Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Why did Charles Robinson have a PPV match with Randy Savage's girlfriend?

...oh, right, WCW 1999.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

DMorbid posted:

Why did Charles Robinson have a PPV match with Randy Savage's girlfriend?

...oh, right, WCW 1999.

and a week later he had a tag match with Ric Flair against Randy Savage and Madusa where Randy gave him an elbow drop that cracked several of his vertebrae and collapsed one of his lungs

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
How many times did WCW manage to injure people who really, really shouldn't have been in the ring and/or matches? Robinson, Russo, Orndorff in 2000, I think Jerry Only got injured in his match with Dr Death? It wouldn't surprise me if there were a number of valets on the list too (not counting Savage slapping the poo poo out of Torrie Wilson, lolol).

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hedgehog Pie posted:

How many times did WCW manage to injure people who really, really shouldn't have been in the ring and/or matches? Robinson, Russo, Orndorff in 2000, I think Jerry Only got injured in his match with Dr Death? It wouldn't surprise me if there were a number of valets on the list too (not counting Savage slapping the poo poo out of Torrie Wilson, lolol).

Jerry Only definitely got hurt, and I don't think either of ICP were wrestlers yet when Mike Awesome awesome bombed Shaggy and he slid off the drat bus.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

ICP had already appeared in ECW and the WWF by the time that happened

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alaois posted:

and a week later he had a tag match with Ric Flair against Randy Savage and Madusa where Randy gave him an elbow drop that cracked several of his vertebrae and collapsed one of his lungs

It is one of the sickest bumps I've seen in wrestling, even if 'only' from an elbow drop. Savage's hips were so bad that essentially it meant Lil' Naitch got the WHOLE elbow.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

ICP had already appeared in ECW and the WWF by the time that happened

had they seriously? goddamn I had those timelines mixed way up

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DJExile posted:

Jerry Only definitely got hurt, and I don't think either of ICP were wrestlers yet when Mike Awesome awesome bombed Shaggy and he slid off the drat bus.

They'd already started JCW and wrestled a bunch of matches including half a dozen in WCW.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

It is one of the sickest bumps I've seen in wrestling, even if 'only' from an elbow drop. Savage's hips were so bad that essentially it meant Lil' Naitch got the WHOLE elbow.

I almost called it a shoot elbow drop because thats effectively what it was and after what it did to Robinson, I've never questioned its legitimacy as a finisher again

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Alaois posted:

I almost called it a shoot elbow drop because thats effectively what it was and after what it did to Robinson, I've never questioned its legitimacy as a finisher again

DDP said he hated taking it because every time Savage hit it, he described it as having "the meat taken off his ribs". And he didn't mean that in a food way.

Maybe DDP's bandaged ribs were a shoot?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Had no memory of WCW on Family Feud

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I really appreciate that the Z-Man cut a Z-shaped hole in his shirt. That's the bold kind of fashion choice kids these days could really learn from.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
There were WWF episodes too. They were all bizarre train wrecks.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/deepcutswcw/status/1495751816067403779?s=21

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oh no

oohhhhh no

https://twitter.com/DeepCutsWCW/status/1496484849741438978

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Vince McMahon: "NOW HERE'S MEN ON A MISSION WITH THE WRESTLEMANIA RAP!" (grins like an idiot and starts bopping his head)

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

NikkolasKing posted:

I was listening to some Bryan and Vinny Retro shows and Bryan says something like, in reference to a Sting/Luger video package, "And Luger won the title off Windham....and they hosed him that time, too! This poor guy."

I don't know anything about that era of WC(C?)W. I know Bryan is comparing it to how in late WCW Luger got these big World Title and US Title wins and then immediately lost them. Is that what happened with Windham?

fyi this is how they screwed Luger

best part is theres a later copy where they added a scroll announcing Flair was gone and it was Windham/Luger instead

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

lmao

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Was that the one where Flair quit right before, taking the title with him because Jim Herd was being a fuckwit?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

edogawa rando posted:

Was that the one where Flair quit right before, taking the title with him because Jim Herd was being a fuckwit?

Yep! Known for being one of the worst PPV shows ever. The crowd chanted "We want Flair!" the whole show and poo poo all over it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yo baby yo baby yo

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
WRESTLING RAPPER

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

Yep! Known for being one of the worst PPV shows ever. The crowd chanted "We want Flair!" the whole show and poo poo all over it.

I was wondering why that particular show rang a bell. It's hard not to feel bad for the talent out there. They were absolutely on a hiding to nothing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

edogawa rando posted:

I was wondering why that particular show rang a bell. It's hard not to feel bad for the talent out there. They were absolutely on a hiding to nothing.

It felt especially bad for Luger, whom the fans were hot to be world champ... but they wanted him to beat Flair for it, not Barry.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

It felt especially bad for Luger, whom the fans were hot to be world champ... but they wanted him to beat Flair for it, not Barry.

And then they turned him heel at the end of the match. And changed his finisher.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Davros1 posted:

And then they turned him heel at the end of the match. And changed his finisher.

Luger seems like a guy who had all the potential in the world - 10/10 look, charismatic, not a bad promo later on - and this was recognized by both WCW and WWF

And yet they burned him. Bisch claimed in an old Wrestling Roundtable that everyone who got Luger was burned by him but it seems more like the promoters were the ones who hosed him over repeatedly. To quote Bryan again "this poor guy."

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NikkolasKing posted:

Luger seems like a guy who had all the potential in the world - 10/10 look, charismatic, not a bad promo later on - and this was recognized by both WCW and WWF

And yet they burned him. Bisch claimed in an old Wrestling Roundtable that everyone who got Luger was burned by him but it seems more like the promoters were the ones who hosed him over repeatedly. To quote Bryan again "this poor guy."

Luger was a super egotistical rear end in a top hat at times and very hard to work with, especially post 98 WCW. I love Lex, but he wasn't the only bad actor in these relationships.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MassRafTer posted:

Luger was a super egotistical rear end in a top hat at times and very hard to work with, especially post 98 WCW. I love Lex, but he wasn't the only bad actor in these relationships.

I wonder if that comes from being jerked around in the late 80s/early 90s by NWA/WCW.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dawgstar posted:

I wonder if that comes from being jerked around in the late 80s/early 90s by NWA/WCW.

He was already kind of a dick in the early 90s.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Promoters also didn't like him because he had an agent negotiating his contracts from him.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

https://twitter.com/DeepCutsWCW/status/1501187725596188674

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/WestsideNiner/status/1506427669457641473

loving WHAT

:psyduck:

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

and as per the replies, jj dillon fuckin went over to the tune of $7500

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
lmao

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Aye Doc posted:

and as per the replies, jj dillon fuckin went over to the tune of $7500

i respect you judge man

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

JJ Dillon's real name being Jim Morrison is the biggest downgrade since Richard Blood went by Ricky Steamboat.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lid posted:

JJ Dillon's real name being Jim Morrison is the biggest downgrade since Richard Blood went by Ricky Steamboat.

I mean do you really want to run the risk of being called "Dick Blood" :v:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Angry_Ed posted:

I mean do you really want to run the risk of being called "Dick Blood" :v:

There is one now!

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=14633

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Vince McMahon: "NOW HERE'S MEN ON A MISSION GETTIN' DOWWWWWN AND FUNKAAAAY!!! ALRIGHT!!!" (grins like an idiot and starts bopping his head)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Imagine killing Chris Benoit and not even getting a boat out of it, drat