Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/michaeldweiss/status/1496534844960129026

"Cmon guys do warcrimes we are running out of Uaziks and cadavers"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

fatherboxx posted:

Let's throw some fake planes into the mix:

https://twitter.com/OAlexanderDK/status/1496539243455393793

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

fatherboxx posted:

I will now cry exactly three bitter tears, to show my empathy for Russia's problem.

Boo, hoo, hoo.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Not an expert nor am I world-smart but the digital theater stuff is going to be interesting to see and read about. I've worked in a hospital that was crypto ransomed (in 2016) and I hope that kind of poo poo is never weaponized on a large scale.

For us at the time it was a major pain in the rear end but more embarrassing than deadly; but I don't like the idea of the kind of stupid frustration something akin to that could cause in a war zone.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Here’s something for the recent conversation on what would Trump do

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/02/23/republicans-foreign-policy-russia-ukraine-00010780

quote:

Trump told an adviser recently that he doesn’t think Putin should be able to take Ukraine — even just from a real estate standpoint — and that he sees the Russian leader’s current actions as an attempt to steamroll Biden, according to a person familiar with the conversation.

Trump said Putin has sized up Biden and decided that he isn’t strong enough to stop Russia from rolling into Kyiv, this person recalled, adding that the former president has also blamed Biden for poking the bear by tying his legacy too closely to expanding NATO and to Russia’s Nord Stream 2 natural gas pipeline. Publicly and privately, he has described the current standoff as a problem for which he is the lone solution.

“This never would have happened with us had I been in office — not even thinkable,” Trump said in a Tuesday radio interview, describing Putin’s recognition of Ukrainian separatist regions as “savvy.”

fnox
May 19, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

Eh, this already happens. There's not been a case where cyberattacks turn into physical retaliation yet for the exact reason that its REALLY difficult to do attribution and everybody does it.

E: Anybody calling for physical retaliation to cyberattacks is a moron.

It sounds like peak clancychat, the idea of an unsanctioned cyber war, but I mean, that's one way that the West could at least hamper Russia without the use of force.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

External Organs posted:

Not an expert nor am I world-smart but the digital theater stuff is going to be interesting to see and read about. I've worked in a hospital that was crypto ransomed (in 2016) and I hope that kind of poo poo is never weaponized on a large scale.

For us at the time it was a major pain in the rear end but more embarrassing than deadly; but I don't like the idea of the kind of stupid frustration something akin to that could cause in a war zone.

Worth remembering Russia uses Ransomware groups as a sort of mercenary op for deniability, and when the Ukraine crisis started a month or so back, they started rounding these groups up as a show to US during negotiations.

As a Infosec goon, I can tell you those guys will be out of prison and back to doing what they do in no time.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

What would Trump do?

Ah, just "not let it happen".

Thanks for the idea, former Mr. President, we'll call you next time this occurs.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Is it allowed to just post the LA Noire Doubt face as a response to a former administration

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Russia has published a list of “Donbas war criminals”. As expected, it has pile of high profile politicians.

https://www.pravda.com.ua/news/2022/02/23/7325174/

As it usually is with Russian Investigative Committee announcements, we are treated to a Red Alert 3 campaign cutscene on the matter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41rZBZdN6xg

projecthalaxy posted:

Is it allowed to just post the LA Noire Doubt face as a response to a former administration

You may meme if the post does also contain a serious contribution to the thread.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Russia has published a list of “Donbas war criminals”. As expected, it has pile of high profile politicians.

https://www.pravda.com.ua/news/2022/02/23/7325174/

quote:

Російським Слідком також "залучаються" ексгубернатор Дніпропетровської області Ігор Коломойський та ексглава парламенту Олександр Турчинов – причина не вказана.

Couldn't even think up a reason to blame the Pastor and Benya?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
https://twitter.com/IntelCrab/status/1496542770634412037
RUMINT. Trying to corroborate. Extremely bad sign.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
What’s IP telephony is that like a landline only? How is that a good way for armies to communicate?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Al-Saqr posted:

What’s IP telephony is that like a landline only? How is that a good way for armies to communicate?

Nope, just telephony over internet, or any network really - as opposed to over the radio. Very simplified, think big military WiFi network. More difficult to snoop in on.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Which means encrypted phone terminals or apps.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

OctaMurk posted:

What would Trump do?

Ah, just "not let it happen".

Thanks for the idea, former Mr. President, we'll call you next time this occurs.

On the Oval Office desk, right between the "Gas Prices" and "Economy " levers is the "Foreign Policy Wins" lever

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://twitter.com/AmichaiStein1/status/1496541572405641216
If Russia rolls into Kharkiv and go enroute to Kiev, today's the day

Sekenr posted:

Other than looming threat of war, Zelensky already got everything he could hope for. Minsk 2 is cancelled, as well as NS2. As a bonus doesnt have to worry about how to reintegrate LDNR for the foreseeable future.
Sure, if he doesn't get himself martyred by Russian troops

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Other than looming threat of war, Zelensky already got everything he could hope for. Minsk 2 is cancelled, as well as NS2. As a bonus doesnt have to worry about how to reintegrate LDNR for the foreseeable future.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
What if the US went “Pssst, China, if they invade Ukraine while we fight them there, you swoop in from the back and take over the rest of the country.”

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Sekenr posted:

I think he should be more worried about the fact that the russians have nothing more to lose to just depose him entirely.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Gatts posted:

What if the US went “Pssst, China, if they invade Ukraine while we fight them there, you swoop in from the back and take over the rest of the country.”

China would tell us to gently caress off and stop trying to end the world.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

I think he should be more worried about the fact that the russians have nothing more to lose to just depose him entirely.

also all the bombing amd shooting of innocent Ukrainians. Even if Comrade Zelensky doesn't think those are bad, lots of people do!

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

Grouchio posted:

https://twitter.com/AmichaiStein1/status/1496541572405641216
If Russia rolls into Kharkiv and go enroute to Kiev, today's the day

Sure, if he doesn't get himself martyred by Russian troops

It’s a bit late in the day, everyone knows you should invade at dawn.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009
Within the next 2 days makes sense, they want their invasion forces well established on the borders in Donbass first, if they're going to invade Ukraine-controlled territory it makes sense to do it all at once.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

OctaMurk posted:

I don't think its a given that Ukraine ends up being a big Iraq-style insurgency. If Russian security services do have the purported list and can quickly round up any potential resistors then they can mostly crush an insurgency before it begins.

i dont think this will happen either. iraq and afghanistan ended up that way because there were pre-existing tribal structures, in afghanistan the taliban were essentially a pashto group trying to dominate other tribes, in iraq there were sunnis and shiites and kurds and a bunch of other smaller tribal affiliations, motivated to fight by religion and a lot of peer pressure and group identity, and who fought each other as well as the occupying force. i don't think it will be like that in ukraine

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Shibawanko posted:

i dont think this will happen either. iraq and afghanistan ended up that way because there were pre-existing tribal structures, in afghanistan the taliban were essentially a pashto group trying to dominate other tribes, in iraq there were sunnis and shiites and kurds and a bunch of other smaller tribal affiliations, motivated to fight by religion and a lot of peer pressure and group identity, and who fought each other as well as the occupying force. i don't think it will be like that in ukraine

In Ukraine they are fighting for their homes and independence as well as to avoid being controlled by Moscow. Even without all the other qualifiers you listed, the three factors I brought up just now would be more than enough to fuel a partisan insurgency. Especially because the Ukrainian military is well aware that it cannot win a symmetrical war against Russia; asymmetrical warfare is their best hope once the regular units get smashed.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

https://twitter.com/holger_r/status/1496513955249983488

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Nope, just telephony over internet, or any network really - as opposed to over the radio. Very simplified, think big military WiFi network. More difficult to snoop in on.

Wifi is still radio :catstare:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Russia has completed all preparations for an invasion like 6 times in the past week or so.

I mean from the morale report I'd say they have a few weeks before the Russian army will be crippled by covid and alcoholism. The tanks will be missing treads, uniforms will be sold and half nude soldiers will be trying to cross the border into ukrainian professional troops.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Shibawanko posted:

Not sure there's any parallel to what's likely to happen. A large ground war over half the country, possibly taking the capital, but leaving the other half of the country relatively untouched. And that remaining half will be getting weapons and supplies constantly from NATO to keep up the fight. If half the country is still unoccupied I can see the resistance in the occupied half being maintained for a long time. Russia still hasn't tried to overrun Ukrainian positions yet, when they do that's when Ukraine will stop restraining themselves and we'll start getting a better picture of Ukraine's will to resist.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

TasogareNoKagi posted:

Wifi is still radio :catstare:

That was not meant to be an accurate analogy, there’re multiple technological options for implementing cordless IP telephony. The key detail here is that they’ve moved into a closed network, whereas conventional radio is you literally yelling off the rooftop and hoping that no one tries listening to you. With caveats, of course, but that’s the gist of it.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Shibawanko posted:

The reason the Taliban rolled the US in the end was that they came together and compromised with the rest of the groups in the country, replacing Pashto supremacy with a more (ethnically) egalitarian version of the Taliban. Given that Ukraine is near 80% Ukrainian, it doesn't seem like unifying the country like that will be that difficult.

The insurgents in Iraq were also bolstered by the US completely shutting the Ba'athists out of power, "forcing" them to fight to maintain/regain their status.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

steinrokkan posted:

On the Oval Office desk, right between the "Gas Prices" and "Economy " levers is the "Foreign Policy Wins" lever

On which side of the Diet Coke button exactly?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/oleksiireznikov/status/1496550818744606725

Finally, my taxes are doing something I’m not ashamed to read about.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Protest in support of Ukraine in front of Russian embassy in Bratislava, Slovakia

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

https://twitter.com/oleksiireznikov/status/1496550818744606725

Finally, my taxes are doing something I’m not ashamed to read about.

How could they make a typo on it?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Iraq and Afghanistan were both cases where the occupiers came from halfway around the world, didnt speak the language, had literally zero understanding of local culture and customs, didnt look like the local people, and ultimately the occupiers didnt really want to be there. The Russians dont have those disadvantages. Not that occupying Ukraine is going to be easy but the Russians got a lot going for them compared to America in the ME

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Paladinus posted:

How could they make a typo on it?

I’m wondering about that as well. I assume this is an older spelling of the word or something.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

this might be one reason for the current calm before the storm.

Oh and they are brining props
https://twitter.com/nevedimka123/status/1496523365112238080

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

The last time Trump pulled that lever he blew up Iran’s top general.

Then almost pulled it again to blow up some Iranian military site before his panicked generals begged him not to do it.

I don’t want Trump to have that level now or ever again.