Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Scags McDouglas posted:

Ah yes the old creative-writing mystery post. No way this is real.

Like literally imagine your SO not allowing you into a wing of the house and explaining that you'd just be upset by what you saw and the first thing you do is not to muscle past and go look.

Here's one I believed slightly more as true, especially given the update.

I.... don't know if I believe that the update was written by her.

Then again, this is a lot like a plot thread from a famous TV show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Well, I've had one audio hallucination of people talking in the next room when I was completely alone and the TV and radio were off. I just thought someone had left the TV on until I left my room and realized it was off. Nothing since then. Sometimes brains do misfire, and given the fact that a phone inside the safe wouldn't get signal that's the most likely explanation. Hopefully it's not indicative of a serious medical problem, but very glad she's getting it checked out, especially if she's pregnant because that's a vulnerable health time.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Pregnancy can occasionally cause hallucinations so could be that

All the hormones and chemicals in your body going whackadoo can sometimes short circuit the brain

That said they can be a sign of an oncoming pregnancy psychosis, so I am glad she's talking with her doctor.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 24, 2022

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Pregnancy can occasionally cause hallucinations so could be that

All the hormones and chemicals in your body going whackadoo can sometimes short circuit the brain

That said they can be a sign of an oncoming pregnancy psychosis, so I am glad she's talking with her doctor.
My vague, not at all a neurologist understanding is that a decent amount of our sensory processing is our brains filling in the gaps and sorting through junk data, and sometimes they can just slot in the wrong information accidentally, especially if you're tired or there's something else going on. Hopefully it's nothing serious for her, but yeah, definitely talk to a doctor.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Remember the weird mashed potatoes?

Funktastic posted:

AITA for telling my husband that his potatoes are gross and that's why the kids and I refuse to eat them?

They were made! :toot:

Zero_Grade posted:

So I went ahead and made the Suspicious Potatoes.

I used Yukon Gold, as it is the superior mashing potato. Here are three pounds boiled and mashed. It’s a bit :geno: looking, as the recipe doesn’t yet say to add any of the normal things that give mashed potatoes life.

First four ingredients added. That is a lot of cheese and garlic, by the way. The Havarti alone was like 2/3 of a bar. Starting to have my doubts on this one, but let’s continue.

Yeah, so as many suspected, the ranch dressing was where things started to go south. A cup of ranch is a very unsettling amount.

Since the recipe got somewhat vague at this point, I had to improvise. I used about three times the amount of onion powder that I felt would be logical to add. I’m not sure why this needed more garlic in a different form, but whatever. “Herbs” was vague, so I went with a sprinkling of oregano and dill. The dark spot in the center is the (ugh) sesame oil.

It looks fairly innocent when plated, so maybe this won’t be as nasty as I’m fearing? There has been an increasing unpleasant smell in the air that's hard to describe ever since it was mixed together though.

Final verdict: it’s very bad. The ranch is overpowering yet unsatisfying. Most of the seasonings feel entirely pointless. The proportions all feel wildly off and somehow it’s both bland and gross. I’m unsure if even gravy could save this; I leave that to a more daring soul. It’s also incredibly heavy, I don’t even want to think about how many calories are in this poo poo. If I had to say something nice about it, the Havarti made it pretty creamy. I finished maybe 1/2 the bowl before my willpower ran out. This is a crime against potatoes, which did nothing to deserve this.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

MarcusSA posted:

That seems pretty convenient.

The dad would still have to sign something and I'm not sure the courts could force it if he refused tbh.
IANAL. Late to this, but yes the courts can force it. It’s called a termination of parental rights. They generally take several years but would probably get granted in a situation like this.

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

Sisal Two-Step posted:

AITA for uninviting my best friend to my wedding?

Our ​friends say they see both sides of the story and claim I'm TA for not being the bigger person and being dramatic with uninviting her. My parents who adore my bff are also mad at my decision and claim I'm an AH for not including her in the engagement too in the first place and now for uninviting her to the wedding.

The obvious solution is to let her become your 'C'. After all, isn't every good relationship made up of the two partners who actually want to be in it, plus one of their bffs who's been not-so-secretly pining after them their entire lives and refuses to let go?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Troublemaker posted:

The obvious solution is to let her become your 'C'. After all, isn't every good relationship made up of the two partners who actually want to be in it, plus one of their bffs who's been not-so-secretly pining after them their entire lives and refuses to let go?

It takes two pillars to hold up a monument, after all.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for disappearing for a night after my husband ambushed me with an unwelcome surprise?

quote:

Throwaway to protect the guilty. I feel like this was justified, but I’m told my reaction was “intense” and an overreaction.

I (29F) am NC with my father. We had a really good relationship when I was a kid, but he cheated on my mother, who already had some mental health issues, and was caught in a pretty damning way. The aftermath was horrible and deeply traumatic, let’s just leave it at that [OP specifies in a comment "I can’t explain what my father did to my mother without violating the rules of the sub"]. I had just started college at the time and basically my whole life fell apart within about a week. My father tried to justify it and I told him that the options were (a) immediately break up with the woman he cheated with and go to therapy with me to find out if I could ever forgive him or (b) get out of my life. He picked (a) but didn’t actually break up with her, I found out because I expected that and she sucks at covering her tracks, so I haven’t spoken to him in a decade and he’s essentially dead to me. I miss the dad I had in childhood sometimes, but otherwise I don’t regret cutting him off. My older brothers also cut him off shortly after, though one is back in LC to a degree.

My husband comes from a very different kind of family and the whole situation is mind blowing for him, largely because his parents are lovely and would never do something like this. He can’t imagine things being so bad that you would just never speak to your parent again. We’ve talked about it a couple of times in the past and he asked if I would ever reach back out, for closure if nothing else. I said “over my dead body”, so I thought he understood.

A couple of weeks ago, he asked me to meet him for dinner after work, which we do occasionally. We had just gotten sat down and talked for a minute when my husband said that he had a surprise for me. A minute later, my father walks up to the table. I immediately got up and walked out, they followed me, but I got in my car and left before they could catch up. My phone started ringing, so I just turned it off. I checked into a hotel and set up my work laptop and spent the rest of the evening working because that helps when I’m upset. I didn’t turn my phone back on until the next morning and saw I had over 50 missed calls and a bunch of texts and DMs from people trying to contact me.

My husband has apologized profusely for the whole thing, evidently my father reached out to him some time back and he thought I would change my mind after hearing what he had to say. He was furious with me for just completely disappearing, though, because he thought something terrible had happened to me or that I had left him. I told him it served him right for going behind my back and tricking me, but the mutual friends he reached out to to see if they had heard from me think I overreacted and I should have let him know that I was safe.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Kurieg posted:

This man's entire family wants him to just settle and marry his insane childhood friend and it's gonna end badly.

I do get vibes of the family wanting to set up the autistic stick in the mud with the quirky manic pixie dream girl who'll teach him how to be fun and spontaneous and some assorted romcom poisoned poo poo.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mx. posted:

AITA for disappearing for a night after my husband ambushed me with an unwelcome surprise?

Arnold in the phone booth turning to OP, "Your husband is dead"

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Mx. posted:

Your husband believes a man he has never met knows what you want, over your repeatedly-expressed statements otherwise. That says more than enough.

Why you would contact him in any way that wasn’t a divorce lawyer is beyond me.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Mx. posted:

AITA for asking 10 neighbors to have a talk with a homophobic neighbor? I didn't expect they all would... But all did, one after another, and angered her more.

lol

I really needed that read something wholesome like that after the Texas bullshit today.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Scags McDouglas posted:

Ah yes the old creative-writing mystery post. No way this is real.

Like literally imagine your SO not allowing you into a wing of the house and explaining that you'd just be upset by what you saw and the first thing you do is not to muscle past and go look.

https://allthatsinteresting.com/dolly-oesterreich

Sodium Chloride posted:

A+ content

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Sodium Chloride posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1h11xZ86MY

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

sephiRoth IRA posted:

This is why I bailed out of academia. That and my wife said "I want to move to X state once you defend" and i replied by deleting my academic leads word document and getting a job in public health in that state instead

A friend of mine is a comparative religion professor who specializes in satanism and has does expert witness work and he’s helped exonerate some of the satanic panic convictions from the 1980s, which is like 99.999% kids being fed leading questions that got them to testify that everyone at their after school care which started at 3:30pm flew everyone in a spaceship to the moon to be molested daily but were back in time for parent pickup by 5:30pm, and other absolutely bonkers poo poo (like, owning a copy of the necronimicon, which is basically a movie prop, is evidence against people some of these trials).

His wife is a tibetologist on a bunch of chinese “very dangerous tibetan separatist spy” lists who has to write her notes in code when interviewing tibetans so chinese goons won’t confiscate her notes and use them to falsely imprison people when she is doing research.

Guess how many cities, let alone universities in those cities, have job openings for both of those professor roles?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Kurieg posted:

AITA for refusing to kiss my husband's wound?

The first comment is, of course, a mod telling people that they cannot call the man who demanded his wife kiss his boo-boo a manchild.

Pro Tip: you can call them children instead of man-children. Which, imo, just the same.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Invisible Clergy posted:

I thought from the title it would be something racist, but somehow it was even dumber than that.

What in the gently caress.

I had a woman ask me to do this.

DO NOT DO THIS PUT UR PENUS AWAY AND RUN FOR THE HILLS!

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Mx. posted:

You go girl. If they've spent enough time together to be married, they've spent enough time together for him to understand she made the decision for a reason - even if he didn't know the reason. My Mrs is no contact with her mother and if I pulled this sort of thing with her I would hope that she's got the strength and confidence to leave me over it.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

AmiYumi posted:

Your husband believes a man he has never met knows what you want, over your repeatedly-expressed statements otherwise. That says more than enough.

Why you would contact him in any way that wasn’t a divorce lawyer is beyond me.

Doormats gonna doormat. If she didn't immediately leave her husband after this stunt, she probably never will, but we can always hope.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PetraCore posted:

My vague, not at all a neurologist understanding is that a decent amount of our sensory processing is our brains filling in the gaps and sorting through junk data, and sometimes they can just slot in the wrong information accidentally, especially if you're tired or there's something else going on. Hopefully it's nothing serious for her, but yeah, definitely talk to a doctor.

Yeah I have tinnitus, and sometimes it combines with background noise in a way that sounds exactly like people talking that I can't quite hear or my phone ringing or something. Usually I can focus for a second and realize it's not that but other times I do poo poo like wake up and think everyone's home but it turns out nobody's there. Lol.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for telling my cousin he is the one, who trapped his girlfriend with a baby and he would've never gotten such an amazing woman otherwise?

quote:

My cousin, Tom (27m) recently got his "girlfriend", Amy (26f) pregnant. I put girlfriend in quotes, because they weren't technical boyfriend and girlfriend yet, but they have been going out for over half a year. Now they plan to be serious for the baby and move in together.

A few of us got together, Tom, his brother, his brother's girlfriend, my husband and I. Tom started talking about how Amy has baby trapped him as women always do with men. He said that Amy has brought up wanting to be exclusive with him before, but he said no so that must be the reason why she got pregnant.

Now Tom is 27, unemployed, has been trying to get his degree for 6 years now (no degree in sight yet), has no idea what he wants to do with his life and lives with his parents. Amy has a master's degree, a nice career, her own apartment and honestly seems to be a great woman overall. I've only met her a few times, but she is fun and lovely.

When Tom said what he said, I just laughed a bit and told him that with him being unemployed, broke and living at home, he wasn't worth baby trapping. IF anyone had baby trapped anyone here, it was him, because he could've never gotten such an amazing woman to stick with him long-term otherwise.

Now he is really upset with me and it looks like he wants to cut me out of his life completely. My husband thinks I was right saying what I said, but my other cousin and his girlfriend say that even though Tom is acting really stupid, I shouldn't have insulted him so much as he is already insecure about his situation.

AITA?

lol

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
Honestly, this is just adorable.

i've been secretly using my gf's body wash bc i like it and i think she caught on. need advice.

quote:

our relationship is fairly new i would say, we (both early 20s) have been together for 6 months now and i don't want her to get the ick over this.... i've used her shower almost every night i stayed at her place bc i workout during the day or sometimes after we smash i like to take a shower since it relaxes me. one day i forgot to bring my body wash over and didn't realize until i was already in the shower so i used hers and told her i did the first time bc i forgot my soap. it smelled pretty loving good and the smell lasted on my skin all the way until the next day. my skin felt more hydrated and even my roommates asked me why i smelled that good. i had the best sleep and felt more comforted every time i moved and got a whiff of myself.

ever since then i kinda been using her soap when i showered there and tried masking the smell by pouring some of my soap in the shower stream. she knows i use her lotion tho and it smells exactly like her body wash so i think that's the reason she didn't suspect me for awhile. plus i only use like one squirt on the loofah so it's not like it's a noticeable loss, is what i thought until she came over to my place with the same soap and lotion but the bottles were brand new. she said she wanted to keep it in my bathroom for when she comes over but she doesn't really come over bc i have roommates and we prefer spending time at her place for privacy. so now i know she knows and i'm embarrassed af not even sure how to bring it up to her. i wanted to joke about it but it's just awkward since i never brought it up to her. in my defense, she did sorta laugh when she brought the soap over and saw my reaction.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Evil Willow posted:

i've been secretly using my gf's body wash bc i like it and i think she caught on. need advice.

awwww so sweet

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Mx. posted:

AITA for asking 10 neighbors to have a talk with a homophobic neighbor? I didn't expect they all would... But all did, one after another, and angered her more.

lol

Feel-good post of the year.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Evil Willow posted:

In the year before everything fell apart with that relationship, in college I flew cross country to see my high school girlfriend - when we were trying to do long distance - and discovered she had bought the same brand and scent of soap I used and put it in her shower.

I don’t know if I have ever felt like a bigger deal in my entire life. Even when the local news labeled me the Mellinium Bomber and evacuated a bunch of people from their homes (this was a big misunderstanding).

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Mx. posted:

lmao "I should have let him know I was safe."

she was safe because you didn't know where she was, dipshit

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

My(M23) child’s mother is not letting me see my child

quote:

During my senior of high school I was a bit irresponsible got a girl who I barely knew pregnant. I claimed all responsibility for my actions. A couple months after she announced she was pregnant it was time to move away for college. My family and her family tried to convince me to go to community college or state school not so far away and get a job. But I still decided to go to Arizona state which is very far from home.

My first year of college I didn’t reach out to her much and I wasn’t told about the birth of my son. I didn’t find out until my sister called me at the hospital. But now I’m graduated and I’ve been working a job for about 2-3 months and I feel like I’m ready to be apart of a family. Recently I’ve reached out multiple times for her to set up me meeting my son for the first time but she denied over and over again now she doesn’t answer my calls. What am I suppose to do?

Recently I see her posting mom pictures on Facebook with the captions “single moms do it best, strong single mom, single mom making it work” I feel like she want to put on a front like she’s doing it herself when I’m literally reaching out. I Went away so I could create a better life for my kid. My son is now 4 years old and I have never met or talked to him yet. Can I please get any advice on how to get through to his mother.

TL;DR: I have a kid who I’ve never met yet and his mom won’t let me meet him even though I’m trying

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

PetraCore posted:

Well, I've had one audio hallucination of people talking in the next room when I was completely alone and the TV and radio were off. I just thought someone had left the TV on until I left my room and realized it was off. Nothing since then. Sometimes brains do misfire, and given the fact that a phone inside the safe wouldn't get signal that's the most likely explanation. Hopefully it's not indicative of a serious medical problem, but very glad she's getting it checked out, especially if she's pregnant because that's a vulnerable health time.

Audio hallucinations are real fun when it's something like Exploding Head Syndrome. Was that really a door slamming? It sounded like a door up here, not downstairs. Should I go check? Should I just pretend I'm still asleep. Wait, what isn't the dog, who is a known coward about loud noises, whining? Huh, he's still happily snoozing. Oh, it must have just been in my head. OK, that's good...

... Holy poo poo, did someone just shoot a cannon?!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Cthulu Carl posted:

Audio hallucinations are real fun when it's something like Exploding Head Syndrome. Was that really a door slamming? It sounded like a door up here, not downstairs. Should I go check? Should I just pretend I'm still asleep. Wait, what isn't the dog, who is a known coward about loud noises, whining? Huh, he's still happily snoozing. Oh, it must have just been in my head. OK, that's good...

I sometimes hear poo poo that isn't real, my brain gets real fucky when I'm tired. Most commonly I'll hear a loud and indistinct bang that jolts me out of whatever stupor I was in but after like a second or two I'll realize that it didn't sound like anything. Like, it wasn't a gunshot, or an explosion. It wasn't something heavy falling, there was no noise of metal or wood. It was just loud, and then instant silence. The absolute worst though is that I'll occasionally hear something say my name. Never like a voice I recognize or, like the aforementioned loudness, never a real voice. It just exists, and then an instant later I get confused because I realize it didn't exist and it's super hard to explain what that feels like in words.

Anyway, content from a cool, cool, parent:
AITA for refusing to go with my 16yo/Daughter to her father's funeral?

quote:

My ex husband (My daughter's father) passed away 2 days ago at the age of (36). my 16 year old daughter begged that I go with her to the funeral because she said she doesn't know anyone there and needs my support and guidence. I refused because I did not feel comfortable and then seeing my former inlaws..it's just not worth the pain, plus that her grandparents and her younger uncle that she adores so much will be there so that is good enough. I also offered to have my brother drive her there and return her home later, but she refused and kept begging that I go with her. I told her no and that I have my reasons and that's it.

She unloaded on me yesterday calling me bitter and selfish, And said that my hatred for her dad is still there and is disgusting. I was really hurt I had an argument with her but didn't punish her for what she called me because, she's grieving and is processing her father's passing. I just cut the argument and told her to go upstairs. She went inside her room and refused to come out for lunch and dinner. My boyfriend tried to stay with her and get her to eat but she refused.

He told me later that this is obviously something my daughter is not dealing with properly and suggested I just go to the funeral because if I don't then there will be lasting resentment from my daughter. I went to bed but couldn't sleep over this. I feel like just because she wants this doesn't mean I just go with it. I never push her to do anything she doesn't wanna do.

EDIT just a minute for those who are suspecting that there's a girlfriend there that I don't want to see - No, nothing like that. My ex husband never dated after me because he was dealing with multiple chronic conditions, which is the main reason for our separation. My daughter never wanted us to divorce and she blamed me when the court granted me custody because her dad was not able to care for her. I don't hate my ex husband, he's my daughter's father and losing him is devastating for me, that is why I wanted to grief in peace. As for my inlaws, they resent me for initiating divorce in the first place and accused me of abandoning their son

The bolded edit is in the original post.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Cthulu Carl posted:

I figured out a couple ways to tell if the sounds are real - the main one being that if I know exactly what the noise was, it's an hallucination.

So, if I wake up from 'hearing' a loud noise and I know it's because my father just banged on the door then it's not real.

Usually you go "what the gently caress?" when you hear something go bang.

Nuebot posted:

It just exists, and then an instant later I get confused because I realize it didn't exist and it's super hard to explain what that feels like in words.

Yeah, it's like you have the sudden memory of the noise, but it never passed through your ears.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for making jokes when my family was invited to a "party" where the women did all the work when the men did gently caress all? The children started repeating my joke.

quote:

I'm a college student visiting my parents for a few weeks. They were invited to a neighborhood get together, a super bowl party, and invited me along.

It was such a weird vibe, unlike any party or hangout I'd been to. IDK, when my friends and I get together we all bring something to share then we just chill and hangout.

At this party, all the women were cooking and cleaning and watching all the kids when the dads were watching football and even the little girls were doing chores while the little boys were playing.

So I started making a couple little jokes to laugh off the awkwardness. First when we were in the kitchen I joked about swapping the beers we were bringing the guys with coffees so they'd get off their lazy asses.

Or like when the hosts were asking the ladies to prepare plates of food for the men and bring it to them, I was like "Yoo don't put all that on the plate, you don't want your dead weight to go up to 200 pounds girlie"

One of the kids asked what I meant by dead weight and I said someone who's just there but doesn't do anything, and some of the kid girls started making that joke. Then when my mom caught onto the kids joking about that, she chewed me out for having said it in front of the kids at all and causing drama when the kids were repeating the joke

I feel like I was just poking fun in a normal way, like if any of my friends came to a party and mooched and didn't bring any food or help with poo poo, and expected to be served, everyone would be taking the piss.

I told my mom this and she said that they were of a different generation and I asked if they'd all been asleep for the last 70 years or some poo poo.

My mom ended up driving me home early and she's mad at me for making those jokes, I'm mad at her for inviting me to a "party" that wasn't a party at all, just a day of chores but calling it a fun party.

Like I don't go invite my friends to a party and then be like "sike actually can you wash my bathroom and build a dresser?"

So why tf would someone invite me to a party like "sike you're watching some strangers kids, and being a waitress for some random dudes" Like at least they could have been like "Hey, wanna come over and babysit and help us make and serve a dinner?" And I'd either be like "no" or ask if they wanted to pay for me to babysit

AITA for having made those jokes at a "party" with a really weird vibe? , No

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

Mx. posted:

My husband comes from a very different kind of family and the whole situation is mind blowing for him, largely because his parents are lovely and would never do something like this. He can’t imagine things being so bad that you would just never speak to your parent again.
I come from a loving family that generally gets along, with parents and siblings who I want to always be a part of my life, and I find it *very* easy to imagine things being different. Seems like a huge number of these interpersonal problems start because some people can't even be bothered to *try* and imagine other people's lived experiences.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
This is definitely my own personal theory, so take it with a big ol' grain of salt, but I sometimes feel likes folks who are the same gender of the eschewed parent and who try to suddenly 'fix' that relationship do it because they are terrified that such an estrangement will happen to them one day with their own (theoretical/potential) child. So it's like they're trying to cope by acting out this scenario where they fix what's broken, so they can feel like they have power over their fear.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Blastedhellscape posted:

I come from a loving family that generally gets along, with parents and siblings who I want to always be a part of my life, and I find it *very* easy to imagine things being different. Seems like a huge number of these interpersonal problems start because some people can't even be bothered to *try* and imagine other people's lived experiences.

Also he didn't have to imagine because OP told him she was NC with the dad. The problem is that he prioritized the word of a man he had never met over his own wife.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

StrangersInTheNight posted:

This is definitely my own personal theory, so take it with a big ol' grain of salt, but I sometimes feel likes folks who are the same gender of the eschewed parent and who try to suddenly 'fix' that relationship do it because they are terrified that such an estrangement will happen to them one day with their own (theoretical/potential) child. So it's like they're trying to cope by acting out this scenario where they fix what's broken, so they can feel like they have power over their fear.

What does gender have to do with it?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Gender in that because he one day imagines the role of father for himself, he can project that onto the dad. He sees himself in the father, he sees a potential future child in his partner, and so if he acts out fixing their relationship, if he ever breaks a relationship with his own child when he is a dad, he now knows how to fix it. Viola, the mental sanctity and stability of the family unit is restored (is what the subconscious hope is).

For some, definitely not all or even the majority, I think there's a seed of 'I wouldn't want my children to do that to me :( ' that informs why they do this, a core fear that sets them on this path, over actually caring about their partner's relationship with their parent. And I know nothing about this guy, so this is absolutely just my own thing here, as someone who had a similar situation occur in my own family because of fears of repeating generational alienation

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Feb 24, 2022

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Yeah, it's like you have the sudden memory of the noise, but it never passed through your ears.

Occasionally when real tired I get what I can best describe as the sound from the movie Contact. Doesn't really have the bass component, just the high freq. A pulse of slightly electronic-sounding white noise that lasts less than a second and has sort of a 'head rush' feeling to it. Usually just happens 3-4 times in a couple minutes and that's it.

Unless it's aliens.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Is my girlfriend a psychopath?

quote:

A little background. I’m 27M and my girlfriend is 25F. We have been together for about 9 years. We’ve never married simply because neither of us is ready and we’re still enjoying life. We did just have a baby 5 months ago and things have been great. In the past, I had an issue with lying to her a lot, I would attempt to cheat on her but she’d catch me every time, I also had a really bad porn addiction that escalated to really weird poo poo (I would try to find ways to watch it after work in my car at one point). Since we’ve had our baby, I’ve been different and I’m more focused on my family then anything. I love my girl and I love what we have. Our trust has been amazing and as a result so has everything else.

So the other day, I was with my coworker on break and he thought it would be funny to park outside of this massage parlor that we know for a fact gives “happy endings”. Another coworker of ours had told us about it so we thought it would be funny to go inside, grab a card and then FT our coworker and “brag” about how good the massages were as a joke. We also sat there and scoped it out watching all the dudes coming in and out. It was hilarious. So on to the story.

That same coworker called me the next day about something. Not knowing my girl was walking around outside the room, I mentioned “the spot” we went to and said nobody had to know about that. Once I hung up, she came into the room and asked me where I went with my coworker that day. I froze up and immediately lied. I knew if I had told her the truth she wouldn’t of believed me so I didn’t even want to set myself up like that. She then tells me that she heard me mention a “spot” that I went to that nobody else had to know about and she demanded I tell her. So I did. As ridiculous as it sounded, I told her all we did was scope out the place and grab cards as a joke. She cried and accused me of getting a hand job and I begged for her to believe me. She told me that it didn’t make sense that I would sit outside and watch the place just to go inside for a card.

She then tells me if I want her to believe me that I had to call my coworker back pretending I was alone and casually ask him “When do you wanna actually go INSIDE the massage parlor? I want to get massages this time instead of just watching the place.” I hesitated because wtf. But she wouldn’t back down and I caved. I didn’t want her believing that I had gotten a hand job at some random spa. My coworker replied with “poo poo, how about we go next week when we get paid? I’m down. Let’s go inside this time”

So I put my girl on blast and tell him that I only asked because my girl is nosy and needed confirmation that i didn’t cheat on her at some massage parlor. He explains to my girl what happened, the exact story I told her, and she says to him “Look, I take care of my man in every way. Keep him out of whatever you’re doing at massage parlors. He has a family at home. “ He put on his customer service voice for her and apologized. She then apologized to me and said that she is working on trusting me again and that I should have been honest from the beginning instead of lying to her.

My coworker laughed at me when he saw me today which I guess I deserved. But idk…did I deserve this for lying or is she a lunatic?

Tl/dr : Girlfriend made me call my coworker in front of her to prove my story and then had a convo with my coworker about something we did as a joke together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

The Bramble posted:

Is my girlfriend a psychopath?

LMAO JUST LOL