Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Soul Dentist posted:

Howard Zinn's A People's History was also the textbook for my US History class

A People's History is kind of garbage history, its very influenced by ideology and incredibly willing to omit facts that it finds not useful to the narrative it tries to build. I know there's a lot of garbage history books that do the same thing but in favor of going "rah, rah, nationalism" but I don't think that two wrongs make a right here.

It's a shame, too, because no history book that's more rigorous but just as left wing has gotten a fraction of the notoriety that Zinn's has

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Eh we were correctly taught that it was a narrative, like all texts. I would worry if it was just like the only reference for the class, but it was really just a jumping off point for debate

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah if you want a history book that has no udealogy influencing it you don’t exactly understand what ideology is

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Rats arrived in the Galapagos Islands around 1850, and ate all the tortoise eggs for over 100 years. When they started trying to save the species in 1965, all of the surviving tortoises were over 110 years old, and biologists managed to save several species by getting them to reproduce and protecting the eggs.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My classes were taught exclusively out of History of the United States: Abridged

English and Drama used The Complete Works of Shakespeare: Abridged

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I understand the need to present students at that level with somewhat condensed and simplified materials, but that's taking abridged too far.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Brawnfire posted:

English and Drama used The Complete Works of Shakespeare: Abridged

This version? I saw it live, it’s hilarious.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd4h16DWpdU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Chamale posted:

Rats arrived in the Galapagos Islands around 1850, and ate all the tortoise eggs for over 100 years. When they started trying to save the species in 1965, all of the surviving tortoises were over 110 years old, and biologists managed to save several species by getting them to reproduce and protecting the eggs.

Thinking about long-lived animals always blows my mind. There may well be Greenland sharks swimming around that were born contemporary to Tilly and Wallenstein.

Also, apparently there's a way to detoxify their flesh to make an icelandic delicacy? Stop that Iceland. That shark belongs in a museum!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Chamale posted:

What did they do with all the cats

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

Milo and POTUS posted:

What did they do with all the cats

shot them from helicopters except for judas cats that were specially marked cats that gave a false sense of safety to the other cats on the islands

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Thinking about long-lived animals always blows my mind. There may well be Greenland sharks swimming around that were born contemporary to Tilly and Wallenstein.

Not much of a life though. Just floating through the ocean while parasites destroy eyes and maybe if you're lucky you'll get laid after swimming around for a century.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Alhazred posted:

Not much of a life though. Just floating through the ocean while parasites destroy eyes and maybe if you're lucky you'll get laid after swimming around for a century.

whoa spirit animal right there

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Seriously, I wanna be an eye-eating parasite

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Brawnfire posted:

Seriously, I wanna be an eye-eating parasite

Rent your house out and you're halfway there

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also, apparently there's a way to detoxify their flesh to make an icelandic delicacy? Stop that Iceland. That shark belongs in a museum!

Stuff like hakarl (but also potatoes) makes me wonder how they discovered when the plant/meat was detoxified. Like, "Leifur, it's your turn to taste the piss shark, remember to give a thumbs up if it isn't lethal anymore."

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

My old boss once bragged to me about eating Greenland Shark in Iceland and I got super mad at them.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Alhazred posted:

Stuff like hakarl (but also potatoes) makes me wonder how they discovered when the plant/meat was detoxified. Like, "Leifur, it's your turn to taste the piss shark, remember to give a thumbs up if it isn't lethal anymore."

I would wager this is more a case of "there's no good food available, let's try to survive on this zombified shark we found" and most of the time you die or get awful cases of indigestion. The few times this doesn't happen are tremendously interesting because, hey, new food source! So those preparation techniques survive, because their creators did, and nobody remembers Leifur who shat himself to death.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i have a camembert that expired two weeks ago in my fridge

it smells like bad egg farts when i open the fridge but it tastes great so im gonna keep it for a while longer, see if i can finish it before i get sick of the smell

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Arctic food is especially interesting. I could see how somebody would come to believe in intelligent design of the world for humans.

"Oh, that whole arctic winter thing is leaving the inuit with a critical lack of vitamin D? Good thing animals here conveniently have flesh with crazy amounts of just that!"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Burning your own fat also releases the vitamin D stored within.

This was a neat trick before modern sedentary lifestyles broke the annual cycle of putting on and losing weight.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Carthag Tuek posted:

i have a camembert that expired two weeks ago in my fridge

it smells like bad egg farts when i open the fridge but it tastes great so im gonna keep it for a while longer, see if i can finish it before i get sick of the smell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ayw4C4m6ao0
It was a Viking who first took
a pot full of sour milk and put it on a boil
It smelled so strange that he did not get peace
Then he put in jar and dug the jar down
And the jar was in the pig pen, and the pig pen was behind the toilet
and the smell did not spoil anyone, and the grass began to grow
and days became weeks and winter became spring and the jar stood in the dung for eight hundred years

A spring day at 16-hundred-and-17-fifty
came the jar for a day where a bear had a den.
And the farmer who found it was hungry and gray-haired He said: "It smells like hell, but tastes really good!"
And hey also ha, also rinse'n down with booze,
and then heisann and håsann, that taste wasn't tame,
and jump also hiccup also hark also cough.
Oh you freshly baked devil! that was some cheese!

Hu, hey,
old cheese for breakfast,
old cheese til brunch,
old cheese for dinner,
and old cheese with tea in the evening.

You can muzzle and sniff it and smoke like tobacco,
use it as an enema and flambe it in cognac
and if gets so old that it gets hairy
you can take it to the opera and let it sing

And hey also ha, also rinsed down with booze.
And then heisann and håsann, that taste was tame,
and hopsan and hiccup and hiccup and cough Oh you freshly baked devil! That was some cheese!

Hu, hey,
old cheese til brunch,
old cheese for dinner,

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Alhazred posted:

I wonder if it's often some variant of,

"the Hibernian slave who tried to kill me survived the rotten shark punishment, and the only difference I can think of is that Hralfr soaked it in piss as a joke"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

øv den er ikke tilgængelig i dk :(

e: found one

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Alhazred posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ayw4C4m6ao0
It was a Viking who first took
a pot full of sour milk and put it on a boil
It smelled so strange that he did not get peace
Then he put in jar and dug the jar down
And the jar was in the pig pen, and the pig pen was behind the toilet
and the smell did not spoil anyone, and the grass began to grow
and days became weeks and winter became spring and the jar stood in the dung for eight hundred years

A spring day at 16-hundred-and-17-fifty
came the jar for a day where a bear had a den.
And the farmer who found it was hungry and gray-haired He said: "It smells like hell, but tastes really good!"
And hey also ha, also rinse'n down with booze,
and then heisann and håsann, that taste wasn't tame,
and jump also hiccup also hark also cough.
Oh you freshly baked devil! that was some cheese!

Hu, hey,
old cheese til brunch,
old cheese for dinner,

You can muzzle and sniff it and smoke like tobacco,
use it as an enema and flambe it in cognac
and if gets so old that it gets hairy
you can take it to the opera and let it sing

And hey also ha, also rinsed down with booze.
And then heisann and håsann, that taste was tame,
and hopsan and hiccup and hiccup and cough Oh you freshly baked devil! That was some cheese!

Hu, hey,
old cheese til brunch,
old cheese for dinner,

This made me look up gamalost and I found this VICE article.

quote:

Honestly, I didn’t even like it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Speaking of buried dairy products, I kinda wanna try bog butter too (I usually find butter unnecessary on most smørrebrød, but I feel like this might have a kick that would obviate coldcuts)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bog_butter

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Peanut Butler posted:

I wonder if it's often some variant of,

"the Hibernian slave who tried to kill me survived the rotten shark punishment, and the only difference I can think of is that Hralfr soaked it in piss as a joke"

"I am Hralfr and this is Male Donkey. Today we're eating piss shark."

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Alhazred posted:

"I am Hralfr and this is Male Donkey. Today we're eating piss shark."

*skáld giggling & humming intermittently while writing as fast as he can*

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I always figured ancient people observed what other animals ate or tested things on their dogs or domestic livestock if they weren't sure, rather than experimenting on themselves or other people.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I assumed someone was like "I'm hungry I'll eat that mushroom" and died then someone else came along and was like "lmao don't eat that mushroom" and told everyone.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

*reasonable voice* probably a mix

you have dozens of generations of knowledge what to eat and what to, but once in a while some idiot tries to eat the bad milk or the dirt shark. but it turns out its sometimes ok?

usually they die from it, but a generation later an old person will tell their grand children: "don't eat the spoiled milk unless it has a hard scab" or "don't eat the buried shark unless somebody pissed on it"

that seems reasonable enough, so they keep doing it the way that works

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 23:12 on Feb 25, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Poisons tend to have effects short of ingestion of a lethal dose.

If you don’t immediately swallow a bowlful, but instead work your way up from skin contact, there are a relatively small number of poisons that will take you by surprise.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

we are getting in somewhere between paracelsus "the dose is the poison" and homeopathy

but yea

ps cf birds of prey taste-testing when grubs are about 50/50 bad but not if theyre mostly either good or bad
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-022-05600-5

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Platystemon posted:

Poisons tend to have effects short of ingestion of a lethal dose.

If you don’t immediately swallow a bowlful, but instead work your way up from skin contact, there are a relatively small number of poisons that will take you by surprise.

"yeah so I drank the old wheat goop. I lost all inhibitions, became suicidally bold, threw up, passed out, and now I feel like poo poo."

"gently caress yeah my dude let's invent agriculture to make more"

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Cogito Ergot Sum

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Soul Dentist posted:

Cogito Ergot Sum

:guinness:

I had to re-read this but it’s perfect

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Soul Dentist posted:

Cogito Ergot Sum

memento munchy

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Carp diem

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
:nice:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Carthag Tuek posted:

we are getting in somewhere between paracelsus "the dose is the poison" and homeopathy

There is a word for this

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mithridatism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The funny thing is that it genuinely works for a lot of things. Like, the most common poison, alcohol, tolerance is a very much personally observable thing, you can see where people get the idea from. (after all, the difference between a medicine, a drug, and a poison, is often merely dosage)