Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I hope I like it. People get tons of enjoyment out of the soulsborne games and I can't stand them and I always feel like I'm missing out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I didn't like Sekiro, but it seems like they're getting back to RPG mechanics in a big way for this one so I'm excited. There's no way the combat will be as good as Nioh 2, but I know that going in so it won't be a disappointment :v:

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

My main hangup on Souls games difficulty (that I got over and beat 1-3 anyway) was just how long dying set you back. The runback to where you died took so long usually that it pissed me off. Elden Rings it sounds fixes that mostly by having you respawn a lot closer to the action so I'm excited by that.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
My worry with Elden Ring is that I absolutely adored Sekiro and its combat system (the mikiri counter might be the most satisfying move put to video) and I'm afraid this will feel like a step back in that respect.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Zeron posted:

My main hangup on Souls games difficulty (that I got over and beat 1-3 anyway) was just how long dying set you back. The runback to where you died took so long usually that it pissed me off. Elden Rings it sounds fixes that mostly by having you respawn a lot closer to the action so I'm excited by that.

Same for me, doubly so because I found fighting regular filler enemies to be mostly tedious. It got to the point where I was actively avoiding exploring or engaging with new enemy types since the risk just didn't seem worth it, which was about the point where I bailed on it. Sekiro was a massive improvement in those respects by giving you lightning fast traversal and encouraging aggression in fights. Really hoping Elden Ring incorporated a bit of that.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

GRRM is / was a pretty good worldbuilder when he actually wrote stuff imo. He's fallen out of favor more for the stuff he hasn't written. I like the methodology From used here too -- have him write the Silmarillion equivalent then do the actual stuff thousands of years later so bits you don't like can just be alluded to or be mysterious.

I hope game good. Pre-loaded for the first time in a long time, just 'cause catching these games on release is often the best experience.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well FROM just loves the world used to be a thing but now it isn’t.

I would be interested if they changed it up a bit

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well FROM just loves the world used to be a thing but now it isn’t.

I would be interested if they changed it up a bit

From the sounds of it, Elden Ring is a (small) step away from that. There are more NPCs and they're more talkative than before, the world feels livelier in general, they wanted big fantastic living setpieces as part of the world. It's still a post-apocalyptic fantasy thing though.

"Desolate Romance" was the term they used to describe the mood they were going for with the setting. With the "Romance" part referring to the beauty of parts of the world that are still alive and thriving, sort of.

I don't think the world is "over" so much as it's just broken up a bit but I could be totally wrong on that

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 23, 2022

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

zoux posted:

I hope I like it. People get tons of enjoyment out of the soulsborne games and I can't stand them and I always feel like I'm missing out.

some people get tons of enjoyment out of the big bang theory does that make you feel like you're missing out

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

baringa

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Elden Ring already seems better than any previous Souls game because it looks like those little annoying poo poo skeleons only want to kill you every 20 feet instead of every 10.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

little annoying poo poo skeletons wanting to kill you density is actually a metric of how good it is, having them be sparser means it's worse actually

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

I think Elden Ring should have guitar solos with skeletons

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Ah drat it. I was hoping Elden Ring was gonna suck so i didn't have to upgrade my PC

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Just a reminder of what pre-release review scores look like.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

HenryEx posted:

Ah drat it. I was hoping Elden Ring was gonna suck so i didn't have to upgrade my PC

You can watch a stream of it while mimicking their actions with a controller in your hand

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

HenryEx posted:

i mean there's still a non zero chance this is just an overwhelming amount of triple a hype for a lackluster product that will be the talk of the town for a week and then vanish

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Cowcaster posted:

i mean there's still a non zero chance this is just an overwhelming amount of triple a hype for a lackluster product that will be the talk of the town for a week and then vanish

Isn't this every game that goons love? Oh you meant hype OFF of the forums.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

some people get tons of enjoyment out of the big bang theory does that make you feel like you're missing out

There's going to be a Big Bang Theory DLC for Elden Ring titled Sheldon Ring

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Mordja posted:

My worry with Elden Ring is that I absolutely adored Sekiro and its combat system (the mikiri counter might be the most satisfying move put to video) and I'm afraid this will feel like a step back in that respect.

apparently one of the key mechanics to keep combat flowing instead of the borderline hoplite shield play of dank souls games is a counter off block, both with a shield and with two handers, so you (and I) might be happy with that

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
FROM had to spend tens of millions of dollars to bribe all those reviewers and influencers. Shameful.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Are there any new Halo Infinite BTB maps for multiplayer or is it still just the ones that launched with the game?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Steam Thread: Sheldon Ring

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Kennel posted:

FROM had to spend tens of millions of dollars to bribe all those reviewers and influencers. Shameful.
it took this long to come out because each bribe was an illuminated manuscript

Veotax
May 16, 2006

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Are there any new Halo Infinite BTB maps for multiplayer or is it still just the ones that launched with the game?

There have been no new maps period since Infinite launched. I'd imagine new maps are probably coming with season 2, but that's still months out I think.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Not normally my type of game, but the demo for IXION is really impressive, definitely got me interested.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Hogama posted:

I think Elden Ring should have guitar solos with skeletons

Mr Bones loving rules

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Veotax posted:

There have been no new maps period since Infinite launched. I'd imagine new maps are probably coming with season 2, but that's still months out I think.

Dang, ok thanks!

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Tossed the SNES FFVI font in the Pixel Remaster, and that’s the nostalgic stuff right there.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm kind of done with Dark Souls-like games, I'm so tired of the formula. it's so mentally exhausting being "on" for every fight with trash mobs until you learn their pattern and then just run past them to fight the boss you keep dying at.

but now I'm watching someone play and I want to play it

what's wrong with me :cripes:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

what's wrong with me :cripes:
It's in your blood but it got old.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Hogama posted:

It's in your blood but it got old.

It's in my blood but It got old.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

If I ever end up playing ER online, I will make this my PvP build character

I wonder what the next broken and unbalanced PvP meme build will be. Been a long time since stuff like Havelyn or Raw rear end were a thing

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Something cool that's related to the pixel art discussion is that Ben Chandler (artist for Technobabylon, Shardlight, & Unavowed) has been doing a series of what games would look like as low-res adventure games.

https://twitter.com/ben_304/status/1494716734221127680

https://twitter.com/ben_304/status/1493980313617195008

Edit: Yep! Wow indeed!

Rebel Blob fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 24, 2022

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Wow?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

VideoGames posted:

Do not argue about Dark Souls 2 and Elden Ring and who does not want to play the game the most, please.

This avatar rules!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

VideoGames posted:

Do not argue about Dark Souls 2 and Elden Ring and who does not want to play the game the most, please.

This is the overwhelming sentiment in most places right now. Can’t speak as to why, but the same discussion is taking place below the reviews.