Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

Has anybody here attempted a Lingua Franca run yet? I've been mulling it in my head all night, really curious if it can be done without a tedious rear end WC

My first playthrough would probably have got it if I stuck with it.

As long as you take out the byzantines you should have such a grandeur bonus over everyone else you just wait for them all to flip to you after that. The ai has no real ability to build up to that level on its own. Almost the whole world was speaking Sudanic my the time I got bored with it.

Diplo focused court is super good for vassalizing everything and scarfing up titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

PittTheElder posted:

Has anybody here attempted a Lingua Franca run yet? I've been mulling it in my head all night, really curious if it can be done without a tedious rear end WC

I managed to do it in my Pandya game. Once you get really large and prestigious most AI courts will change to your language but some just simply refuse. One thing to making them change language is to hold land close to them it seems but there will always be those that still refuse and you must conquer them.
I recommend starting in 867 and in India. In 867 because that means there will still be lots of tribal countries without courts even at the end of the game and you will need all the time you can to make all courts switch to your language.
In India because it has high development and lets you have a good base to push west from, it also has loads of feudal kingdoms at the start that you need to have speak your language. You also want to take the "Become Chakravarti" decision (control all the 3 indian empires, Deccan Empire, Empire of Rajastan and The Bengal Empire) because it unlocks the Hindu version of crusades which is called Great Purification. You will want to re-form your religion to make sure you are the head of the religion first, you also want "Lay Clergy" so you can hold temples. You will have inheritance at partition for most of the game (switch to High Partition as soon as possible) so being able to have temples just makes the single county you control the most powerful it can be.

In your own religion select the tenet which makes you able to call someone a sinner and give a revoke reason for their titles (can't remember what it's called) because some people will simply refuse to change their court language so you need to easily be able to revoke large amounts of titles. Also make adultery a sin for both men and women and you will be able to revoke titles from pretty much everyone at the end of the game.

All in all it was a complete slog, during the last great purification war the game took about 10 seconds per day at maximum speed and I have a pretty good computer but I did not need to conquer the entire world, "only" about half. I finally conquered the last holdouts in 1399, it was 3 "south" african kingdoms that just absolutely refused to change court language.

Another thing, since your vassals create so many new hybrid cultures you will need to make sure that if one of them refuses to change language, which happened to me with Persia, you can as emperor force educate their children and have them switch to your culture, that will make them finally switch the court language.

TjyvTompa fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 23, 2022

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
I feel like the artifact claim wars should only be possible for the two highest tiers of artifact. Or maybe gated by highest title so a county holder could go to war over the lower level ones but a king could not.
I haven't been paying enough attention to see if they have been too crazy in my games but it does feel silly to go to war over your great-grandfather's looted poop knife

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

TjyvTompa posted:

I managed to do it in my Pandya game. Once you get really large and prestigious most AI courts will change to your language but some just simply refuse. One thing to making them change language is to hold land close to them it seems but there will always be those that still refuse and you must conquer them.
I recommend starting in 867 and in India. In 867 because that means there will still be lots of tribal countries without courts even at the end of the game and you will need all the time you can to make all courts switch to your language.
In India because it has high development and lets you have a good base to push west from, it also has loads of feudal kingdoms at the start that you need to have speak your language. You also want to take the "Become Chakravarti" decision (control all the 3 indian empires, Deccan Empire, Empire of Rajastan and The Bengal Empire) because it unlocks the Hindu version of crusades which is called Great Purification. You will want to re-form your religion to make sure you are the head of the religion first, you also want "Lay Clergy" so you can hold temples. You will have inheritance at partition for most of the game (switch to High Partition as soon as possible) so being able to have temples just makes the single county you control the most powerful it can be.

In your own religion select the tenet which makes you able to call someone a sinner and give a revoke reason for their titles (can't remember what it's called) because some people will simply refuse to change their court language so you need to easily be able to revoke large amounts of titles. Also make adultery a sin for both men and women and you will be able to revoke titles from pretty much everyone at the end of the game.

All in all it was a complete slog, during the last great purification war the game took about 10 seconds per day at maximum speed and I have a pretty good computer but I did not need to conquer the entire world, "only" about half. I finally conquered the last holdouts in 1399, it was 3 "south" african kingdoms that just absolutely refused to change court language.

Another thing, since your vassals create so many new hybrid cultures you will need to make sure that if one of them refuses to change language, which happened to me with Persia, you can as emperor force educate their children and have them switch to your culture, that will make them finally switch the court language.

Yeah see that is exactly what I would prefer to avoid. My concept is more or less to get the Tradition that lets you holy war multiple times, convert to a weird rear end religion, and then holy war all over, handing titles out to random nobles of my culture (and my son's for inheritance management) and then just straight up destroying the Kingdom titles and loving off.

SlothBear posted:

My first playthrough would probably have got it if I stuck with it.

As long as you take out the byzantines you should have such a grandeur bonus over everyone else you just wait for them all to flip to you after that. The ai has no real ability to build up to that level on its own. Almost the whole world was speaking Sudanic my the time I got bored with it.

Diplo focused court is super good for vassalizing everything and scarfing up titles.

This is interesting though, I did not realize they would actually switch to your court language if you were prestigious enough. Rolling over the Romans is never really all that hard.

I started in Egypt in 867 for a change, it's weird having drat near no techs. No mangonels and crown authority (and thus no revoking) certainly making it interesting...

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 23, 2022

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

This is interesting though, I did not realize they would actually switch to your court language if you were prestigious enough. Rolling over the Romans is never really all that hard.

They will, but they need the prestige to pay the cost to do it which they won't accumulate if they're weak/unstable enough, which is why I think it seems like smaller courts "refuse" I think it's more that they never have the currency to do it and would if they could. The shortcut here is just to take their kingdom and destroy it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

One more thing I notice upon starting a new game: everybody is broke as gently caress and it makes no sense. Most of the Baronies on the map probably deserve to start with a full pallet of buildings already built, certainly so in the Near East. Let's see some fields in Egypt maybe?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Tried for the Miklagardariki achivement with a Haesteinn start and it's not firing for whatever reason.

I have the Empire of Italia and what appears to be all of De Jure Thessalonika, and I'm unreformed Asatru. The only thing I can think of is that I formed a hybrid culture (Greco-Norse) because this poo poo was not gonna happen as long as Norse cultural heads refused to study siege weapons. But the achievement only says you have to be North Germanic Asatru so if there's a culture requirement, I'm not seeing it.

Btw, destroying the Papacy is immensely satisfying, would recommend.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

My current game is definitely suffering from the AI not managing factions. Europe has broken up into a hundred little territories with even a bunch of counties all by themselves with no liege. I’ve been picking them off one by one, or vassalizing a bunch at one time too.

Was funny to see the HRE reduced to a couple counties, and then get taken over by Hungary, so then Hungary became the HRE. Then like five years later the entire thing fell apart again with counties and duchies all split off on their own. The HRE is once again back to just a couple counties.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

I feel like the artifact claim wars should only be possible for the two highest tiers of artifact. Or maybe gated by highest title so a county holder could go to war over the lower level ones but a king could not.
I haven't been paying enough attention to see if they have been too crazy in my games but it does feel silly to go to war over your great-grandfather's looted poop knife

I was unloading my trash artifacts on a relative in the ERE, and the emperor has been getting rocked by non-stop wars from my realm's incestuous alliance of dukes. I switched to giving them to the king of Sweden thinking that his giant tribal troop count would deter them, but now he's getting attacked, too.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Tried for the Miklagardariki achivement with a Haesteinn start and it's not firing for whatever reason.

I have the Empire of Italia and what appears to be all of De Jure Thessalonika, and I'm unreformed Asatru. The only thing I can think of is that I formed a hybrid culture (Greco-Norse) because this poo poo was not gonna happen as long as Norse cultural heads refused to study siege weapons. But the achievement only says you have to be North Germanic Asatru so if there's a culture requirement, I'm not seeing it.

Btw, destroying the Papacy is immensely satisfying, would recommend.

When you say Greco-Norse, what is the heritage? It needs to be North Germanic heritage to count.

achievement trigger:
code:
        happened = {
                custom_description = {
                        text = miklagardariki_achievement_trigger
                        fp1_achievement_culture_plus_religion_norse_trigger = yes
                        completely_controls = title:k_thessalonika
                        highest_held_title_tier >= tier_empire
                        NOT = {
                                any_held_title = { this = title:e_byzantium }
                        }
                }
        }
}
fp1_achievement_culture_plus_religion_norse_trigger
code:
fp1_achievement_culture_plus_religion_norse_trigger = {
        fp1_achievement_culture_norse_trigger = yes
        fp1_achievement_religious_norse_trigger = yes
}
fp1_achievement_culture_norse_trigger
fp1_achievement_religious_norse_trigger

code:
fp1_achievement_culture_norse_trigger = {
        OR = {
                culture = { has_cultural_pillar = heritage_north_germanic }
                culture = culture:norman
        }
}

fp1_achievement_religious_norse_trigger = {
        religion = religion:germanic_religion
}

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

binge crotching posted:

When you say Greco-Norse, what is the heritage? It needs to be North Germanic heritage to count.

achievement trigger:
code:
        happened = {
                custom_description = {
                        text = miklagardariki_achievement_trigger
                        fp1_achievement_culture_plus_religion_norse_trigger = yes
                        completely_controls = title:k_thessalonika
                        highest_held_title_tier >= tier_empire
                        NOT = {
                                any_held_title = { this = title:e_byzantium }
                        }
                }
        }
}
fp1_achievement_culture_plus_religion_norse_trigger
code:
fp1_achievement_culture_plus_religion_norse_trigger = {
        fp1_achievement_culture_norse_trigger = yes
        fp1_achievement_religious_norse_trigger = yes
}
fp1_achievement_culture_norse_trigger
fp1_achievement_religious_norse_trigger

code:
fp1_achievement_culture_norse_trigger = {
        OR = {
                culture = { has_cultural_pillar = heritage_north_germanic }
                culture = culture:norman
        }
}

fp1_achievement_religious_norse_trigger = {
        religion = religion:germanic_religion
}

That might be it. I’ll check next time I play. If I’m reading the code right, I think I may be able to diverge culture and change the heritage.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
A thought I'm sure everyone has had, but I don't often see mentioned: Norse cultures have so much more going on comparative to any other culture. They can bat well above their weight. They get two unique renown trees. Unique cultural mechanics. They've got the best MAA in the game. Unique decisions. Unique techs. Etc. Etc...

They should strive to make all cultures so unique, but it's really just the one.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Well yes, they're the only ones with a DLC flavor pack so far.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

That might be it. I’ll check next time I play. If I’m reading the code right, I think I may be able to diverge culture and change the heritage.

Yep, changing back to North Germanic heritage should give it to you.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Dorkopotamis posted:

A thought I'm sure everyone has had, but I don't often see mentioned: Norse cultures have so much more going on comparative to any other culture. They can bat well above their weight. They get two unique renown trees. Unique cultural mechanics. They've got the best MAA in the game. Unique decisions. Unique techs. Etc. Etc...

They should strive to make all cultures so unique, but it's really just the one.

It was incredibly scuffed before royal court, literally everyone would play norse. Now there's more of a reason to start elsewhere, with other cultures getting good to broken traditions. Tbh, the norse traditions can be dropped after hybridizing (and filling your MAA slots with VVs)

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Dorkopotamis posted:

I think everyone agrees with this.

The hope is that after all the cultures get flavor packs everyone is equally op.

That's the hope anyway.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

binge crotching posted:

Yep, changing back to North Germanic heritage should give it to you.

Yep I accidentally went with Byzantine heritage (I didn’t think it mattered). Reforming culture won’t let me change the heritage so it looks like I have to try and pump up acceptance with Norwegian, Danish, or Swedish. None of which are anywhere near Italy lol.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Alternatively find a Norman or Norse province, conquer that poo poo, move your capital into it, and take the Convert to Local Culture decision and presto, cheevo.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

So as a Catholic owning the entire Empire of Italia (and more) except the Pope's clay, is it in some way worth messing with the Pope? I like hitting the money pinata every few years and being able to excommunicate people that piss me off so I can brutalize them without others getting antsy about it, but MY PRETTY BORDERS :negative:

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
1.5k gold every few years seems enough comp for border gore. Maybe I am just a pussy though

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

TorakFade posted:

So as a Catholic owning the entire Empire of Italia (and more) except the Pope's clay, is it in some way worth messing with the Pope? I like hitting the money pinata every few years and being able to excommunicate people that piss me off so I can brutalize them without others getting antsy about it, but MY PRETTY BORDERS :negative:

You can take his land in Italy, then grant them land somewhere else. Think of it as assisted moving, and the opinion from granting a couple counties outweighs the declare war malus. It's worth it to Unify Italy -> Restore Roman Empire

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

scaterry posted:

You can take his land in Italy, then grant them land somewhere else. Think of it as assisted moving, and the opinion from granting a couple counties outweighs the declare war malus. It's worth it to Unify Italy -> Restore Roman Empire

In my Matilda of Tuscany -> Roman Empire games, the Pope always ends up living as a vassal in the Papal reservation of Benevento. Not sure why it's always Benevento.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
My player character just hit 16 and was instantly given the trait drunkard. Err, did he pick that up from his guardian?

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Serephina posted:

My player character just hit 16 and was instantly given the trait drunkard. Err, did he pick that up from his guardian?

Heh. It's like a 5% chance when you send someone to college

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Serephina posted:

Yes, which I didn't realize was a possibility until my heir also turned into a 16 year old drunkard. Makes sense, I guess.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I don't think it's even related to University. I had it happen to my player character as I turned 16, well before there were universities down, just randomly a drunk now I guess. :shrug:

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
ah, found it. So there's a 2% chance to become a drunkard under 'results_of_university_education_points_effect', but it doesn't check that the child actually went to college for the drunkard chance. Seems like a bug

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

wizardofloneliness posted:

Yes, which I didn't realize was a possibility until my heir also turned into a 16 year old drunkard. Makes sense, I guess.

yeah, there's an event that occurs if the guardian is a drunkard or has one of the reveler traits.

edit: no, that one gives the kid progress in the reveler trait line. there's a bunch of people asking about this on the official pdx forum, too. :shrug:

No Pants fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 25, 2022

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I’ve definitely had that happen when they didn’t go to uni and the guardian had no related traits.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I keep trying to figure out which trait I hate the most and Greedy is at the top of my list right now. I vassalized a bunch of people at the same time, but I couldn’t grant them to their rightful Duke because the stress was killing me.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

SlothBear posted:

I’ve definitely had that happen when they didn’t go to uni and the guardian had no related traits.

Oh huh, when it happened to me, it was my drunkard character educating his son, so I just figured like father like son.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
God, there's so many details in this game that's just black magic. Like elope requires soulmates not just lovers apparently? Wiki's not totally right on the requirements, at the very least. Also what effects raid speed? Sometimes it's 10 days, sometimes its 40 months. Who knows!!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Serephina posted:

God, there's so many details in this game that's just black magic. Like elope requires soulmates not just lovers apparently? Wiki's not totally right on the requirements, at the very least. Also what effects raid speed? Sometimes it's 10 days, sometimes its 40 months. Who knows!!

I feel the same way about war score. I think I get most frustrated when I have devastated some guy down to like 100 guys vs. my 10,000 but I still have to siege three more towns before I can finally enforce demands.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Bird in a Blender posted:

I feel the same way about war score. I think I get most frustrated when I have devastated some guy down to like 100 guys vs. my 10,000 but I still have to siege three more towns before I can finally enforce demands.

You can get a maximum of 50% warscore from battles alone, for the rest you need to siege. It says so if you hover over the warscore.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Modern-day tool tips are hot garbage and it is one of the biggest gripes I have with games these days. Tons of games have 'pick option a for better x'. Ok assholes, how much better please.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

TjyvTompa posted:

You can get a maximum of 50% warscore from battles alone, for the rest you need to siege. It says so if you hover over the warscore.

Thanks, I never noticed that.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

TjyvTompa posted:

You can also take advantage of this if you're in at a 70/30 disadvantage in a defensive war. By getting the AI to break their siege to chase and beat your army, you can grind out a long war white peace. This is not fun and should be done at normal speed, but you can do it.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Any tips for Varangian Adventures?

I tried my first one in a test game by getting 10 counties in Scandinavia, going way over my demense limit (though in retrospect, I probably didn't need to personally hold all of them), and then kept conquesting counties until I got to within range for where I wanted to go (Madurai), at which point I hit the adventure and settled there. Apart from going way over the demense limit, it seemed pretty straightforward. Varangians as my MaA made my forces quite strong.

That said, I didn't reform Ásatrú before I left ... perhaps I should have? I also didn't get the Adventure legacy before going either.

Is that the general idea? Do folks reform Ásatrú before leaving? Pick up adventure legacy? Any other tips?

Was pretty cool to instantly feudalize when I invaded, though I wonder if I should go Stewardship instead of Martial with my custom character founder, since suddenly paying for a bunch of Varangians with gold instead of prestige was a bit tight, but Madurai is thankfully pretty good.

Was pretty hilarious getting to 10 grandeur when expectations were for 1 grandeur -- I read that as long as you stay at 19 or fewer counties, you'll have expectations of 1 grandeur.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Serephina posted:

Raid speed is proportional to simple number of raiders and the amount of loot in a province, occasionally modified by special buildings. Pretty sure it tells you if you mouse over the progress bar.

MikeC posted:

Modern-day tool tips are hot garbage and it is one of the biggest gripes I have with games these days. Tons of games have 'pick option a for better x'. Ok assholes, how much better please.

I dunno, specific numbers are very problematic in this game I think. The fact that you know exactly how many soldiers everybody has under their command is one of the things that makes the game way too simple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

PittTheElder posted:

I dunno, specific numbers are very problematic in this game I think. The fact that you know exactly how many soldiers everybody has under their command is one of the things that makes the game way too simple.
Yeah, I think there's a lot of people that have a hard-on for numbers. But a lot should be obscured. There's no way that I'd know, down to the man, how many levies a rival king could raise. Maybe if I was really good friends, or perhaps spent time at their court, or had spymasters getting that info etc. Same with gold level of foreign folks - maybe it can be descriptive or a range until you learn more.

Also, children should not be born and revealed to be a Herculean Genius Handsome Superbaby at 0 years old.

Not only does it make the eugenics lovers excited to cull the weak from birth, it doesn't make sense. IMO, level 1 of those traits should reveal themselves at 5 years old, 2nd level at 10, 3rd at 15.

I'm not sure if this would be easy to mod - but also unfortunately I prefer playing Ironman :(