Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
1 word astronema

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I guess we were supposed to get that his time with the Tuskens changed him and now he uses his… crime skills for good as some kind of humanitarian double agent.
It doesn’t connect. I don’t know why, probably because there not enough “before” and he kinda takes to the Tusken poo poo immediately.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

McKilligan posted:

It's the curse of Disney wanting to have it both ways - A show about the leader of a criminal syndicate, but the protagonist cannot do anything particularly objectionable. So we have a criminal overlord who never uses assasination, threats, or violence except in self defense. Always shows mercy to people who were trying to kill him 5 minutes ago because executions would be just a liiiiitle too raw for a Disney franchise. Peaky Blinders this is not. Hell, he never even has a 'Han Shot First' moment that firmly lands him in a 'morally gray' zone. Mostly he just reacts to actions taken against him.

In addition to that, why does he look to Fennec like he's unsure of what's going on when he used to be a part of that ecosystem? Why is he stumbling through setting up his enterprise and only reacting to things (as of the end of episode 2 at least)? Why is there a whole flashback subplot about learning to fight and lead with the tuskens juxtaposed against his ineptitude in the present? Why does he think he's the king badass when his entire organization is some old droids, two Gamorreans, and one other bounty hunter?

It plays like an origin story or an audience-insert, not like the story of a character with a defined and directly relevant past.

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 23, 2022

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Everyone posted:

Space Vespas and droid parts are cheap on Tatooine. Water very much is not.

The problem isn't droid parts and speeder bikes on Tatooine, it's that they're new and custom speeder bikes and droid parts on Tatooine. The Mod Squad themselves are also way too clean and well-dressed for people who supposedly can't afford water. Also just dressing flashy like they do is a good way to get robbed in a place like Tatooine.

They fundamentally just do not read like plucky teenagers trying to survive and look cool, they read like rich tourists on a safari to see "how the real world actually lives" and how genuine and honest people live when they don't have money, and internet, and what do you mean "Give us your shiny expensive-looking bikes or we shoot you and bury you in the desert?"

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

they have guns and knives did you ever think that they're the ones doin the robbin

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The problem isn't droid parts and speeder bikes on Tatooine, it's that they're new and custom speeder bikes and droid parts on Tatooine. The Mod Squad themselves are also way too clean and well-dressed for people who supposedly can't afford water. Also just dressing flashy like they do is a good way to get robbed in a place like Tatooine.

They fundamentally just do not read like plucky teenagers trying to survive and look cool, they read like rich tourists on a safari to see "how the real world actually lives" and how genuine and honest people live when they don't have money, and internet, and what do you mean "Give us your shiny expensive-looking bikes or we shoot you and bury you in the desert?"

The Mod Gang are explicitly and deliberately based on the Mod culture of the early 60s. Most mods, especially towards the end of the period, were working class rather than well off. They worked lovely low paying jobs, and poured all their cash into their clothes and their scooters because those were the ways they could express their individuality. When their jobs went away, they didn't stop wearing the clothes or riding the scooters.

That's basically where the Mod Gang are. They had the work, but it went away. But they still have their style and they're going to stick with it because they'd rather not have water than give up being who they are.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
With Doctor Evazan working in the area there might even be good money to make selling arms and legs.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
It's not an uncommon thing for people who are in poverty to dress sharply and cleanly. One thing that I thought was awesome when I was near the slums in Nairobi is you see guys coming out of tin shacks wearing sharp, pressed, brilliantly clean outfits to go to church or other social events.

It's a really human thing to want to look good every once in a while. And some people want to do that all the time. I'm sure in the technologically advanced universe of star wars, there's a cheap way to keep clothes clean, even without water.

It would add more depth to the characters if you saw them at some point not all made up and clean. But if you want depth of character, Star Wars probably isn't the place to be looking for that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jedit posted:

The Mod Gang are explicitly and deliberately based on the Mod culture of the early 60s. Most mods, especially towards the end of the period, were working class rather than well off. They worked lovely low paying jobs, and poured all their cash into their clothes and their scooters because those were the ways they could express their individuality. When their jobs went away, they didn't stop wearing the clothes or riding the scooters.

That's basically where the Mod Gang are. They had the work, but it went away. But they still have their style and they're going to stick with it because they'd rather not have water than give up being who they are.

St_Ides posted:

It's not an uncommon thing for people who are in poverty to dress sharply and cleanly. One thing that I thought was awesome when I was near the slums in Nairobi is you see guys coming out of tin shacks wearing sharp, pressed, brilliantly clean outfits to go to church or other social events.

The problem is that Shiny and New has a very specific place in Star Wars' design language. Generally speaking it's either in the Core Worlds, or it's Imperial. And even then it's not a sure thing because you'll see scuffed equipment and droids inside otherwise neat-and-clean ships or installations. So when you plonk down a group of kids on Tatooine with clean clothes, shiny vehicles and stylish hair, it doesn't work because they don't read "local slumdwellers", they read "Coruscant tourists".

You're also not looking at the logistics of it either; Tatooine's the kind of place anyone with a lick of sense tries to leave for a better life, and the cost of importing anything brand-new there is going to involve a trip from the Core Worlds. If they had the money for bikes like that, they wouldn't still be on that planet to begin with (They even state as much that life sucks there and they're just trying to get by, so it's not even some kind of homeworld pride deal). The bikes themselves just don't really work design-wise for a desert planet either, because they read inner-city and who's going to sit down and think "Ya know, I could spend a little and get a decent second-hand speederbike or Landspeeder that goes absurdly fast and gives me the freedom to travel, or drop an obscene amount on this dinky slow scooter goes slow and probably won't even get me to the nearest settlement".

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Yeah I think everyone gets what they were going for with regards to their extremely on the nose naming and their appearance, but still think that the way they were implemented was just too distracting rather than them feeling like a plausible part of the universe. I've said it a couple of times but I don't think the idea is bad, just the execution.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're also not looking at the logistics of it either; Tatooine's the kind of place anyone with a lick of sense tries to leave for a better life, and the cost of importing anything brand-new there is going to involve a trip from the Core Worlds. If they had the money for bikes like that, they wouldn't still be on that planet to begin with (They even state as much that life sucks there and they're just trying to get by, so it's not even some kind of homeworld pride deal). The bikes themselves just don't really work design-wise for a desert planet either, because they read inner-city and who's going to sit down and think "Ya know, I could spend a little and get a decent second-hand speederbike or Landspeeder that goes absurdly fast and gives me the freedom to travel, or drop an obscene amount on this dinky slow scooter goes slow and probably won't even get me to the nearest settlement".

The Mod Gang ride scooters because real Mods did, and the real Mods rode scooters because they were cheaper than motorcycles to buy, repair, modify and operate. I'm OK with saying that people who can't afford a landspeeder would be willing to spend a lot less on a scooter and then spend a little more in installments making it look flash. Again, that was how the real Mods did it - they'd buy a second hand Vespa for a couple of hundred quid on tick, then occasionally spend a fiver for an extra mirror and bolt it on themselves.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
For me the mods compound the “Tattooine” issue because it’s like the show is desperately trying to add new “Star Wars” elements to the show, but elements that don’t really work on a sandy, dirty desert shithole. The Mods seem like characters from Coruscant or a core world or a major metropolis, it just doesn’t follow any internal logic of the universe that these clean, fashionable, cyborg-gear heads would appear here in this place. It’s like a perfect confluence of why people are sick of Tattooine.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
All of this could have been solved by giving them actual characterisation and development.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Sand can't be great for elbow actuators

The mods were all in all one of the worst parts of a middling show and I agree with a lot of the reasons why on this page. No development and they really should be on Coruscant or something instead of Tattooine. And Fett hires them without any proof of their abilities or what those abilities are besides they stole water from a portly old merchant. That part just snacks of laziness and trying to do too much within 7 episodes (2 of which were just episodes of another show, so 5 episodes)

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Feb 23, 2022

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jedit posted:

The Mod Gang ride scooters because real Mods did, and the real Mods rode scooters because they were cheaper than motorcycles to buy, repair, modify and operate. I'm OK with saying that people who can't afford a landspeeder would be willing to spend a lot less on a scooter and then spend a little more in installments making it look flash. Again, that was how the real Mods did it - they'd buy a second hand Vespa for a couple of hundred quid on tick, then occasionally spend a fiver for an extra mirror and bolt it on themselves.

Yeah, but there's the rub; There are no second-hand Vespas around to buy on a shithole at the end of the Galaxy. They're not the kind of vehicle anyone on the planet would want or use, someone would've had to specifically bring in demonstrably-inferior vehicles for a use they'd never be suitable for. Nobody's going to put the effort in to tool around on something like that when regular Speeder Bikes and Swoops exist either. And there's nobody to "make installments to" to make it look flash. The only stuff in working condition is makeshift and running off parts scavenged or stolen from everyone else on the planet because there is nobody to order in new parts. Quite likely nobody's delivering or selling new parts for anything on the planet either. It's just what everyone has recycled from everyone else on the planet that isn't nailed down.

Even something completely legit with a repair shop and money in a major city like Din's hotrod required getting Jawas to steal what was needed because it's Tatooine.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
Star Wars has never been that invested in that sort of verisimilitude.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ironslave posted:

Star Wars has never been that invested in that sort of verisimilitude.

Actually it's been a pretty consistent thing any time Tatooine's been shown; Need a specific part? Scrounge out in the junk stores or Jawas and good luck.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Even something completely legit with a repair shop and money in a major city like Din's hotrod required getting Jawas to steal what was needed because it's Tatooine.
Pretty sure she's not completely legit.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

You can say there’s no way to get those clean scooters in tatooine, but the mod kids did, so apparently there is

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

You can say there’s no way to get those clean scooters in tatooine, but the mod kids did, so apparently there is

Sure; Bad writing and probably someone's pet project inserted into the show.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Reminder that Luke had a ship he liked to take out flying, as well as had a model of it, so mod culture isn't that much of a stretch

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
Star Wars has rarely, if ever, given a drat about things like the availability of types of technology, exchange rates, general supply, so on and so forth. It's not interested in exploring those things or depicting them with any nod towards realism in a general sense. It's always been more interested in character and aesthetic over any kind of verisimilitude of setting, and any nods it's chosen to make--and it has made several surprising ones over the course of the Mandalorian, talking about the reach of the New Republic, bandits using defunct Imperial weapons--exist within the contexts of their stories to serve those two elements (character and aesthetic).

You can call that bad writing but it's a label you then have to extend to pretty much the entire setting for various things, real or presumed. Star Wars is not the kind of setting that would be likely to care about how the Mods got their junk, it cares about what they do with it and sometimes why.

Edit: Like, there is no situation in the series where someone would lose a limb and then be walking around without one for the rest of the series because they can't afford a prosthetic.

Ironslave fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 23, 2022

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, but there's the rub; There are no second-hand Vespas around to buy on a shithole at the end of the Galaxy. They're not the kind of vehicle anyone on the planet would want or use, someone would've had to specifically bring in demonstrably-inferior vehicles for a use they'd never be suitable for. Nobody's going to put the effort in to tool around on something like that when regular Speeder Bikes and Swoops exist either. And there's nobody to "make installments to" to make it look flash. The only stuff in working condition is makeshift and running off parts scavenged or stolen from everyone else on the planet because there is nobody to order in new parts. Quite likely nobody's delivering or selling new parts for anything on the planet either. It's just what everyone has recycled from everyone else on the planet that isn't nailed down.

Here's the thing though: everything about their scooters can still fit with all of that. Except that they were the only people to bother to spring for a couple of cans of Krylon.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Also the fact that you need water to keep them that clean and they were first introduced as not being able to afford it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
They were introduced as not being able to afford it, so they were stealing it. I guess IRL criminal gangs are badly written too :shrug:

Ironslave posted:

Star Wars has rarely, if ever, given a drat about things like the availability of types of technology, exchange rates, general supply, so on and so forth.
Some nerd sat down and analysed Dex's Diner frame by frame to see how many credits Kenobi paid for his space sliders and then applied Burgernomics to it to work out the exchange rate. As of episode 2 a Republic Credit is worth a little over €0.50.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

Some nerd sat down and analysed Dex's Diner frame by frame to see how many credits Kenobi paid for his space sliders and then applied Burgernomics to it to work out the exchange rate. As of episode 2 a Republic Credit is worth a little over €0.50.

Whereas in Episode IV Jabba is willing to have Han pursued across star systems over 10,000 credits. Not that €5000 is a small sum of money, and of course Jabba has a reputation to maintain, but it's a hell of a lot of trouble to go to. That or the Empire really boosted the economy.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

~100k can buy you a new* YT-1300. 50grand Euro for an Interstellar Cargo Container Pusher? Not bad?

* Good luck finding a new/stock one though.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Butterfly Valley posted:

...protocol droids?

C3P0 was a profoundly dumb motherfucker and everyone who had to start a conversation with it wanted nothing more than for that conversation to end .. so it tracks that people just don't want to have conversations with droids.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

A.o.D. posted:

C3P0 was a profoundly dumb motherfucker and everyone who had to start a conversation with it wanted nothing more than for that conversation to end .. so it tracks that people just don't want to have conversations with droids.

Dude just wanted to talk about his cool new red arm and everyone just ignored him.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Kazy posted:

Also the fact that you need water to keep them that clean and they were first introduced as not being able to afford it.

Or they have some exotic finish that doesn't require cleaning!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Jedit posted:

Whereas in Episode IV Jabba is willing to have Han pursued across star systems over 10,000 credits. Not that €5000 is a small sum of money, and of course Jabba has a reputation to maintain, but it's a hell of a lot of trouble to go to. That or the Empire really boosted the economy.
The vibe there with the Special Editions is that Jabba has put a bounty on Han for the sake of appearences, and he doesn't actually care if you think it'd be worth your while cashing in on it. It's been riding since before the action starts, and apparently Greedo is trying to collect. The logic is shakey enough to begin with that the Han Shot First debacle barely affects it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The empire probably did gently caress with the money when it took over. This is a recurring theme in Filoni Wars actually, there’s a somewhat boring arc in late CW about how Chancellor Palpatine ended corporate greed forever by nationalizing the banks to thunderous applause, and then another bit in Bad Batch where right after the empire was formed they changed the currency format and you had to go to the station and get your poo poo converted by the authorities or else go broke. Hope you don’t have any priors! Such as being part of a deserted black ops squad

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Bust Rodd posted:

For me the mods compound the “Tattooine” issue because it’s like the show is desperately trying to add new “Star Wars” elements to the show, but elements that don’t really work on a sandy, dirty desert shithole. The Mods seem like characters from Coruscant or a core world or a major metropolis, it just doesn’t follow any internal logic of the universe that these clean, fashionable, cyborg-gear heads would appear here in this place. It’s like a perfect confluence of why people are sick of Tattooine.

Maybe they were on Coruscant or Corellia, but Sheev was like, "gently caress y'all this is illegal now" and they puttered off to Tatooine where they could be free and just keep doing what they want since the Empire doesn't give a poo poo what happens over there. Since Disney loves two things with Star Wars - overreacting to fans and removing all mystery from the universe - I wouldn't be surprised if the mods have a backstory fleshed out eventually.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sash! posted:

Or they have some exotic finish that doesn't require cleaning!

https://www.autozone.com/wash-clean...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I'd enjoy the Mods more if we saw them looking way more tattered at the start, and then they got shiny as gently caress after Boba took them in, as a visual demonstration of how his rule is literally cleaning up Mos Espa

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012
RE: Mods and water

They never say in the show that the Mods couldn't afford the water, just that the water merchants prices were too high, and suggest that it's a moral stance they're taking by stealing the water, not a survival thing.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The biggest sin of Stephen Root as the water merchant is that they didn't do anything with him.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Hellbore posted:

RE: Mods and water

They never say in the show that the Mods couldn't afford the water, just that the water merchants prices were too high, and suggest that it's a moral stance they're taking by stealing the water, not a survival thing.

They do.

"Why'd you let the monger charge us a months wages for a week's worth of water?"

"Not that we have any wages."

"There is no work Mighty Daimyo!"

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
i rather we "mod" the mods .... out of this script!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
Honestly, there's enough material in the BOBF to do a phantom edit and tighten things up so it makes a great movie.