Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/kothscreens/status/1496731688042332160?s=20&t=lJhh9S_hs9HFf_Cl5LIEOQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Atrocious Joe posted:

please don't helldump Zelensky, he's got a lot going on right now
it's garbage day!

- Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin, 2/22/22

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

mila kunis posted:

that seems about right. either russia completely occupies ukraine and loses the occupation (do they even have the troops to pull it off??) or they smash it up and just take bits of the east, leaving the rest that's going to be even more rabidly anti russian

it seems like a total loss for russia, espescially compared to the situation pre-maidan.

I doubt Putin really gives a gently caress about “denazification” and destroying Ukraine’s capacity to make war for a decade is close enough to demilitarization for Russia’s purposes

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

ram dass in hell posted:

extremely unfair to drones

They're not just for bombing weddings

hospitals too.

:hmmyes:

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

To be fair it's unclear if Armenia-Azerbaijan was the outlier or if the Ukrainian military getting rolled is. Like Russian jets were pretty good but it doesn't do much if the Israelis bomb them all six hours into the war

A war across mountains and plateaus is going to look different than a war across a vast plain

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I think the important thing to remember here is that the US did Iraq, theres no limit to how stupid you can theoretically get

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

twoday posted:

Putin is constantly clutching at his table and leaned backed in his chair because he can no longer control his hands, his posture has gotten worse and worse over the last five years and he's clearly suffering from Parkinson's disease. He knows his life is ticking away regardless kf everything else, so he literally does not give a poo poo anout anything anymore. So he's going all out, rebuildjng the empire, whatever. Imagine a russian who is nihilistic as well

would you consider putin's shaking a symptom of the bacille calmette-guerin tb vaccine?

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

indigi posted:

I doubt Putin really gives a gently caress about “denazification” and destroying Ukraine’s capacity to make war for a decade is close enough to demilitarization for Russia’s purposes

Buddy do you know why Russia would have a problem with a Neo Nazi state on its border?

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

StashAugustine posted:

To be fair it's unclear if Armenia-Azerbaijan was the outlier or if the Ukrainian military getting rolled is. Like Russian jets were pretty good but it doesn't do much if the Israelis bomb them all six hours into the war

Just been waiting for any reason to post this today.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Comparing Russia occupying Ukraine to Americans occupying Iraq or Afghanistan is pretty dumb. 0% of Iraqis considered themselves American when we invaded. We didn't share a border. We didn't speak the language.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

MLSM posted:

Buddy do you know why Russia would have a problem with a Neo Nazi state on its border?

Slightly different flavor of oligarchs?

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
Like the nazis exterminated a third of russias population not to long ago you know

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

StashAugustine posted:

I think the important thing to remember here is that the US did Iraq, theres no limit to how stupid you can theoretically get

it hosed up the US but it enriched certain people who ran the thing, so it's probably a fair assumption that that's what's going on here

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

logging off, please hold off on the thermonuclear war finale until i come back, tia

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?
Is Biden still sleeping through all this history happening?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 22 days!)

Tankbuster posted:

The russian demand was simply that ukraine stick to the Minsk 2 accords and create a federalised system of government. Ukraine went the other way and tried to saber rattle with western backing.

Sure, in theory that's what happened, but here's what really happened:

Zelensky: Hey, you guys will have our back right?

NATO: What? No. gently caress no!

Zelensky: Awesome. There's no way we can lose.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Phone posted:

all of those pre-emptive sanctions really worked well, eh? that's why it's 2am and we're all watching twitter videos of puppies and parakeets.

the first round of sanctions weren’t pre-emotive you nitwit, Russia was already in eastern Ukraine and putin had announced his intentions

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

resting his eyes

cmon, jack

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

FuzzySlippers posted:

Comparing Russia occupying Ukraine to Americans occupying Iraq or Afghanistan is pretty dumb. 0% of Iraqis considered themselves American when we invaded. We didn't share a border. We didn't speak the language.
remember when russia invaded crimea and actually were greeted as liberators, especially by every member of the military in the area?

i hope so!

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
wasn't there some article back when the last time russia did an oopsies that pointed out he's just basically a strain of russian nationalist that's been agitating over the need of secure buffers or whatever

and that domestically he couldn't exactly just look like a dumb bitch that backed down at the idea of the a western proxy making rude gestures over a river

it doesn't seem that hard to come up with petty reasons for all this, if you just imagine russia is america, lol

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

reports are that the sun downing president has enjoyed a nice glass of warm milk and will be decisively thinkiong about taking serious stern words in the morning, Jack

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

indigi posted:

“denazification” is code for “killing everyone who talks poo poo about Russia”, he doesn’t give a poo poo about nazis - he’s a fascist autocrat himself

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

intelligentsia is an oxymoron

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

MLSM posted:

yeah 2022 Ukraine is as dangerous as 1940 Germany too

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Ukraine is not a neo-Nazi state, stop posting blatant idiocy. The Azov Battalion exists but their only influence seems to be in getting Western media photo ops. The UK has as many Nazis and I'd rather we didn't get invaded in response.

That doesn't justify this invasion remotely. I'm not sure anything short of Ukraine actually invading Donbass would, this is pretty much a pre-emptive strike.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I think Zelensky was more concerned with not getting assassinated or coup'd. So much of international politics is just performing for points in domestic politics until some real poo poo starts.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
*incredibly smug voice* i dont believe in the legitimacy of ethno nation-states anyways so this is all academic

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Glimm posted:

the first round of sanctions weren’t pre-emotive you nitwit, Russia was already in eastern Ukraine and putin had announced his intentions

did they work or not?

don't leave me hanging, i have bird gifs to watch.

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

FuzzySlippers posted:

It's obviously not apples to apples. But the whole shock and awe missile strikes leading to sage conclusions of a quick victory same day is a bit on the nose. That and the Ukraine is a nazi country therefore the slaughter that comes with an occupation is totes ok smells of "What part of Sadam is a bad guy do you not get". I'll take all of the internet shame if I'm wrong, but this war will kill a lot of innocent people, it will result in tremendous violence, and a total cluster gently caress and any suggestions things are going to be over by months end are smooth brained and wrong.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Not So Fast posted:

Ukraine is not a neo-Nazi state, stop posting blatant idiocy. The Azov Battalion exists but their only influence seems to be in getting Western media photo ops. The UK has as many Nazis and I'd rather we didn't get invaded in response.

That doesn't justify this invasion remotely. I'm not sure anything short of Ukraine actually invading Donbass would, this is pretty much a pre-emptive strike.

Their tanks, field artillery, and other combat support service stuff is apparently just for photo ops and not symptomatic of systemic support eh.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

MLSM posted:

Americans are politically and historically illiterate, news at 11

Lots of Americans are Boomers and Xers who are brainfried by Cold War propaganda and the thought of being nuked to dust in just minutes.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Danann posted:

Their tanks, field artillery, and other combat support service stuff is apparently just for photo ops and not symptomatic of systemic support eh.

They way they have been systematically getting pwn'd seems to imply so yes.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Danann posted:

well... evidence so far would point to them just being for photo ops

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Not So Fast posted:

Ukraine was already in the Donbas republics territory and refused to pull out, they had a day where they could have agreed to withdraw from the separatist territory but didn’t, added to the fact that Zelensky said they might seek nuclear arms. doesn’t seem very pre-emotive

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Tankbuster posted:

The Turks IIRC. The Nagarno Karabakh war had the armenians btfo by azerbijani drones devastating entire platoons with minimal casualties on the azerbijani side.

the Azeris actually took quite a few casualties, it wasn’t really a walkover

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Torpor posted:

the Azeris actually took quite a few casualties, it wasn’t really a walkover

That really wasn't how it was presented in the amateur hardware press.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Russian forces seem to be advancing pretty steadily from the east without much resistance visible.

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1496740663592771587

Survivors from the airforce are bringing their planes to neutral countries

https://twitter.com/Guderian_Xaba/status/1496741180276678656?s=20&t=n1EyppYe0oTJ6_iRYSeZjQ

There is no reason to suggest this is going to go any different than the very quick intial operation predicted (https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/ukraine/2022-02-21/russias-shock-and-awe). What comes after is hard to say.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Is there proof of this?

the proof that it's true is that it was posted on cspam

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Tankbuster posted:

They way they have been systematically getting pwn'd seems to imply so yes.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

well... evidence so far would point to them just being for photo ops

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Not So Fast posted:

The UK has as many Nazis and I'd rather we didn't get invaded in response.
i do. gently caress terf island lol