Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Where patch??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Are we allowed to talk about this game again? (edit- hey its me nevvy you may remember me from being bad at dota)

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Insanely stoked for today.. I've been training my four friends and they're all hooked on dota now.. Making the perfect herald squad of newbies who play one position only to help me get wicked kill streaks and stuff

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I can't wait to read all the poo poo I barely understand since I haven't played dota properly in forever

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
i've been playing and enjoying dota quite a bit since the turn of the year - been in a bit of a lull during patch times before but very excited for this one!

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

It's amazing game and I love it. It'd even better to hear a 35 yr old squeal in excitement as his Lich ult bounces a billion times or the PA one Shots a support for the first time.. A magical time

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
i've played a lot of dota games where I'm having a less than ideal time and thats just not what a lot of people want from a videogame they are playing in their free time but also dota makes most other games feel so tepid and pointless

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

flashman posted:

It's amazing game and I love it. It'd even better to hear a 35 yr old squeal in excitement as his Lich ult bounces a billion times or the PA one Shots a support for the first time.. A magical time

I don't play Lich often but CM was banned in a game the other day so I picked up that frosty guy and had a sick fuckin game

Enemy team was Jakiro, Underlord, Morphling, Zeus and Venge. I laned with a Jug and we got a few early kills, of course, so I just rushed the Aghs knowing most of the enemy team doesn't like building BKB.

It is so obscenely satisfying pulling them all in and then throwing that ulti + Frost Blast :black101:

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Sab669 posted:

I don't play Lich often but CM was banned in a game the other day so I picked up that frosty guy and had a sick fuckin game

Enemy team was Jakiro, Underlord, Morphling, Zeus and Venge. I laned with a Jug and we got a few early kills, of course, so I just rushed the Aghs knowing most of the enemy team doesn't like building BKB.

It is so obscenely satisfying pulling them all in and then throwing that ulti + Frost Blast :black101:

Yessir that's the good stuff! I got a ultra kill as rubick with a lich ult on my lifted dude into a big stun that just hosed them all and it felt so nice

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I do love a good Rubick game too, but Telekenesis / Toss always feels so clunky to me when I decide to pick him. I dislike that you need to cast the spell again to target where to drop 'em. That 0.8s of air time when you've only got 1 point in it is not enough time for my slow old man brain :saddowns:

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
If you haven't already, use quickcast. I switched about a year ago and felt like a god the first couple games that it clicked. Also turning off double click to self cast and using alt+hotkey instead changed my dazzle games from "getting flamed for accidentally self casting grave" to "getting flamed for not graving the guy 2 screens away" (also I mapped the "alt" modifier to a mouse button since my hands can not handle alt+q/w/e/r at all)

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I don't use Quickcast, but I've been thinking about trying to get used to it. And I need to just come up with better item key bindings in general -

I think the Alt + QWE stuff for my bottom row of items fucks up my ability to toggle abilities like Frost Arrows, which is super annoying needing to manually right click the icon to toggle it :ohdear:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Quickcast sucks rear end.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Plank Walker posted:

If you haven't already, use quickcast. I switched about a year ago and felt like a god the first couple games that it clicked. Also turning off double click to self cast and using alt+hotkey instead changed my dazzle games from "getting flamed for accidentally self casting grave" to "getting flamed for not graving the guy 2 screens away" (also I mapped the "alt" modifier to a mouse button since my hands can not handle alt+q/w/e/r at all)

i love it on some skills (spirit breaker charge, techies mines) but for the most part I just can't get used too it,

people who use alt+a key for items etc are doing devilwork to me, i just can't even think about trying it

also i use wasd for my camera, don't @ me

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Try moving alt key modifier to a mouse button (it's somewhere in the settings). Some people recommend leaving aoe abilities on non-quickcast, but I recommend just setting it for all (and on key down). Really helps you avoid trying to line up e.g. the perfect lina stun and just casting it instead.

Can't speak to you on hotkeys I'm a weirdo ESDF camera panner

If you do go the quickcast route, be sure to set it for attacks too (assuming you use an attack button vs just right clicking everything)

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Plank Walker posted:

drat

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

Quickcast sucks rear end.

why do you want to use twice as many button presses to perform the same action

this is, in every way, worse

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Plank Walker posted:

Try moving alt key modifier to a mouse button (it's somewhere in the settings). Some people recommend leaving aoe abilities on non-quickcast, but I recommend just setting it for all (and on key down). Really helps you avoid trying to line up e.g. the perfect lina stun and just casting it instead.

If you do go the quickcast route, be sure to set it for attacks too (assuming you use an attack button vs just right clicking everything)

I use Mouse 4 for Discord chat and Mouse 5 for in-game voice chat :(

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
1-5 for skills
Q for select hero
WASD for camera
E for ultimate
RTFGH for items
Y for TP Scroll
B for attack move
Z for scoreboard
X for control all other units
Space for Stop
JKL for chat wheels

it probably sucks but its the way i like to play, its funny because I played 40 hours of league near the start of the year just for a break and using QWER for the skills was fine but I can't do the league style in dota and vice versa

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

JollyBoyJohn posted:

1-5 for skills
Q for select hero
WASD for camera
E for ultimate
RTFGH for items
Y for TP Scroll
B for attack move
Z for scoreboard
Space for Stop
JKL for chat wheels

it probably sucks but its the way i like to play, its funny because I played 40 hours of league near the start of the year just for a break and using QWER for the skills was fine but I can't do the league style in dota and vice versa

what the...

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

1-5 for skills
Q for select hero
WASD for camera
E for ultimate
RTFGH for items
Y for TP Scroll
B for attack move
Z for scoreboard
Space for Stop
JKL for chat wheels

this is the most hosed up thign every posted in a dota thread

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Wangsbig posted:

this is the most hosed up thign every posted in a dota thread

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Seriously it's almost at parody levels

quote:

For skills my hotkeys are R, Q, P, and S. My item hotkeys are F6, Backslash, Numlock, ~, mwheelup and the windows key. For camera control, I physically pick up my monitor and move it around.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Sab669 posted:

I use Mouse 4 for Discord chat and Mouse 5 for in-game voice chat :(

hmm that's unfortunate, I use mouse 4 for stop, mouse 5 for "alt", but also use autohotkey to map the windows key to F13 which i then use for chat and caps lock to F14 which i use for "directional move"

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
reminds me of this classic dota clip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo-_imCAD7g

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

JollyBoyJohn posted:

1-5 for skills
Q for select hero
WASD for camera
E for ultimate
RTFGH for items
Y for TP Scroll
B for attack move
Z for scoreboard
Space for Stop
JKL for chat wheels

Ban this troll

Space bar select hero double tap to center on him.. God mode

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Quick cast is also garbo

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Kild posted:

Seriously it's almost at parody levels

Thank you for finding this again it's legendary.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

quickcast for all unit-target spells, default for all ground-target spells

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I've been learning quickcast lately and it seems much better but I don't have it on for items because the first time I did that I placed both the wards I was carrying b/c I was just trying to swap from obs to sentries and I felt like a fool

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5adApkpWTo&t=1060s this demonstration by Jerax is what got me to try quickcast, timestamped link to the relevant part

Geight fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 23, 2022

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Wheres isit ? Where is patcH?

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
all you wasd camera people please dont share your brain worms my whole day is ruined now

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
I saw a pro on youtube once who was using grab-with-mouse to pan the camera and I've honestly never recovered.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

ILL Machina posted:

all you wasd camera people please dont share your brain worms my whole day is ruined now

is esdf ok?

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Search within yourself and the answer will emerge.

E: no, use your left hand scope for things you can't do with your mouse. Learn the edge pan (I don't do that) and the middle-click-drag + self-center loop. It's fine to use for spectator mode, I guess, but there are too many inputs you need access to during gameplay. You might as well use legacy keys.

Corla Plankun posted:

I saw a pro on youtube once who was using grab-with-mouse to pan the camera and I've honestly never recovered.

This is the way.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I use 1-6 for my item keybinds but that's about it.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

I use tygvcx for items (:<

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

imagine not moving the camera with a wii motion plus

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
grab with mouse to pan would work for me but for some reason the cursor also moves while you're doing it which seems to defeat the whole purpose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

where is the PATCH