Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Blockhouse posted:

Heisenberg is the weirdest performance I've seen in a video game and god bless him for it

The man just wants to build things, like a lot of things.

Lady D inherits a castle and makes a couple fly daughters while Big H created an entire underground clockwork empire, we know who is putting in the most effort in this cult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
And yet after all that, Miranda didn't give him the XBox that had Uno on it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Manager Hoyden posted:

Silent Hill 2 was a good game but I wish it was never made

"The monster is abuse/depression... or YOU!"

gently caress you, any game that tries to pull that lame poo poo

Why?

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

its a lame cop out just like a twist that it was all a dream

it can be done well but most of the time it wont be

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I finally got around to Faith Chapter 2 and it's super good! Leaves me even more impatient for 3. I like how effectively it escalates everything from Chapter 1 without seeming like a retread.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Because it's tedious and uninteresting

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

0 rows returned posted:

Silent Hill 2 did it well.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Re8 had the same problem Re7 did for me. They have real good villains set up with a bit of a dynamic but then you just go around and kill them one by one without them having any further interactions. Such wasted potential.

Also Ethan is boring as hell and I cannot care about his Mia problems because picking Zoe was the correct choice but no, she's just disappeared now

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Zoe is my Calcified Waifu.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Play Omori

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

0 rows returned posted:

People should create the art they want and attempt to do something fresh with the idea, even if it does end up as predictable and disappointing. Most art is anyway. The Occurrence and Owl Creek bridge scenario is usually massively disappointing but eh, let people have a go.

Manager Hoyden posted:

Because it's tedious and uninteresting

To you or everyone?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Everyone

Can you think of anyone who starts up a game saying "oh boy I hope this is about depression" or "I'm rarin' to play a game with an abuse monster in it"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Also Ethan is boring as hell and I cannot care about his Mia problems because picking Zoe was the correct choice but no, she's just disappeared now

I'm so conflicted, because saving Zoe at the expense of Mia was obviously the correct choice but canonically saving Mia resulted in End of Zoe, the greatest dlc ever made

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Zoe is the best because the dlc about her is loving awesome, if you havent played it you need to correct that mistake.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm so conflicted, because saving Zoe at the expense of Mia was obviously the correct choice but canonically saving Mia resulted in End of Zoe, the greatest dlc ever made

DreadUnknown posted:

Zoe is the best because the dlc about her is loving awesome, if you havent played it you need to correct that mistake.

YOU REMEMBAH WHEN WE WAS KIDS, AN I BROKE YA NOSE?

Joe was too good.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
"The monster was you and this was all a metaphor for your dad beating you" is incredibly strongly worn out, mostly (for me) because it invalidates most of the experience so far. Oh, so I didn't have [cool space adventures / meet all these cool characters / Have A Silent Hill Homecoming], I'm just [guilty/depressed/in denial] over [mom/dad/kid], this was all some sort of [dying dream / fantasy / cash grab]? Great! gently caress me, I guess.

It worked in Silent Hill 2 and An Occurrence At Owl Creek because in Silent Hill, 2 it was all really happening, it's just this is a hosed up town that regurgitates your trauma at you and tries to make you at least accept it, and in Owl Creek, it was written in 1890. When it works, it recontextualizes the story in a really cool way. When it doesn't, it's a writer offering you a poo poo and saying it's steak. Also, it's a way to tie up loose ends of mystery without actually tying them up. Youre Are Crazy is the solution.

yes, i am mad about a certain ps5 exclusive.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Feb 23, 2022

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
It's one thing to write a metaphor, but to have the Big Reveal be an explanation of the metaphor is cack-handed and condescending.

Also, the story is already a work of fiction. It doesn't need to be fictional within itself unless that has a direct impact on its meaning.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Out of curiosity, how many folks here noticed that the mall level and its puzzles in SH3 (other than the books) were a metaphor for the rest of the game and previous entries?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Replaying Layers of Fear. Amazing that a team can put so much effort into a game that ultimately has no ideas or any personality at all.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Blockhouse posted:

Heisenberg is the weirdest performance I've seen in a video game and god bless him for it

The voice/mocap actor is channelling some serious Nic Cage energy, and as such he's one of the best things in the game. Honestly, all the lords turn in solid performances (except Beneviento, and that's largely because we barely get to deal with her directly). Lady D going from bemused to irritated to absolutely loving FURIOUS is good fun as well.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Bogart posted:

"The monster was you and this was all a metaphor for your dad beating you" is incredibly strongly worn out, mostly (for me) because it invalidates most of the experience so far. Oh, so I didn't have [cool space adventures / meet all these cool characters / Have A Silent Hill Homecoming], I'm just [guilty/depressed/in denial] over [mom/dad/kid], this was all some sort of [dying dream / fantasy / cash grab]? Great! gently caress me, I guess.

It worked in Silent Hill 2 and An Occurrence At Owl Creek because in Silent Hill, 2 it was all really happening, it's just this is a hosed up town that regurgitates your trauma at you and tries to make you at least accept it, and in Owl Creek, it was written in 1890. When it works, it recontextualizes the story in a really cool way. When it doesn't, it's a writer offering you a poo poo and saying it's steak. Also, it's a way to tie up loose ends of mystery without actually tying them up. Youre Are Crazy is the solution.

yes, i am mad about a certain ps5 exclusive.

What's this now?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Len posted:

What's this now?

they’re talking about fillerfillerfiller Returnal fillerfillerfiller

and yes I am powerfully irate at that game’s story as well, not in the least because the twist was completely unnecessary to how the game had been presented up to that point

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Len posted:

What's this now?

Ratchet & Clank got VERY weird

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

"Keith said there was leftover pizza in the fridge. Only you open the fridge to find no pizza, and realise Keith left years ago and this isn't even your apartment."

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Feb 23, 2022

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

they’re talking about fillerfillerfiller Returnal fillerfillerfiller

and yes I am powerfully irate at that game’s story as well, not in the least because the twist was completely unnecessary to how the game had been presented up to that point

Same. I was so ridiculously let down by this, everything up until that point was super interesting and I was left wondering what exactly the final plot drop would be and then..It's that.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

dogstile posted:

This is actually why I don't think I bothered with RE8.

I just can't take it seriously. Every time I see that character trying to be threatening I just remember the legions of people shouting "step on me mommy" and I just can't be scared.

This'll always make me laugh

https://twitter.com/iostiegacy/status/1349796340251942912?lang=en

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Manager Hoyden posted:

Everyone

Can you think of anyone who starts up a game saying "oh boy I hope this is about depression" or "I'm rarin' to play a game with an abuse monster in it"

I find it really tedious too, but I dunno if Silent Hill 2 not existing would have stopped hacks from being hacks. They'd just copy paste something else.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Yeah mental illness and abuse monsters are played out a bit but also there isn't an overwhelming list of things that you can make horror games with a solid theme out of. It's that or going into the "capitalism bad" party.

It's a side effect of people not wanting to just make monsters that are "this monster wants to chop your head off because he's CrAzY omg". There isn't anything innately wrong with just having monsters that are a cardboard cut out with a rotating sawblade attached but that also is a bit too early 90s

The games that get around that are usually short mood pieces. Like that Convenience Store game that is just you doing convenience store worker stuff while generally spooky stuff happens around you.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 23, 2022

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I think we should go back to games just being about messed up cults rituals loving things up.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

I think we should go back to games just being about messed up cults rituals loving things up.

I agree wholeheartedly, though I guess I'm in the extreme minority as someone who thought the weird gnostic cult trying to bring about hell on earth was the most interesting part of Silent Hill games, even if those characters weren't always written very well.

Honestly I'm kind of over horror games that try very hard to have a point or a deep metaphor or say something profound about the human condition because so few actually manage it without being totally hamfisted. The horror I've enjoyed the most lately is stuff like yeah, Convenience Store or the other Chilla's Art games that are more weird and atmospheric, or Puppet Combo games where they lean hard into horror tropes but execute them with some style and humor. Sometimes horror just needs to be fun and scary. I would have enjoyed Visage about 1000% more if it was just a weird haunted house game and wasn't trying to tell me a very tired and overused story at the same time (though the controls didn't help either).

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

How about the monster/ghost is written as a monster/ghost

It doesn't have to be a metaphor for anything

It can just be a hosed up thing from interesting circumstances

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The only moden horror about mental illness I'd give props to is Devotion.

Go play Devotion.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
What about modern horror where the concepts are genuinely upsetting

you know instead of a metaphor about depression it spooks you and then gives you depression, eh

I liked Soma is what I'm saying

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Manager Hoyden posted:

How about the monster/ghost is written as a monster/ghost

It doesn't have to be a metaphor for anything

It can just be a hosed up thing from interesting circumstances

everything is a metaphor for something, horror by definition is based on socio-cultural neuroses

and like most genres (probably even more so) every good idea drags a thousand artless imitators in its wake

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Oxxidation posted:

and like most genres (probably even more so) every good idea drags a thousand Bloober Teams in its wake

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Oxxidation posted:

everything is a metaphor for something

absolutely not.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Do people actually think that?

That anyone writing a horror scene has to be describing we live in a society?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Manager Hoyden posted:

Do people actually think that?

That anyone writing a horror scene has to be describing we live in a society?

it doesn’t have to be done consciously. horror is scary because it taps into pre-existing fears, many of which are based in societal circumstances. that’s how writing works. it’s how art works. ideas don’t just emerge ex nihilo

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Well I think that all horror is based on some kind of animal

It doesn't have to be conscious

The lady in PT was actually a metaphor for a small horse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Stephen King crawled too far up his own metaverse that we lost a great writer who had a diverse portfolio ranging from "crazy fan who loves the artist's work so much she'll threaten to murder the artist" to "haunted car wooooahhh"