Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

orange sky posted:

I thought what led to the current situation was Russia positioning soldiers in the border of a neighbor country after not getting what they want and giving them orders to advance, sorry.

You're right let's deescalate and do nothing, it worked in the past. I'm sure this expansion won't continue, this time it'll work.

lol when has the US deescalated anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1496701074933108740

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

1stGear posted:

The Azov Battalion getting annihilated at the moment of contact would be the one silver lining to all this.

one Azov base is reported as a target of this stuff, and some very unconfirmed but would own if true reports of local anti-nazi militias ganking Azov boys as soon as poo poo went down.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

spacemang_spliff posted:

CNN stressing that there are definitely no neonazis in Ukraine. No mention of Azov though

CNN taking the bold stance of backing the donetsk region's independence

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/Anthony/status/1496700497083916290

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Seriously, though, it cannot be overstated how much of Putin's foreign policy is inspired by American neoconservatism, with an even tighter, leaner focus on 'gently caress you, getting mine'. This is him basically doing his own take on Iraq in order to show his declining capitalist-imperial rivals that he can outplay them at their own game.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Glimm posted:

moron, the oligarchs need to be neutered

take all of their wealth

actually take the rest of the billionaires wealth, too

Who is gonna take the wealth? The same people that took everything during the collapse of the USSR and led to the oligarchy?

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Glimm posted:

ahhahaha just give the strongman everything he wants, forever

Do you have any idea how many "interventions" the US has led in the last 80 years? Grow up.

Russia is doing what the US does. They clearly feel this is in their vital interest. The only way to stop them will be global war. Who is going to fight that? You?

Once again, hegemony has rotted your brain. You can't deal with the idea that sometimes the other guy says "no" and your best option is to say "fine."

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

now would be a great time for putin to drop the piss tape

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

stay safe super sus

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Chamale posted:

There's no substantial armed anti-fascist faction in Ukraine right?

there is now lol

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Sherbert Hoover posted:

I don't know what I'm talking about but my read is that the azov battalion etc are groups that exist already and want to fight Russians and separatist rebels, so the government said ok go for it because it's easier to supply them rather than scold them or crack down on them.

Which is not a Good Thing but also doesn't mean that Ukraine's government is nazis. Am I off base here?

The Azov battalion was recently integrated into the Ukrainian national guard. They are not just a relic of times past.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

orange sky posted:

I thought what led to the current situation was Russia positioning soldiers in the border of a neighbor country after not getting what they want and giving them orders to advance, sorry.

You're right let's deescalate and do nothing, it worked in the past. I'm sure this expansion won't continue, this time it'll work.

nah this is where it stops, every country that borders Ukraine is part of NATO, save for Moldova, and no one cares about them so they're safe.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Sherbert Hoover posted:

my read is that the azov battalion etc were groups that existed

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Glimm posted:

take all of their wealth

go for it dude

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Raine posted:

we live in hell + none of us had any say in this

im just gonna roll with it tbh

:same:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I feel like all my posts in this thread are going back and forth from being caveated with "gently caress America though" or "gently caress Russia though"

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
the problem with the boss being asleep right now is that they’ve probably got Klain, Blinken, and Austin jockeying to be the man in charge of the historical moment which is a little dangerous

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

paul_soccer12 posted:

there is now lol

Well, anti nazi at least, in fact a historically very successful anti nazi force

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

paul_soccer12 posted:

there is now lol

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

lmao i hope we get videos of this. tremendous content holy poo poo jesus christ

rip president funny man

Snake Dance
Jan 5, 2020

by Azathoth
wow seeing dozens of reports that missiles are launching from bases in the US midwest.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Joementum posted:

the problem with the boss being asleep right now is that they’ve probably got Klain, Blinken, and Austin jockeying to be the man in charge of the historical moment which is a little dangerous

tiger team!

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Serf posted:

i am just hoping that biden's afghanistan pullout remains the policy of the day and we don't send in troops

I don't think the same kind of smash-and-grab looting that Iraq and Afghanistan were mostly about is viable in Ukraine or Russia so ehh the defense contractors will have to find some other way to get paid

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

paul_soccer12 posted:

there is now lol

lol

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

so the biden administration wasn't full of poo poo and putin did invade. good job, 1000 points to the acela corridor.

now how exactly was that vigorous finger wagging and threat of sanctions going to stop putin if they knew he could just...take the ukraine?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

going to lol and lmao when the bandera lovers in western ukraine start begging poland to annex them

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

from the weeknd tweet an hour ago, this whole chain is fantastic:

https://twitter.com/reaganb1234/status/1496695413843374086

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Glimm posted:

take all of their wealth

I don't think anyone involved in this fighting is interested in expropriating assets from capitalists, op

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Serf posted:

as an american this sure sounds like somebody else's problem

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

sexpig by night posted:

it's 100% true, this is literally what NATO views Ukraine as 'for', that's why they wouldn't ever let them in proper and poo poo. Ukraine exists to NATO to soak up Russian aggression.

This is my read too.

We loving pulled our troops and diplomats out while continuing to encourage Zelensky to stall Minsk II!!

He got set up. I can’t read it any other way.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

spacemang_spliff posted:

CNN stressing that there are definitely no neonazis in Ukraine. No mention of Azov though

One step above NBC which is currently platforming and praising the neonazis

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Grapplejack posted:

nah this is where it stops, every country that borders Ukraine is part of NATO, save for Moldova, and no one cares about them so they're safe.

I would assume Moldova is going to play ball at this point, considering.

hekaton
Jan 5, 2022

sure wish i could understand what the hell was going on with my life
so i could be properly upset when things happen
can biden even be woken up? like is he sealed in a tank of adrenochrome every night and cannot be disturbed?

gonna be weird if theres a whole war and noone bothers to wake up the president right

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

Putin wants Ukraine to be a buffer against NATO.

NATO wants Ukraine to be a buffer against Russia.

As soon as Ukraine started making moves towards becoming a military threat to Russia and/or a forward base for NATO the situation became untenable. Putin's actions here are completely rational, even if the West doesn't like it. Putin is basically cleaning up his yard.

This isn't going to change anything on a global scale while thousands of people will die.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

lol

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

:eyepop: I was assured that this was not happening a few pages ago.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Snake Dance posted:

wow seeing dozens of reports that missiles are launching from bases in the US midwest.

*anxious vomiting*

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

yea I'm starting to think this comedian who won election by default and only stayed strong by constantly locking up his enemies when they got too popular may have been a moron or something

tbf you like think every political leader is a moron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Darth Walrus posted:

Seriously, though, it cannot be overstated how much of Putin's foreign policy is inspired by American neoconservatism, with an even tighter, leaner focus on 'gently caress you, getting mine'. This is him basically doing his own take on Iraq in order to show his declining capitalist-imperial rivals that he can outplay them at their own game.

Our neocons and hawks can't loving stand the fact that he is so much better at this poo poo than they are. It literally drives them insane and I fully expect the rhetoric coming out of them for the next few years from this point on to be unhinged as gently caress.