Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey I was wondering what are peoples opinions of priming while the stuff is on sprue and painting some sections before even assembling it are? In this case I’m thinking more for vehicles such as the manticore and Valkyrie. But specifically in the case of the Valkyrie the interior computer walls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I used to think that was a great idea, but I've since concluded that it's better case-by-case.

Typically if you can't see it to paint, you won't notice it painted. But cockpit internals and crew areas are probably the exception.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
It can be useful on a situational basis, but most of the time I built the minis before priming.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
I think overall itd be way more trouble than priming after assembling or in sub assemblies.

You want to keep paint away from surfaces that will be glued to get a strong bond, and you will end up removing areas of primer to clean flash and mold lines, plus it'll probably get damaged further from handling it while assembling.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
As I have said before, I'm still an airbrush beginner, but have had no issues with the brush / paint / cleaning etc. (all my problems are just my lack of practice =) and this video from Vince about cleaning and thinning paints is where I stole my process, and it has worked great as a starting point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEIJs1c4bsQ&t=2s

EDIT: also, here's his "ultimate guide" for air brushing, which is pretty good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJcgf31v5RU He goes into detail on his thiner recipe and all sorts of other good stuff.

Lumpy fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 23, 2022

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Painting the Underworlds Blade-coven has further dissuaded me from ever painting fully assembled models unless I have to. I feel content with sticking with subassemblies.

Although the Valk I painted last year did teach me that if I were to ever build a third one I'm probably going to skip doing the interior and just build the main body straight up before priming. Definitely had some assembly irritations with that one.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Hey I was wondering what are peoples opinions of priming while the stuff is on sprue and painting some sections before even assembling it are? In this case I’m thinking more for vehicles such as the manticore and Valkyrie. But specifically in the case of the Valkyrie the interior computer walls.
i have tried this before, albeit on smaller models, and ran into a problem where the plastic warps a little bit where you snip it off the sprue, which leads to the primer or paint not adhering as well as it might

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks! I was wondering how to build the Valkyrie and not back myself into a corner with the hull interior, but at the same time, I really prefer to build and then prime and paint.

Oh does anyone have an army painter set recommendation for something this will cover a lot of stuff for painting Space Marines and IG Units or just 40K in general.

It’s just a lot of the sets have huge coupons currently on Amazon and same day or next day shipping and you know gift card burning hole in my pocket, but mostly because I don’t want to have to constantly keep buying paint pots here and there because I need a new color, well at least less frequently then I am now.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I'd almost suggest to skip the interior and glue the hatch shut unless you wanna fiddle with magnets. The rear hatch can be really finicky about wanting to stay closed and I had to hodgepodge something together with mine to make it stay shut because it didn't hold itself closed through friction alone.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I painted all the armor plates on my AT warlord on the sprue, but that was mostly because the instructions tells you to paint them before assembly.
I ended up cutting all the pieces out, but leaving them attached to a single piece of sprue. It worked pretty well.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Electric Hobo posted:

Perfect time to post my first finished AT titan, a Legio Crucius Warlord! Tomorrow it'll walk among the grey sea that is my other titans, and hopefully blow up some jerks.
I printed some Epic 30k marines for the base, my plan is that they'll be duking it out around all my titans.

I love your tiny diorama approach to basing, it's like looking at a museum. Also that weathering and distressing really ties it to the base.

Mine are coming a bit closer to done. Probably another three or four sessions for the maniple:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Thanks! I was wondering how to build the Valkyrie and not back myself into a corner with the hull interior, but at the same time, I really prefer to build and then prime and paint.

Oh does anyone have an army painter set recommendation for something this will cover a lot of stuff for painting Space Marines and IG Units or just 40K in general.

It’s just a lot of the sets have huge coupons currently on Amazon and same day or next day shipping and you know gift card burning hole in my pocket, but mostly because I don’t want to have to constantly keep buying paint pots here and there because I need a new color, well at least less frequently then I am now.

Might not be a popular suggestion, but Army Painter paints aren't good. They can be very inconsistent, I've had two cans of primer literally blow up (they were stored indoors, thankfully in a box), and the consistency, in my experience, can be grainy. If you don't want to go GW (mostly good paints, but the pots suck) take a look at Vallejo.

As for sets, I would also recommend against them for the most part - there will always be colors you don't use, so you'll waste money and paint (I bought a Vallejo set 15 years ago, and still haven't ever used some paints); and no set is probably going to fully cover what you want to do. I would figure out what colors you need for your specific project (don't use too many! try to keep your scheme simple, unless you're painting for a competition) and go from there. Sets seem like a great idea, but unless you really like to get into the weeds, they wind up costing you a lot of money for fringe colors.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I think if your brush can’t reach it, it doesn’t need paint, so printing on the sprue to get around that seems like a lot of extra energy wasted just to satisfy some sort of….compulsion? to make sure every bit of plastic has some paint on it.

Seriously, who the heck is going to see it?

I just bought the Sisters of Battle’s Hospitaller and there was some bullet casing on the ground terrain, but once you have her stand there, the bullet is pretty much completely obscured unless you were using a magnifying glass and really shoved your eyeball up in there to see if someone painted it.

I could paint it, yes, but why?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I think if your brush can’t reach it, it doesn’t need paint, so printing on the sprue to get around that seems like a lot of extra energy wasted just to satisfy some sort of….compulsion? to make sure every bit of plastic has some paint on it.

I just bought the Sisters of Battle’s Hospitaller and there was some bullet casing on the ground terrain, but once you have her stand there, the bullet is pretty much completely obscured unless you were using a magnifying glass and really shoved your eyeball up in there to see if someone painted it.

I knew a guy who would paint the interior of his landraiders and glue them shut anyway. I honestly don't know if he was telling the truth because I couldn't look and see

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Honestly I'd probably do that if I had a Rhino to paint. But mostly because I'd try to let the hatches be openable.
I definitely didn't give a toss about that when I painted a Taurox though. Pretty sure I even put pieces of sprue against the windows so I could paint them black.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Verisimilidude posted:

I knew a guy who would paint the interior of his landraiders and glue them shut anyway. I honestly don't know if he was telling the truth because I couldn't look and see

I remember some miniature that featured a Schroedinger's cat. It had a box with optional parts, one with cat sculpted inside and one without the cat. The box was designed to be glued shut so you'd never know which variant someone used in their particular mini.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Pierzak posted:

I remember some miniature that featured a Schroedinger's cat. It had a box with optional parts, one with cat sculpted inside and one without the cat. The box was designed to be glued shut so you'd never know which variant someone used in their particular mini.

In the xmas unit with the gobbo riding the squig i posted earlier, he has some ornaments stuck in his literal gut

they modeled it, but it is literally impossible to see once glued together.

I did not paint it lol

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I’ll know man.

I’ll know.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yeast posted:

I’ll know man.

I’ll know.

Yeah that’s kind of how I feel too. I guess with the case of the Valkyrie it’s more because of the fact that I just think it’s gonna look cool if I can put the ramp up and down for offloading troops.

It’s just something feels odd when you’re looking at something that’s really nicely painted, but you know that if you looked just a little deeper there’s a huge part that’s just primer. lol

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

GreenBuckanneer posted:

There's one exception and it's the inside of the cloth of every Sister model that is also behind the legs. That's probably the most annoying thing but only if you attach to base before painting.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Eej posted:

There's one exception and it's the inside of the cloth of every Sister model that is also behind the legs. That's probably the most annoying thing but only if you attach to base before painting.

Open front robes and capes are the biggest offender to making things require painting in sub assemblies unless you're just going to have them be flat black. Followed by everything that holds a gun right in front of its chest.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Eej posted:

Sounds like I should probably use the airbrush and just spray some black primer in there

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Yeah that’s kind of how I feel too. I guess with the case of the Valkyrie it’s more because of the fact that I just think it’s gonna look cool if I can put the ramp up and down for offloading troops.

It’s just something feels odd when you’re looking at something that’s really nicely painted, but you know that if you looked just a little deeper there’s a huge part that’s just primer. lol

Look at it this way, painting the cockpit before assembly is standard practice when doing scale models of aircraft.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

moths posted:

I love your tiny diorama approach to basing, it's like looking at a museum. Also that weathering and distressing really ties it to the base.

Mine are coming a bit closer to done. Probably another three or four sessions for the maniple:

Honestly, the most fun part of painting this guy was making the base, and it's the part that has gotten me the most comments at my FLGS. Tiny Imperial Fists against Tiny World Eaters is just FunTM.

I didn't notice it at first, but that's a neat, boxy warhound you have there!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Finished a Patriarchs of Ulixis Infiltrator for my budding Spectrus squad:

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I'm still mucking around with color schemes. If anyone has suggestions, hit me. Ignore the blade because it's just a placeholder orange for now.

Silver will be basecoat of VMC Chrome, dulled down with Nuln Oil all over and an extra layer in the crevices with VMC Chrome re-applied as highlights. Panel lines will be picked out with Tamiya black panel liner.
Gold is going to be a wash of yellow over that -- have to experiment with Casandora Yellow, Nazdreg Yellow, and Iyanden Yellow to see which I like the most.
The remaining color will be the accent color which is what I'm struggling with.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

Finished a Patriarchs of Ulixis Infiltrator for my budding Spectrus squad:

What is your recipe for old scars? I have a badly made SM Scout that has an eye closer to a massive injury than an eye/ bionic, whatever it is supposed to be.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Electric Hobo posted:

I didn't notice it at first, but that's a neat, boxy warhound you have there!

Thanks! I'm also going to be decorating with dead Ultramarines - Betrayer was a hell of a book!

I'm certain you weren't consciously going for a nazi flag motif here, but you might want to reconsider "field of red, white inset, black symbol" before you finish the squad. You might be putting out signals you don't intend to.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

moths posted:

Thanks! I'm also going to be decorating with dead Ultramarines - Betrayer was a hell of a book!

I'm certain you weren't consciously going for a nazi flag motif here, but you might want to reconsider "field of red, white inset, black symbol" before you finish the squad. You might be putting out signals you don't intend to.

I think this is a stretch.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mllaneza posted:

Look at it this way, painting the cockpit before assembly is standard practice when doing scale models of aircraft.

Funny you mention that; it’s actually in the manual that you should do that. Also for anyone who does model airplanes how do you do the cockpit correctly without getting it fogged up?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

No idea if this was just me being unlucky but the pilot and gunner arms might make cockpit window assembly a bit of a bastard. I had to do some filing to make it fit flush like it should do.
Then again it also happened with my first Valk as well so that might just be an assembly issue.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

moths posted:

It's Deathwatch, he'll be the only one of his Chapter. I wouldn't include more. The PoU are a successor Chapter of the Ultramarines and that's their emblem btw.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

What is your recipe for old scars? I have a badly made SM Scout that has an eye closer to a massive injury than an eye/ bionic, whatever it is supposed to be.

A small glazing of Wazdakka Red does the trick I find. Wait until it dries and build up the darkness of your scarring through layering until you're happy with the redness.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

I think this is a stretch.

It would be in a hobby that didn't have a well-documented nazi problem, yes.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

moths posted:

As was mentioned earlier, the Patriarchs of Ulixis are an official GW chapter and the mini posted uses their published colour scheme for their shoulders. It looks like they've been around since 3rd edition and their chapter is noted for frequently being in Deathwatch so I think it's a bit of a stretch to immediately jump to 'Nazis' when it's probably one of the more lore appropriate chapters to see modelled as Deathwatch.

Doctor Goon
Nov 15, 2013

AndyElusive posted:

A small glazing of Wazdakka Red does the trick I find. Wait until it dries and build up the darkness of your scarring through layering until you're happy with the redness.

Speaking of recipes, how do you do your Martian bases and the weathering on the minis? It looks really nice.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Taking a bit of a break from Malifaux figures for a couple of weeks, decided to paint my first GW figures in years, picked up some Warhammer Underworlds stuff. What can I say, I like painting small warbands.

Celestus Champions

Drepurs Wraithcreepers

Garreks Reavers (faffed around with some weathering powder here on the feet and bases)

Steelhearts Liberators (faffed around with some oil washes on the armour here. Probably should have gone back in and highlighted up Steelhearts face, but I kind of like the drawn and grubby look he has now)

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

moths posted:

Fair enough

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Doctor Goon posted:

Speaking of recipes, how do you do your Martian bases and the weathering on the minis? It looks really nice.

Pigment powder does a lot of the heavy lifting. I use an old brush with fluffy bristles and get pretty liberal with my application and then I kind of reverse dry brush it off a little bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Mercurius posted:

As was mentioned earlier, the Patriarchs of Ulixis are an official GW chapter and the mini posted uses their published colour scheme for their shoulders. It looks like they've been around since 3rd edition and their chapter is noted for frequently being in Deathwatch so I think it's a bit of a stretch to immediately jump to 'Nazis' when it's probably one of the more lore appropriate chapters to see modelled as Deathwatch.

Am I not online enough to see what the issue is?

That’s a skull with the ultramarines icon to me.