Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so what are the chances of this being a bloody occupation and turning into another Afghanistan for Russia where everyone pumps weapons into the various resistance groups.

50/50? That's really hard to say because we don't know what approach Russia is going to take to major cities. If they straight up flatten major urban centers using artillery, Russia's gonna have a hard time paying its bills because everyone is going to cut them off militarily and economically.

We're really on untrodden ground here. Ukraine isn't like Afghanistan where armed groups can stay "organized" in unreachable parts of the country. There aren't mountain ranges in eastern Ukraine and it's very open land, the only places you can have an organized resistance group that Russia won't be able to readily find will be in cities.

The whole thing sucks.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

It is utterly surreal that a major war is about to kick off in Europe. The global political arena is about to see a massive shift again. At least as big as the one caused by 9/11.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
The mobile crematoriums will be good for hiding the bodies of Ukrainian civilians too. Plus they give you a one-step method for disappearance of Ukrainian politicians, resistance and so on.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

I feel like im dissociating lol

Million of people i care about are going to get slaughtered in like the next week and there's absolutely nothing i can do but watch

I don't even get to know that the cavalry's coming because the cavalry has explicitly and specifically decided that who cares about a few stupid slavs having a fight

That would in most universes be me over there about to get gutted lol

I can't even begin to imagine how awful that must be. I hope you and those near and dear to you stay safe, and that there is as little bloodshed as possible from whatever happens. I wish I had been correct in my initial assessment that Putin wouldn't take things as far as he has.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so what are the chances of this being a bloody occupation and turning into another Afghanistan for Russia where everyone pumps weapons into the various resistance groups. because i feel like that will be worse for the russians then anything. most of their recent wars were them taking relatively russia friendly territories against smaller countries with shorter notice or being merc/military support for assad.

its more likely that ukraine would be forced to capitulate out of humanitarian reasons before it turns into another afghanistan. the thing about afghanistan was that it was similar to vietnam for america, where the larger state was backing up a local puppet regime against a populist insurgency (except there was no north afghanistan in this scenario, but it's vaguely similar enough). ukrainian irregular resistance fighters aren't going to be as important as the actual ukrainian military, which is going to still exist in whatever slice of ukraine they are able to hold on to. so, there is no reason to arm a people's ukraine militia, when you can just continue arming the actual armed forces of ukraine

it is very doubtful russia will be able to sweep the entire country, though a quick drive to sieze the capital in kyiv may be possible, and the outcome of this whole thing is most likely just russia slicing off portions of ukraine rather than trying to keep the whole country as a new province

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so what are the chances of this being a bloody occupation and turning into another Afghanistan for Russia where everyone pumps weapons into the various resistance groups. because i feel like that will be worse for the russians then anything. most of their recent wars were them taking relatively russia friendly territories against smaller countries with shorter notice or being merc/military support for assad.

Very low if Russia sticks to Eastern Ukraine. Even with support from the West fact is a) Ukrainian geography simply doesn't lend itself to allowing militia groups to operate on a level that'd challenge an occupation force, and b) Russia is brutally effective at crushing such groups.

The greatest insurgency threat to a Russian occupation would be terrorism, and that just means more dead civilians. Ukrainians killing Ukrainians, in fact.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Looks like its diverted to Kyiv. Its changed direction and begun a descent.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

CommieGIR posted:

I've added !!READ OP WARNING!! to the title. hopefully that'll get people's attention

Thanks, that's great.

DTurtle posted:

It is utterly surreal that a major war is about to kick off in Europe. The global political arena is about to see a massive shift again. At least as big as the one caused by 9/11.

Yeah it doesn't feel real right now, I'm sure I'll be chocked into reality soon.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Thanks for the kind words everyone. It's just not something I was expecting. They tell you in history school these kinds of wars are over, you know? The world order doesn't let them happen.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Ukraine is a steppe (except a small western portion). There are no mountains, no jungles to wage irregular warfare. The whole country is easily navigable with developed infrastructure. The cities can be bypassed and isolated.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Ukraine is a steppe (except a small western portion). There are no mountains, no jungles to wage irregular warfare. The whole country is easily navigable with developed infrastructure. The cities can be bypassed and isolated.

Iraq.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Fuligin posted:

*clumsily fumbling across chart coveres desk fir my telephone&* 'FORGET the raytheon! Were all in on rhein rhein rhein!

"Wait, where does Rheinmetall get energy?"
"..."
"GAZPROM ROSATOM BUY BUY BUY!!"

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1496618205804126209

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Majorian posted:

I wish I had been correct in my initial assessment that Putin wouldn't take things as far as he has.

Has it made you rethink some of your assumptions about what people like Putin are capable of doing?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Maybe, but other than idiotic poo poo like "shock and awe," America and its Allies restrained themselves from full-on artillery strikes against populated areas where civilians deaths were the point.

And as stated in previous pages, the sectarian and tribal affiliations of Iraq really don't translate to Ukraine, especially when Russia already controls the areas with large amounts of ethnic Russians.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/DmytroKuleba/st...n-border-troops

Escalating very rapidly :(

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

https://mobile.twitter.com/IntelCrab/status/1496611298574061578
NOTAM over Dnipro now as well.

https://mobile.twitter.com/rafalduk/status/1496611297366052869
Border wall camera posts in Crimea going out one by one.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Wasnt the big problem in Iraq that the US/UK/whoever soldiers had to go basically door to door to find out who was a soldier and who wasnt? That's why Fallujah and Bagdad took so long?

Because I've got a bad feeling Putin won't bother

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
I can see tonight still being all about scare tactics. There hasn't been a big enough false flag to justify a full invasion yet. Then again, I'm not sure Putin even cares about appearances anymore.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

r/russia has banned political and military posts.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BoldFace posted:

I can see tonight still being all about scare tactics. There hasn't been a big enough false flag to justify a full invasion yet. Then again, I'm not sure Putin even cares about appearances anymore.

There's a lot of effort to hide something regardless.

I don't think Putin NEEDS the false flag anymore, and also might think he won't get it.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

projecthalaxy posted:

Wasnt the big problem in Iraq that the US/UK/whoever soldiers had to go basically door to door to find out who was a soldier and who wasnt? That's why Fallujah and Bagdad took so long?

Determined resistance in urban areas or otherwise defensible terrain can be difficult to uproot even if you have overwhelming fire superiority and the will to use it, as the Russians have personally experienced multiple times.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

projecthalaxy posted:

This is how they do it. It's not a comfortable read, but if you can't look away:

Conspiratiorist posted:

For context, the Russian approach to successful city fighting is very straightforward:

First, level the block you're advancing into with artillery and airstrikes.

Second, advance with recon infantry teams that put thermobaric RPGs into any remaining structures that might house possible points of resistance.

Third, advance with general infantry backed by armor to clear anything that isn't dead, dying, or wishing it was.

It's real loving bad and Russian leadership knows it looks real loving bad. They'll avoid it as much as possible.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Zelensky just gave an address in Russian. Waiting for a translation.

https://youtu.be/TiXdsekwAN4

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Yeah its much more likely, if they hit a resistant city, they'll just cut it off and go around it.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

projecthalaxy posted:

Gonna be a real eye-opener to some people to see what "imperialism" looks when it's not done by the modern Western powers.

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah its much more likely, if they hit a resistant city, they'll just cut it off and go around it.

Can't exactly do that, because those cities are large repositories of supplies and manpower. Just circumventing them is asking for your supply lines to get cut by urban guerrillas.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

There's a lot of effort to hide something regardless.

I don't think Putin NEEDS the false flag anymore, and also might think he won't get it.

Yeah the West has already pulled the trigger on sanctions. It's not the last shot of major sanctions, but everyone is calling it an invasion already, there's no face left to save.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

Pook Good Mook posted:

Maybe, but other than idiotic poo poo like "shock and awe," America and its Allies restrained themselves from full-on artillery strikes against populated areas where civilians deaths were the point.

And as stated in previous pages, the sectarian and tribal affiliations of Iraq really don't translate to Ukraine, especially when Russia already controls the areas with large amounts of ethnic Russians.

The USA absolutely had to engage in a brutal street fighting and house to house warfare repeatedly over the course of the occupation until the body count, lack of success, and no clear path to peace eventually forced withdrawal.

The lack of tribal and ethic divisions strengthen the Ukrainian resistances hand rather than weakening it, because of a shared nationalistic identify and lack of cause for sporadic and violent infighting.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Fame Douglas posted:

This is some great reframing.

Russia will start a physical assault on Ukraine as soon as Feb. 16, multiple U.S. officials confirmed to POLITICO, and Washington communicated to allies that it could be preceded by a barrage of missile strikes and cyberattacks. One person said the leaders’ call indicated that cyberattacks are “imminent” and another said the intelligence is “specific and alarming.” Sullivan mentioned that any attack on Ukraine could begin with “aerial bombing and missile attacks.”

British tabloids then took it and came up with

"Kremlin chiefs will order an attack on Ukraine at 3am local time today, American intelligence agencies believe."

FishBulbia fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 24, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

FishBulbia posted:

Russia will start a physical assault on Ukraine as soon as Feb. 16, multiple U.S. officials confirmed to POLITICO, and Washington communicated to allies that it could be preceded by a barrage of missile strikes and cyberattacks. One person said the leaders’ call indicated that cyberattacks are “imminent” and another said the intelligence is “specific and alarming.” Sullivan mentioned that any attack on Ukraine could begin with “aerial bombing and missile attacks.”

A lot has also happened since the 16th that makes it more likely though, including all the pomp and press yesterday and Russia openly saying its moving military into Donbas. So its not getting better.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It weakens them because there are no armed groups left if the central government falls, when in Iraq you had plenty, be it religious, regional, tribal, ethnic, baathist, or a mix of them. And they had outside backing and were already organized.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Orthanc6 posted:

Yeah the West has already pulled the trigger on sanctions. It's not the last shot of major sanctions, but everyone is calling it an invasion already, there's no face left to save.

None of that matters. He needs the false flags and staged incidents to build the narrative around his persona. This line of events have clearly shown Putin doesn't give a single gently caress about the west, and it's always been about his persona and legacy.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

projecthalaxy posted:

Yeah, the "sweep past population centers, isolate them, and deal with them at your leisure" approach is basically the Mongol school of steppe warfare. The second step historically was to then gain the compliance of local populations (i.e. usually their money), either by co-opting existing power structures or various degrees of incredible violence.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

CommieGIR posted:

At this point Internationally everyone who's going to seems to of been pretty clear they know exactly what's going on, and in Russia by all accounts the state media is just going to say what ever, so who would it be for any more?

Whatever happens it's going to be seen for exactly the sort of unprovoked invasion that it is.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

CommieGIR posted:

A lot has also happened since the 16th that makes it more likely though, including all the pomp and press yesterday and Russia openly saying its moving military into Donbas. So its not getting better.

I agree. But I don't think its likely that saying that dissuaded Putin from invading, I think he wasn't ready yet. This looks like it was always the plan.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

CommieGIR posted:

this isn't as feasible as you'd think - supply lines are road bound, and cities/towns/villages tend to exist at road junctions vital to being able to move things back and forth between the front line and friendly territory. you can bypass stubborn points of resistance on a temporary basis but eventually you're going to have to take and hold urban areas, leaving you highly vulnerable to ambush if the local population feels like resisting. this is especially true for the major roadways which can stand up to heavy military traffic, you don't want to be running supply trucks down side roads and through suburbs

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 24, 2022

Omon Ra
Nov 1, 2020
peanus

BoldFace posted:

Zelensky just gave an address in Russian. Waiting for a translation.

https://youtu.be/TiXdsekwAN4
It's Ukrainian, not Russian. Subtle but relevant difference.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/MarQs__/status/1496622094066634754

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Orthanc6 posted:

I highly doubt they would do that, but of all the ways NATO forces could end up in Ukraine this is the only one I could see happening. It would be extremely risky and NATO would have to tell Russia right now they intended to do this, and make some gesture proving that it is indeed only for evacuations and not military support.

And for the sake of showing where the spectrum is, that was a reasonable though unlikely idea, and then there's this:

https://twitter.com/MrGeorgeWallace/status/1496599704309665792

Something tells me we shouldn’t be using noted comedian George Wallace as an example of unreasonableness and whatnot.

https://twitter.com/mrgeorgewallace/status/1496605525844258817?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Omon Ra posted:

It's Ukrainian, not Russian. Subtle but relevant difference.

I don't speak either language, but multiple sources have emphasized that it indeed was in Russian.

https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1496620913491595265
https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1496621836221784064