Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

assuming that headline is even accurate,

absolutely pathetic that the president of the United States can’t tell the United States Postal Service what to do

I don’t care about whatever administrative explanation there is, it’s just loving pathetic. it’s just made up rules that trump already demonstrated you can ignore. what a broken country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
but think of the decorum!

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
The Rage-Virus-Infected-Chimpanzee of the CIA has been rampaging unchecked by the POTUS for a half a century, this is like one of the lemurs from a smaller pen getting out

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

The gods were correct to punish Prometheus.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Wait did we not pay off another company 500m already to cancel the contract on mail trucks? Like did we get credit?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

lol

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Capitalism doesn't need to be inevitable or a natural state even if it is almost unimaginable for many to picture alternatives. It was the ideology in place when some people learned how to reliably burn fossil fuels and created incentives for themselves to keep doing so. All that massively beneficial energy would definitely still be exploited by any ideology succeeding it. Like, historically, communism has presented no true ecological alternative to capitalism. Favourable examples like Romania's forests get cancelled out by unfavourable examples like the Aral Sea, and an unfavourable baseline of constant fossil fuel use. We would definitely be much better equipped for the interconnected climate/energy/resource crises under worldwide communism, but I doubt they would have been delayed.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

absolutely pathetic that the president of the United States can’t tell the United States Postal Service what to do

I don’t care about whatever administrative explanation there is, it’s just loving pathetic. it’s just made up rules that trump already demonstrated you can ignore. what a broken country
lmao that it's been a year and he still hasn't replaced DeJoy

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 days!)

i met a nice old man burying a goldfish in one of my constructed habitats

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 days!)

i'm thinking of making a website where i share my guerilla habitat restoration techniques for the use of others worldwide. but, a lot of my guerilla habitat restoration techniques involve building big piles of woody debris and i'm not sure i trust the general public to do that without catastrophe. knowing my luck, someone would try to apply my methods and burn down portland and then i would be officially a terrorist

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

Car Hater posted:

You will like dieoff.com

RIP Jay Hanson

this is an awesome site, and the argument on the front page is incredibly powerful. goddamn.

been thinking about it all day, gonna have to do a piece on it i think. this is the tightest version of the extinction determinism argument i've ever seen.

i'm going to kill it dead.

(off the top of my head at the moment - pre-historical overshoot dieoffs, historical collapses, and the capitalist MASS EXTINCTION EVENT (!) are not qualitatively comparable, not even remotely. there are also tons of instances where energy gluttons have lost wars against weaker opponents. this is another instance of boogbrained historical flattening to try to generate a deterministic 'welp;' outcome to relieve themselves of any kind of agency or historical responsibility - but he nonetheless has some really good points re: current conditions.)

yeah the piece is happening. gimme a few days.

emTme3 has issued a correction as of 01:45 on Feb 24, 2022

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I thought about my rant and realized I was using capitalism very broadly, as a stand in for the drive to accumulate and consume. Other better ways exist (although someone pointed out that communists can overconsume and pollute too). They have been tried, but although they may win a few battles they always seem lose the war, since a society based on aggressive expansion and extraction is better at domination. It makes me think about how egalitarian and matriarchal societies have existed and even flourished for a time, but over the long term they've lost out to patriarchy.

I think the issue is intrinsic to humanity, but look forward to the effort post rebuttal to doomer determinism.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Rime posted:

Is it? Non-capitalist societies existed and proliferated for all of human history, many of them persisting in stability for hundreds or thousands of years before dissolving. Capitalism, in the way we understand it, is younger than most of the nations practicing it. This is an ideology and social structure barely 300 years old. An eyeblink. It’s a mental pandemic rapidly burning itself out, along with its hosts, while a few pockets of independent thought continue to struggle through.

The rest of this is just the classic “inevitability” rhetoric which has been hammered into your head by a lifetime of being exposed to the propaganda used to prop up and perpetuate these systems. Darwinian evolution does not apply to societies of conscious individuals.

I hope you don’t take this as an attack, but I can’t tell if you’re joking there at the end or not. more likely I just missed the point because I’m tired. But, I’m pretty sure Darwinian evolution applies to all life, conscious or otherwise, and we are very nearly done proving it on a global scale.

Obviously, this thread is full of people smarter than the average bear who are still, of course, members of this species. But just because some of us can see, some of us can change, doesn’t mean anything in the final analysis. Yeah, we used to enact evolutionarily stable strategies, until one evolved that was not stable, but so successful in the short term that it eradicated all the rest and then eradicated itself.

TBH I’m not really sure what we’re quibbling about at this point :shrug:

Lordshmee has issued a correction as of 02:40 on Feb 24, 2022

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 4 minutes!
there’s this cool book called settlers by j Sakai....

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Mameluke posted:

Capitalism doesn't need to be inevitable or a natural state even if it is almost unimaginable for many to picture alternatives. It was the ideology in place when some people learned how to reliably burn fossil fuels and created incentives for themselves to keep doing so. All that massively beneficial energy would definitely still be exploited by any ideology succeeding it. Like, historically, communism has presented no true ecological alternative to capitalism. Favourable examples like Romania's forests get cancelled out by unfavourable examples like the Aral Sea, and an unfavourable baseline of constant fossil fuel use. We would definitely be much better equipped for the interconnected climate/energy/resource crises under worldwide communism, but I doubt they would have been delayed.

The 20th century "Communist" states were industrialized authoritarian power structures holding little in common with historical egalitarian societies found in the Americas - which managed to successfully not wholesale turbofuck the environment for over 15,000 years.

Whether the issue is the industrialization or the top-down authoritarian hierarchy is the issue at hand, not the (vague, largely irrelevant) academic distinction between "capitalism" and "communism" as ideological labels.

Lordshmee posted:

I hope you don’t take this as an attack, but I can’t tell if you’re joking there at the end or not. more likely I just missed the point because I’m tired. But, I’m pretty sure Darwinian evolution applies to all life, conscious or otherwise, and we are very nearly done proving it on a global scale.

Genetic evolutionary processes do not apply to societies.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

Why do the fire season dates end on 9/22 :thunk:

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

emTme3 posted:

this is an awesome site, and the argument on the front page is incredibly powerful. goddamn.

been thinking about it all day, gonna have to do a piece on it i think. this is the tightest version of the extinction determinism argument i've ever seen.

i'm going to kill it dead.

(off the top of my head at the moment - pre-historical overshoot dieoffs, historical collapses, and the capitalist MASS EXTINCTION EVENT (!) are not qualitatively comparable, not even remotely. there are also tons of instances where energy gluttons have lost wars against weaker opponents. this is another instance of boogbrained historical flattening to try to generate a deterministic 'welp;' outcome to relieve themselves of any kind of agency or historical responsibility - but he nonetheless has some really good points re: current conditions.)

yeah the piece is happening. gimme a few days.

Oooh I look forward to it, hopefully it changes my mind. I can pile on top of the content on the site with more evidence but I'll just be pedantic and say it's not technically inevitable, just so much more likely than other outcomes as to appear so.

I should be fair! though I have been exaggerating, and taking for granted the existence of woody plants, coal, and oil on other worlds, and that is a foolish thing. I should say that my position is not quite Jay's, and I do think humans as-is could have coasted in and out of repeatedly collapsing pre-industrial civilizations for a good long time. Industrialization though has a whole set of it's own incurred rules about entropy and maintaining your machines that align with the endless growth idea and that's the line we crossed. Converting dead energy to useful mechanical work is just too addictive for the beneficiaries to let go of, and they gain enough advantage from it to fend off challenges.

E; I do think of dieoff as a "why we can't respond to capitalism" more than a "the development of capitalism is inevitable" but wrt other sapient life in the universe it's the same thing - either small collapse loops or go for the gold and do the big collapse by consuming more than an acceptable amount of power

Car Hater has issued a correction as of 03:29 on Feb 24, 2022

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

nikosoft posted:

cause you're not allowed to start fires outside of fire season? These things have to be regulated or people are going to be starting fires all over the place for the stupidest reasons.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

nikosoft posted:

Yeah wtf. In CA I count on fire season lasting until November at the very least. October is always warm and windy and it's the furthest in time away from (what passes for ) the rainy season.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

Lol

https://twitter.com/BjornLomborg/status/1496539527036510214?t=eAQu-m2xF4wK82crzcb5gA&s=19

Because, of COURSE we'll adapt. Idiots. God.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i like how that guy claims to be a climate expert but doesn't understand that there is a finite amount of land to burn

you fools, overall amount of land on fire is shrinking not growing. Your predictions of 100% of the earth on fire every summer by 2100 will not come to pass!

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

slightly heartened that this guy seems to get raked in the replies to most of his tweets. only slightly

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook
Jfc...I hate whoever posted that tweet I quoted...

What a noxious swamp of loving ghouls that's led me into.

https://twitter.com/SteveForbesCEO/status/1495784884350197767?t=sWJt5fkjceIYYFuipOMLdQ&s=19

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

twenty years ago the postal service got a giant bipartisan gently caress you with the pension funding death sentence they were handed

it's hilarious to see it paid right back with total disrespect for its nominal controllers

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook
The loving TAKES...

https://twitter.com/CormacHarkin/status/1496557114805870593?t=SXZcKxK1H_cAH2aEhXO9dQ&s=19

K I'll stop, I'll take a sixer for that

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I might need to workshop it a bit but what if instead of the green new deal we had a word that made it an action, a lifestyle in itself? I think Mr. Forbes would be a great example we could all follow in CEOmposting

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

Basic Poster posted:

Jfc...I hate whoever posted that tweet I quoted...

What a noxious swamp of loving ghouls that's led me into.

Don't worry, they, and all of their loved ones, will probably die horribly.

Pity that the rest of us will along with them

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Sorry for those of you who thought climate change mattered, looks like we'll nuke ourselves extinct first after all

https://twitter.com/JenGriffinFNC/status/1496681322869362691

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
don't threaten me with a good time

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Sorry for those of you who thought climate change mattered, looks like we'll nuke ourselves extinct first after all

you kidding? nuclear winter is the best way to reverse global warming

the madman has figured it all out

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

some nerd posted:

you will live to witness manmade horrors beyond your comprehension

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The Protagonist posted:

you will live to witness manmade horrors beyond your comprehension

not if the nukes drop lol. I'll be vaporized instantly

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Cup Runneth Over posted:

he's just saying what we want to hear

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

you kidding? nuclear winter is the best way to reverse global warming

the madman has figured it all out
this

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5solptGBsBk

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Modern tactical nukes wouldn't eject enough particulate into the stratosphere to change much.

If there is a lot of them maybe.. but who knows.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
who said anything about tactical nukes

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

do it you loving coward.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cup Runneth Over posted:

not if the nukes drop lol. I'll be vaporized instantly

hell yeah. turning off my emergency alert on my phone tonight gonna just rest up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
hope they nuke Ohio