Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also for the brandied cherries I'd guess you want these: https://www.luxardo.it/liqueurs-and-distillates/original-maraschino-cherries/

I need to get a new jar meself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Maraschino cherries are different than brandied cherries (they’re soaked in maraschino instead of, uh, brandy). That said they are totally substitutable for each other, though.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Luxardo maraschino cherries are soaked in some kind of syrup that definitely isn't actual Maraschino (just made from the same kind of cherries I think) but it's not quite as radioactive as the bright red stuff you've seen in ice cream parlors either. Still pretty sweet though, so probably not what OP was looking for.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

It says “marasca syrup” on the jar.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Luxardo cherries are Marasca cherries that are preserved in a syrup made from Marasca cherries.

Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur is made from a distillate thats essential grappa, but made from Marasca cherries as opposed to grapes.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I prefer Toschi amarena cherries for cocktails myself. They are also way more affordable, like 20 bucks for a 1 pound container

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I prefer Toschi amarena cherries for cocktails myself. They are also way more affordable, like 20 bucks for a 1 pound container

Me too, or the Fabbri brand amarena (which are in nearly identical packaging as the Toschi except blue and white instead of red and white).

Out of curiosity I just tried a Fabbri and a Luxardo side by side. The amarena are a bit smaller and the flavor is more “wild cherry” and more concentrated with the sour coming at the end; the Luxardo are plumper and brighter with the acidity up front. The Luxardo were also a bit firmer but I think that’s just because they were colder. I’ll stick with the amarena for Manhattans but for something called a Sour Cherry Negroni I might go with the maraschino.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I just discovered (when I bought a jar) that Fabbri makes strawberries too! Like perfect strawberry jam in your drink.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I just discovered (when I bought a jar) that Fabbri makes strawberries too! Like perfect strawberry jam in your drink.

That would be lovely maybe use that to make a good version of a strawberry daquri

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Nothing super innovative, but I’m happy with a mezcal negroni variant I made tonight. Equal parts Ilegal reposado, Montenegro, and Lustau East India Solera, built in a double rocks over a large cube, with grapefruit twist. Could probably back off on the sherry a bit next time to more like 1.5:1.5:1, but nice flavor combo.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I got some of the Luxardo maraschino cherries and whilst they're absolutely delicious, they're not what I was after - these have the same texture as all of the other ones I've tried. I'll check out the other ones mentioned. Edit: good lord. Also delicious. I'm finding myself just having a couple every now and then when I walk past.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 18, 2022

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I picked up some Cock Russell's Boodles, the gin with the worst time of all time, based on the review from theginisin.com and it is actually pretty good!

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Ah, my 10 oz. bottle of Peychaud's has arrived.

I'd love to hear what you make with it. By far my favourite type of bitters at the moment.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

According to the Internet its national margarita day today. What's yalls favorite marg variations?

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Gonna have a full wet bar in the lower floor of the new home I just bought, pretty exciting stuff. It pretty much has everything you would need, sink, cabinetry, largish mini fridge with a freezer compartment, even a dish washer. Except automatically made ice. That is going on in the fridge upstairs. I use huge cubes for everything, even highballs. But I want "regular" ice for shaking and stirring. How can I make my setup totally self contained I wonder?

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
I never use recipes for margarita variations, really, but it's always fun to throw something else in the shaker (cucumber chunks, jalapeño chunks, your spent lime halves, orange slices, grapefruit slices, ginger chunks, etc.) and/or to play around with the liqueur (Benedictine is nicer than you expect). It's also fun to garnish with a fresh version of whatever you put in the shaker, and maybe some tajin/chipotle power/ancho powder half-rim (I haven't played with chamoy but that might be cool).

It's kind of a perfect drink in that I don't think any variations are really better than the standard, but when you're bored with the standard it's pretty easy to tweak with whatever you have lying around.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Mezcal Tommy's are the best poo poo

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Comb Your Beard posted:

Gonna have a full wet bar in the lower floor of the new home I just bought, pretty exciting stuff. It pretty much has everything you would need, sink, cabinetry, largish mini fridge with a freezer compartment, even a dish washer. Except automatically made ice. That is going on in the fridge upstairs. I use huge cubes for everything, even highballs. But I want "regular" ice for shaking and stirring. How can I make my setup totally self contained I wonder?

They make counter top automatic ice makers. Alternatively, if there's a place down there (unfinished section maybe?) you can put in a chest freezer to make ice. If you buy a bigger chest freezer you can also check out the CostCo thread.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Scythe posted:

It's kind of a perfect drink in that I don't think any variations are really better than the standard, but when you're bored with the standard it's pretty easy to tweak with whatever you have lying around.
Agreed I was just wanting to mess around with the basic flavors not trying to find a Better one

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
NGL, I don't mess with margaritas too much besides putting grenadine in there sometimes. Sometimes there's grapefruit or pineapple, if I have some lying around.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

My two faves are a splash of pickled jalapeno juice, or some grilled pineapple

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
I like putting in some coconut milk.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Comb Your Beard posted:

I’m in the exact same situation, bought a house a couple years ago with a huge basement bar with the exact same set up as you minus the dishwasher. It cracks me up that people are always blown away by my large selection of bottles and I’m like man that’s the easiest part of keeping this bar. Fresh produce and syrups is 10x more work and ice is 10x more work than that.

What I’ve come up with gets me by week to week with nightly drinks for me and the wife and then 6-7 people over once or twice a week. I only have to buy ice if I’m having parties or 10+ people over. That said my friends are pretty heavy drinkers and there isn’t a single day that goes by that I don’t have to do some kind of ice management work.

Shake ice - I ran a line from my RO to the upstairs fridge and use that ice maker for most of my shake/stir/dilution purposes. It’s ugly and full of air, but very pure water and is neutral in flavor. When it’s full I fill gallon freezer bags and keep one in the mini fridge freezer for immediate use and another in the basement beer fridge as a backup. I keep these in a FIFO rotation and never let that ice maker stop making ice.

Serving ice - Handmade in one of those insulated base things. I make a batch daily of either size that it has molds of, and keep a gallon bag in the freezer of the mini bar for immediate use. When that’s full I vac seal the extra and keep it frozen for future parties where I’ll need a ton of it.

Specialty ice - I like to buy the bags of clear poo poo at the gas station or pharmacy for crushing, it’s gorgeous and crushed ice drinks make short work of your shake ice supply. Also Chic fil a sells nugget ice for $1.50 so I’ll get that if I have a large batches cocktail where that ice would be appropriate. We also have a local clinebell ice company that services bars in the area if I ever got desperate for serving ice.

I briefly looking into those 5-gal jug coolers that have an ice machine in them but never justified the cost and my system is working. I’m not willing to give up the cabinet space for an ice machine but if I were you I’d ditch the dishwasher and put one there. Not much bar glassware should go in those anyway and I’m always washing my tools as I go because I’m going to need them again in a moment. The only bar stuff I ever dishwashing is mats and fine strainers and I can carry those upstairs every now and then for a deep clean.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Jalapeño-inflused tequila with a Tajin rim

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I'll admit I don't understand the Tommy's marg love. Everytime I have one I miss the orange liquor.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Carillon posted:

I'll admit I don't understand the Tommy's marg love. Everytime I have one I miss the orange liquor.

Its because a lot of margaritas sold in bars vastly overdo the Orange liquor or use awful cheap triple sec, if you order a Tommy's its atleast going to taste like tequila and lime.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I agree tho that a tommy's margarita just isn't as good as a marg made with cointreau

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Fart Car '97 posted:

I agree tho that a tommy's margarita just isn't as good as a marg made with cointreau

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I like my margaritas with orgeat and a dash of bitters. Sometimes I use lemons instead of limes (when my lemon tree is producing). I also basically exclusively use Gran Marnier for the orange.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

tonedef131 posted:

I’m in the exact same situation, bought a house a couple years ago with a huge basement bar with the exact same set up as you minus the dishwasher. It cracks me up that people are always blown away by my large selection of bottles and I’m like man that’s the easiest part of keeping this bar. Fresh produce and syrups is 10x more work and ice is 10x more work than that.

This is great stuff thanks. What is the RO acronym mean? Long term I would love to entertain with this space, right now there's still lingering covid and more of my friends live in the city (DC), this is more suburban than the townhome we sold. Gotta make some new friends. Only last bit of gear I would love is a tiny wine fridge to keep whites and roses at a medium chill. Gotta experiment with what I have.

Recently I played with passionfruit I actually loved it with agave spirits even more than rum.

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Feb 23, 2022

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I bought a cute little cart from Ikea and decided ok, time for a bar cart. I’m sloooowly working my way to a decently stocked cart, but I have this adorable pineapple shaped shaker that when cold, contracts so much that I cannot get it open, even under hot water. It works really well but so help me, that fucker won’t open after maybe two coldish drinks. I’m wondering if there something I can either repurpose it for, or figure out how to get it to consistently open without my partner swearing.

I’m not keen on tossing it, even if I’ve now shifted to a regular degular shakers.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This is a common problem with the cobbler shaker style, the one where it's two metal halves that neatly go together and you pull off the top cap to strain the drink through. Shaking a drink with ice actually cools it below the water freezing point, as Dave Arnold tested and describes in his book Liquid Intelligence. This, along with residue buildup in a shaker that you don't detail clean and just wash in the sink, will cause the metal to lock up. I had a cheap cobbler shaker lock up so tight that the cap wouldn't come off at all and I had to use it with a Hawthorn strainer. This is what drove me to give up on them and use Boston shakers that you can slap apart. And also take some classes with my regular bartenders to learn how to use them properly.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

This is a common problem with the cobbler shaker style, the one where it's two metal halves that neatly go together and you pull off the top cap to strain the drink through. Shaking a drink with ice actually cools it below the water freezing point, as Dave Arnold tested and describes in his book Liquid Intelligence. This, along with residue buildup in a shaker that you don't detail clean and just wash in the sink, will cause the metal to lock up. I had a cheap cobbler shaker lock up so tight that the cap wouldn't come off at all and I had to use it with a Hawthorn strainer. This is what drove me to give up on them and use Boston shakers that you can slap apart. And also take some classes with my regular bartenders to learn how to use them properly.

I did not know that about it cooling liquid below the freezing point! That makes sense!

My other cobbler is fine with ice, or at least has yet to give me serious issue. I think I might divvy it up ice/no ice and consider getting a Boston shaker should I notice Good Cobbler getting weird with ice.

Anyhow, time to plot a Systemet run around my weekend drinks. Hopefully can conjure up something to use my newly made ginger, blueberry and lemon syrups and not stick with “what if X drink but with Y”. This broad needs to broaden juuuust a bit.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Comb Your Beard posted:

This is great stuff thanks. What is the RO acronym mean? Long term I would love to entertain with this space, right now there's still lingering covid and more of my friends live in the city (DC), this is more suburban than the townhome we sold. Gotta make some new friends. Only last bit of gear I would love is a tiny wine fridge to keep whites and roses at a medium chill. Gotta experiment with what I have.

Recently I played with passionfruit I actually loved it with agave spirits even more than rum.
Reverse Osmosis, it's an under sink water purification system. For most municipal water sources you're probably fine with just carbon filtration, which most refrigerators have. I live in the woods kinda outside of the city though, so I have a well that I run through a softener and it makes really disgusting ice and drinking water. And yeah, passion fruit margaritas are not only my favorite use for passion fruit, but they're also my favorite riff on the marg.

teen witch posted:

I bought a cute little cart from Ikea and decided ok, time for a bar cart. I’m sloooowly working my way to a decently stocked cart, but I have this adorable pineapple shaped shaker that when cold, contracts so much that I cannot get it open, even under hot water. It works really well but so help me, that fucker won’t open after maybe two coldish drinks. I’m wondering if there something I can either repurpose it for, or figure out how to get it to consistently open without my partner swearing.

I’m not keen on tossing it, even if I’ve now shifted to a regular degular shakers.
Buy some weighted tins for actually making drinks and retire the decorative shaker into a straw/garnish stick/stirrer holder.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

We opened our cobbler shakers by slamming them as hard as we could on the side of our dump sink

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cobblers are suitable as Bartender's First Shaker but have a lot of flaws, namely how easily they jam and having less precise control with straining. A Boston Shaker with separate strainers is harder to learn to use but can be a lot faster and simpler once you've learned how to close and open them correctly and give you options with Hawthorn, Julep, and fine mesh strainers to better control the amount of ice and solids ending up in the glass.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Yeah but Uyeda-san looks really cool though.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The thing I miss most from the bar I miss working at most was the set of mini-boston shakers they had built from the bottoms of two cobbler shakers and the small tins from two boston shakers.

The cobbler parts were from some long dead company, so they were irreplaceable, but they were an absolute joy to use.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

This bar by me just opened up and has an amazing cocktail list. Right now I think my favorite of theirs is called the Grey Matter. It's listed as:

Rye
Banane
Campari
Vermouth Blend
Bitters

They are still getting their feet under them so not every cocktail has been consistent, but when they nail it they nail it. I'm not sure the proportions, but it doesn't drink like a full on negroni, the banana flavor is there, but subtle. It's one of those drinks that is transcendent and makes you realize why mixing drinks is a fine art and not just slapping liquor and mixers together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
What is vermouth blend? What kind of vermouth? I assume sweet but what’s the blend I wonder?