Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

what's the nationstate equivalent of the fencing response because you're gonna see america do it if they fight an actual military

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Cpt_Obvious posted:

lol, I went from a chad avatar to a chad avatar.

Why did you steal Gradenko's avatar? This is going to get very confusing.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
any new update in the last 500 posts

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Morbus posted:

I can think of a lot of reasons why an invasion would be an absolute horror show but long supply chains & unforgiving logistics aren't among them.

War is horrific OP. Most westerners have never experienced the sheer terror of it.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

indigi posted:

is this a sincere "ethics in games journalism" post

No. I must take this opportunity to express my support for jihad against games journalism.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

Sorry tankies, but the time has come to admit that Russia and NATO are BOTH poo poo and that Putin is also an imperialist warmonger. As an enlightened centrist, I must throw my support to the PRC, who has proven to be a stabilizing and fairhanded voice throughout this crisis.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Someone should shave off Crimea and the people's republics from the map of thee Ukraine bit by bit everytime a new avatar is bought.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Frosted Flake posted:

lol neither of those are examples of war against a peer, or even near peer. Iraq crippled by the Iran-Iraq War and then Iraq crippled by the Gulf War and Sanctions is not remotely close to a peer.

NATO’s own reports from exercises and wargames shows that conventional war skills are completely and totally eroded. American troops don’t even dig slit trenches when they halt anymore. Counterinsurgency has totally hollowed out their ability to fight and the presumption of superiority, if not invincibility, which you just demonstrated will have hilarious, if tragic, consequences.

They’ve been surpassed. Find me a US platoon commander that can work with radio and GPS jammed lol.
Well of course it's not peer to peer - the American military has no peer. The Gulf wars are the exact example of what I'm saying. The array of whatever conventional army is put in front of the US is obliterated in days while their tanks barely have to brake but what follows is years of grind where they end up coming up second best vs farmers with homemade explosives.

I'm not American nor am I in any way a fan of the US military machine but you have to be realistic.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

mila kunis posted:

Nope. There was a "nordstream2 cancelled" post, which turned out to be actually still nothing.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

lol “US logistics is second to none”

The US hadn’t had to push logistics through routes interdicted by artillery fire since Korea. US soldiers haven’t had to disperse and camouflage logistics since Korea. The US hasn’t had to evacuate casualties by stretcher and then ground ambulance since Korea. US soldiers have been in the operating room of world class hospitals an hour after being wounded since Vietnam. US ammunition consumption rates are on average something like x4 the Cold War estimates. US soldiers’ individual loads are more than they can march with, and rely on echelon vehicles to seamlessly bring up their packs after a brisk 15 minute firefight, where they’ll have fired off a day’s worth of ammunition by 1980 standards.

Jesus Christ. It’s easy to have the best logistics in the world if it’s assumed to operate totally unopposed.

Remember Jessica Lynch? While the Iraqi Army was crumbling, they were still able to ambush her supply unit, overrun it, and disrupt US supplies to Nasiriyah for hours -essentially by accident.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Nordstream 2 Cancel Culture

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Cpt_Obvious posted:

lol owns

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Flayer posted:

Well of course it's not peer to peer - the American military has no peer.

Yeah, nobody's had such a tremendous track record of losing to far inferior forces.

Lostconfused posted:

Why did you steal Gradenko's avatar? This is going to get very confusing.

I'm just gonna post multi-page long excerpts from Teen Vogue.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Frosted Flake posted:

lol “US logistics is second to none”

The US hadn’t had to push logistics through routes interdicted by artillery fire since Korea. US soldiers haven’t had to disperse and camouflage logistics since Korea. The US hasn’t had to evacuate casualties by stretcher and then ground ambulance since Korea. US soldiers have been in the operating room of world class hospitals an hour after being wounded since Vietnam. US ammunition consumption rates are on average something like x4 the Cold War estimates. US soldiers’ individual loads are more than they can march with, and rely on echelon vehicles to seamlessly bring up their packs after a brisk 15 minute firefight, where they’ll have fired off a day’s worth of ammunition by 1980 standards.

Jesus Christ. It’s easy to have the best logistics in the world if it’s assumed to operate totally unopposed.

Remember Jessica Lynch? While the Iraqi Army was crumbling, they were still able to ambush her supply unit, overrun it, and disrupt US supplies to Nasiriyah for hours -essentially by accident.

I also have a problem with giant loads tbh

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Morbus posted:

I keep hearing Russias sUpPlY cHaInS & logistics brought up and can someone please explain to me what the gently caress they are talking about? The north, east, and southern borders are all friendly territory for Russia, where they can & have been able to stage whatever supplies they want. At no point would any supply line be longer than ~450 miles, and usually they would be under 200 miles. In the initial stages of any actual invasion, many objectives would be within range of weapons in Russia or Belarus. Kyiv is only ~80 miles from the Belarussian border!

I can think of a lot of reasons why an invasion would be an absolute horror show but long supply chains & unforgiving logistics aren't among them.

no, it's not the Ukranian border, it's that those Ruskis just too shitfaced drunk all the time to be able to run trains from the Urals!

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

Sorry tankies, but the time has come to admit that Russia and NATO are BOTH poo poo and that Putin is also an imperialist warmonger. As an enlightened centrist, I must throw my support to the PRC, who has proven to be a stabilizing and fairhanded voice throughout this crisis.

Nice try lib.

Putin is actually Xi's double agent selling out his country to the perfidious Chinese

:xickos:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
extremely funny that there are enough "the Ukraine crisis will motivate Xi to take Taiwan" thunkpieces that there are two different graphics aiming for the same thing

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Iraqi Army had steel penetrators in their tank guns that literally could not penetrate US armour. It was not a testament to the invincibility of the JP8 guzzling Abrams.

This hubris is loving unreal. I have been on NATO conventional war exercises and I’d love to see the Western conventional forces you describe, because what I’ve seen is a military worn out by losing counterinsurgencies, that has simultaneously lost any conventional warfare skills or experiences. US troops literally don’t dig trenches lol, how is that going to play against the world’s most proficient user of artillery?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

The Iraqi Army had steel penetrators in their tank guns that literally could not penetrate US armour. It was not a testament to the invincibility of the JP8 guzzling Abrams.

This hubris is loving unreal. I have been on NATO conventional war exercises and I’d love to see the Western conventional forces you describe, because what I’ve seen is a military worn out by losing counterinsurgencies, that has simultaneously lost any conventional warfare skills or experiences. US troops literally don’t dig trenches lol, how is that going to play against the world’s most proficient user of artillery?

yeah, but did your NATO exercises have private ramirez who singlehandedly repelled a russian invasion by taking and holding a fighting position in a burger king

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

gradenko_2000 posted:

extremely funny that there are enough "the Ukraine crisis will motivate Xi to take Taiwan" thunkpieces that there are two different graphics aiming for the same thing

I can’t imagine this is shifting China’s thinking re: Taiwan at all, the situations are only extremely superficially comparable

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

gradenko_2000 posted:

Isn't Taiwan's separation from China mostly a generational thing? Like the older generation is mostly committed but the young are mostly wondering why they bother?

I honestly don't know much about Taiwan so I could be talking out of my rear end.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Don't worry, I'm sure the Czar will handily defeat those rascally Japanese!

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Zeroisanumber posted:

Isn't Taiwan's separation from China mostly a generational thing? Like the older generation is mostly committed but the young are mostly wondering why they bother?

I honestly don't know much about Taiwan so I could be talking out of my rear end.

every taiwanese person i've talked to about this sort of thing acts like independence is a pretty big deal to them. these are people in america though, so it might be a biased sample

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Don't worry, I'm sure the Czar will handily defeat those rascally Japanese!
The Germans promised to support him on this too.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Lostconfused posted:

That was loving hilarious. Nicholas was such a dolt.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Are people really gonna skip over that someone in this thread posted "the reason america lost all those wars is that the enemy just wasn't organised enough"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

indigi posted:

I can’t imagine this is shifting China’s thinking re: Taiwan at all, the situations are only extremely superficially comparable

yeah not only is the analogy really stupid because it's no deeper than "this is a place that the Big Baddie wants to conquer, so if Big Baddie One takes their prize, Big Baddie Two might take theirs!"...

... it's also really loving insulting even from the perspective of a RAH RAH USA NUMBER ONE maniac because it assumes that the US military isn't capable of taking on two powers at the same time

indeed, Ukraine and Taiwan are even tailor-made for such a challenge, because one is a land-ward conflict, and the other is a seaward conflict

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

Thank you for at least changing the color on the new avatars.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

i’m getting the impression that people think “Conventional War” means “Bomb the Iraqi Army unopposed for weeks, then shoot them up at night when they don’t have NV/TI, and their rounds can’t penetrate armour”

and not

“entire brigade is hit by MRLS because we’re addicted to GPS/Radios and everybody had their cell phones with them, vehicles weren’t camouflaged or dispersed, nobody had dug trenches, so now carry casualties to an aid station by stretcher under fire because no way in hell helicopters can fly”

:thunk:

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Bedshaped posted:

Are people really gonna skip over that someone in this thread posted "the reason america lost all those wars is that the enemy just wasn't organised enough"

it’s dumb. there i said it.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

indeed, Ukraine and Taiwan are even tailor-made for such a challenge, because one is a land-ward conflict, and the other is a seaward conflict

I'm writing the greatest wapo op-ed of all time rn

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Zeroisanumber posted:

Not really, older generations are "we should be unified and we should be the government and also, free unicorns" and younger generations are relatively split between normalized relations with a Chinese/Taiwanese dual identity and total Taiwanese separation. The younger generation is not hostile to China but has very little interest in being under the PRC's government, if that makes sense

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

spacemang_spliff posted:

I also have a problem with giant loads tbh

huh, you didn't inherit this from your mom.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

mila kunis posted:

Yeah, the president addressed the nation. We'll be bombing in five minutes.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zeroisanumber posted:

my understanding is that an explicit declaration of independence is largely out of the cards because Taiwan is well aware of the political turmoil it would trigger and would like to avoid that

at the same time, there's no real threat of the PRC invading Taiwan - the PRC has no reason to do so; any military conflict would simply damage the island and kill people for no real benefit, and they have to know that the long-run outcome of the economics is greater and greater integration (one might say dependence) until full reintegration becomes a fait acompli

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

no way in hell helicopters can fly

actually, helicopters are hellspawn which is the reason they fly

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

Zeroisanumber posted:

That was loving hilarious. Nicholas was such a dolt.

please don't be ableist *orders the imperial guard to shoot the angry mob outside my palace*

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The only problem with Taiwan is that you have to expect USA to do something incredibly stupid eventually.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lostconfused posted:

The only problem with Taiwan is that you have to expect USA to do something incredibly stupid eventually.

lmfao it's spreading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

lmfao it's spreading

lmfao