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

Empty Sandwich posted:

I just started playing 5e for the first time and made an abjurer in this mold. mostly defensive/assistance spells. so far, not doing blasts has been one.

Playing a wizard as your first character. A true man of culture.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

St0rmD posted:

Playing a wizard as your first character. A true man of culture.

I made him a researcher on his first field assignment, so my rank incompetence is in character :coal:

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

When crime haunts the night, a silent crusader carries the torch of justice.
So, question: my 6 players and I just started up a Witchlight campaign; one of my players is playing a barbarian and expressed the fear that she won’t have a lot of utility outside of combat.

How crazy would it be to allow one use of her Rage to grant her advantage on a single Skill check in which she’s proficient?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Gray Ghost posted:

So, question: my 6 players and I just started up a Witchlight campaign; one of my players is playing a barbarian and expressed the fear that she won’t have a lot of utility outside of combat.

How crazy would it be to allow one use of her Rage to grant her advantage on a single Skill check in which she’s proficient?

One thing to emphasize to her is that she is part of a team - everyone isn't going to be (or supposed to be) good at everything. Kicking rear end in combat is pretty important, and is a big role to fill. It's OK to stand back and let the high charisma characters do the talking out of combat, for example. Everyone's important for different reasons.

As a DM, you can throw in some encounters that will involve her in unexpected ways.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Deteriorata posted:

One thing to emphasize to her is that she is part of a team - everyone isn't going to be (or supposed to be) good at everything. Kicking rear end in combat is pretty important, and is a big role to fill. It's OK to stand back and let the high charisma characters do the talking out of combat, for example. Everyone's important for different reasons.

As a DM, you can throw in some encounters that will involve her in unexpected ways.

I don't think this really holds since no class is designed to be 'bad at combat' but good elsewhere. I would suggest some magic items or some degree of plot significance or the like in order to draw them in during non-combat sequences, if they want to be part of the experience other than when monsters are attacking I 100% think that should be facilitated.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ash Rose posted:

I don't think this really holds since no class is designed to be 'bad at combat' but good elsewhere. I would suggest some magic items or some degree of plot significance or the like in order to draw them in during non-combat sequences, if they want to be part of the experience other than when monsters are attacking I 100% think that should be facilitated.

Part of the problem is that she's choosing a class that is naturally strong in combat and weak outside it. If she wants to be stronger out of combat, maybe she should choose a different class.

I guess it's sort of like wanting to be a bard that excels at melee combat. If you want a strong melee fighter, a bard probably isn't the first place to start.

You don't get to be good at everything. Choosing a character that's strong in one area means its going to be weak in others. Rather than trying to force a square peg into a round hole, just pick a different peg.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I get your point, but Valor and Sword Bards are pretty loving great at melee combat.

Of course, the issue there is Bards do get to be good at everything in 5E.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Gray Ghost posted:

As far as a resource expenditure goes, I probably wouldn't utilize that trade much if I was playing a barbarian. It would pretty much mean one less (likely) full combat that I can be tanky in that day in exchange for a better chance at succeeding at a single skill roll.

You could probably up the value of the trade (1 daily rage for advantage + double prof?) or give it some longevity to have it apply to multiple skill rolls (until next combat, next X skill rolls, etc.) for it to be worthwhile IMO.

Otherwise yeah, you can give them out of combat value by dropping a magic item that helps them out with proficiencies or diversifies their skillset a little.

Ash Rose posted:

:yeah:

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Gray Ghost posted:

My advice is a little bit outside the box, but it's to just roll... less. If it's reasonable to do something and moves the plot forward, it just happens, no roll, no complications. If it's a character's theme or niche (like vaguely physical and athletic things, and wilderness things) for the barbarian, they just succeed. Maybe that's jumping over a gorge or hauling up a heavy load with a rope, or tracking a bear through the woods.

If the wizard wants to track the bear, they have to roll and use their skills. If the rogue does, same deal. But when you get characters confidently taking their spotlight time, you get good and immersive stories. If they're constantly avoiding doing things they're not good at "on paper" you end up with a much more cautious and gamey experience.

That also means the rogue just pops open locks during exploration, wizards identity magic glyphs, bards make friends with the gate guards. When something is meant to be hard and failure is meaningful, make them roll, but when failure means some variety of "try again immediately," "the adventure stops until you find a solution," or "you (the players) just miss out on experiencing this detail", you're better off being permissive and saying the first idea succeeds, improv the scene out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

Edit: ^^^This guy gets it.

The optional class features in Tasha's buff Barbarians out of combat by giving them more skill proficiencies. Where that puts them in relation to other classes, I'm not sure. They're definitely still a smash and bash-centric class, but it's something at least. That said, how the out-of-combat game feels leans at least as heavily on how you roleplay your character as any mechanical features on your sheet, in my experience.

PeterWeller posted:

I get your point, but Valor and Sword Bards are pretty loving great at melee combat.

Are they, though?

St0rmD fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 23, 2022