Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
got the shipping notice for my kickstarted sewn binding SWN

it's almost 4 pounds. crawford what did you DO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Arivia posted:

crawford what did you DO

hosed up the amount, surely. It shouldn't cost that little to send it from one place in the UK to another place in the UK, let alone internationally. Even if he figured out a UK-based distributor, it's be more than that.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

LashLightning posted:

hosed up the amount, surely. It shouldn't cost that little to send it from one place in the UK to another place in the UK, let alone internationally. Even if he figured out a UK-based distributor, it's be more than that.

I meant the weight. I’m in Canada. I’m worried it’ll make my arms fall off.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Arivia posted:

I meant the weight. I’m in Canada. I’m worried it’ll make my arms fall off.

If it helps, USPS delivered it to me today (yes, a Sunday, I don't know WTF either), and I picked it up and it's about the same weight as the WWN offset print.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If it helps, USPS delivered it to me today (yes, a Sunday, I don't know WTF either), and I picked it up and it's about the same weight as the WWN offset print.

That does help, WWN offset was heavy but not unmanageable.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
DCC's 100th Module Kickstarter is live: Music of the Spheres is Chaos

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

jeeves posted:

DCC's 100th Module Kickstarter is live: Music of the Spheres is Chaos

looks rad

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Hell, I backed it. Every Goodman Games adventure I’ve ever run or stolen bits from has worked great, and Stroh is probably their best module author.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin
Ditto. Managed to make it into the first 100 for a shiny sticker, ha ha. Stroh is by far my favorite module writer. I'm running Beneath the Well of Brass this weekend.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Man I was checkin that thing every minute for that dope sticker, and apparently was not quick enough- I was #101!

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
What level is it for?

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

thotsky posted:

What level is it for?

5th.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

jeeves posted:

Man I was checkin that thing every minute for that dope sticker, and apparently was not quick enough- I was #101!

First 48 hours people get them too I think

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

gently caress, watching the spinning dungeon in motion made me very excited for this.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Of course considering it's a box set adventure there's a good chance that like The Chained Coffin* or Peril On The Purple Planet before it that it'll end up being expanded into several adventures, though in that situation whether it'll be like the former and cover a full campaign's worth of adventures and levels(between it's eight adventures being able to cover from 0 to 5) or more like the latter which only covered a narrow range(two level 4 adventures and one adventure each for levels 5 & 6)

*considering both Chained Coffin and Music of the Spheres is Chaos involve a spinner prop gimmick and are at the same level range(both being Level 5 adventures) it probably wouldn't be hard to connect them together

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

alg posted:

First 48 hours people get them too I think
that's a slightly worse sticker. metallic, but not sparkly.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

jeeves posted:

Ohh brutal. I snuck in at 78.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I love Goodman Games but I kinda despise gross fomo stuff like that. More power to people who are all about a unique sticker, I recognize it's my own issue and limited time bonuses are probably as ancient as marketing itself.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

A Strange Aeon posted:

I love Goodman Games but I kinda despise gross fomo stuff like that. More power to people who are all about a unique sticker, I recognize it's my own issue and limited time bonuses are probably as ancient as marketing itself.

I don't think anyone is really FOMO about the sticker...it's just a fun silly thing to participate in. The difference between the first 100 and the current pledge available is metallic vs. shiny sticker. It's not like they are offering a box of exclusive minis or game altering expansions. Also, the slight discount was nice.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Saving $5 is why I personally windmill slammed the button to back it, because I knew I was going to back it regardless.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I was going to buy it anyhow, the sticker was a nice bonus.

I prefer something simple like a sticker to like, fukken normal Kickstarter poo poo of like “oh you get a whole bonus exclusive content” or something

Of course that’s more with stupid video game preorders these days.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah I don't get any FOMO regarding a sticker.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah, sorry for griping, it's much more of a pet peeve for me with board games where there's a bunch of added stuff that makes it feel annoying even if the extra stuff isn't necessary, and sticker talk just made me post, even though I don't think Goodman Games is even the target of my feelings.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Gavin Norman did a Q&A yesterday to promote the upcoming OSE Kickstarter, and when asked about it he said that he would no longer offer exclusive game content as a backer reward and regrets doing so in the first place. Hopefully this is a growing trend for designers.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SkeletonHero posted:

Gavin Norman did a Q&A yesterday to promote the upcoming OSE Kickstarter, and when asked about it he said that he would no longer offer exclusive game content as a backer reward and regrets doing so in the first place. Hopefully this is a growing trend for designers.

I don't understand why they're not just doing preorders at this point.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't understand why they're not just doing preorders at this point.

KS is a huge platform with a big built in audience. It's equivalent to a big marketing campaign in exchange for the KS cut and fees of <10%. Even for much bigger companies it's worth it.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Backer exclusives encourage people to pay into the project early at a higher price, rather than just waiting until after it gets funded and buying it at the base price. You need at least some people to buy in early to cover the cost of development, or the end product will never get made.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

mellonbread posted:

Backer exclusives encourage people to pay into the project early at a higher price, rather than just waiting until after it gets funded and buying it at the base price. You need at least some people to buy in early to cover the cost of development, or the end product will never get made.

If your funding target isn't enough to fund your project, then you've calculated it incorrectly. Or you're misleading your customersbackers.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
In order to meet any funding target, you have to give people a reason to buy in early, rather than sitting on the fence until after the product comes out.

I suspect there's a second order effect where fence sitters are more likely to buy in if they see a large initial rush of funders. This might be why you see ads for kickstarters boasting that they were "funded in ten minutes".

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I just hate that aspect of it, even though I'm glad it has led to really cool things being made.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

mellonbread posted:

In order to meet any funding target, you have to give people a reason to buy in early, rather than sitting on the fence until after the product comes out.

I suspect there's a second order effect where fence sitters are more likely to buy in if they see a large initial rush of funders. This might be why you see ads for kickstarters boasting that they were "funded in ten minutes".

Nah, you don't. If it's a product people want, a lot of those people don't want to wait for another year for the second printing to hit actual stores. You might not have as big of a profit margin for the first printing as the second, but you don't have to sell the stuff at a loss.

Being first in line is plenty of incentive to back kickstarters, especially the ones that go crazy over target.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I just noticed that the Grognardia blog has been going again (for the last 18 months or so).

gonna do some reading.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The Kickstarter for the Old School Essentials box sets has started, with special deals on the bundles for the first 24 hours(60 bucks for either box set by itself, 100 bucks for both together, and 200 bucks for both of those plus 6 adventures and the DM screen, also a free T-shirt and a free copy of the second issue of the official OSE zine Carcass Crawler for any of those bundles for that first 24 hour period as well), so better hop to it

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
At this point I have most of a shelf of OSE stuff I haven't even read (I skimmed the Basic Rules one time), so I'm going to give it a pass. Doesn't seem like they have anything significant above what I got before and during the last Kickstarter, either? Boxes for the individual books and Carcass Crawler #2?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The individual books(and the box for the classic set) are also getting new cover art so there's that, also Carcass Crawler #3 is a stretch goal

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Empty Sandwich posted:

I just noticed that the Grognardia blog has been going again (for the last 18 months or so).

gonna do some reading.

Oh poo poo, that is very interesting. I spent a while several years ago reading his blog. Him and the Digital Antiquarian are probably still my most read blogs.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Empty Sandwich posted:

gonna do some reading.

The folks behind Mörk Borg should include "Made the Grognardia guy start blogging again" in their list of awards and accolades.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Yeah it was the weirdest poo poo, JMal just started blogging again out of nowhere like nothing happened at all.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Johnny Landmine posted:

The folks behind Mörk Borg should include "Made the Grognardia guy start blogging again" in their list of awards and accolades.

well poo poo, as if I didn't already love that game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sax Solo posted:

Yeah it was the weirdest poo poo, JMal just started blogging again out of nowhere like nothing happened at all.

Tbf, it's not like Maliszewski left under some giant cloud of controversy or bad political opinions or something. His dad died, he had a mental breakdown, and he just quit. The only controversial part was getting the Dwimmermount kickstarter finished, which did get passed off to Autarch successfully. It's not like if Zak took a couple years off and came back posting incredibly anodyne takes and everyone just shrugged.