Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

al-azad posted:

Stephen King crawled too far up his own metaverse that we lost a great writer who had a diverse portfolio ranging from "crazy fan who loves the artist's work so much she'll threaten to murder the artist" to "haunted car wooooahhh"

the car was the image people remember most about Christine but the book’s real focus was the car’s malignant influence on Arnie, which ties into a pretty obvious set of anxieties (loss of friends, loss of recognition, etc) as well as the general mental degradation that characterized a lot of King’s work from that era. it also had a scary car, because King liked cars. still does, presumably, though probably not hatchbacks so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Manager Hoyden posted:

Well I think that all horror is based on some kind of animal

It doesn't have to be conscious

The lady in PT was actually a metaphor for a small horse

PT is about being trapped in an endless cycle that seems impossible to escape from, a hell that is both of your own creation and you are also being forced to stay in. Only through tremendous suffering can you eventually break free to something new.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

FNAF is an interesting case of a story without a lot of navel gazing. Its underlying plot is *absurdly* complicated for what it is, and yet it is by and large just "what if some dude wanted to become immortal so he started killing kids, wouldnt that be hosed up". No real focus on mental health or whatever, just a bunch of haunted fursuits, go sit in a corner and wait til morning.

I know people think it's pretty :fap: but I still think that Among The Sleep was pretty good. It was all about Abuse Monsters but it was done in a way that wasn't just some 30 year old bank clerk running away from a guy with a knife, and the theme bled into the game over time rather than HEY GUESS WHAT ABUSE

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

1stGear posted:

PT is about being trapped in an endless cycle that seems impossible to escape from, a hell that is both of your own creation and you are also being forced to stay in. Only through tremendous suffering can you eventually break free to something new.

Nah pretty sure it was the small horse thing

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I always thought the cult from Silent Hill was horribly underutilized, and misused when it did get used. The cult absolutely can be used effectively in the game if they're something other than a generic conspiracy or antagonists; if they're depicted as individuals who have an incomplete and incorrect understanding of what the town is, then there's plenty of potential there. Basically more SH1 or 3, less SHO, no SH5.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Oxxidation posted:

they’re talking about fillerfillerfiller Returnal fillerfillerfiller

and yes I am powerfully irate at that game’s story as well, not in the least because the twist was completely unnecessary to how the game had been presented up to that point

I've been working through that game. I just got to the third area yesterday. So far it doesn't seem to even have a plot

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The only moden horror about mental illness I'd give props to is Devotion.

Go play Devotion.

If they were able to release it on ps4 I'd buy it in a second. Very unhappy about this.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
In Sound Mind was incredibly surprising in how it handled people suffering from mental problems while also being a game that is forward about taking place in your own mind (not a spoiler, it's in the game's description). The way it handles things makes it so that metaphors are still present and you can definitely see the different themes between the various locations but it also has an actual reason for why any of this is happening and why the things you're dealing with inside your head are still very real and very dangerous.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

al-azad posted:

Stephen King crawled too far up his own metaverse that we lost a great writer who had a diverse portfolio ranging from "crazy fan who loves the artist's work so much she'll threaten to murder the artist" to "haunted car wooooahhh"

Christine was written and published before Misery. :confused:

Oxxidation posted:

the car was the image people remember most about Christine but the book’s real focus was the car’s malignant influence on Arnie, which ties into a pretty obvious set of anxieties (loss of friends, loss of recognition, etc) as well as the general mental degradation that characterized a lot of King’s work from that era. it also had a scary car, because King liked cars. still does, presumably, though probably not hatchbacks so much

Christine is literally "yandere-but-it's-a-car", which I fuckin' love.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

FirstAidKite posted:

In Sound Mind was incredibly surprising in how it handled people suffering from mental problems while also being a game that is forward about taking place in your own mind (not a spoiler, it's in the game's description). The way it handles things makes it so that metaphors are still present and you can definitely see the different themes between the various locations but it also has an actual reason for why any of this is happening and why the things you're dealing with inside your head are still very real and very dangerous.

I think this is the key thing a lot of post-SH2 games (*and also movies) miss: it worked because the poo poo was actually happening. Regardless of how deeply the monsters were based on James' issues, the monsters were real and he was actually there and some of the endings strongly imply he can take a little of the nightmare out with him. Alice Actually Goes To Wonderland And Doesn't Just Dream About It For Three Hours

(edit: And on a similar note, Neo waking up to discover the Matrix was all a dream would not have significantly improved the movie)

I don't have a problem with "ooh brains are spooky" (I've been writing the same spooky brain CYOA for almost three years now), I just hate that it tends to always hit the same notes. Silent HIll Homecoming setup an amazing opportunity to talk about PTSD and the trauma of war but instead whoops the protagonist is just delusional. Man, brains ARE spooky. Left brain-right brain divide is spooky. Prions are spooky. Genetic brain problems that your family have known about the whole time but they're in denial because society's just kinda like that, are spooky. Purple isn't even a real color, and that's pretty spooky. Capgras delusion, gradual deterioration of personhood, the sort of living conditions that depression/mental illness can lead to (the apartment I live in right now is a hundred times weirder than actually being depressed is), all spooky as hell. Of all the brain things that absolutely loving terrify me, waking up to discover I'm secretly a serial killer is very low on a looong list

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 23, 2022

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Read After Burning posted:

Christine was written and published before Misery. :confused:

Christine is literally "yandere-but-it's-a-car", which I fuckin' love.

I don’t think that was a dig at Christine, just an indication that King had a… wide array of stories, let’s say.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Bussamove posted:

I don’t think that was a dig at Christine, just an indication that King had a… wide array of stories, let’s say.

Going back, you're right and I think I mis-read. At first I read it as "He was good during Misery but bad since Christine", but now I'm re-reading it as "He was good back during Misery and Christine, but recently has been bad".

Sorry, Al-Azad!

I think they're under his pseudonym (can't remember), but the "dystopian" poo poo he wrote like The Long Walk or the Running Man are pretty "different vibes" from his usual work, I feel.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

"Haunted car" could also (sorta) describe From a Buick 8 which has a great idea but isn't a very good book.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Him doing The Regulators and Desperation under his pseudonym and real name respectively and using the same character names and antagonist but in extremely different roles was interesting.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Neo Rasa posted:

Him doing The Regulators and Desperation under his pseudonym and real name respectively and using the same character names and antagonist but in extremely different roles was interesting.

The dual-cover thing was sick.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

"Haunted car" could also (sorta) describe From a Buick 8 which has a great idea but isn't a very good book.

Buick 8 (which is bad, to be clear) was about fear of the unknown and inexplicable, subtly implied by King going “this is a story about fear of the unknown and inexplicable” every other god drat paragraph

goes to show that theme doesn’t carry you very far if it’s not implemented well

then there was Trucks, a story about man’s increasing irrelevance in an industrialized world (and scary trucks) and Uncle Otto’s Truck, a story about the corrosive effects of guilt and the terror of the inevitable (and a scary truck)

and Maximum Overdrive, which is mostly cocaine

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 23, 2022

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

This is probably trite but I was always under the impression that King wrote so many car based books not because he liked them but because one almost killed him

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

CuddleCryptid posted:

This is probably trite but I was always under the impression that King wrote so many car based books not because he liked them but because one almost killed him

That was in 1999; I believe Buick 8 was his only "murderous car" story written since then (2002). Christine was 1983, and Trucks (Maximum Overdrive) was first published in 1973.

I haven't kept up with any of his stuff post, like, 2010, though. So grain of salt and all that.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I think this is the key thing a lot of post-SH2 games (*and also movies) miss: it worked because the poo poo was actually happening. Regardless of how deeply the monsters were based on James' issues, the monsters were real and he was actually there and some of the endings strongly imply he can take a little of the nightmare out with him. Alice Actually Goes To Wonderland And Doesn't Just Dream About It For Three Hours

(edit: And on a similar note, Neo waking up to discover the Matrix was all a dream would not have significantly improved the movie)

I don't have a problem with "ooh brains are spooky" (I've been writing the same spooky brain CYOA for almost three years now), I just hate that it tends to always hit the same notes. Silent HIll Homecoming setup an amazing opportunity to talk about PTSD and the trauma of war but instead whoops the protagonist is just delusional. Man, brains ARE spooky. Left brain-right brain divide is spooky. Prions are spooky. Genetic brain problems that your family have known about the whole time but they're in denial because society's just kinda like that, are spooky. Purple isn't even a real color, and that's pretty spooky. Capgras delusion, gradual deterioration of personhood, the sort of living conditions that depression/mental illness can lead to (the apartment I live in right now is a hundred times weirder than actually being depressed is), all spooky as hell. Of all the brain things that absolutely loving terrify me, waking up to discover I'm secretly a serial killer is very low on a looong list

I think this is part of the problem, yeah. You can have your metaphors without the thing your game is a metaphor for being the literal monster. That said, the problem with 90% of all lovely horror games is hacks being hacks who would ruin any idea presented by them.

One underused concept in psychological horror is having events at some times real and at other times very, very obviously fake. There's a movie I really like, Christmas Evil, which is basically a slow, realistic portrait of a proto-office shooter completely losing his mind one holiday season. Almost the entire running time of the movie is the main character doing perfectly realistic (and clearly disturbed) things except for a couple key occasions where what we're seeing obviously isn't what's really happening. They're played completely straight, they assume the audience is smart enough to understand they're fake without glaring callouts and they really get you into the mindset of the tormented main character in a simultaneously creepy and sympathetic way.

Unrelated spooky brain stuff: I know someone who found out as an adult half her brain just... doesn't work. It's presumably been that way since birth, the other half is just doing what the rest of her brain isn't and she's a perfectly healthy, mentally stable person.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I was going to say "why can't any horror games just be about scary dudes/monsters" then remembered how people keep putting out indie horror games where you walk around until someone jumps out at you.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
There needs to be more games revolving around slashers that doesn't just involve hide and seek. Either you are one or being chased by one, doesn't matter.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
exquisite tea phrased the frustration behind “just a dream” or “all in your head” stories pretty well: we already know this is fiction, we seldom need a second layer of unreality over the first. it smacks of a lack of confidence on the writers’ part

silent hill 2 is one of the few exceptions not just because of its reality or lack thereof, but because of its thoroughness. there isn’t a single image or event in that game that doesn’t reflect back on James in some way, even from the other characters. it’s mercilessly solipsistic

the PS5 exclusive mentioned on the last page almost pulled off the same thing and then tripped down the stairs and broke its neck

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

CuddleCryptid posted:

it was the other way around, a car tried to kill him because he kept writing so many anti-car books

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Also, King went full subtext is for cowards after his accident. You know which books he wrote after the accident because every goddamn one for several years had a man get hit by a van.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Manager Hoyden posted:

Everyone

Can you think of anyone who starts up a game saying "oh boy I hope this is about depression" or "I'm rarin' to play a game with an abuse monster in it"

I don't think anyone "hopes" for which tough subject a game is about, but you're talking about horror which is an entire genre of art that brings these kinds of topics up and comments on them most of the time. The "you're a monster all along" is played out, but you could almost argue that applies to anything in horror because every work of horror can be summarized as "humanity is a piece of poo poo" so you're always the bad one! :v:

al-azad posted:

You mean he sobered up.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The only moden horror about mental illness I'd give props to is Devotion.

Go play Devotion.

Hellblade and Among the Sleep spring into mind; there's still no way to buy Devotion is there?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Oxxidation posted:

exquisite tea phrased the frustration behind “just a dream” or “all in your head” stories pretty well: we already know this is fiction, we seldom need a second layer of unreality over the first. it smacks of a lack of confidence on the writers’ part

silent hill 2 is one of the few exceptions not just because of its reality or lack thereof, but because of its thoroughness. there isn’t a single image or event in that game that doesn’t reflect back on James in some way, even from the other characters. it’s mercilessly solipsistic

the PS5 exclusive mentioned on the last page almost pulled off the same thing and then tripped down the stairs and broke its neck

Lack of confidence, maybe even some embarrassment about writing genre fiction while still wanting to lend your monster story cheap and easy emotional weight. Silent Hill 2 proved trauma\guilt metaphors aren't a bad place to start, but so many of these games feel like there was a pitch meeting where someone did Pixar hands while talking about scares and aesthetic, then when they were asked what it all means they went "Uh, a tortured... erm, uncle... can't accept that his... Pomeranian... got... cancer?'" It often comes off as perfunctory.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Read After Burning posted:

Going back, you're right and I think I mis-read. At first I read it as "He was good during Misery but bad since Christine", but now I'm re-reading it as "He was good back during Misery and Christine, but recently has been bad".

Sorry, Al-Azad!

I think they're under his pseudonym (can't remember), but the "dystopian" poo poo he wrote like The Long Walk or the Running Man are pretty "different vibes" from his usual work, I feel.

lol yes I was just pointing out his absurd range. My favorite King book is The Talisman (with Peter Straub) which is ostensibly about a 12yo who can shift into a parallel dimension that's all blasted and ruined but the real horror happens in the real world where the kid is practically enslaved at a gross bar or picked up by a religious cult at a school for troubled children and it's just a good fantasy road trip book but also occasionally silent hill as heck.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

sigher posted:

Hellblade and Among the Sleep spring into mind; there's still no way to buy Devotion is there?

https://shop.redcandlegames.com/app/devotion

You can buy it directly from the developers.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

SimonChris posted:

https://shop.redcandlegames.com/app/devotion

You can buy it directly from the developers.

Detention is also really good and also deals with Capital I Issues in an interesting way.

Also looking at that website, what is with the Zalgo text thing in their drop down? Some sort of manga ARG called the Shan-Hai Archive?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'd like to see a horror game where you're just a complete assholes the entire time and not as a twist. The closest thing I can think of is the first Gabriel Knight where the gameplay mostly consists of being a deuce.

Alternatively a M.R. James sort of thing where you just randomly stumble into some horrific supernatural force because you read the wrong book or booked the wrong hotel room or stole a whistle, engraved with esoteric symbols and cryptic Latin phrases, from a Templar grave while on holiday. You know that sort of relatable thing any player can easily imagine happening to them.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Neo Rasa posted:

I reread those one after another last year, and it was a neat idea (especially presenting one as a posthumously uncovered Bachmann manuscript), but it felt like the paired stories themselves never hit anything deeper than a "huh, that was an interesting concept I guess" level. But yeah, the covers were pretty neat though.

1stGear posted:

Also, King went full subtext is for cowards after his accident. You know which books he wrote after the accident because every goddamn one for several years had a man get hit by a van.

Up to and including Famous Author Stephen King, who must be saved from his accident to continue his all-important work of being a Storyteller :v:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I will say, I think Stephen King's best work is his short stories. Far too often he has a really fun idea, spends nearly a thousand pages playing with the idea, then realises he doesn't actually know how to end it and you end up with The Tommyknockers.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Disposable Scud posted:

There needs to be more games revolving around slashers that doesn't just involve hide and seek. Either you are one or being chased by one, doesn't matter.

It turns me off a bunch of stuff that looks otherwise interesting- Nun Massacre or other Puppet Combo stuff I guess?- that it just looks like hide and seek.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Has there ever been a Stephen King game?

Aside from Alan Wake where you might as well be playing as Stewart Monarch.

Disposable Scud posted:

I think Puppet Combo's Babysitter Massacre is pretty good. I haven't played it in years but I don't think you can even hide from the killer. You just need to find a way to escape or to kill him.

I think.

I might be mashing up my memories of Halloween the movie with the game.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 24, 2022

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

There was a point and click adventure game based on The Dark Half in the 90's, but I never played it so idk if it was any good.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

catlord posted:

I will say, I think Stephen King's best work is his short stories. Far too often he has a really fun idea, spends nearly a thousand pages playing with the idea, then realises he doesn't actually know how to end it and you end up with The Tommyknockers.

the tommyknockers is one of his few novels that actually ends well, it’s the middle that meanders

needful things comes to mind as an ending that’s more of a big shrug

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

catlord posted:

I think The Mist is my favorite thing he's written, and coincidentally would also be a good setup for a game.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Has there ever been a Stephen King game?

And that's where I accidentally set myself up for a Half Life joke :v:

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

catlord posted:

This tends to be horror in general imo. Most of the best horror literature from the past few years has been short story collections, though there are definitely notable exceptions.

Which reminds me The Butcher's Table is a great concept for a game. A pirate ship sails to hell to smuggle out damned souls with help from two rival Satanist cults with ulterior motives while being chased by weird body horror angels. Lots of ways to use that setup.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Oxxidation posted:

the tommyknockers is one of his few novels that actually ends well, it’s the middle that meanders

needful things comes to mind as an ending that’s more of a big shrug

Maybe I don't remember it (did I finish it? I know I read at least part of it...), it's the one my dad always points to as having a weird, bad end. I liked Needful Things, I don't remember having an issue with how it ended. But then again, I liked The Dark Half (the novel, not the dire game that had an LP on here ages ago), and Needful Things felt like a companion piece to it to me.

Unfortunately, I think Alan Wake is your best bet for a Stephen King videogame (unless you go and find a copy of F13, not that one should).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
alan wake is not stephen king. it's too bland to even even be bad stephen king

the best representation of his writing in game form is probably the first arc of The Secret World