Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Genghis Cohen posted:

What's the 'Fake Irishman' thing?

O'Brian spent much of his life implying he was Irish when he actually wasn't

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/famous-non-irish-irishman-left-questioners-at-sea-when-they-asked-about-his-origins-1.231500

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jack Aubrey -- Sam Eagle

Stephen Maturin -- Kermit

Lt. Pullings -- Gonzo

Lt. Mowett -- Fozzie

Captain Howard - Rowlf the Dog

Peter Calamy -- Scooter

Mr. Allen -- ???

Mr. Hollum -- Walter

William Blakeney - ???

Barret Bonden -- Animal

Killick -- Pepe the Prawn

Awkward Davies -- Bobo the Bear

fill in the blanks

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
that needs to happen

Dr. Sneer Gory
Sep 7, 2005
If anything, Jack has Fozzie's sense of humor.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Do you think Fozzie is ready for a lead dramatic role?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Sweetums could play Padeen.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

My favourite answer to the "turn the entire cast into muppets except one character remains human" meme is for everybody on the Surprise to be a muppet except the midshipman who gets bullied to suicide

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Jack is miss piggy.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

builds character posted:

Jack is miss piggy.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Muppet discussion rocks but the idea of Maturin's loyalties vs actions isn't as terribly off base as it seems. The idea of national pride was very different in early 19th century (pre Napolean, pre 1848, barely outside the French revolution). If the idea of "Irish national who wants Independence or Home Rule sailing with the British Navy" is hard to swallow, then the truth would be worse. Nelson's own fleet was about a quarter Irish. It wouldn't have been considered a conflict to be fighting for Irish Independence while also fighting FOR His Majesty against Napoleon. Napoleon wasn't going to help Ireland so why not fight him for some coin? I'd imagine it was pretty common for men to be sailors their entire life for the British while harboring those views. The fact that Maturin came to the Navy from destitution and a lack of prospects due to his political situation and, uhh, general airheadness makes it even more believable.

Now, Maturin as a character who just happens to be in the middle of all these situations that clearly exercise these loyalties is kinda tough to believe but that's pretty common for a literary character.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

freebooter posted:

My favourite answer to the "turn the entire cast into muppets except one character remains human" meme is for everybody on the Surprise to be a muppet except the midshipman who gets bullied to suicide

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Welp, time to watch Muppet Treasure Island again

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Perfect.

Maybe it's because I always found most of the non-Sesame Street muppets frightening and offputting as a kid, but it's comedy gold to me to imagine the scene where he's making his way through the lower decks on the verge of a panic attack while they're all staring at him malevolently, and it's just all those horrible little puppets.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

freebooter posted:

Perfect.

Maybe it's because I always found most of the non-Sesame Street muppets frightening and offputting as a kid, but it's comedy gold to me to imagine the scene where he's making his way through the lower decks on the verge of a panic attack while they're all staring at him malevolently, and it's just all those horrible little puppets.

Yeah, the below decks scene they'd all be played by the goblins from Labyrinth.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Thank you, very illuminating. TBH, while it raises interesting questions about the author, why he changed his name, how he saw himself etc, it doesn't really affect my view of the characters. I don't think you need to be from Ireland to write about an Irish character, especially not one from outside your own lifetime - the past is a different country and they do things differently there, after all.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

builds character posted:

Jack is miss piggy.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

builds character posted:

Jack is miss piggy.

This and no other.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Arglebargle III posted:

Stephen Maturin -- Kermit

Movie Stephen is Kermit, book Stephen is either Gonzo or Dr. Bunsen Honeydew.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

TerminalSaint posted:

Movie Stephen is Kermit, book Stephen is either Gonzo or Dr. Bunsen Honeydew.

Does this make Padeen an exceptionally large and muscular Beeker?

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!

Genghis Cohen posted:

Does this make Padeen an exceptionally large and muscular Beeker?

I am down to watch a montage of Giga-Beeker's descent into opium addiction and withdrawal-fueled rampage.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Sinatrapod posted:

I am down to watch a montage of Giga-Beeker's descent into opium addiction and withdrawal-fueled rampage.

Dear god, what have we wrought?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

builds character posted:

Jack is miss piggy.

Blonde, stout, enthusiastic about violence

It's perfect

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Phy posted:

Blonde, stout, enthusiastic about violence

It's perfect

This makes Stephen Kermit, which... works surprisingly well.

(Edit: I forgot how thoroughly that was covered already, but yeah. Kermit is definitely Stephen)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Laudanum Stephen

Cocaine Stephen

Sober Stephen

Stephen stepping off the boat at Pulo Prabang after practicing with a rifle for the entire sailing

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Phy posted:

Laudanum Stephen

Cocaine Stephen

Sober Stephen

Stephen stepping off the boat at Pulo Prabang after practicing with a rifle for the entire sailing

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Still on my first-time read through and just finished The Commodore and it's almost sort of sad, from a reader's perspective, that Jack's now a commodore commanding a squadron. It's like in the later seasons of a sitcom when the carefree 20-something housemates become 30-something adults and pair off and get married and have kids. Makes you miss the simpler times of being a POW in Boston. Thought I do admire that O'Brian managed to drag out his just-a-captaincy for a full 17 books, and the four-book circumnavigation feels like a last hurrah for those youthful adventurous days.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

Just finished my first read-through of these books with Blue at the Mizzen today. I think I'll leave the unfinished one for a few years down the road, as other goons have suggested.

Is there a standard recommendation for physical copies of these books? I think I recall some goons saying that a recent collection was not very good quality and I'd like to avoid that.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Sarern posted:

Just finished my first read-through of these books with Blue at the Mizzen today. I think I'll leave the unfinished one for a few years down the road, as other goons have suggested.

Is there a standard recommendation for physical copies of these books? I think I recall some goons saying that a recent collection was not very good quality and I'd like to avoid that.

I have read the box set. It's fine. It has some typos and the paper is extraordinarily thin but it has nice bookmark ribbons attached to each book and neat cover art and it doesn't take up a whole shelf.

I generally prefer reading the series as ebook though these days, if only for larger type.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Sarern posted:

The unfinished one is incredibly short, like a few chapters maybe, if at that, but a nice reminder that Jack and Stephen kept on sailing. It gives you an idea of where O'Brian was headed with the story; it has been a long time since I looked at it but I think he was mining Cochrane's life again but at this point https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Cochrane,_10th_Earl_of_Dundonald#Chilean_Navy

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
This was linked in this (or its predecessor's) thread, and it was a nice read about the unfinished 21 and feelings about finishing the series:

***do not read if you have not finished the series***
https://www.tor.com/2011/02/28/forever-bailing-patrick-obrians-last-unfinished-novel-and-the-end-of-the-aubrey-matrurin-series/

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
hey! new fan here. master and commander is the gayest maritime novel i have ever read, and i have read moby dick. five stars

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

hey! new fan here. master and commander is the gayest maritime novel i have ever read, and i have read moby dick. five stars

Wait until you find out there's more

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phy posted:

I'm going to read these again sometime. It may take a while, but I'll be back.

Well, that didn't take very long. A little longer than it feels like, though.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

On my first read-through and just finished The Yellow Admiral and absolutely loved that ending. Bringing the timeline back out of its frozen-in-amber status and ending with a letter bearing that sentence - "Napoleon has escaped Elba" - was genuinely as shocking to me as it would've been to Jack and makes it feel like the series suddenly has stakes beyond the characters' personal lives again. Not that I ain't invested in the characters' personal lives, but it's a certainly fresh take after 17 or 18 books, and was a genuine frisson-inducing ~Moment~.

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

Sarern posted:

The Norton hardcover edition, I believe out of print now, is probably the "easiest" to acquire second hand if you live in north America. The Harper Collins was the bookstore softcover standard for the last decade or so, and there are also the smaller, pulp style paperback editions that I have never seen brand new. I have about half the series in the norton and half Harper Collins, and the latter (softcover) tend to fall apart after a half dozen reads. I check every used bookstore in every city I go to and it has taken me about sixteen years to replace half my softcover with used hardcover editions. I also have several books on my Kindle app for travel reading and its super comfortable to read on my phone.

I think there was a short-lived Folio edition.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Pages from the end of Master and Commander and I'm looking up the battle of Algeciras, and from there Lord Cochrane, and drat, this book really is Cochrane, isn't it? If I'm reading this right there's even an engagement or two that Cochrane has, but Jack misses, due to getting pulled away from his cruises.

(Like, seriously, right down to when Cochrane was boarding Cacafuego's counterpart, the ship's surgeon really was the only man left aboard Speedy)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yes Cochrane's life forms most of books 1 and 11.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

Huggybear posted:

The Norton hardcover edition, I believe out of print now, is probably the "easiest" to acquire second hand if you live in north America. The Harper Collins was the bookstore softcover standard for the last decade or so, and there are also the smaller, pulp style paperback editions that I have never seen brand new. I have about half the series in the norton and half Harper Collins, and the latter (softcover) tend to fall apart after a half dozen reads. I check every used bookstore in every city I go to and it has taken me about sixteen years to replace half my softcover with used hardcover editions. I also have several books on my Kindle app for travel reading and its super comfortable to read on my phone.

I think there was a short-lived Folio edition.

Thank you!

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
I’ve got the first book as a Folio Society version but those are all now long sold out. As with most FS editions, they are very nice objects but not necessarily the most convenient choice for actual reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Aaaah this had never occurred to me until now but they have to use expensive copper structural bolts because iron bolts in the hull would be corroded by the electrical connection with the sea through the ship's copper sheathing. I wondered why they used copper pins in the keel that incentivized the dockyard stealing it like with the Polychrest or the Worcester. They can't use iron in anything that might touch the copper sheathing!