Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Groda posted:

My Hebie 608 closely resembles the one that came on your gen 1 GSD and works fantastically in the Scandinavian winter.
Oh that's cool, Tern must have specc'ed a loving copy to save 10 bucks or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

evil_bunnY posted:

Oh that's cool, Tern must have specc'ed a loving copy to save 10 bucks or whatever.

However, you can't return them for warranty service:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I rode to work through a light cold drizzle this morning wearing my usual winter wet gear along a stretch where motor vehicles are only separated from the rest of us by a kerb. With perfect timing me at cruising speed, a pedestrian and a car coming from behind driving through a large puddle converged. I had swerved close to the road to give ample room for the pedestrian and a torrent of puddle spray struck me with force, straight in the face. I've been sprayed before along this section but never as badly as today. I got ice cold salty water in my mouth and nose and it was shockingly unpleasant. Without goggles it could even have become dangerous probably.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Oofa doofa

It's hitting the wet season here and I've been caught in the rain with the indecisive weather

That being said , there is something odd about it being a stifling 35, get rained on heavily for 15 minutes soaking to the bone , then having 45 minutes of hard sunlight and still being dry at the destination

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Weather forecasts are important to me. Being caught with the wrong gear isn't a life or death thing but it matters a great deal for comfort. Also I don't want salt spray all over my nice cold weather gear since I dislike washing it, etc. I'll usually carry a light and compact rain jacket in the always-there kit for unexpected summer rains but winter clothing is a totally different beast and bulky to the point I don't like to carry any extra except maybe a dry pair of gloves and the like.

On a positive note I flushed my brakes since the rear started acting up in the cold after the bike had been sitting for a while when my household had covid. The fluid (mineral oil) that came out looked bad (dark and cloudy) and now the brake feel is superb compared to what it was. Stuff that degrades slowly over time is hard to notice until it stops working altogether, at least for me. Same deal with shifter cables getting crunchy and things of that nature.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Ever since I left it in the shed for a few weeks over Christmas (at least that's when I noticed it) the brakes on my commuter squeal as I come to a stop. Like at the lowest speed portion, just slowing down a bit doesn't make a noise.

I tried wiping the rotors down with cleaner but it didn't make a difference. Is it more likely to be contamination of the pads or them needing bleeding? There has been a lot of oil from mopeds on the bike paths I take to work recently.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I'm by no means an expert on stopping brake squeal. I doubt it's related to air in the brake fluid though. Anecdotally I've had at least short term success with cleanliness. Brake clean or similar on the discs, new pads or if there's plenty of meat left on them sanding down the friction surface a bit can quiet them for a while. Some people soak the pads in solvent or bake them in the oven but I've never tried those methods.

As a rule, my bakfiets will squeal unless it's raining and my commuter will squeal unless it's dry. If anyone knows how to remedy this I'd like to know :shrug:

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
Alignment has been an issue for me. Readjusting the caliper position and wheel alignment during major maintenance normally fixes it though.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Invalido posted:

I'm by no means an expert on stopping brake squeal. I doubt it's related to air in the brake fluid though. Anecdotally I've had at least short term success with cleanliness. Brake clean or similar on the discs, new pads or if there's plenty of meat left on them sanding down the friction surface a bit can quiet them for a while. Some people soak the pads in solvent or bake them in the oven but I've never tried those methods.

As a rule, my bakfiets will squeal unless it's raining and my commuter will squeal unless it's dry. If anyone knows how to remedy this I'd like to know :shrug:

My front mechanical disc brake (BB7) sounds like a train going thru a sharp curve.

The rear? Quiet.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Giant Metal Robot posted:

Alignment has been an issue for me. Readjusting the caliper position and wheel alignment during major maintenance normally fixes it though.

Seems like this was the problem, readjusted the QR a bit and the squeal is gone. I really wish this bike had thru axles

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I gotta take a second to complain just for the sake of complaining. My town's commercial district is full of bike racks, which is great, but they are all facing the wrong direction.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

CopperHound posted:

I gotta take a second to complain just for the sake of complaining. My town's commercial district is full of bike racks, which is great, but they are all facing the wrong direction.

My town has those in stainless. They put them up correctly the first year, then decided they knew better than everyone and since then it's been like yours. Utterly infuriating.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
An area near me has bike racks that are cut from flat plate steel, and when not in use are nearly invisible to pedestrians. Also they are exactly crotch height (ask me how I know). So I can see maybe someone thinks these should be mounted to be visible to the foot traffic?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

CopperHound posted:

The city tapped them to add (1) colorless mana to their mana pool

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

The city tapped them to add (1) colorless mana to their mana pool
How did you know I took that pic in front of the comic store?
E: oh lol I see now.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Pretty sure that's a mountain/fire mana

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

norp posted:

An area near me has bike racks that are cut from flat plate steel, and when not in use are nearly invisible to pedestrians. Also they are exactly crotch height (ask me how I know). So I can see maybe someone thinks these should be mounted to be visible to the foot traffic?

In all seriousness, should you buy some yellow spray paint and make them more visible?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
In the years since I've noticed them it looks like they've replaced them all with stainless steel tube versions of the same design.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Jestery posted:

In all seriousness, should you buy some yellow spray paint and make them more visible?

Yes

Rust-Oleum sells an extra durable farm equipment yellow in a can for any $6

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

So my bike came with Maxxis Detonators and I remember them being good because there felt grippy and rolled really well. I had them on for a few months and replaced them with Schwalbe marathons after I got a puncture.

Well I wore through my 3rd Schwalbe Marathon plus and decided to cheap out and get another set of Detonators (also because they're so easy to replace). Had 2 flats in 2 weeks and cracked it, went out and bought a new set of marathon plus's because I've never had them punctured.

I managed to get a pinch flat on the new tube without even managing to get the full bead over and also broke both my levers. I'm basically a caveman.

Then I found this and I can't even be mad about the tyre because this guy is so calm. Need to try it tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XUFVrl0UT4

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

Animal Friend posted:

I managed to get a pinch flat on the new tube without even managing to get the full bead over and also broke both my levers. I'm basically a caveman.

Then I found this and I can't even be mad about the tyre because this guy is so calm. Need to try it tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XUFVrl0UT4

Get a :10bux: bead jack and never struggle again:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EZRSz1DlHg

CaptainTofu
Jun 1, 2021

Animal Friend posted:

So my bike came with Maxxis Detonators and I remember them being good because there felt grippy and rolled really well. I had them on for a few months and replaced them with Schwalbe marathons after I got a puncture.

Well I wore through my 3rd Schwalbe Marathon plus and decided to cheap out and get another set of Detonators (also because they're so easy to replace). Had 2 flats in 2 weeks and cracked it, went out and bought a new set of marathon plus's because I've never had them punctured.

Detonators are by far the most puncture prone tyres I've ever used. Absolutely live up to their name.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I think I have nerve damage in my hands from trying to get a probably slightly undersized steel bead gatorskin back onto my rim after a flat like 6 years ago. never used steel beads again after that 45 min ordeal

I'm still using the same tire levers to this day though. I don't think it's possible for these to break

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

marshalljim posted:

Get a :10bux: bead jack and never struggle again:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EZRSz1DlHg

:monocle:

CaptainTofu posted:

Detonators are by far the most puncture prone tyres I've ever used. Absolutely live up to their name.

yeah there's a reason I rode them until my first puncture before I replaced them when the bike was new. But I just wanted a budget tyre and went with them because of familiarity. They're super thing and light, they do feel good... but they suck and left me 20km from home and an hours walk to the nearest train station yesterday.

I'll also say in my own defence that I have fitted Schawlbes before (my OP says this isn't the first time running them) and I've fitted multiple sets of Vittoria Randonnuers before too. The front tyre went on fine too. Just the rear one gave me so much trouble.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

God Hole posted:

I'm still using the same tire levers to this day though. I don't think it's possible for these to break

I have snapped one on a tough install. Mine were second hand and already very beat up looking, like it'd been run over a few times.
The break was actually close to the spoke hook end, so I kept using the lever for a while longer.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I've installed marathon+ a couple times and didn't have too big of an issue, but loving tubeless ready gravel kings were so tight they snapped some lovely tire levers I had and sent shrapnel flying. Pedro's levers are great though.

The one other trick that helps a really tight fit if it's warm out and you can let the thing sit in sunlight to heat it up, it'll be stretchier. I had to use the radiator in my house once over the winter because those fuckers basically do not fit.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Yeah I followed the method I linked using cable ties and and "massaging" around the rim to slowly pull the bead over the rim and it was surprisingly easy.

Mauser posted:

The one other trick that helps a really tight fit if it's warm out and you can let the thing sit in sunlight to heat it up, it'll be stretchier. I had to use the radiator in my house once over the winter because those fuckers basically do not fit.

This is great advice.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Animal Friend posted:

This is great advice.

I'm positive it was someone else who mentioned it on these forums, but it's real and it's the only way I could do one out of two of the gravelking tires after my finger muscles were shot

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
I still do tires by hand but if I go back to Marathon Plus tires I’ll use levers because the last time I did that with Pluses, I pealed the skin off on one of my thumbs.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
So many combos of tires and rims. I've mounted Marathons in like 5 minutes without having to think about it and then the next time I'm debating filing a comp claim for physio because my hands get all jacked up. I'm pretty sure if I ever switch to Marathons for commuting or touring I'd practice mounting and unmounting a few times just to make sure it's physically possible to do it in a reasonable amount of time before heading out. Screw being a half hour late for something because Schwalbe engineers are masochists.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

EvilJoven posted:

So many combos of tires and rims. I've mounted Marathons in like 5 minutes without having to think about it and then the next time I'm debating filing a comp claim for physio because my hands get all jacked up. I'm pretty sure if I ever switch to Marathons for commuting or touring I'd practice mounting and unmounting a few times just to make sure it's physically possible to do it in a reasonable amount of time before heading out. Screw being a half hour late for something because Schwalbe engineers are masochists.

I've been on Vittoria 40mm 26" Rubino Pro Slicks for years, but I'm down to one spare. Very easy to mount/dismount. Roll easily.

When they wear out I'll get the Compass tires so I can deal with gravel easier.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

Well, if you're lucky with the marathons, you'll never actually have to put them on outside of your place because I haven't had a flat yet. I'm sure a nail would go right through them, but the glass in my alley that slashed a half-inch gash in my other tires hasn't done poo poo to my wife's or my marathon+s

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
my experience is the same. Roadside flats used to be fairly common for me (usually glass slivers or small steel debris) but it just doesn't seem to happen with marathon+. I still carry the toolkit but it's been a long time since I had need for it.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Invalido posted:

my experience is the same. Roadside flats used to be fairly common for me (usually glass slivers or small steel debris) but it just doesn't seem to happen with marathon+. I still carry the toolkit but it's been a long time since I had need for it.

I have gotten flats with the (normal) Marathons but not the Marathon Pluses.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

VideoGameVet posted:

I have gotten flats with the (normal) Marathons but not the Marathon Pluses.

:same: with a single exception IIRC - a single flat caused by a piece of stainless steel wire. Not bad over several years of riding.
The "plus" means it has the puncture protection layer. It also means it's a heavy and stiff tire because of it but everything is a compromise when it comes to tires.

On a different note current fuel prices make me really glad that I don't drive to work on the regular and I feel stronger than usual that bicycles rule.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Invalido posted:

:same: with a single exception IIRC - a single flat caused by a piece of stainless steel wire. Not bad over several years of riding.
The "plus" means it has the puncture protection layer. It also means it's a heavy and stiff tire because of it but everything is a compromise when it comes to tires.

On a different note current fuel prices make me really glad that I don't drive to work on the regular and I feel stronger than usual that bicycles rule.

Someone said to me the other day something about the price of fuel being insane and I realised I had no idea what they were talking about.

As in I of course know about global events but I've not had to pay attention to fuel for a long time. Major smug cycling moment.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Well, I spoke to soon on the marathon+ chat and just had to meet my wife halfway on her commute with the spare tube as she got a flat. Small circular hole on the outside of the tube, no visible glass or metal stuck in the tire, no visible damage or holes to the tire. The tube I took out was old as hell, so maybe it was just its time.

Gas chat: We've got a little two door my wife uses for commuting about half the time for the other site she works at and we fill it up maybe once a month, so it definitely does not impact us in a meaningful way. I haven't driven to work since before 2015 and cannot imagine ever going back to that poo poo because it's a nightmare

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Mauser posted:

Well, I spoke to soon on the marathon+ chat and just had to meet my wife halfway on her commute with the spare tube as she got a flat. Small circular hole on the outside of the tube, no visible glass or metal stuck in the tire, no visible damage or holes to the tire. The tube I took out was old as hell, so maybe it was just its time.

Gas chat: We've got a little two door my wife uses for commuting about half the time for the other site she works at and we fill it up maybe once a month, so it definitely does not impact us in a meaningful way. I haven't driven to work since before 2015 and cannot imagine ever going back to that poo poo because it's a nightmare

Never say a tire is good, it is guaranteed bad juju

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

bicievino posted:

Never say a tire is good, it is guaranteed bad juju
This is why I talk poo poo about all my bike stuff.

Patches don't stick to the inside of my Cannonballs and Darn gravelkings are too close to poop color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

My back wheel is all wobbly and I can just push it at times, but the tire will scrape against the mud guard now.

I was maybe 2-3 km into my commute home when it crapped out on me. I walked/ran it back towards work, to a garage around there. He says they got to change the wheel, but I'll have to find the part elsewhere. So my bike is safe-ish at work not in the regular parking, which is gated, but actually within the high school itself, attached to some rather bad rails, but it should be harder to reach.

Course my luck being what it is, I'm off to Croatia all next week so I can't actually get it fixed until the 21st.

Technician told me something in the axle broke probably due to poor maintenance. I can only blame my local garage who had my bike for a check-up/cleaning in January and kept it 2 weeks longer since they went on vacation without telling me and clearly didn't do anything. Just another reason to never go there.

I'm kinda upset, but I'm glad it's something easy to fix.