Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

canepazzo posted:

quote:

The path ahead is now shorter than the path behind, and looking at the amount of graphics left to produce and the amount of menus to update, it looks like our earliest possible launch date would be in the fall.

Holy poo poo, there is a chance we have a playable version of this overhaul in the fall!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I have never experience a moment in life where a Dwarf Fortress "release" loomed over me, let alone had even a slippery timeline of UI release.

Before I was happy to wait another ten or fifteen years patiently as always, but now if it's December 2022 and we've no Steam DF release for me to own, I'll feel for the first time like DF is "late" for something. Weird DF feelings.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

It turns out time isn't subjective after all.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Dwarf Fortress 2022

Answer the call

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Dwarf Fortress being complete will always be in the future for me - it's one of those things that I can't imagine being complete, and that I don't want to be complete.

Which is odd, because it's the complete opposite of how I feel about a lot of other games, where I'll happily wait until they exit Early Access for the hope that I'm not going to be an unofficial QA tester.

So if it ever does finish, I'm gonna be very confused and a little sad.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Hasn't Tarn said this is basically his lifes work and he doesn't envision a 1.0 release for decades?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I was going to say. This isn’t even 1.0

It’s just the steam release of what we have with a better UI and some graphics. Probably an update. Whatever happened with that myth generator?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Popete posted:

Hasn't Tarn said this is basically his lifes work and he doesn't envision a 1.0 release for decades?
That sounded familiar, and indeed it is, because it's from an interview with what was then Gamasutra - so that's comforting.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm curios if Tarn & Adam realize they're probably going to become suddenly wealthy upon Steam release. He probably has an idea considering he's taking in a decent amount of money via Patreon already but I feel like there is going to be a huge out pouring of support for the Steam release even among people who don't play a lot of DF or have always been curious to try it. It's just been so influential and is looked upon by everyone as a seminal game, Tarn seems like a good dude so I think it's well deserved.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

IIRC He got spurred to do the steam release because his brother had nose cancer and he realized that he needed a lot more money so he wouldn't worry about being able to pay for healthcare in the future.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
having other developers take his original concept and make millions doing knockoffs of varying closeness may have also given him a little encouragement.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Flesh Forge posted:

having other developers take his original concept and make millions doing knockoffs of varying closeness may have also given him a little encouragement.

Honestly an impressive thing about DF is how despite all the knockoffs (many of which have a lot of quality of life improvements), it's still remained popular and unique. It's the sort of thing where like yeah, you can rip off the concept, but you can't rip off the decade of work he's already put into the game, or his willingness to go down a weird rabbit hole purely because it interests him.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Popete posted:

I'm curios if Tarn & Adam realize they're probably going to become suddenly wealthy upon Steam release. He probably has an idea considering he's taking in a decent amount of money via Patreon already but I feel like there is going to be a huge out pouring of support for the Steam release even among people who don't play a lot of DF or have always been curious to try it. It's just been so influential and is looked upon by everyone as a seminal game, Tarn seems like a good dude so I think it's well deserved.

idk about wealthy but I hope it covers all of their bills and medical expenses

unless that's what wealthy means now, which come to think, it probably does

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Honestly an impressive thing about DF is how despite all the knockoffs (many of which have a lot of quality of life improvements), it's still remained popular and unique. It's the sort of thing where like yeah, you can rip off the concept, but you can't rip off the decade of work he's already put into the game, or his willingness to go down a weird rabbit hole purely because it interests him.

The only DF-like I've ever really stuck with is Rimworld but it focuses on different things than DF and doesn't feel as much like a competitor as just inspired by. Any game that tries to be DF ultimately falls short because DF has been worked on for decades and it isn't easy to replicate the attention to detail. I'm thinking of the million Steam games that showed "great promise" until their creator realized how much effort creating a real DF game is and abandons it.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

they were doing alright with paypal donations before they even went to patreon, weren't they? Something along the lines of a six figure income, unless I'm wildly mistaken.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Appoda posted:

they were doing alright with paypal donations before they even went to patreon, weren't they? Something along the lines of a six figure income, unless I'm wildly mistaken.

They always did something like 3,000 a month.

It's super checkable.

edit: Oh poo poo let me make a spreadsheet. I love spreadsheets.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah I'm buying as soon as they add that button. I threw a donation at him a long time ago but I'm overdue.

Zesty posted:

I was going to say. This isn’t even 1.0

It’s just the steam release of what we have with a better UI and some graphics. Probably an update. Whatever happened with that myth generator?

I think part of why it's exciting is that I wasn't expecting him to even think about the UI until after he got content complete for his vision of a 1.0 which is essentially simulating the entire dwarf universe. Something I assume not possible in his own lifetime, so getting a UI update I wasn't expecting until after my own death is pretty cool.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

One thing I really like about DF is if there's something you want to do in a fortress, you can jump into doing it very quickly.

No research tree or money grind to build most buildings, nearly everything can be made out of unworked rock. Some things are a bit more complex to get going, but you have no arbitrary roadblocks to building whatever you want from the word go.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Appoda posted:

I was inspired so I made a spreadsheet of their earnings + version history + special events.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Wow, nice!

And yeah I must've had the wrong idea. In my mind they were doing "big release month" numbers every month. Still beats the poo poo out of what I make tho :v: Good for them.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Good for them, I always thought it would be a good idea to make an amazing game that everyone loves but I never put the hours in.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I need to see if I still have my crayon drawing rewards somewhere. I got two!

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I have some somewhere but I forget where or what I've done to them. Probably buried in an email attachment somewhere, right?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

while momentum and the game's development history definitely contribute, i think the fact that Dwarf Fortress is such a wildly non-commercial, even borderline outsider art game also helps. it attracted an audience enthusiastic enough to financially support one guy with relatively modest needs (until recently, at least) doing exactly what he wanted to do anyways, but no more than that -- and it's not even really catering to them so much as just overlapping

it means the game can be primarily driven by aesthetic goals, and that's just incredibly appealing and so, so rare

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Popete posted:

The only DF-like I've ever really stuck with is Rimworld but it focuses on different things than DF and doesn't feel as much like a competitor as just inspired by. Any game that tries to be DF ultimately falls short because DF has been worked on for decades and it isn't easy to replicate the attention to detail. I'm thinking of the million Steam games that showed "great promise" until their creator realized how much effort creating a real DF game is and abandons it.
Rimworld isn't really what I consider to be a direct DF-like, because in Rimworld you have more direct control over the survivors, whereas one of the central design decisions of DF is that you have no direct control over dorfs and can only tell them what needs to happen.

It's still an absolutely fantastic game, mind you.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
the lack of direct control in DF kind of falls apart the more you understand the UI, though. like you can have a fort where tasks just get taken up by whoever and with whatever materials, threats are fought off by the first 10 people you threw into a military unit and told to grab whatever armor/weapons, etc. and that's by far the most obvious / natural / low-friction way to play the game

but clever use of exclusions, burrows, squads, alerts, and custom-tailored orders will give you just as much power as you have in Rimworld and, frankly, arguably more than Rimworld because Dwarf Fortress has less outcome randomness

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Feb 24, 2022

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah you can definitely achieve the same level of direct per-entity control in DF as Rimworld, it's just that DF requires 17 steps to get there where Rimworld requires about 3.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The main thing I feel is missing from a lot of DF-likes is the damage system where everything has organs and body parts that can be damaged separately . Someone's teeth getting knocked out, a knife cutting so deep it chips bone, individual fingers sailing off in an arc, etc. etc. makes combat more fun and interesting even if it makes combat logs in larger battles insanely long and us often very janky (people randomly biting the teeth out of their foes mouth and such) Things just having a healthbar is boring.

This system should also be implemented in more rogue-likes so I'm not just pressing forward to make a number randomly go down like a loser.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah there are a lot of weird little design choices in DF that most DF copycats lop off. The problem is it's those precise weird choices -- individual modeling of individual tissue layers in each finger, different clothing and stone preferences and personalities for each dwarf, generating thousands of years of pre-history before each world, etc. -- that give DF the fractal magic that makes it generate stories that work as stories. Lost a hit point doesn't matter; lost a finger is a story.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

All the more so with the scar system and persistent worlds. I remember one fort that was attacked by the same goblin leader several times, with him being wounded repeatedly but escaping. Being able to look at the description and remember who made all those scars was a unique gaming moment.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Fellow dwarves, I bring ill tidings.

https://www.amusingplanet.com/2018/11/the-salt-mining-elephants-of-mount-elgon.html

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

:stare:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So apparently I can now lead missions to both raid, pillage, exact tribute and other stuff, but how do I do it? For one thing, I can't seem to find tribute. No matter if I select a goblin cave from a civ I'm at war with, or a dwarven hillock from my own civ, I ONLY get the option to raid them. Pillage, Raze etc. doesn't show up either.

What am I doing wrong? I want a tributary so I can get a baron to shove into a pit of lava.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Tias posted:

So apparently I can now lead missions to both raid, pillage, exact tribute and other stuff, but how do I do it? For one thing, I can't seem to find tribute. No matter if I select a goblin cave from a civ I'm at war with, or a dwarven hillock from my own civ, I ONLY get the option to raid them. Pillage, Raze etc. doesn't show up either.

What am I doing wrong? I want a tributary so I can get a baron to shove into a pit of lava.

I think you hit d over Raid to pick other types.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
One of the best parts of Dwarf Fortress is that you never know which needlessly complex system Tarn will decide to tackle next. Is it an extremely true to life beekeeping update? Are cloud formations being simulated based on weather conditions? Every update brings something new to explore.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
"needlessly," smh

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Calling them needless is fighting words.

Dorfs need these things!

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
Condensation Update When??

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

thats cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

necrotic posted:

I think you hit d over Raid to pick other types.

This was it, thanks!

Also, I find myself with a veritable flood of goblin, troll and beak dog bits stuck to my trap corridor. In spite of having a huge refuse stock pile specifically set to goblin, troll and beak dog corpses, teeth and body parts, they don't get carried up there. What gives?