Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The token is legendary so you won't have those issues.

Though I guess if you copied the original, you could sac the original and keep the token and get the 4 exiled tokens back. Sac'ing the copy wouldn't do anything since it has no 'memory' of any artifacts exiled to bring it into play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whiggles
Dec 19, 2003

TEAM EDWARD
Played in my first ever LGS draft event, went 2-1 after cracking open the Jugan saga and the white mythic dragon in two packs. Stuffed a bunch of doggies in there to make sure I ended up finding my bombs and then proceeded to draft every saga I came across.

I dropped the first set cause dude played me to a stalemate with the BR artifact deck, he pumped out a ton of constructs every turn that shut off any way for me to bust through with my bangers. That went on until he pulled the 10 direct damage red card as the last card in his deck. (We only got one game in during that set due to the board stalling out.) Good play on his part, just a bit dull/frustrating.

Super fun overall though! Plan on heading back a couple more times during this set.

whiggles fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 22, 2022

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

whiggles posted:

Played in my first ever LGS draft event, went 2-1 after cracking open the Jugan saga and the white mythic dragon in two packs. Stuffed a bunch of doggies in there to make sure I ended up finding my bombs and then proceeded to draft every saga I came across.

I dropped the first set cause dude played me to a stalemate with the BR artifact deck, he pumped out a ton of constructs every turn that shut off any way for me to bust through with my bangers. That went on until he pulled the 10 direct damage red card as the last card in his deck. (We only got one game in during that set due to the board stalling out.) Good play on his part, just a bit dull/frustrating.

Super fun overall though! Plan on heading back a couple more times during this set.

Learning how to play fast in a stall is an acquired skill. Determining what stays relevant and what becomes invalidated by your draw (usually not much since you're stalled) instantly becomes pretty important if you want to finish the match.

Some assholes at my prerelease took a round 15 minutes past time just to tie 0-0-1 :getout:

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The token is legendary so you won't have those issues.

That's what The Mirror Box is for.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Aniodia posted:

So apparently one of my buddies (and former boss) is like, top 50 in Mythic on Arena. Kinda wild, because while I knew he played casually, I didn't know he even played Arena, let alone was good at it.

Also, I love the hell out of Isshin's design, and feel like this is the Mardu Commander I've been waiting for. Pretty stoked to take a day off from work to sit down and brainstorm a deck for him.

i was chatting with a friend of mine about the game and he said he uninstalled because it was too easy. he was #26!!!

whiggles
Dec 19, 2003

TEAM EDWARD

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Learning how to play fast in a stall is an acquired skill. Determining what stays relevant and what becomes invalidated by your draw (usually not much since you're stalled) instantly becomes pretty important if you want to finish the match.

Some assholes at my prerelease took a round 15 minutes past time just to tie 0-0-1 :getout:

Yeah, I was definitely struggling to determine if I had a way in once the board became filled with a mess of spirits and constructs and make shift tokens. Once I felt confident I did not have an opening to attack it went more quickly from turn to turn.

My biggest regret was rushing myself too much near the end and as a result I missed a possible opening to buff a trampler with Jugan that could have busted through the line. The guy I was playing with was very seasoned and moved very quickly so I felt a bit intimidated. Good reminder to keep that in check. Possibly even concede earlier on so there's a chance I could still take the second match. A lot to consider in the heat of battle!

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

i was chatting with a friend of mine about the game and he said he uninstalled because it was too easy. he was #26!!!

This is how people end up hacking into national defense super computers to challenge them to tic-tac-toe, I imagine

whiggles fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 22, 2022

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

What format/deck was he playing

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
The only time I’ve been high mythic was when I played Lukka Fires with Agent of Treachery and then never got there again ever so I’m convinced it was just the deck was OP

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

if he's open to pioneer/modern, he should probably check out mtgo -- I think the general player skill on there is higher

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

it's honestly hosed up. he'd never played mtg before and spent like $20 on the game. he reinstalled when I got back into it and got into mythic in a week with some loving stupid cat deck

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

some loving stupid cat deck

do you mean the stupid loving cat deck?

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
He was probably playing an off-meta deck and getting matched against other off-meta decks

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Your ranking is also not your MMR and the two are not connected at all (MMR is invisible). This means if you really wanted to it's pretty easy to just concede a lot of games at a rank where you won't get demoted for losing until your MMR is like -7000 and then winstreak your way to Mythic trivially since you're only getting paired against the absolute worst player possible even if you're at high Diamond.

whiggles
Dec 19, 2003

TEAM EDWARD
A powerful idea.

Excited to place Eye Tribal as the #1 first place Mythic champ.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Here's hoping the ukiyo-e full art lands can continue to drop in price. There's no way these things can hold onto prices over a 50 cents each, right? They would still be more expensive than the Zendikar Rising full art lands, and this seems like a set people will buy in greater quantities.

The Shie Nanahara swamp is better than any of the John Avon swamps, I think.
https://scryfall.com/card/neo/298/ja/swamp

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
Are there any good resources (both for learning and buying cards) geared towards younger players? My son is 5 and just massively getting into the game but we're learning it together as I've never played before.

EDIT: Also I played a bit online via MTG:Arena and whilst eventually I was able to consistently beat the bots, on my first online match I was annihilated (naturally). I don't mind losing but the opponent's deck was basically incomprehensible to me, displaying multiple mechanics I'd never seen before. How steep is the learning curve here?

Instant EDIT: Are the quests in MTG:Arena bugged? I can't seem to progress one that wants me to play Red & Green cards to unlock a Blue & White deck.

Jables88 fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Feb 23, 2022

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

Major Operation posted:

Here's hoping the ukiyo-e full art lands can continue to drop in price. There's no way these things can hold onto prices over a 50 cents each, right? They would still be more expensive than the Zendikar Rising full art lands, and this seems like a set people will buy in greater quantities.

The Shie Nanahara swamp is better than any of the John Avon swamps, I think.
https://scryfall.com/card/neo/298/ja/swamp

The full art lands of Theros are $1ish, with plains cheaper. Those were 1 per pack, and as far as I’m aware, it’s been pretty stable at that price. These are 1 per 3 packs and probably more place popular. I think the nicer ones will stay above $2

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Jables88 posted:

Are there any good resources (both for learning and buying cards) geared towards younger players? My son is 5 and just massively getting into the game but we're learning it together as I've never played before.

EDIT: Also I played a bit online via MTG:Arena and whilst eventually I was able to consistently beat the bots, on my first online match I was annihilated (naturally). I don't mind losing but the opponent's deck was basically incomprehensible to me, displaying multiple mechanics I'd never seen before. How steep is the learning curve here?

Instant EDIT: Are the quests in MTG:Arena bugged? I can't seem to progress one that wants me to play Red & Green cards to unlock a Blue & White deck.

I mean age 5 is pretty young, my 9 year old son though routinely beats the poo poo out of my casual commander group with his Gishath deck even though I still have to help him shuffle

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Welp, Standard is going to need to have bans again.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Oh word?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I agree at 5 being too young. They need to be able to read at near-adult speed to have the actual mechanics of the game stick in their heads while they play. 9-10 was about right for my oldest.

I tried with her when she was 6-7 and I could see her getting really frustrated wanting to please me but struggling to keep up, so I dropped it. I didn't want it to become, "the game daddy plays that makes me frustrated." She plays arena with me now and has a good time.

I'm sure there's some exception to that rule for gifted 5-7 year olds, but being a fast, smooth reader is the trick.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

What do you want banned Lieutenant?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
luminarch aspirant probably should go as even its nerfed version is pretty great and is one of the reasons why mono-w is still the best deck in standard (along with brutal cathar). it seems to be the main reason why enchantments isn't running away with the meta entirely, though, and if they're gonna hit that deck at all weaver of harmony is probably not very long for the world

but it's way too early to call for bans on the selesnya enchantment deck imo

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Are you talking bo1? I don't think either deck has been all that great in bo3 since kami

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=34794&d=463438&f=LE

Congratulations to my friend Blastoise for becoming a Legacy superstar

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Are you talking bo1? I don't think either deck has been all that great in bo3 since kami

i was looking at untapped's stats for bo1 and bo3 but there's unfortunatelly a lot less data for bo3 and most of it seems to be the same decks from the previous meta (but it still has mono-w as the best deck plat to mythic, followed by selesnya landfall and naya aggro)

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Shambling Ghast is way too prevalent I agree

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Barry Shitpeas posted:

He was probably playing an off-meta deck and getting matched against other off-meta decks

That’s not how it works that high up

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

TheKingofSprings posted:

"this card needs a mana reduction ability. It won't be problematic if there are restrictshunz!" *shoots self in foot for the 1000th time*
"making things untargetable won't be problematic if there are restrictshunz!" *shoots self in foot for the 1001st time*
"artifact synergy's are fun! As long as it is color restricted to the best color in legacy and vintage it won't be problematic!" * shoots self in foot for the 1002nd time*

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

jassi007 posted:

"this card needs a mana reduction ability. It won't be problematic if there are restrictshunz!" *shoots self in foot for the 1000th time*
"making things untargetable won't be problematic if there are restrictshunz!" *shoots self in foot for the 1001st time*
"artifact synergy's are fun! As long as it is color restricted to the best color in legacy and vintage it won't be problematic!" * shoots self in foot for the 1002nd time*

You okay? You should see a doctor about your foot

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

jassi007 posted:

sudden edict. plague engineer naming Thopter if you need to. I don't see the problem here

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I thought it was obvious that Cannonneer would be good in Legacy/Vintage and also is it a problem? Maybe if the meta becomes entirely 8cast for whatever reason but I don't think a giant beater with no evasion pushes it over the top.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Ultima66 posted:

I thought it was obvious that Cannonneer would be good in Legacy/Vintage and also is it a problem? Maybe if the meta becomes entirely 8cast for whatever reason but I don't think a giant beater with no evasion pushes it over the top.

It's literally unblockable

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nahhhhhhhhhh

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TheKingofSprings posted:

lol this is my local store's 1K. I wouldn't read too much into it. That dude always plays affinity in every format. (i do think cannoneer is good)

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 23, 2022

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I don't play Legacy but from top to bottom that card just seems designed to cause problems lol. Always cool to see new cards doing work tho, good job turtle.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

fadam posted:

I don't play Legacy but from top to bottom that card just seems designed to cause problems lol. Always cool to see new cards doing work tho, good job turtle.

It's pretty much true name that you can cast on turn 2 sometimes and kills way faster

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Ultima66 posted:

Where are you going to find 5-6 mana to interact with it in legacy/vintage? I love the card but pretending it doesn't functionally have hexproof is how we got here in the first place

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

lol I guess because you can only get that Turtle out of Treasure Chests it's like 100 tix on MODO
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Kamigawa+Neon+Dynasty+Commander/Kappa+Cannoneer#online

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

PleasantDirge posted:

Where are you going to find 5-6 mana to interact with it in legacy/vintage? I love the card but pretending it doesn't functionally have hexproof is how we got here in the first place

You have to terminus it or you have to kill them before they untap with it twice usually.