Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

The sighting a few pages ago reminds me, I finally got the lenses for my attempt at a cheap all-sky camera, I might start working on a prototype this weekend.

fanfic insert posted:

i wrote a post about radonautica being just an advanced filter on the pokemon go database but lol watching some more videos and im spook'd

goblins and poo poo
For randonauitca, looking at the technical stuff buried several pages deep on their site shows that they are, in fact, using hardware RNGs based on quantum effects - one based on electron tunneling in a field effect transistor, and one based on Johnson-Nyquist noise. The first is one of the older types used by the Global Consciousness Project and the second is what they currently use. I downloaded the app because even if I don't buy into the quantum consciousness stuff, it sounds interesting as something to do.

Slight derail, but Pokemon Go, Ingress before it, the Transformers game that's coming next, and the entire history of Niantic Labs and John Hanke is a straight line back to US intelligence; before he sold Keyhole Inc. to Google, which was the foundation for Google Maps and all of their GIS stuff, the company was about to go under until the CIA's venture capital firm In-Q-Tel realized how useful it could be to them and the DoD.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

the goons that stare at goatse
"the men who stare at goatse" was a FYAD subtitle a few years ago. I like having something original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

y'all need jesus

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

phew, i was worried we would be on page 666 for ever!!!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Azathoth posted:

y'all need jesus

Hmm I can't imagine why this username post combo is tripping me up somehow

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The heavenly court is absolutely lovecraftian next level terrifying so it shouldn't trip you as much as you'd thing instinctively

that floaty choir in the sky w a bodied God on a physical throne is pure pagan nonsense ya hear!!! It was "Be not afraid" not "check out my sick lyre riff"

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!
Interesting article on the gaurdian about dying and brain waves.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2022/feb/23/does-life-flash-before-your-eyes-brain-scan-of-dying-man-suggests-its-possible

Still not sure if it's the brain going OMG, dying, will make last few seconds easier for myself, or if it is something deeper that happens to people.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Hmm I can't imagine why this username post combo is tripping me up somehow

Only registered members can see post attachments!

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

dependable looking fellow

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Blind idiot: hmm have you considered Jesus

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Toupee Groupie posted:

Interesting article on the gaurdian about dying and brain waves.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2022/feb/23/does-life-flash-before-your-eyes-brain-scan-of-dying-man-suggests-its-possible

Still not sure if it's the brain going OMG, dying, will make last few seconds easier for myself, or if it is something deeper that happens to people.

i've always assumed it was because we're social creatures - basically if someone nearly dies and comes back to report that it's not so bad, others might be more likely to take risks for the safety of the group

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Of the factions loving around on earth, it's probably not the Son Of Man that's gonna "find out" yanno

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Azathoth posted:

y'all need jesus

:smugradar:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

this ones 4 u radar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4df5BGCMLQI

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

GWBBQ posted:

The sighting a few pages ago reminds me, I finally got the lenses for my attempt at a cheap all-sky camera, I might start working on a prototype this weekend.

For randonauitca, looking at the technical stuff buried several pages deep on their site shows that they are, in fact, using hardware RNGs based on quantum effects - one based on electron tunneling in a field effect transistor, and one based on Johnson-Nyquist noise. The first is one of the older types used by the Global Consciousness Project and the second is what they currently use. I downloaded the app because even if I don't buy into the quantum consciousness stuff, it sounds interesting as something to do.

I don't know what they're using now, I think they ended up building their own but originally they were using Australian National University's field vacuum QRNG. You can dig into the meat a bit more here: https://qrng.anu.edu.au/

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Man Chuck Tingle has really lost his groove lately.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I don't know what they're using now, I think they ended up building their own but originally they were using Australian National University's field vacuum QRNG. You can dig into the meat a bit more here: https://qrng.anu.edu.au/
Thanks. I think I'll clarify by just emailing them.

I'm kind of disappointed that as I'm trying it out, I get nothing for the quantum or random options that cost 15 credits, only the 20 credit "Power" option. That said, if people want to do a group experiment I would be happy to come up with a list of things to focus on while using the app and experimental procedures to record results in a uniform way.

Also, I'm late for page 666 but I was behind a car a few minutes ago and I really want to know how the license plate "CARCOSA" made it past the pearl clutchers at the DMV.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

GWBBQ posted:

Also, I'm late for page 666 but I was behind a car a few minutes ago and I really want to know how the license plate "CARCOSA" made it past the pearl clutchers at the DMV.

If it doesn't bother the Queen of England why should it bother them?

quote:

SIR,

In the April magazine your correspondent in Malaya asks me, in courteous terms, to tell him why I gave the name “Carcosa” to the house that was designed and built for me at Kuala Lumpur by the late Mr. C.E. Spooner, assisted by Mr. A.B. Hubback – as he was in those days – and I have no objection to answer the question even though the simple truth may spoil a number of excellent stories. When this house was finished and occupied I read a book which interested me. It was called “The King in Yellow” and at the beginning of this book there were some verses with a note explaining that they came from Cassilda’s song in “The King in Yellow”, Act 1, Scene 2. Here are two verses: -

“Strange is the night where black stars rise, And twin moons circle in the skies, But the stranger still is Lost Carcosa.”

“Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.”

I did not call the Resident General’s dwelling “Government House,” or “King’s House,” because neither seemed an appropriate name in Protected States. I did not give it a Malay name, because it was to be the residence of a British Officer; so I took a book name as has often been done before.

As to the word Carcosa, I imagine it was the Castle of the King in Yellow, but the book explains nothing about either the place or its occupant. That apparently can be found in the play, to which there are only occasional allusions. Probably it is a word created by the author’s fancy, though it looks like a combination of the Italian words cara and casa and would mean “desirable dwelling,” as indeed I found it.

The only curious fact is that this name was prophetic for, as I understand, the house has lost its name and is thus, “Lost Carcosa.” The occupant, I am told, is now styled “F.S,” instead of “R.G.”

Yours obediently,
FRANK SWETTENHAM

19 April 1936.

— Letter to the Editor of “British Malaya”, published May 1936

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

new Radar just dropped

https://twitter.com/SandiaWisdom/status/1496651960275120135?s=20&t=vAFMlaQGQF0iJ5C8yrQW6Q

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

p'niterf

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

yer a hybrid, harry

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

GWBBQ posted:

That said, if people want to do a group experiment I would be happy to come up with a list of things to focus on while using the app and experimental procedures to record results in a uniform way.

would be extremely down for this

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Jazerus posted:

yer a hybrid, harry

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Channel another book

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Dreylad posted:

saw the report, do you guys want this one or fine with the other new one? also hail shaytan

the goons that stare at goatse

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Perry Mason Jar posted:

If you get a pet fish for a kindergarten classroom and they overfeed the fish and kill it, would you punish the classroom?

Yes, little band of murderers

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Channel another book

lmao

Otherwise, sending particularly good vibes out to y'all, bird friends

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Inspector Hound posted:

Yes, little band of murderers

You make them plan a funeral and bury it. If they're not telling their therapist about it at 40, you're not doing it right.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
And never forget children, like this fish, you too will become dirt. And then later corn.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

God made mud. God got lonesome. So God said to some of the mud, "Sit up!" "See all I've made," said God, "the hills, the sea, the sky, the stars." And I was some of the mud that got to sit up and look around. Lucky me, lucky mud. I, mud, sat up and saw what a nice job God had done. Nice going, God. Nobody but you could have done it, God! I certainly couldn't have. I feel very unimportant compared to You. The only way I can feel the least bit important is to think of all the mud that didn't even get to sit up and look around. I got so much, and most mud got so little. Thank you for the honor! Now mud lies down again and goes to sleep. What memories for mud to have! What interesting other kinds of sitting-up mud I met! I loved everything I saw!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

God made mud. God got lonesome. So God said to some of the mud, "Sit up!" "See all I've made," said God, "the hills, the sea, the sky, the stars." And I was some of the mud that got to sit up and look around. Lucky me, lucky mud. I, mud, sat up and saw what a nice job God had done. Nice going, God. Nobody but you could have done it, God! I certainly couldn't have. I feel very unimportant compared to You. The only way I can feel the least bit important is to think of all the mud that didn't even get to sit up and look around. I got so much, and most mud got so little. Thank you for the honor! Now mud lies down again and goes to sleep. What memories for mud to have! What interesting other kinds of sitting-up mud I met! I loved everything I saw!

As a literal Vonnegut scholar....

:unsmith: :respek: :unsmith: :hfive:

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Jazerus posted:

yer a hybrid, harry

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ntf5_ue2Lzw

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Anyone who put money on "UFOs here to avert nuclear war" are probably gonna get that one solved in short order

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
If the warheads fly and then get disabled/disappeared we'd never hear about it? how can we be sure this hasn't happened already

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

if bombs go off, fly anywhere, assume anything posing as aliens in the aftermath were in on the op lol

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Anyone who put money on "UFOs here to avert nuclear war" are probably gonna get that one solved in short order

just hoping I go in the first wave

of the nukes I mean, I'd love it if the aliens intervened but I'm not counting on anything more than a few lmaos

The Protagonist posted:

If the warheads fly and then get disabled/disappeared we'd never hear about it? how can we be sure this hasn't happened already

This is a pretty good question! Assuming the exchange is between the US/NATO and Russia, there are absolutely plenty of neutral countries who would see the nukes fly and say something - unless they were in on it with the aliens. There are also plenty of nominally not-government-connected organizations that would probably also have some sort of monitoring capability, if only because things that track space flights and things that track nukes are very similar. Beyond that, I THINK the launches from land based silos would be visible on the ground at a large enough distance and to enough people that they couldn't easily be covered up, but who knows.

Log082 has issued a correction as of 04:45 on Feb 24, 2022

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

wars and rumors of wars etc etc

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

everythings gonna be fine bird thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uVOzkJB-QM