Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

my bony fealty posted:

neoconservatism was ultimately about making Dick Cheney and friends rich, Iraq and afghanistan were convenient targets that hadn't already been looted by the west. yeah you had idiots who wanted to make Iraq the 51st state or whatever but that was never an actual goal

Ukraine borders Russia and they have centuries of shared history, its very different!

Is it? I'm not sure that Putin draws a particularly hard distinction between rulership and looting. He seems to have an extremely Cheney mindset towards the general principle of governance, both foreign and domestic:

https://twitter.com/danfinn95/status/1495873689342074882?s=21

It's why I don't entirely buy the image of him as some sort of neo-feudal throwback. His style of statesmanship seems very modern - a hard-core, purestrain capitalist whose ambitions are geared more around himself than some abstract historical ideal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

TeenageArchipelago posted:

isn't that a video from the recent gaza violence? I think that's the iron dome blowing up rockets

Volume on

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

loooooollll

no way is Russia gonna realty end this war this quickly that’s insane

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

the US basically just diminished here on the world stage didn't it~

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Jay-V posted:

freakin zerg russia'd

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Robo Reagan posted:

its late so biden is sundowning and theyre trying to not have him ask Gorbachev to stop invading

lol

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

fits my needs posted:

lol joe bidens gonna get cartered

more like he's gonna get Benjamin Harrisoned

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

SchrodingersCat posted:

Because honestly, NATO really has no choice in this situation but to stay home

lol no it is exactly that framing that caused this bloodshed

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

I dont think Ukraine has antimissles

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

this is the energy we should all be bringing

https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/1496686700235718658?s=20&t=ESzTUv4QKCDaDy7F3Kp0dw

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Robo Reagan posted:

its late so biden is sundowning and theyre trying to not have him ask Gorbachev to stop invading

listen Mack-hail

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

my bony fealty posted:

libs really have to cling to this dumbass great man idea that the real world is Harry Potter and Putin is Voldemort, they cannot conceive of forces acting above the level of "evil villain guy does bad things"

which posts of mine say this

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Lastgirl posted:

the US basically just diminished here on the world stage didn't it~

another NATO force falls to pieces the moment it faces a real opponent

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

correction: volume off

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TeenageArchipelago posted:

isn't that a video from the recent gaza violence? I think that's the iron dome blowing up rockets

yeah, that's probably israel footage

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Atrocious Joe posted:

Ukraine has had like a handful of ships.

caught this vandalism in real time lol
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrainian_Navy

A good portion of the fleet including it's top admiral defected to Russia in 2014, so it's not like they have a lot of ships.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
This war is going to last like two days

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
WATCH PUTIN END A loving WAR

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/theweeknd/status/1496690244753641472?s=19

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Al-Saqr posted:

as an Arab Middle easterner I spit on the American empire they delivered me fascism

so many americans completely oblivious about the absolute slaughter and misery they've enabled in yemen over the last decade

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/status/1496689337618112512

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Lmao

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

You know how the taliban sort of just walked into kabul and took over because they had a bunch of incognito fighters setting everything up before the bulk showed up. Yeah thats whats happening right now

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

flawless victory

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Blitz of 404 Error posted:

I dont think Ukraine has antimissles

certainly ukraine having this kind of air defense network and russia landing paratroopers in kiev can't both be true

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

sounds like someone needs to spank naughty boy putins ripped, sweaty, fake bear wrestling rear end
I knew we should have ended Russia years ago and I will be happy to oblige
*boys?*
*Joe Biden rips off his human skin suit*
Lizard joe: “Time to pay the Piper”

*Papa Roach’s “Last Resort” plays*

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

orange sky posted:

Holy poo poo I can't believe that people itt are actually defending or rationalizing Putin's actions, talk about brainworms. Dude's obviously belligerent and out of his mind, the world just let him have Crimea with barely any consequence and he wasn't satisfied with that, he started this whole thing out of sheer fear of losing power.

The world isn't full of comic book heroes and villains.

People do things for reasons that make sense to them. Trying to understand that and realistically how much leverage you actually have isn't appeasement, it's just critical thinking and good judgment.

heel turn
Jan 6, 2004

Some boy tried to step to me at the county fair. I said son u clearly have no ideal what creek im from
https://twitter.com/EchoMskNews/status/1496703387412410374?s=20&t=LRY-CgOZp2wdVcIX7GfqHA

Putin's video was recorded on Monday according to the metadata

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

drat never miss a shot to self-promote

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Good soup! posted:

correction: volume off

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Jay-V posted:

freakin zerg russia'd

putin is a dishonorable thug who does not respect "no rush 5 min"

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
If putin annexes Moldova literally nobody will notice or care

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Israelis are Russians and Ukrainians too so volume won’t make a difference lol

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Cao Ni Ma posted:

You know how the taliban sort of just walked into kabul and took over because they had a bunch of incognito fighters setting everything up before the bulk showed up. Yeah thats whats happening right now

it really does seem like it, guess that'll solve the whole 'what does the average Ukrainian think about Russia' debate fast huh

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

CNN saying the Biden administration was drawing up plans for potentially evacuating Zelensky

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

twoday posted:

This war is going to last like two days

lol

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Here's to fossil fuels! The cause of, and solution to, all the US's foreign policy fiascos!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

SchrodingersCat posted:

The extent of US knowledge into the Russian military plans makes me wonder if there was some sort of handshake agreement on this or if Russia outright told the US "This is what, how, and when it's going to happen." And the US/NATO knew there was no legit tactical way to defend Ukraine, or for Ukraine to defend itself.

Because honestly, NATO really has no choice in this situation but to stay home and the sanctions are toothless.

I imagine Russia just didn't give a gently caress that their plans leaked like a sieve because they knew nobody was going to do anything about it. so the US response was just to leak all the intelligence constantly in the hopes that the bad PR would kill or stall the invasion, figuring that since nobody had tried that one before it was worth a shot

love the situation where some belligerent state just rolls into another country and nobody in the world can do a thing about it because doing anything about it just makes things worse for everybody. feels very Iraq.