Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

i’m getting the impression that people think “Conventional War” means “Bomb the Iraqi Army unopposed for weeks, then shoot them up at night when they don’t have NV/TI, and their rounds can’t penetrate armour”

and not

“entire brigade is hit by MRLS because we’re addicted to GPS/Radios and everybody had their cell phones with them, vehicles weren’t camouflaged or dispersed, nobody had dug trenches, so now carry casualties to an aid station by stretcher under fire because no way in hell helicopters can fly”

:thunk:

I mean, to be fair, US doctrine basically has zero room for any ground operation that doesn't enjoy near-uncontested air superiority. In a conventional war, it is basically assumed that every major land-based weapon system on the opposing side, and the entire opposing air force, is destroyed by an air campaign before any brigade is in range of anything.

This is arguably stupid for a lot of reasons, but otoh, the idea that SAM installations can credibly prevent that kind of air superiority is also dumb.

Anyway there is not going to be anything approaching a "conventional war" between peer or near-peer developed nations since the entire concept is basically illusory at this point. The sheer amount of expensive and laborious-to-manufacture equipment that would be destroyed is staggering, and no economy on earth is remotely capable of replenishing it on timescales relevant to a war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

spacemang_spliff posted:

yeah

he was recently played by Johnny Depp and he for some reason had a dead bird on his head

actually the role was ironic because johnny depps indian is the only crazy one all the other indians are just normal people

theyre also idiots who die by charging machine guns for no reason but hey no ones perfect

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Good thing Russia has the world's largest reserve of gold or the rouble getting trounced would be a problem!

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Some Guy TT posted:

actually the role was ironic because johnny depps indian is the only crazy one all the other indians are just normal people

theyre also idiots who die by charging machine guns for no reason but hey no ones perfect

I never actually saw it I just remember the advertisements for it and loling htat disney was actually going to put that out and no one was like "maybe we should make the character less cartoonishly racist"

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Confirmed: Putin will star in the next Pirates of the Carribean: The Golden Wheat of the Ukraine!

Walt Disney's Cossacks
directed by Gore Verbinski

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

protip for the lone ranger movie just watch the final train scene its crazy genndy tartavosky looney tunes bullshit at its finest with an actual budget backing it up

absolutely nothing in the story leading up to that point is at all relevant or useful for enjoying the scene since you can probably guess that the lone ranger and tonto are the heroes and their relationships with other characters are obvious immediately whenever they run into each other

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Atrocious Joe posted:

Walt Disney's Cossacks
directed by Gore Verbinski

taking a moment to appreciate that thanks to the kings man don bluth no longer has the shame of making the worlds most tasteless movie about rasputin

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

taking a moment to appreciate that thanks to the kings man don bluth no longer has the shame of making the worlds most tasteless movie about rasputin

lmao indeed. At least that one had Christopher Lloyd doing his voice.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Don Bluth gave Rasputin an incredible theme song what are you guys talking about?!?!

https://youtu.be/C_k6hAVmn8Q

this rules!!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

gradenko_2000 posted:

lol Frosted Flake there's that thing again where the UK still thinks it's an empire

lol right?!

Let me just thumb through the glories of the Regimental History and let that guide foreign policy. Jesus.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Majorian posted:

lmao indeed. At least that one had Christopher Lloyd doing his voice.

I remember enjoying that movie as a child and absolutely hated it when I watched it as an adult, although I won't deny liking Christopher Lloyd as weird undead Rasputin because I unironically love Christopher Lloyd in anything.

lol Jim Cummings did the singing voice for Rasputin. I listened to the song and I was like "Why the gently caress did Rasputin turn into Pete?"

SchrodingersCat has issued a correction as of 18:22 on Feb 23, 2022

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

Pedophiles getting whitewashed by Hollywood!?

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

https://twitter.com/netblocks/status/1496498930925940738

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

SchrodingersCat posted:

lol Jim Cummings did the singing voice for Rasputin. I listened to the song and I was like "Why the gently caress did Rasputin turn into Pete?"

lol right? Fun fact: during the voice recording for "Lion King," Jeremy Irons blew his voice out, so Jim Cummings sang part of "Be Prepared" instead, which is why Scar suddenly sounds different in the last verse.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Jim Cummings is an incredible voice actor

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Yeah dude's a legend.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
Tankies, conservatives, and neolibs alike can unite in their love for ubiquitous voice actors.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Say what you will about Disney films, they've got some real bangers

https://youtu.be/g00kEcGh4j8

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
jim cummings is a fraud

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Dolphin posted:

jim cummings is a fraud

cum jimmings

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

lol Frosted Flake there's that thing again where the UK still thinks it's an empire

How will they fix their manpower issues without throwing large number of semi starving indians into the mix?

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Zeroisanumber posted:

oh hell yeah

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

camoseven posted:

cum jimmings

Jizz Cummings.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Sad thing is posts about cum and Disney tunes are more productive than whatever Biden's doing.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Zeroisanumber posted:

this gave my daughter nightmares for weeks

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Sorry, not up on my esoteric racism. WTF is tonto? All google is showing is a slur for native americans. Is he saying that Putin has gone native?

He means savage, because to him native people are savage.

Isn't it funny?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

not satisfied with killing themselves from both brexit and their diet the U.K. wants to kill all of us along with them

https://twitter.com/IlvesToomas/sta...ingawful.com%2F

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

If the Yugoslav wars are anything to go by, if humanity is still here in 30 years time there'll be some great memery to be had on this.

"Heh, lookit that fuckin' OMON dude with the accordion. He may be banging out the tunes but you can see he's always scanning the steppe for Pechenegs"
"LOL, watch in 1080p for the true gopnik experience"

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Al-Saqr posted:

not satisfied with killing themselves from both brexit and their diet the U.K. wants to kill all of us along with them

3 UK soldiers arrive at the Latvian-Russian border in a Land Rover and start throwing ZX Spectrums at the border post.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Ardennes posted:

The Scot Guards are literally down to a single mechanized infantry battalion. I think they may need to bring some back up.

The British military is a shell, but the political fights, especially behind closed doors, over what Regiments get amalgamated, deactivated and where they land on the Order of Prescience are hilarious. There are some Regiments perpetuated by a single Company or Platoon. Which is of course noble, I support Regimental identities, but you have 30-400 guys with a “Regimental Mafia” of dozens of Lords, MPs, Policymakers and journalists.

The Old Boys Club is still huge and influential, because as an alumni group it’s always going to be large, but it’s that it remained as large that makes its outsized effects hilarious. The Canadian Army has the same thing, where officers who served in The Big Battalions of the 70’s and 80’s are now influential old men, general officers and politicians, but the units they are lobbying on behalf of today are much smaller.

The Guards Regiments - our GGFG and GGHG, and the British Guards and Household Cavalry are also literally members of the aristocracy and Etonians, sit as Lords, so good luck curbing their influence.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Al-Saqr posted:

I just remembered the UK sailing a warship around the black sea last year. what the hell was up with that?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Tankbuster posted:

How will they fix their manpower issues without throwing large number of semi starving indians into the mix?

Well like I said, they stepped up Commonwealth Overseas Enlistment, but when I was doing it I discovered it pretty much only exists for semi starving Indians to enter the British Army and Royal Marines since they wanted me to do poo poo like fly there out of pocket and live in the UK on my own expense.

So, expect to see more of that.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Frosted Flake posted:

The British military is a shell, but the political fights, especially behind closed doors, over what Regiments get amalgamated, deactivated and where they land on the Order of Prescience are hilarious. There are some Regiments perpetuated by a single Company or Platoon. Which is of course noble, I support Regimental identities, but you have 30-400 guys with a “Regimental Mafia” of dozens of Lords, MPs, Policymakers and journalists.

The Old Boys Club is still huge and influential, because as an alumni group it’s always going to be large, but it’s that it remained as large that makes its outsized effects hilarious. The Canadian Army has the same thing, where officers who served in The Big Battalions of the 70’s and 80’s are now influential old men, general officers and politicians, but the units they are lobbying on behalf of today are much smaller.

The Guards Regiments - our GGFG and GGHG, and the British Guards and Household Cavalry are also literally members of the aristocracy and Etonians, sit as Lords, so good luck curbing their influence.

So you are saying some british lordlings are going to get mowed down by Russian mechanized columns when they try to do Light brigade mk 2.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

Whats funny about the british response in all of this is their gusto in throwing themselves head first into the situation. But ask them to do the same thing but with china and they'll meek out.

Same thing with australia and the chinese, its like their contracts specifically were cut with 1 of the 2 geopolitical adversaries in mind and not the other.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Again it doesn't really matter because the only other countries that can match the US army are nuclear armed and any war that breaks out that has direct fighting between them will either end in less than six hours or result in nuclear war.

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

I feel like the battles of Mogadishu and Fallujah are good examples of the U.S. military’s capabilities. any mission they are given they will gently caress up in myriad ways, and the only thing they are genuinely good at and can be trusted to do is kill a lot of unarmed civilians and make the situation much worse

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Subvisual Haze posted:

I just remembered the UK sailing a warship around the black sea last year. what the hell was up with that?

US Navy is falling apart from all the dumb "I am not touching you" poo poo they're doing in South China Sea, so the UK Navy has to pick up the slack.

pushpins
Sep 11, 2006

Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)

Grapplejack posted:

Again it doesn't really matter because the only other countries that can match the US army are nuclear armed and any war that breaks out that has direct fighting between them will either end in less than six hours or result in nuclear war.

Imagine the raytheon stock price during those six hours though

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

So has the full blown invasion begun yet? 7 days to kiev?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbus
May 18, 2004

QUEER FRASIER posted:

I feel like the battles of Mogadishu and Fallujah are good examples of the U.S. military’s capabilities. any mission they are given they will gently caress up in myriad ways, and the only thing they are genuinely good at and can be trusted to do is kill a lot of unarmed civilians and make the situation much worse

"loving up in myriad ways and killing a lot of unarmed civilians along the way" is basically what war is all about, OP