Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Man if Russia actually goes through with this it's going to trigger one hell of a military build-up in ex-Soviet/Warsaw Pact states terrified Putin will pull the same poo poo on them.

the time to buy raytheon stock is now now now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
DPR and LPR leaders have written letters asking Russia to intervene.

https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1496587819569098758

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Fuligin posted:

the time to buy raytheon stock is now now now!

Considering how much European equipment is German you'd probably be better investing in Rheinmetall.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Sinteres posted:

There's a difference between being able to disrupt all of Ukraine's logistical network vs just attacking any planes coming in carrying weaponry from other countries or attacking convoys at the borders that are picking up those sorts of supplies. I feel like the latter is a lot easier to do.

there will be trucks going in and out of Ukraime everyday for all sorts of things that are not military. Unless Russia is going to bomb every vehicle going in and out of Ukraine, its not going to be hard to figure out how to deliver aid. For example, Israel has total air superiority over Gaza and has it blockaded on all sides, yet Hamas still has ATGMs, rockets and all manner of weaponry continually delivered.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Lum_ posted:

If Putin goes full supervillain and invades the Baltics, then the US would be at war with Russia (it would be pretty much automatic). What would it look like in the few days/hours before a nuclear exchange is left for whatever Skaven historian deems important to record.

Russia won't step on the Baltic's, you have french, Danish and British battlegroups currently based in Estonia, with the Spanish, Italians, Canadians down in Latvia he won't trigger article 5 up here, if he did I'll be fuming, I'm supposed to rotate out soon.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Considering how much European equipment is German you'd probably be better investing in Rheinmetall.

*clumsily fumbling across chart coveres desk fir my telephone&* 'FORGET the raytheon! Were all in on rhein rhein rhein!

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

BoldFace posted:

Smart of them to show print-outs rather than Word docs. I'm 100% positive metadata would show the statements were written on a computer in St. Petersburg.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

OctaMurk posted:

there will be trucks going in and out of Ukraime everyday for all sorts of things that are not military. Unless Russia is going to bomb every vehicle going in and out of Ukraine, its not going to be hard to figure out how to deliver aid. For example, Israel has total air superiority over Gaza and has it blockaded on all sides, yet Hamas still has ATGMs, rockets and all manner of weaponry continually delivered.

Yeah I mean I don't think they'll stop every crate coming in, but I think it'll obviously be a lot harder to accept mass shipments than it is today if Russia does start a large scale attack. Especially if Russian intelligence has infiltrated Ukraine as thoroughly as a lot of people have speculated.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Raytheon is down 2% on the week, so you're probably correct.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Pook Good Mook posted:

Smart of them to show print-outs rather than Word docs. I'm 100% positive metadata would show the statements were written on a computer in St. Petersburg.

They are already grabbing people off the streets and conscripting them by force.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Pook Good Mook posted:

And like a month ago.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Gatts posted:

Could we give them a Cub Scout status? A coupon to apply later?

There is a (Western) Ukrainian scouting tradition dating back to 1911 (Plast).

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Can the Russians stand up to the Ukrainian Webelos knowledge of knot types? What artillery can stand before the mighty sheet bend?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Can the Russians stand up to the Ukrainian Webelos knowledge of knot types? What artillery can stand before the mighty sheet bend?

The Cub Scout "Counter Battery" merit badge.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
https://twitter.com/NotWoofers/status/1496570486029000711
Russian aircraft reportedly probing Ukrainian Air Defense.

https://mobile.twitter.com/loogunda/status/1496565524175728640
Donetsk authorities cut power, internet, and TV to the city.

https://twitter.com/NotWoofers/status/1496574361746214912
State of Emergency officially declared in Ukraine. To go into effect in less than an hour.

Alongside the formal request for help from DNR/LNR authorities, I believe direct confrontation starts tonight.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Haha this sucks man

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

peej posted:

How much would they need to reposition? Not an expert here by any means but the heavy bombers (if they were to be used) have enough range to not need to be moved. Even more so if they are launching cruise missiles.

The fighters and fighter-bombers would need to be closer but they already have air bases at Sevastopol and Voronezh within range. And probably others too.

Probably not much. Looking at the more exact quote now, the statement was “50 medium to heavy bombers within range of Ukraine”, and looking at the list of actual aircraft in use I’m not even sure what is a medium bomber. All 3 Tupolevs are long range stratbombers, which only leaves the 10 MiG-31K with Kinzhal missiles that they have, supposedly.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

welp началось

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/ESETresearch/status/1496581904916754435

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Guess modern war doesn't have to start at dawn...

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

FishBulbia posted:

US said Russian forces would be ready on the 16th, media took this to mean they were invading on the 16th.

This is some great reframing.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 23, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Conspiratiorist posted:

https://twitter.com/NotWoofers/status/1496570486029000711
Russian aircraft reportedly probing Ukrainian Air Defense.

https://mobile.twitter.com/loogunda/status/1496565524175728640
Donetsk authorities cut power, internet, and TV to the city.

https://twitter.com/NotWoofers/status/1496574361746214912
State of Emergency officially declared in Ukraine. To go into effect in less than an hour.

Alongside the formal request for help from DNR/LNR authorities, I believe direct confrontation starts tonight.

Stay safe Ukrainian goons.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Freezer posted:

Guess modern war doesn't have to start at dawn...

RusMil has better optics across their armor. It was always going to start at night.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

CommieGIR posted:

Stay safe Ukrainian goons.

Yeah stay safe everyone!

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
If I were Zelensky I would just give up ahead of time and call Putin to ask for whatever he wants, loss in direct battle is totally a foregone conclusion.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

quarantinethepast posted:

If I were Zelensky I would just give up ahead of time and call Putin to ask for whatever he wants, loss in direct battle is totally a foregone conclusion.

He wants Ukraine. The entirety of Ukraine. Or the ability to veto anything Ukraine wants to do.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

I don't believe he gets to make that kind of call on his own, regardless.

Also since it hasn't been brought up, Ukrainian Parliament has been in session all day passing emergency measures like unrestricted ability to shift funds to military budget and open carry for self-defense permitted to all citizens.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

On the plus side for Zelensky he probably gets to be 'the legitimate President of Ukraine' for the rest of his life.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

CommieGIR posted:

He wants Ukraine. The entirety of Ukraine. Or the ability to veto anything Ukraine wants to do.

In that case it's going to happen whether the Ukrainians fight or not, what's Zelensky going to do, have half the population die or flee in a guerrilla war?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

https://twitter.com/ELINTNews/status/1496501186660388864?s=20&t=j_YJvadXMGm11aLx8jnjaA

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Unfortunately the chances are good that Putin will ask for Zelensky's head, so he probably isn't going to risk that. I get what you're saying, that not fighting back might result in less dead Ukrainians, but there's no guarantee of that either. And even if there was, that's zero solace to anyone on the list of "undesirables" Russia has.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Putin is gonna go down in history as a butcher

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

In that case it's going to happen whether the Ukrainians fight or not, what's Zelensky going to do, have half the population die or flee in a guerrilla war?

Given that Putin has openly said they plan to go after anyone on a list they have: Some people are going to fight. Because if there's one thing Putin is good at, its silencing and murdering critics.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Stay safe, everyone.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I mean lets look back to October/November: https://twitter.com/shashj/status/1496572027385303048

The final go decision was probably only made quite recently but negotiations were always a sham and this was always Putin's endgame. There was nothing Zelensky could have done.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
Would Putin want to annex all of Ukraine, or just Novorossiya and set up a puppet in Kiyv-Lvov? Prior to that unhinged speech I would have guessed the Novorossiya option to be the absolute limit of his ambitions but now I'm not so sure.

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

BoldFace posted:

This should make the CSPAM tankie thread happy

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I'm no Zelensky stan but i have to assume even he is not going to just say "sure, mr putin, come in and do 3-6 holocausts here" because that's what capitulation means.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Called grandma and she gave me an unhinged speech about Ukrainians being bad people and Putin being very patient with them for too long so that's what the state TV watching population is thinking (no I don't know if she has an account here)

That includes Putin himself, watching Solovyovs screaming-about-ukraine shows under quarantine broke his brain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ukraine, unlike Russia, isn't a tinpot dictatorship run by a single man