Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Breathalyzers routinely get fooled by windshield washer fluid in the air.

Sensing ambient alcohol vapor is never going to work reliably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
lol at anyone who thinks it's being designed to work as stated rather than just being a 21st century replacement for cops being able to say they smelled marijuana as an excuse for literally everything

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Everything is so god damned crazy all the time

Tiggum posted:

So if four drunk passengers and one sober driver get into a car to go home, they can't?

Just deranged.

someusername
Jan 26, 2015

Zvahl posted:

lol at anyone who thinks it's being designed to work as stated rather than just being a 21st century replacement for cops being able to say they smelled marijuana as an excuse for literally everything

poo poo. Yup, they're raging over not having easy probable cause for searches now in NY.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Zvahl posted:

100% "well this Bluetooth gizmo is communicating with your car and it says your Alcohol sensor is going off so I'm gonna need you to step out of the vehicle"

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Whatever makes driving harder and more expensive is a step in the right direction

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Colonel Cancer posted:

Whatever makes driving harder and more expensive is a step in the right direction

I agree, but I have the luxury of never leaving the house if I don't feel like it. For people who have to commute to lovely jobs and haul around their family every day this sucks. It's not like mass transit is suddenly going to become a priority most places.

We should just ban private cars & trucks and spend real money on transportation infra that doesn't require every single adult to have their own car to survive, but change is impossible as politicians keep telling us.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Spatial posted:

Are typical EVs heavier than equivalent fueled vehicles? Would be pretty bad for roads in the long term since the damage done over time goes up extremely quickly with vehicle weight.

That hummer has 50% of the weight per wheel as a fully loaded 18 wheeler truck, to carry one single person. lol

Yes. Batteries are heavier than gasoline, and don't get lighter when you use them.
(I also don't know if you weigh the car with gas in it when determining its weight)

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

HootTheOwl posted:

Yes. Batteries are heavier than gasoline, and don't get lighter when you use them.
(I also don't know if you weigh the car with gas in it when determining its weight)

Unless specified as "dry weight" you count a full tank of fuel.

A full tank in an average car is around 100lbs. A four cylinder engine might weight 400lbs. A tesla battery is about 1000lbs.

CRUSTY MINGE has issued a correction as of 15:32 on Feb 23, 2022

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Tankbuster posted:

I thought the f22 was the good one.

Especially above 69000 feet.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I think the F-35 is pretty good, I heard it's amphibious, even! A real multirole fighter jet.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
The other day YouTube decided I wanted to see videos about the f35 and it recommended me a bunch of videos from multiple different channels that all had the same specific phrasing in the title like "F35 The military's MOST INSANE fighter!" which definitely didn't feel like some sort of weird propaganda

Edit:

Dog Case has issued a correction as of 16:21 on Feb 23, 2022

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Lockmart: Please Clap

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Dog Case posted:

The other day YouTube decided I wanted to see videos about the f35 and it recommended me a bunch of videos from multiple different channels that all had the same specific phrasing in the title like "F35 The military's MOST INSANE fighter!" which definitely didn't feel like some sort of weird propaganda

Edit:

The Russians used an antipsychotic

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Dog Case posted:

Edit:

It's insanely good at crashing OP.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also hey wait that second screenshot isn't even an F-35 it's an F/A-18

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

30.5 Days posted:

Wait, what? Is this poo poo they show to management or does this union buster actually come in and say "the two thirds of you who signed union cards are lazy whiners" as their master plan to win the election?
For management, I'm sure. But the fact that they showed this to the NLRB is mind-blowing.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Dog Case posted:

Edit:

cool the harrier could hover in place and take off vertically in the 1980s

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Birds have been hovering for millions of years anyway and look what it got them.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

quote:

Currently, some convicted drunken drivers must use breathalyzer devices attached to an ignition interlock, blowing into a tube and disabling the vehicle if their blood alcohol level is too high. The legislation doesn’t specify the technology, only that it must “passively monitor the performance of a driver of a motor vehicle to accurately identify whether that driver may be impaired.”

Sam Abuelsamid, principal mobility analyst for Guidehouse Insights, said the most likely system to prevent drunken driving is infrared cameras that monitor driver behavior. That technology is already being installed by automakers such as General Motors, BMW and Nissan to track driver attentiveness while using partially automated driver-assist systems.

The cameras make sure a driver is watching the road, and they look for signs of drowsiness, loss of consciousness or impairment.

If signs are spotted, the cars will warn the driver, and if the behavior persists, the car would turn on its hazard lights, slow down and pull to the side of the road.

Abuelsamid said breathalyzers aren’t a practical solution because many people would object to being forced to blow into a tube every time they get into the car. “I don’t think it’s going to go over very well with a lot of people,” he said.

People would object to a straw in the dash so instead we're going to point 5 cameras at them which will be watching and scrutinizing their every move from the moment they enter the car

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

i am harry posted:

People would object to a straw in the dash so instead we're going to point 5 cameras at them which will be watching and scrutinizing their every move from the moment they enter the car

what could go wrong with a drowsiness detecting camera

e: let's go with a non-photoshopped image

Dustcat has issued a correction as of 17:19 on Feb 23, 2022

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

i am harry posted:

There are a number of overall unlikely but real cases when there might be a need to operate a car drunk, especially in the rural west during fire season when that poo poo can whip up out of nowhere and you need to gtfo right now and might be way out of the way from anyone else

Maybe it’s a small enough cohort that might be at risk that it doesn’t matter, but also I think about the 2020 fires we had in Oregon every time this comes up

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

HashtagGirlboss posted:

There are a number of overall unlikely but real cases when there might be a need to operate a car drunk, especially in the rural west during fire season when that poo poo can whip up out of nowhere and you need to gtfo right now and might be way out of the way from anyone else

Maybe it’s a small enough cohort that might be at risk that it doesn’t matter, but also I think about the 2020 fires we had in Oregon every time this comes up

Or if you need to, like, get to work or something

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

Lmao yeah that too

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

*the sound of keys jingling hurriedly. soft crackling can be heard in the background.*
<click>
<BEEP BEEP BEEP>
<BEEP BEEP BEEP>
<PLEASE HOLD STILL FOR SOBRIETY VERIFICATION>
*the crackling grows louder*
<SMILE!>
*crackle*
<BEEP BEEP BEEP>
<BEEP BEEP BEEP>
<SOBRIETY VERIFICATION FAILED>
*click click click*
<BEEP BEEP BEEP>
<PLEASE WAIT.>
<BEEP BEEP BEEP>
*the crackling is now very loud and also there is a low roar like the sound of wind, growing in intensity*
<SMILE!>

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

i am harry posted:

*the sound of keys jingling hurriedly. soft crackling can be heard in the background.*
<click>
<BEEP BEEP BEEP>
<BEEP BEEP BEEP>
*the crackling grows louder*
<SMILE!>
*crackle*
<BEEP BEEP BEEP>
<BEEP BEEP BEEP>
<SOBRIETY VERIFICATION FAILED>
*click click click*
<BEEP BEEP BEEP>
<PLEASE WAIT.>
<BEEP BEEP BEEP>
*the crackling is now very loud and also there is a low roar like the sound of wind, growing in intensity*
<SMILE!>

"Attention Nissan Driver: Driving Under the Influence of Alcohol is an unsafe practice and a violation of State Law. A Deputized Nissan Safety Officer has been dispatched to your location. Failure to remain in your current location will be considered an evasion of arrest and additional penalty will be applied upon arrest. Thank you for choosing Nissan."

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

"Attention Nissan Driver: Driving Under the Influence of Alcohol is an unsafe practice and a violation of State Law. A Deputized Nissan Safety Officer has been dispatched to your location. Failure to remain in your current location will be considered an evasion of arrest and additional penalty will be applied upon arrest. Thank you for choosing Nissan."

"We have locked the doors for the Officer's safety"

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

quote:

Asian man alleges he was locked inside his car and held prisoner within for hours after Tesla’s SoberVer driving software failed to recognize his smile.

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

PostNouveau posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GckYJ7vhtv8

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Zvahl posted:

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Unless specified as "dry weight" you count a full tank of fuel.

A full tank in an average car is around 100lbs. A four cylinder engine might weight 400lbs. A tesla battery is about 1000lbs.

And this is 1000lbs of rare earth, lithium, heavy metals and a shitload of other rare materials that are expensive to produce, require a lot of energy to refine, use child labor and warmongering to mine, who's two favorite things are leaking and exploding.

They currently "recycle" ev batteries by either setting them on fire to melt the plastic or by dunking them in acid.

But I'm sure EVs will save us from climate change - clowns
https://www.science.org/content/article/millions-electric-cars-are-coming-what-happens-all-dead-batteries

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Hey now

I'm sure it's also going to be a good grift for car companies and tech-marketers who want to sell the data

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
as opposed to gas, which has never had warmongering associated with it and never explodes

just wait till sane car manufacturers do evs then get one of those, lol

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty funny conflict materials (that can even be substituted or produced locally) are only an issue with EVs, but no one cares about them in catalytic converters. Weird!

bob dobbs is dead posted:

as opposed to gas, which has never had warmongering associated with it and never explodes

just wait till sane car manufacturers do evs then get one of those, lol

Pretty much all of them do, but they might not be available in the US.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Fame Douglas posted:

Pretty funny conflict materials (that can even be substituted or produced locally) are only an issue with EVs, but no one cares about them in catalytic converters. Weird!

Pretty much all of them do, but they might not be available in the US.

You absolutely can't substitute out unethically sourced materials and every company that has ever tried to design a modern electronics product without them has admitted defeat

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Both of you seem to think that I do not hate cars. Allow me to assure you, this is false. Sincerely yours, trainsbeatall opposition

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
What is the over and under on the European theatre having a effect on prices rising in America or as a excuse for rising prices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

aperfectcirclefan posted:

What is the over and under on the European theatre having a effect on prices rising in America or as a excuse for rising prices

A 1000% certain.