Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The fact that there's still pedestrians walking into cars while Russian air strikes crack off in the distance makes these streams oh so much more interesting.

"
Strikes targeted Myrhorod airfield
"

"
Strikes targeted Odessa airport
"

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Zotix posted:

Where's the footage? Flying in any of these forces is no small feat. It would be dozens of planes/ helicopters.

Lack of footage on Twitter is not proof of something not happening. You don't necessarily land at the airport, either: you can drop into an LZ a few kilometers away and walk in or even drive with pre-positioned civilian trucks. Lots of options. And yes, anything like this is risky and can go to poo poo very quickly, but Russia's military is very much capable of air mobile operations in addition to airborne operations.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Cugel the Clever posted:

I'm awfully curious what the response to events is from those who've so consistently raised the snarky "loool they've been saying the invasion would happen soon for weeks, this is just warmongering bullshit intended to prop up the Western MIC" line.

I don't think I made a post, but I was dead sure it was nonsense. Probably should have started re-evaluating the situation after Minsk was declared dead and then again after nordstream 2 was halted

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

KillHour posted:

That's the kind of thing that would be blatantly obvious to a sophisticated propagandist like Russia, so I can only imagine it was intentional.

"sophisticated propagandist"

Doesn't know how to delete metadata.

Blows up the wrong SUV.

Stages car bomb with medical cadavers.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Majorian posted:

I was wrong.

I also think this is kind of a scummy time for you to be settling your forums grudges.

I actually agreed with you earlier when you said Putin can’t invade all of Ukraine with just 200k troops.

But holy poo poo it looks like he’s going to try. :(

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Cugel the Clever posted:

I'm awfully curious what the response to events is from those who've so consistently raised the snarky "loool they've been saying the invasion would happen soon for weeks, this is just warmongering bullshit intended to prop up the Western MIC" line.

CSPAM is a click away!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1496704849743863814

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

I just hope that Russia has put as much effort into their actual invasion plans as the propaganda leading up to it and the whole thing collapses into a pile of rubble.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

I'm surprised they still have jets left.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

BoldFace posted:

I'm surprised they still have jets left.

They've been preparing for this for years. They've got the 2nd largest army in the region.

Russia's strike is going to hurt, but Ukraine won't see their entire military blown away overnight.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
https://twitter.com/IntelCrab/status/1496692666028990465?s=20&t=wyy6342v37LNi6uNakk7WA

Literally sounds like it's from WW2 archival footage.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

LiveUA map is down.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Ynglaur posted:

Lack of footage on Twitter is not proof of something not happening. You don't necessarily land at the airport, either: you can drop into an LZ a few kilometers away and walk in or even drive with pre-positioned civilian trucks. Lots of options. And yes, anything like this is risky and can go to poo poo very quickly, but Russia's military is very much capable of air mobile operations in addition to airborne operations.

There are some crazy stunts in history where something like that has been pulled off, but having participated in actual airfield seizure exercises I'm super skeptical of control being announced that fast.

Even jumping on to an abandoned, friendly airfield just for practice there're always a half dozen dumb things that cause confusion or go wrong that make things take hours.

It's just hard to believe they wrapped the thing up and put out a press release that fast. I'd expect they'd still be just trying to get accountability of where the gently caress everyone landed at the point these tweets came out.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

the popes toes posted:

I remember my European mother said that she cried when the then USSR moved against the Hungarian Revolution, in 56, and put them down hard. Before the Soviets moved in, the US had encouraged the revolution on the official VOA and she said the Hungarians fully believed that the official encouragement meant we with with them and would assist. We didn't assist.

This line of thinking is strongly discouraged here as war-mongering, but I can't reconcile the idea that letting this happen is in any way acceptable. There's no "right" answer here but watching Ukraine get steamrolled by Russia on live TV while we talk about "sanctions kind of maybe" feels loving terrible. This isn't getting involved in some religious/cultural dispute so we can destabilize the region for money and oil. This is a major power declaring a hot war and letting them do it because we only feel like playing world police when the other side can't hurt us. It loving sucks.

Baronash posted:

Blows up the wrong SUV.

They literally just phoned this one in.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Baronash posted:

Blows up the wrong SUV.

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPR/status/1496706656159375362?t=f4MyJlNLk0ev4YLBOp8z3A&s=19

Or he just didn't give a poo poo that everyone knew it was fake and/or staged.

"Yeah. I know it's all obviously fake and an excuse to do what I want. What are you gonna do about it?"

He knew the answer was "not much"

Edit: second source, Moscow reporter

https://twitter.com/PjotrSauer/status/1496706597942345735?t=TZkBYvgudKsMfiFrV9-gIg&s=19

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 24, 2022

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I actually agreed with you earlier when you said Putin can’t invade all of Ukraine with just 200k troops.

But holy poo poo it looks like he’s going to try. :(

Well, tbf there's a difference between invading a country/crushing its military on the one hand, and fully occupying it on the other. Here's hoping Putin realizes that, for the sake of the Ukrainian people.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
How different are dialects with Russian spoken in Ukraine and Russia itself? Would Ukrainians be able to pick up on a Russian trying to blend in or vice versa?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

sticksy posted:

I'm watching CNN (yeah, I know they're dogshit but they generally have the best international coverage) and they pointed out that Putin was wearing the same suit, tie, and watch today announcing this military action commencement of war as his unhinged speech on Monday so probably another pre-recorded sign that this was preordained and always going to happen

Putin just doesn’t do laundry. Who’s going to tell him he’s smelly?

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Sent a voice message to my friends in Zakarpattya.

One of was awake and replied, 'Calm down, we will win."

Ukrainians, man.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
https://twitter.com/edokeefe/status/1496705301764050944

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/Militarylandnet/status/1496707265956622336

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
It wouldn't help with the current Russian belligerence, but I really hope Sweden and Finland take this as an opportunity to join NATO.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

KillHour posted:

This line of thinking is strongly discouraged here as war-mongering, but I can't reconcile the idea that letting this happen is in any way acceptable. There's no "right" answer here but watching Ukraine get steamrolled by Russia on live TV while we talk about "sanctions kind of maybe" feels loving terrible. This isn't getting involved in some religious/cultural dispute so we can destabilize the region for money and oil. This is a major power declaring a hot war and letting them do it because we only feel like playing world police when the other side can't hurt us. It loving sucks.

its a reminder of how powerless we are, if some madman with tanks and guns want to end your democratic experiment tough loving luck. And that's what terrifying, there isn't anything 99.9% of us can do about it.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Jarmak posted:

There are some crazy stunts in history where something like that has been pulled off, but having participated in actual airfield seizure exercises I'm super skeptical of control being announced that fast.

Even jumping on to an abandoned, friendly airfield just for practice there're always a half dozen dumb things that cause confusion or go wrong that make things take hours.

It's just hard to believe they wrapped the thing up and put out a press release that fast. I'd expect they'd still be just trying to get accountability of where the gently caress everyone landed at the point these tweets came out.

Very good points. It's also just as possible right now that it's effectively part of the maskirovka. I.e. Get a few tweets out that seem authentic claiming something happened. Sow uncertainty and force Ukraine's military leadership to spend decision cycles verifying things that are unlikely to be true. It's also likely that while the "main" attacks began at 4:00am local, other, non-kinetic operations started far earlier.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
EDIT - Already posted. I'm a moron.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

That's a sound you don't want to hear

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

It's almost certainly not true

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

This was posted a couple pages back and is complete misinformation.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Reddit so no embed

cruise missile flies over an australian livestreamer

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/t01yxn/missile_flying_over_aussie_journalists_on/

edit: tweet copy of the video

https://twitter.com/KrisSpiegs/status/1496704847743172609

drunkill fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Feb 24, 2022

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Ynglaur posted:

Very good points. It's also just as possible right now that it's effectively part of the maskirovka. I.e. Get a few tweets out that seem authentic claiming something happened. Sow uncertainty and force Ukraine's military leadership to spend decision cycles verifying things that are unlikely to be true. It's also likely that while the "main" attacks began at 4:00am local, other, non-kinetic operations started far earlier.

The fog of war is about to completely cover most of Eastern Ukraine (and the region as a whole), there will be TONS of misinformation, intentional and otherwise, especially as reporters flee and we have to rely on poo poo like random soldier tiktoks and dudes filming out their windows.

Take every specific military operational news with a grain of salt until hours after verification.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.
Well poo poo... I didn't think the rear end in a top hat would actually do it. I give my best to anyone here in Ukraine. Your country is being invaded by a complete shitbag who needs to be wacked before this is over.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Pook Good Mook posted:

How different are dialects with Russian spoken in Ukraine and Russia itself? Would Ukrainians be able to pick up on a Russian trying to blend in or vice versa?

Probably depends on the parts of the countries. Moscow-and-nearby accents are extremely obvious due to a big vowel shift (and are different from "TV anchor" accent), dunno about lots of other places. Ukrainians speaking Russian can mix in some Ukrainian influences but it's hard for me to think of them explicitly and I don't know how distinct they are. Donbass in particular is known to have people who use many. But it's not like it's Croatia or something.

Flagellum
Dec 23, 2011

spurdo av master race so what

Flagellum posted:

Now they are saying "all side bad" and how NATO and the U.S. forced Putin to do this. But looking at this Russian operation it's very obvious they had a war plan from the beginning and now they are just following it throughly. All the talks and NS2 etc. didn't really matter because the decision was probably made months in advance.

https://twitter.com/PjotrSauer/stat...ingawful.com%2F

yep

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

KillHour posted:

It does suck. It’s heartbreaking to think of the death and destruction. But the question is, do we want more? In the past 70 years when has a powerful nation joining in this kind of war brought anything but more death and destruction? I hope Putin is dead sooner than later and Russia finds a way to become more reconciliatory. I hope Ukraine retains or regains their right to self determination. But I would prefer the bloodshed be kept to a minimum for all sides.

Edit: I originally wrote 100 years because my math is poo poo. I’m thinking Korea and on

i am a moron fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Feb 24, 2022

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Few things are happening

Ukraine declares marshall law

Russia claiming it's hitting military targets only with "precision weapons"

Air ports military installations air fields. All the air superiority stuff.

Kyiv airport has been evacuated.

Kyiv mayor tells citizens to stay home.

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

Pook Good Mook posted:

Not that many dialects in Russian, and yes

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I am so loving mad, and sad, I can't believe this, can someone tell me this isn't real please someone.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mooseontheloose posted:

its a reminder of how powerless we are, if some madman with tanks and guns want to end your democratic experiment tough loving luck. And that's what terrifying, there isn't anything 99.9% of us can do about it.

We could have done "joint military exercises" with Ukrane that just happened to line up with Russia's "military exercises" if we did it a month ago. The US's military is so big that our Navy is the world's second largest Airforce, for gently caress's sake. But that was a political non starter.

i am a moron posted:

It does suck. It’s heartbreaking to think of the death and destruction. But the question is, do we want more? In the past 70 years when has a powerful nation joining in this kind of war brought anything but more death and destruction? I hope Putin is dead sooner than later and Russia finds a way to become more reconciliatory. I hope Ukraine retains or regains their right to self determination. But I would prefer the bloodshed be kept to a minimum for all sides.

Edit: I originally wrote 100 years because my math is poo poo. I’m thinking Korea and on

Russia is saying "we're going to cause death and destruction and if you try to stop us we will cause even more" and your argument is pretty much "you heard what they said, nothing we can do." Sorry if that feels unsatisfactory, even if it's logical in a vacuum.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Feb 24, 2022

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

A potentially less dishonorable demonstration would be to dismantle Ukrainian hardware and then withdraw. Putin could announce that his purpose was to remove the threat. It would also be a pointed reminder that any Ukrainian desire to enter Nato is illussory. At this point, I might prefer this outcome to the ugly alternatives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

the popes toes posted:

A potentially less dishonorable demonstration would be to dismantle Ukrainian hardware and then withdraw. Putin could announce that his purpose was to remove the threat. It would also be a pointed reminder that any Ukrainian desire to enter Nato is illussary. At this point, I might prefer this outcome to the ugly alternatives.

Oh its certain he is going to put up a puppet state