Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

B-Rock452 posted:

Please don't judge me but I remember watching the DVD commentary and it's mentioned that the director allowed him to do that to give his character a unique trait. Not sure why I remember that

Did the director remark at all on the big reveal of the movie being spoiled within seconds of his introduction to the story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Simplex posted:

Did the director remark at all on the big reveal of the movie being spoiled within seconds of his introduction to the story?

The rest of the commentary that I remember was him talking about how cool gun kata was. And talking about how more movies should use it

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I unironically love Equilibrium. Though really I love a Youtube video someone put together of all the good fight scenes set to something like Linkin Park. But it sadly got taken down a couple years ago for copyright infringement.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Equilibrium usually gets mentioned as a kind of Matrix-alike, which isn't totally wrong, but I think of it more as being of a piece with 1984 and Brave New World. It has that very Golden Age Sci Fi feel, the ridiculous po-faced nature of the whole movie...

its so good!

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

Simplex posted:

I was gonna say he started off fairly stoic and then ramped it up over the course of the movie but he does let out a little chuckle-snort at the end of his first scene. And then he totally drops the stoic act from the start of his second, and we all know what a beautiful thing it grows into by the end.

Then again, the Voice of Father guy is obviously feeling from the start, the obviousness of that conceals the other, better reveals that he is Father and that this was all according to keikaku, and having the whole sense offense stuff be totally arbitrary and contradictory is actually extremely cool

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I would like to retemper people's expectations of Equilibrium - I loving love the movie and it has some extremely memorable moments that have never been repeated, but it is in fact hokey as hell. Still, you should watch it.

For those that have already seen it, my most memorable moments, or if you are on the fence and need encouraging but don't mind semi-minor spoilers:

* Gunkata murdering of the potential puppy killers
* Obscenely huge pistol clip reloading scene at the... palace?
* Taye Diggs saying "cleric" 1000 times
* Literally one car and some repurposed airport vehicles
* Sean Bean doing what he does best, dying
* The only enjoyable thing Kurt Wimmer has done, sorry Kurt

precision posted:

Equilibrium usually gets mentioned as a kind of Matrix-alike, which isn't totally wrong, but I think of it more as being of a piece with 1984 and Brave New World. It has that very Golden Age Sci Fi feel, the ridiculous po-faced nature of the whole movie...

its so good!

it's safe to say that the movie would not have been made in it's current form if The Matrix wasn't successful, but yeah, it doesn't actually share a whole lot with the movie other than the concept of smooth dudes with guns.

Glottis fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 23, 2022

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
double post, oops

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Glottis posted:

For those that have already seen it, my most memorable moments:

* Gunkata murdering of the potential puppy killers
* Obscenely huge pistol clip reloading scene at the... palace?
* Taye Diggs saying "cleric" 1000 times
* Literally one car and some repurposed airport vehicles
* Sean Bean doing what he does best, dying
* The only enjoyable thing Kurt Wimmer has done, sorry Kurt

There's also the scene where they bust into Bale's apartment and he obliterates that one dudes arm.

It's hard to really know how someone going back to a movie like Equilibrium will feel about the action if they're watching it in 2022 for the first time. I do know that in it's time the style of the action was really fresh and felt like something unique we had never seen before.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
My only complaint about Equilibirum is that the movie seems MADE for glorious squib action, but all the gun hits are puffs of sand/dust like Bale is murdering a bunch of scarecrows.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
"No. Not without incident" is definitely one of my favorite lines in a bag movie.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Medullah posted:

"No. Not without incident" is definitely one of my favorite lines in a bag movie.

gently caress yeah, that's a great line. That last scene with Bale and Diggs is awesome too. . Equilibrium owns.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Medullah posted:

.... poo poo

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I loving love EQ. There was this music video for it way back in the day that merged shinedown’s 45 with the movie and I watched it all the time as a young teen and teared up because I was stupid lmao.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I will say, though, that Gymkata >>>>> Gunkata

The SKILL of gymnastics. The KILL of karate!

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

isaboo posted:

I will say, though, that Gymkata >>>>> Gunkata

The SKILL of gymnastics. The KILL of karate!

This is showing next month at a bar-near-me's monthly "bad movie" night thing! I'm very excited

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

CelticPredator posted:

I loving love EQ. There was this music video for it way back in the day that merged shinedown’s 45 with the movie and I watched it all the time as a young teen and teared up because I was stupid lmao.

I can't tell if I hate or love that I know exactly what video you are talking about... I kind of miss those videos on YouTube now.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Prime is such bullshit when it comes to forced dubbing, but so are a lot of streaming channels. Like apparently if I wanna watch Night Watch, Red Cliff, or basically any Hong Kong movie in its original language and not narrated by Movie Trailer Announcer Guy for an audience of complete dipshits I'm just poo poo out of luck.
It's basically ruined any Jackie Chan that exists out of the criterion channel

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

B-Rock452 posted:

I can't tell if I hate or love that I know exactly what video you are talking about... I kind of miss those videos on YouTube now.

The golden age.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Fear and Loathing in Aspen is on Prime via Starz, it's a good doc about Hunter Thompson running for sheriff in the 70s.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

B-Rock452 posted:

Please don't judge me but I remember watching the DVD commentary and it's mentioned that the director allowed him to do that to give his character a unique trait. Not sure why I remember that

Lol I watched the DVD commentary too and I remember it was full of a lot of “the actor thought it’d be a good idea, and I decided they were right.” Another specific one that comes to mind is Christian Bale inexplicably having blood coming out of his sleeve before he goes all gun-kata on the computer room

Streaming killing commentary tracks really sucks honestly

e: and since we are sharing favorite Equilibrium moments, mine are Angus Macfadyen’s facial expression / double chin during his entire fight scene at end and Christian Bale surfing the door after the SWAT guys blow the hinges, with the rail / track for the effect plainly visible the entire shot

eighty-four merc fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 24, 2022

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Finished "All of Us Are Dead". Phenomenal show. I can see why it's by far the biggest show world-wide.

While it is a bit of a crawl, that's what differentiates it from other zombie shows. I also really enjoyed how the show mostly casted teenagers to play the...well teenagers, outside of a few surprising exceptions.

That said I do have a few complaints:

- The ensemble was just too big. It was hard to keep track of who everyone was.

- Having multiple groups was dumb. The small archery group was pointless and only saved by total ire by the punk girl's performance. The firefighter searching for his daughter? Not worth the pay off. The detective and his Seoul University partner was clearly an excuse to have adult characters in the show and is ultimately made pointless since when the laptop if finally found the scientist just says "lol you can't cure anybody!". The main group should have been the focus of 99% of the series.

- I'm sorry but the mid-rescue abandonment on the rooftop was insanely dumb. I literally yelled "What the gently caress is this? Game of Thrones!?" at my TV when this happened. Just terrible writing.

- While I agree the series needs a second season, it should not start the same cast. The show would work best as an anthology series.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I put on Equilibrium to laugh at it and cringe at my bad teenage taste...and ended up loving it even more. Its corny but goddamn is it earnest. It believes in what it is doing. I've always loved the scene where the soldiers come into Bale's apartment and he shows you how dangerous a cleric of his caliber can be even when hes unarmed and in PJs.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Prime is such bullshit when it comes to forced dubbing, but so are a lot of streaming channels. Like apparently if I wanna watch Night Watch, Red Cliff, or basically any Hong Kong movie in its original language and not narrated by Movie Trailer Announcer Guy for an audience of complete dipshits I'm just poo poo out of luck.
It's basically ruined any Jackie Chan that exists out of the criterion channel

I saw police story was on HBO, is that dub only?

GeneralZod
May 28, 2003

Kneel before Zod!
Grimey Drawer
As a Brit, the strangest aspect of Equilibrium is the sudden appearance of Brian "It's a Puppet!" Conley half way through.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

im trying to watch the kings man

its not very good

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
one might even say it's quite bad

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Equilibrium put me to sleep but The One is very entertaining. It's so bad. It's so good.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
spoilers for the best scene in The One

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdVOAvcSKnw&t=12s

e: god I forgot he dodges a bullet WHILE holding a motorcycle in each hand

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsXN1v8yuCk

My favorite thing from Equilibrium is the Mona Lisa detector from the start of the film. You point it at a painting and it says VERIFIED if it's the Mona Lisa. Very specialized piece of equipment.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Why do they even bother authenticating it? Wouldn't their doctrine demand destroying all art that evokes emotions, including prints and reproductions?

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
I hope that Don't Kill Me on Netflix was some sort of satire that just didn't translate very well, because the secret centuries-old elite anti-zombie squad in this is a more incompetent bunch of goobers than the ones in Santa Clarita Diet, and that show was intentionally funny. Anyhoo, there was potential here for something interesting and creative, but the show squandered it on being cliche schlock etc. etc. etc. typical netflix disappointment.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

SimonChris posted:

My favorite thing from Equilibrium is the Mona Lisa detector from the start of the film. You point it at a painting and it says VERIFIED if it's the Mona Lisa. Very specialized piece of equipment.

Mine is the special effects on Diggs' face at the end.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

ymgve posted:

Why do they even bother authenticating it? Wouldn't their doctrine demand destroying all art that evokes emotions, including prints and reproductions?

The guys who come in to burn it are in hazmat suits, and they use flamethrowers. No one else is wearing hazmat suits, nor is there any indication of why they would be. The flamethrowers only light the painting, not the wooden floorboards. The logic of Equilibrium is not the logic of thinking things through

Hoop Dreams
Oct 21, 2010
gently caress logic. It looks cool. That's all that matters.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

DeimosRising posted:

The guys who come in to burn it are in hazmat suits, and they use flamethrowers. No one else is wearing hazmat suits, nor is there any indication of why they would be. The flamethrowers only light the painting, not the wooden floorboards. The logic of Equilibrium is not the logic of thinking things through

I think those suits are meant to be fireproof suits rather than hazmats, which would make some more sense for people whose whole deal is burning stuff. Still a bit silly that they roll up with the whole kit while the thoroughly unprotected cleric is standing right next to them as they go on to burning.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

SimonChris posted:

I'm imagining this scene but with goatse

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Perestroika posted:

I think those suits are meant to be fireproof suits rather than hazmats, which would make some more sense for people whose whole deal is burning stuff. Still a bit silly that they roll up with the whole kit while the thoroughly unprotected cleric is standing right next to them as they go on to burning.

clerics are fireproof, obviously.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Buttchocks posted:

I hope that Don't Kill Me on Netflix was some sort of satire that just didn't translate very well, because the secret centuries-old elite anti-zombie squad in this is a more incompetent bunch of goobers than the ones in Santa Clarita Diet, and that show was intentionally funny. Anyhoo, there was potential here for something interesting and creative, but the show squandered it on being cliche schlock etc. etc. etc. typical netflix disappointment.

I got less "elite anti-zombie squad" vibes and more "collection of well funded assholes who see zombies as a consequence free torture target".

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

veni veni veni posted:

I'm imagining this scene but with goatse

Sean Bean's execution scene but he's shot in the head through a picture of goatse instead of a book of Yeats' poetry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Just started Vikings Valhalla on Netflix. It's a spinoff of Vikings set 100 years after season 6, dealing with Leif Eriksson and William the Conquered. We'll see how it goes, but I'm down for some shield walls and swordfights.

10 Beers fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 25, 2022