Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, does Togashi have any assistants or anything or does he basically just do everything in regards to the manga himself?

As I said before, if so there’s always the option of passing the art duties onto someone else (he is married to Sailor Moon creator Naoko Takeuchi for example) while he continues to write for it but it’s just a question of whether he and/or the other party would be willing to do so.

togashi hates the idea of assistants for undisclosed reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Man, now I’m wondering if Greed Island breaks if one of its creators dies or just gets a quality of life patch.

current arc makes the odds of it breaking lower since the entire Kakin Gu ritual has persisted for generations after it's original creator(s) passed away. However it's possible that all the people responsible for making the urn ritual died at the same time as some sort of contract as well which wouldn't be the same as say, Razor kicking the bucket. I doubt someone like Ging wouldn't put a failsafe into the game given the life he leads since his death is the most likely of the creators

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
greed island as a concept rules bc it's all the high fantasy epic secluded wizard has machinations and designs beyond the understanding of mere mortals except through the filter of "going into the songy gamestation to make a Full Restore real"

ging is hosed up lmao

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?

Death Bot posted:

greed island as a concept rules bc it's all the high fantasy epic secluded wizard has machinations and designs beyond the understanding of mere mortals except through the filter of "going into the songy gamestation to make a Full Restore real"

ging is hosed up lmao

Ging shows how loving exhausting life with wizards can be. No sense of right and wrong.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The best thing about Ging is that everyone hates him except weird sociopaths and total assholes

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
gon is also a weird sociopath and even he learns to hate ging.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

ImpAtom posted:

The best thing about Ging is that everyone hates him except weird sociopaths and total assholes

Kite's nice :[

Ging has the unusual ability to make people he finds interesting/worth working with believe in him to a fanatical degree. Despite all of them being able to see his flaws as a jackass with the worst personality.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

bitmap posted:

does the art for these periods where he...drew it with his foot or whatever look like this in the tankobons?

The art gets bad during the chimera ants arc too. FYI.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'd love to see this reach the end Togashi has in mind, but that's not going to happen. It has a perfectly fine ending with Gon meeting that loving poo poo Ging where there's only really a small number of loose ends you can use your imagination on.

I just hope Togashi is in a place where he's not in crippling agony.

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Kite's nice :[

The best thing about Ging is that everyone alive hates him except weird sociopaths and total assholes.

In a world where you can disagree with reality hard enough to make it agree with you, Ging is able to survive despite being known as one of the most disagreeable people alive. He lives a life that selects those friends, and even if he’s nice Kite is enough of a weirdo that his disagreement with reality manifested as a talking clown hammer that brought him back to life.

Mighty Eris fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 21, 2022

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

ging did nothing wrong

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I think my favorite Ging detail is the first time you ever see his nen, he's making finger puppets.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

If Ging made himself pregnant with Gon where did the baby come out?

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

He spat out an egg Piccolo style.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
athena style, just as graphic as possible

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
pull up, thread, pull u

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lumpL8bJttc

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Mighty Eris posted:

The best thing about Ging is that everyone alive hates him except weird sociopaths and total assholes.

In a world where you can disagree with reality hard enough to make it agree with you, Ging is able to survive despite being known as one of the most disagreeable people alive. He lives a life that selects those friends, and even if he’s nice Kite is enough of a weirdo that his disagreement with reality manifested as a talking clown hammer that brought him back to life.

Kite is not a weird sociopath or rear end in a top hat. And I don't think the Greed Island admins (except Razor, who we know did The Bad Things) are really assholes or sociopaths, at least not in the context of the HxH world -- which would make basically everyone a sociopath except random background people because it's a fight manga.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I thought the point was that everyone was a functioning sociopath because that’s the bare minimum needed to become a proper hunter, and that there’s just degrees.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Leorio, certified Hunter, is a saint and I will hear nothing otherwise.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
leorio's too good a person to have much by way of accomplishments with nen and hunting.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

He's landed a hit on the strongest nen user clearly he is the best of the original 4.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Leorio, certified Hunter, is a saint and I will hear nothing otherwise.

Tbh the fact that Leorio got carried hard and still barely managed to scrape by is kinda telling about the kind of people “conventional” hunters like Gon (basically an intelligent animal) Killula (assassin scion, trained from birth to the extent that he was supposed to learn Nen when he was like six) and Kurapika (literally insane, made his stand ability drain his life at an absurd rate because his initial plan was to go on a death march against the Troupe) are, and how sane he is.

…joking aside though, there is a pretty clear divide between people who wanted the obvious surface level benefits of the license like him and Pokkle (and trolls like Toppa) who are way more formidable than a normal person and people who just signed up for a death tournament either because they’re unhinged (Gon, Kurapika) or already had so much prior training that it ceased to be a death tournament (Killua, Hanzo, Hisoka) so even if the intent is to find people like the latter two groups some people that are the antithesis of Netero, a sociopath, get through. :v:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Leorio's lack of airtime is still probably Hunter x Hunter's biggest weakness. He's a great character and a good contrast to the other leads, which is why it's criminal he gets sidelined for the lion's share of the series. It wouldn't even be that difficult to include him, just make him the white mage.

With all the murder mystery stuff going down in the Succession Arc, I was hoping Leorio would get roped in as the Good Doctor to help Kurapika, identify causes of death, etc., but he's had all of two panels since the boat set sail, and at this rate that's probably all he'll ever get.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

To be fair, that test was worse than most, though not as unfair as Killua's 'nobody passes this year but me'.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

Leorio's lack of airtime is still probably Hunter x Hunter's biggest weakness. He's a great character and a good contrast to the other leads, which is why it's criminal he gets sidelined for the lion's share of the series. It wouldn't even be that difficult to include him, just make him the white mage.

Idk, I kinda like that he’s not around that long. Like, not in the sense that I don’t like him, cause I do (aside from “that” scene), but it feels…idk, more organic that the group isn’t really a group attached at the hip like the One Piece crew just because their friends besides the two kids who have no obligations, and he’s doing his own thing because he has things to do.

Plus, I thought his nen ability was just something about making surgeries easier, straight up healing seems to be pretty hard to do in HXH given how Dr Blithe forces the user to hunker down in one place and iirc makes them vulnerable too. And also kinda superfluous to a degree, nen is supposed to accelerate healing from anything but dismemberment, isn’t it?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Yeah ignoring the maincast and Hisoka + Illumi. The heaviest hitters there are Hanzo, the old martial artist and the blowdart guy.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Machi’s nen stitch ability is pretty bonkers. They could’ve easily given Leorio something similar.

And remember, he didn’t actually hit Gin. Gin just everyone think he did from a mix of admiration, “plans”, and not giving a poo poo.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Is that what he said in the post-anime stuff? I always just assumed he didn’t give a gently caress/felt like he deserved it but didn’t know he actually comments in it at some point.

Also that scene is pretty funny/sad in its full context, I guess it’s subjective but I interpreted him not wanting to see Gon as having enough of an understanding of his kid that he wouldn’t want their meeting to be like that and faith that faith that he wouldn’t die and is just bad at words so instead of him just showing a bizarre sense of pride in his kid it’s him being an rear end in a top hat and making a multimillion YouTube video out of it.

Then again I also think Ging reads as a high functioning autistic guy so maybe I’m just seeing things!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Bad Seafood posted:

With all the murder mystery stuff going down in the Succession Arc, I was hoping Leorio would get roped in as the Good Doctor to help Kurapika, identify causes of death, etc., but he's had all of two panels since the boat set sail, and at this rate that's probably all he'll ever get.
Kuwabara was also the best character in YYH and that also ran into a similar problem after a point. His absence is not the sole reason the last arc is bad but it certainly didn't help.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Last Celebration posted:

Plus, I thought his nen ability was just something about making surgeries easier, straight up healing seems to be pretty hard to do in HXH given how Dr Blithe forces the user to hunker down in one place and iirc makes them vulnerable too. And also kinda superfluous to a degree, nen is supposed to accelerate healing from anything but dismemberment, isn’t it?

His Nen lets him pass his aura directly through objects, and hear/feel what is inside or just beyond it, but he can also use it to extend his attack range to punch Ging from across the room. It's intended as Nen Ultrasound/X-ray, which is an extremely useful ability for a doctor to have.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Look up Hyenas. Same energy.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Kite is not a weird sociopath or rear end in a top hat. And I don't think the Greed Island admins (except Razor, who we know did The Bad Things) are really assholes or sociopaths, at least not in the context of the HxH world -- which would make basically everyone a sociopath except random background people because it's a fight manga.

Reminder that Kite was going to stand there and watch Gon and Killua die to chimera ants if they weren't up to the task and plunged into that entire situation despite the danger because he was overly curious. He's a nice guy but he didn't flinch to bring his mentor's son and some other 13yo boy into a dangerous situation.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

this show is great. every guess I make on what will happen next has been extremely incorrect.

about ten episodes from finishing Chimera Ants. :D look forward to finishing HxH so I can actually read this thread

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Brought To You By posted:

Reminder that Kite was going to stand there and watch Gon and Killua die to chimera ants if they weren't up to the task and plunged into that entire situation despite the danger because he was overly curious. He's a nice guy but he didn't flinch to bring his mentor's son and some other 13yo boy into a dangerous situation.

Not quite. He kept helping them despite saying he would not. Rammot was their test if they could not fight off Rammot without his help they had to leave as they would just be a burden on him. And despite saying after to look after your own life, once he sensed Pitou he immediately planned to bail on the mission and told Gon and Killua to run. He puts on a colder front then he actually has.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Kite is not a weird sociopath or rear end in a top hat.

Idk did you forget that part where he mentally dominated the koala hitman into becoming his lifetime slave? Kite's a pretty chill person and all but

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

I love this octopus

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Idk did you forget that part where he mentally dominated the koala hitman into becoming his lifetime slave? Kite's a pretty chill person and all but

Well, there's a reasonable expectation that dying and turning into an Ant might have changed him. But when he was established as Ging's friend basically everyone thought of him as a great person who cares for the world and those around him.

Brought To You By posted:

Except this is the exact opposite of what happened. Kite told them they had to be able to do that much to come along. He was never going to let them die. He was introduced to the series as killing a creature he truly didn't want to kill to save Gon -- who at the time was just some random kid to him. And when a challenge came that Gon and Killua couldn't handle he died to save them.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

bitmap posted:

I love this squid

Ikalgo owns, pretty much tied with Komugi for my favorite chimera ant arc character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Except this is the exact opposite of what happened. Kite told them they had to be able to do that much to come along. He was never going to let them die. He was introduced to the series as killing a creature he truly didn't want to kill to save Gon -- who at the time was just some random kid to him. And when a challenge came that Gon and Killua couldn't handle he died to save them.

I guess I read calling most of the cast weird sociopaths as a looser definition. The point I'm making is that it's hosed up that Kite thought it was still ok to take two teenagers into a situation like the Mutant chimera ants and then pit them in a literal deathmatch. Whose kids they are doesn't really matter to me. You can argue he'd have reacted to anything Rammot could throw at them no problem but he also didn't notice Colt until he swooped in and there isn't any real info on this kind of creature to begin with since they are abnormal. It might not mean much since fiction is littered with underage heroes in life-or-death situations but I occasionally do raise an eyebrow at it.