Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

What is this thread about and why does it not have the bYOB stylesheet despite being in BYOB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

christmas boots posted:

The name “chili con carne” implies the existence of a “chili sin carne”

Yes it's called "vegan chili con carne"
https://www.alphafoodie.com/simple-vegan-chili-con-carne/

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

vegan chili con carne

:supaburn:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Fffffuuuuuuuuucccccckkkkkkkk. Yyyyyyyoooooooouuuuuuu

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Lmao

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Even with the “contains chilis” definition of chili that fails.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

christmas boots posted:

Some concepts in theoretical gastronomy shouldn't be put into practice.

“Your vegans were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.”

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Do jalapeno poppers count as chili?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

Do jalapeno poppers count as chili?

Only if they have beans inside

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

We need one of those chargs that starts with "Chili con carne is chili" and ends eith "captain crunch is chili"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

RFC2324 posted:

Fffffuuuuuuuuucccccckkkkkkkk. Yyyyyyyoooooooouuuuuuu

That's exactly how I reacted the first time I saw that poo poo so I'm glad I could pass the experience on to others. :v:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

Also, someone gots to post the fat pussy.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
:evilbuddy: AOL speak :evilbuddy:

JonGP3 posted:

driving while high, while i do this pretty often and im generally ok and a some what better driver while high, every now and then i will stop for a green light.. lately i catch myself before i come to a complete stop.. but i've caught myself many times late at night stopped at a green light.. anyone else do this? my friends have all admitted to doing this at least once. Is this illegal? I figured if i got pulled over for it i would just tell the cop i was being cautious.. i thought i saw a drunk driver coming? altho i doubt this would work..

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

:thaoldme: Won't stop using AOL speak. :thaoldme:

JonGP3 posted:

if your going to be living in college station pretty much anyone you move in with shouldn't have a big problem with it.. 70% of the town is made up of college aged kids. It's proably better in some ways you dont move in with fellow pot heads.. you'll end up smoking all the time.. and have to worry about ur roommates steeling or using your weed/lighters/pieces.
Just when interviewing ask them if u can smoke in ur room with the window open and the door closed... most roommates shouldn't care what you do in the privacy in your own room. But you'd be surprised how many pot heads are in that area.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Lol that mod's name is Shadowstar. Let he who is without cringe cast the first stone

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Outrail posted:

Some concepts in theoretical gastronomy shouldn't be put into practice.

“Your vegans were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.”

honestly, vegans have a pretty good idea of what's up if you actually taste things. like, no-egg vegan baking is this horrible sounding thing involving tons of vinegar and it really feels like it SHOULDN'T WORK and then you taste the final product and it's fine? and i've been to vegan thanksgivings, instead of roast birds they do stuffing as a thing inside of baking a loaf of bread and it tastes pretty good, the texture/consistency/seasoning is all on.

is it the same as the original meat thing? no
am i gonna replace my own turkey dinners with vegan bread loaves? no

but if someone said "hey, do you want to try this vegan version of whatever" yeah, it's not gonna hurt me (me specifically, with no food sensitivities) and it'll be alright.

they're loving wizards and mad scientists and the end product at worst is just inoffensive and kind of bland. go for it. expand your boundaries.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
There’s so much delicious vegan food that isn’t pretending to be meat that I just don’t understand the point besides “I miss this meat thing”. Which is fine, but it’s kinda like wearing shoes that look like leather. You’re just perpetuating the use of leather in fashion.

But to each their own, I’ll try whatever meal is put in front of me. Never would have thought I’d like babaganoush if I didn’t try it. Stuff looks like wallpaper paste.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I have a weird thing where I love every food the first time I try it, doesn't matter what it is. The novelty overrides everything else in my brain. I can recognise when it's happening now, but for a long time I would happily order that weird thing I liked last time and be disappointed with no idea why

The durian milkshake was not good the second time

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

tell me you don't speak Spanish without telling me you don't speak Spanish lmao

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

flavor.flv posted:

I have a weird thing where I love every food the first time I try it, doesn't matter what it is. The novelty overrides everything else in my brain. I can recognise when it's happening now, but for a long time I would happily order that weird thing I liked last time and be disappointed with no idea why

The durian milkshake was not good the second time

just before the pandemic happened i went to a fancy sushi/asian fusion place for a birthday party with friends, they had both fish heads and chicken feet on the menu and i tried both, gamely

i am intensely white so I didn't really have any idea what i was getting into or how to eat either but the fish head was great, eyes are delicious, and i hated the chicken feet. but it was in like a sweet and sour sauce and apparently that's not how chicken feet are usually presented so okay, I'll try another one in a different style elsewhere before giving up on it forever

try things twice. sometimes you didn't like the preparation or whatever the first time. my mom ended up with one of her simple easy meals the kids loved on a long day being fuckin escargot, and that was rad. come home, HELL YEAH IT'S SNAILS DAY. would gladly have more snails nowadays.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Robobot posted:

There’s so much delicious vegan food that isn’t pretending to be meat that I just don’t understand the point besides “I miss this meat thing”. Which is fine, but it’s kinda like wearing shoes that look like leather. You’re just perpetuating the use of leather in fashion.

But to each their own, I’ll try whatever meal is put in front of me. Never would have thought I’d like babaganoush if I didn’t try it. Stuff looks like wallpaper paste.

There's also a ton of delicious vegan food that "pretends" to be meat, and its novelty is kind of fun. I went to a "Vegan Butcher Shop" that listed out the different fake meats. None of it was "oh hey this is Hamburger" it was more like "check it out, vegan chorizo!"

It turns out if you take a plant-based meat substitute and season it like it is chorizo, it's pretty drat good

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Seasoning does a lot of heavy lifting in nearly every dish regardless of meat being present or not. You could put blackening seasoning on an old shoe and I’d eat it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

When I was a kid my parents would regularly have a butcher come by to take apart one or two sides of a pig that they'd buy from a local farm who would slaughter them.

One time while I was busy helping out the butcher, there was a knock at the door.
I went to open the door as everyone had their hands full, and happened to be wearing an old shirt with holes that was white and had had a spatter of blood stain across the chest, but I hadn't thought of it when I went to the door to open it.

When I opened it, two people who were very obviously from Jehovah Witnesses were standing there, and their mouths just fell open slightly.
Then they turned around and went away.

There has never since been a Jehovah Witness to visit my parents' house.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Arivia posted:

i am intensely white so I didn't really have any idea what i was getting into or how to eat either but the fish head was great, eyes are delicious, and i hated the chicken feet. but it was in like a sweet and sour sauce and apparently that's not how chicken feet are usually presented so okay, I'll try another one in a different style elsewhere before giving up on it forever

I had a friend who went to China and brought back a huge assortment of weird snacks. I ended up getting all the chicken feet because nobody else wanted to even try them.

They were pretty good, tasted mostly of ginger. I don't remember if she outright told me or I just assumed that they don't really taste like anything on their own and are mostly just a vehicle for spices, but that's my read on them.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Must have thought he was in the middle of a blood transfusion.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
A coworker came back from Japan with dried mini crabs you eat whole and I was the only one who wanted to take it. Sucks that I can't easily source more of them because god drat they were good.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Chicken feet are quite palatable but you really wanna buy the deboned kind.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

New IPv6 fuckup, currently embargoed, but rumor is that it's an ICMP DoS affecting specific linux kernels.
It should be here when it's released:
https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2022-20742
Anyone in the wider community talking about it yet?

Rufus Ping posted:

is "the wider community" a euphemism for the overweight

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I suppose they would be able to cover the problem space.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Dameius posted:

A coworker came back from Japan with dried mini crabs you eat whole and I was the only one who wanted to take it. Sucks that I can't easily source more of them because god drat they were good.

I would annihilate these crabs.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Dameius posted:

A coworker came back from Japan with dried mini crabs

Yet when I do that, I'm considered a pariah.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Marcade posted:

Yet when I do that, I'm considered a pariah.

Probably because you won't share them with the rest of the office

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

Probably because you won't share them with the rest of the office

Whenever i offer to share my crabs with the rest of the office, no one ever takes me up on it, and they all just keep their distance :smith:

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Crab Pariah is my favorite Gorillaz album, by the way.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

HenryEx posted:

Whenever i offer to share my crabs with the rest of the office, no one ever takes me up on it, and they all just keep their distance :smith:

It's because they expect the crabs to be mini, not the place where they live.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Dameius posted:

My girlfriend and I bought some of these last weekend. Or the Korean equivalent, I guess. She really liked them, but I’m not a big fan of crab and they were VERY crabby. Was hoping they’d taste more like spice than crab.

They may be one of the crunchiest things I’ve ever eaten though. There was also this squid and peanut snack cracker thing that I absolutely loved. And this really light cake I enjoyed. Also bought and grilled a whole red snapper.

All in whole trip was like $20 and we got a few more snacks we’ve had before (shrimp chips and this kimchi seaweed chip that is simply amazing).

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Robobot posted:

Yeah, while I eat meat I'm completely fine with eating Vegan meals, whatever, but the second there's that ultra-processed meat substitute poo poo in something I'm basically not interested.

Like, don't try to even pretend that Vegan "Cheese" isn't just a stodgy substrate made of hate and sadness.

The worst pizza I ever had was at a pizzeria that I decided to try on a whim and which I didn't notice at first glance was actually a vegan pizzeria. Like, nothing in the google entry said anything about it being vegan and all of the menu items just had the normal name of the pizza, y'know, Ham & Cheese, Pepperoni, Supreme etc. It was even divided into "Meat Pizzas" and "Veggie Pizzas" sections, so it looked like a regular pizzeria with vegetarian options. The only clue to it that I could have possibly noticed before I ordered was a tiny bit of 6-point text right down the bottom of the menu, sandwiched between the disclaimer about possible gluten cross-contamination and the request to inform about allergies. It had a little old Italian couple and what I assume was their son working there. They didn't have a Marinara i.e. an actual cheese-free pizza option that I would have happily eaten, but what they did have was a Margherita topped with the saddest yellow substance that covered the top of the pizza in a thin web of dry, crumbly foulness that had desiccated rather than melted. There are a million ways to make a tasty pizza without dairy products which I would have happily enjoyed, but thanks to the overwhelming trend of providing lovely direct substitutes for nonvegan ingredients there was literally nothing on the menu that would have been palatable - they literally had no pizzas in their Vego section without cheese, just pizzas with cheese substitutes. I just checked and the joint has pivoted to primarily making burgers now, so the broader customer base likely agreed with me about how bad it was.

The nutrition information on fake meats is also frankly alarming too. I don't eat mushrooms due to allergies, but even then a Vegan burger with a well-grilled massive mushroom cap on it looks far more appetizing than something with that sad fake meat on it, and seems healthier as well.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Breetai posted:

The nutrition information on fake meats is also frankly alarming too. I don't eat mushrooms due to allergies, but even then a Vegan burger with a well-grilled massive mushroom cap on it looks far more appetizing than something with that sad fake meat on it, and seems healthier as well.

I like Beyond burgers a lot, but it was a revelation when I finally looked at the nutrition and it was like, "oh, it tastes good because it's as unhealthy or worse for you than a fairly fatty burger" :ms:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

There are a lot of really good vegan cheeses now, if you haven't tried them in the last couple years.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

christmas boots posted:

I think that's what happens if you don't use a condom and aren't careful picking your sexual partner. Antibiotics will be required.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I had a friend who went to China and brought back a huge assortment of weird snacks. I ended up getting all the chicken feet because nobody else wanted to even try them.

They were pretty good, tasted mostly of ginger. I don't remember if she outright told me or I just assumed that they don't really taste like anything on their own and are mostly just a vehicle for spices, but that's my read on them.

I wonder if it's different pre-packaged versus cooked to serve, like if you ordered really thinly sliced fried potatoes at a fancy restaurant versus just grabbing a bag of Lays at the supermarket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

is there a thread you haven't had a meltdown in?

Dolphin posted:

Post a good post.

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

Punishment reason: Sending death threats in PMs.