Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Knowing this country we'd build a GAP generator and it'd just produce a load of high street shops full of expensive khakis.

E: have my rescue cat from Russia attempting to declare my trifle an independent region.

Mebh fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

OwlFancier posted:

On the one hand yes but I also just wish for death on a daily basis so that's not saying much.

I always liked you, genuinely sorry you're having suicidal ideation, if you want to talk I've made a temp email account folasade@opinionsbte.com , message me there talking is always good.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
RIP owlfancier

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

OwlFancier posted:

I suppose whitby itself would probably be OK cos it's in a valley, or if you lived outside it at least you'd die first which would be nice.

Considering the strength of the freezing wind coming straight in from Siberia every time I've been there any radiation trying to fall there would be blown to the Pennines in 5 seconds flat.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
That is a 14/10 cat, goddamn.

Also, holy poo poo that goal from Kirby.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

sebzilla posted:

Hoping that a combination of Bristol, Cheltenham and Fairford means enough going on close enough to me that I either die quickly or become an awesome Fallout ghoul.

I used to live in South Reading! I'd ride my bike round the Burghfield warhead storage facility lol.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

jiggerypokery posted:

Now, without having watched pmqs, can I summarise it as "we, labour, support these sanctions, but they don't go far enough!!"?
No no no, not at all.

They welcome the sanctions.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
what should they have said?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

what should they have said?

"As a show of good faith that we have no tolerance for Russian influences we have caught and compromised to a permanent end Pedo Mandelson"

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Honestly just can't bring myself to give a gently caress about our response to this. On the one hand, every single Western intervention I can name was terrible. On the other, it's increasingly apparent that non-interventionism just means interventionism except it's Russia doing it unopposed (this applies to all recent conflicts). Obviously Russia shouldn't be allowed to do that, but then we're back to the first hand again, I genuinely can't see any difference between which world power puts which fascists in charge of which countries, & the idea that the West would ever honestly intervene in the genuine interests of the peoples concerned is just laughably naive.

So in answer to NJAN99's post, the correct response would be "look for gently caress's sake can we all just please admit that we're just fighting endless proxy wars against Russia to preserve Western influence, and then we can actually have a serious conversation about whether or how we should be doing that", but I can't really see that happening for some reason

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
it rules that this ideal opportunity to tackle foreign wealth being laundered thru london is gonna go wasted. thank god

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

The Russian money laundering machine is literally woven into the fabric of the British state, it'd pretty much take the collapse of the British state to fix it

Which, like, cool I guess, but it'd probably have to come from some kind of foreign intervention at this point, in respect of which I refer you to my previous post

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Borrovan posted:

The Russian money laundering machine is literally woven into the fabric of the British state, it'd pretty much take the collapse of the British state to fix it

Which, like, cool I guess, but it'd probably have to come from some kind of foreign intervention at this point, in respect of which I refer you to my previous post

I'd like it if some sort of actual competent and non-evil entity could intervene in the UK. At this point I guess I'm rooting for an alien invasion of some sort??

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Miftan posted:

I'd like it if some sort of actual competent and non-evil entity could intervene in the UK. At this point I guess I'm rooting for an alien invasion of some sort??

why would anyone want to? it would be like like poking through a dog poo poo to unearth a morsel of corn

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

kecske posted:

why would anyone want to? it would be like like poking through a dog poo poo to unearth a morsel of corn

Humanitarian mission

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Miftan posted:

click the button in my av and come chat about alien invasions :tinfoil:

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Borrovan posted:

So you're saying Russia can't collapse the British state without hurting rich oligarchs? Gentlemen, we have them right where we want them

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Miftan posted:

We've already got Jabba De Pfeffel Hutt as PM.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Brexit nut Lilico is absolutely on fire tonight …

https://twitter.com/andrew_lilico/status/1496622476150857728

https://twitter.com/andrew_lilico/status/1496626352384098305

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Libertarians rule

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
getting a strong "but what if the blood consents" vibe from that

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm definitely of the opinion that if there's going to be a nuclear war you want to live as close as possible to the biggest, fattest target you can find because look how badly a bit of a delay at the ports and a virus almost obliterated society as we know it, now imagine what a couple of dozen MIRVs will do.

Living 15 miles from RNAD Coulport and HMNB Clyde means I'm weirdly reassured because the moment the nukes start flying, I'm a scorched loving shadow.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ha ha, very funny, TBEU is always good for a laugh...

Right?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Miftan posted:

Posadism is the answer, yes.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
https://twitter.com/theweeknd/status/1496690244753641472?t=pVO8MbNKFZRbiije5HySsw&

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Dabir posted:

Ha ha, very funny, TBEU is always good for a laugh...

Right?

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

So uh Russia is invading Ukraine.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Is it actually happening this time

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Pistol_Pete posted:

They declared war, troops are crossing the border, and they've just spent the last few hours bombing cities around the country (east and west).

So yeah it's war.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pistol_Pete posted:

It has actually happened.

FishBulbia posted:

MoD declaring phase 1 complete, all Ukr air defenses allegedly neutralized

https://twitter.com/rianru/status/1496728200025899009

Fog of war, obviously, but Russia seems to have completely rolled Ukraine. Basically up to them what they choose to do now.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

time to send in the scot’s guards 707 men + a dog

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Pistol_Pete posted:

It's been happening since 2014, but now it's officially a Russian invasion, yes.

Darth Walrus posted:

Fog of war, obviously, but Russia seems to have completely rolled Ukraine. Basically up to them what they choose to do now.

Yeah you shouldn't believe a word of that until it's confirmed by Not Russia.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Yeah you shouldn't believe a word of that until it's confirmed by Not Russia.

You would have thought the side being advised by the premier gold standard of "take out their ability to shoot back before you commit a man" armed services (the First World/west) would have come up with a method or 2 for hardening their defensive capabilities against a first strike barrage.

But this is the 2020's and tbh who knows.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
*Not* a good morning for out-of-season lightning strikes, really:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Modern weaponry generally has advanced a lot further than modern defensive capabilities. The west especially has put a great deal of effort into things trying to minimize casualties but even fighting people with extremely outdated equipment, they aren't actually very good at it, because fundamentally it just isn't possible. It is simply much easier to build a weapon that can destroy something than it is to build a thing that can prevent destruction by that weapon.

There have been things like SEAD missiles for a long time, things specifically designed to lock on to defensive anti aircraft radars using their own radar signature, and destroy them, and you can just fire a pile of them at a position and either the people there have to anticipate it and turn their radars off, or they get blown up. And even if you had things like guns designed to shoot down incoming missiles, you need a lot of them and they are a lot more expensive and difficult to make than just... more missiles to overcome them.

The general trend with attempts to preserve life in conflicts is that they only work on a small scale against generally outdated weapons, and are almost always employed by extremely well equipped powers trying to occupy places with very limited capability to fight back. They are fundamentally poltitical tools, rather than weapons of war, and are useful primarily for limiting political fallout from long term occupations and keeping defence contractors in the black. Employed in a full scale conflict between powers equipped with modern weapons, they probably aren't going to be very useful, there is a reason the US basically abandoned a pile of their MRAPs and things that were developed for the occupations of Iraq and Afghanistan, because they simply aren't useful outside of that situation, those that weren't abandoned were sold to the cops, because it turns out the role of the cops is far closer to that of a western occupying military than anything else. The other big name in this sort of technology development is Israel because they are in a similar situation with Palestine, and their iron dome thingy also don't really work that well and certainly wouldn't work against a concerted attack by a modern army, it is designed to try and stop the odd rocket put together by a woefully underequipped insurgency, not full scale military attacks.

In an actual war there mostly just... isn't anything you can do to stop massive amounts of destruction happening, especially on a fixed front line, and that's been the case since the second world war, and as far as I am aware was also the plan all the way through the cold war, nobody expected to be able to stop the USSR from rolling west en-masse and any ability to stop them would have to be predicated on counterattacking later on or just nuking them.

All of which means that if you are defending a relatively small amount of land from a well equipped attacker, you basically can't. They can simply throw massive amounts of firepower at you, with things like satellite intelligence to know where all your poo poo is in advance, and there is no technology in existence that can make that not happen, especially not in a place that, ultimately, has to have people living in it most of the time, people don't live in a state of constant military preparedness. You will in all probability be rolled over very quickly and without hundreds, if not thousands of miles of territory behind you, and equivalent reserves of troops and equipment to your attacker, they will win before any effective resistance can be coordinated.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Feb 24, 2022

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

All of which means that if you are defending a relatively small amount of land from a well equipped attacker, you basically can't.

Yes, but don't underestimate your own side. Drones (to pick the greatest tool of modern militaries, greater utility (and this is the most important point, deniability) than tanks to be frank) are a loving superb tool to do whatever the ! you want.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Darth Walrus posted:

Should probably have agreed never to join NATO while they had the chance, huh.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Pistol_Pete posted:

Should probably have agreed never to join NATO while they had the chance, huh.

Congrats on buying into Putin's bullshit justification.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
What do you think his real reason is then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Pistol_Pete posted:

What do you think his real reason is then.

A Ukraine that was increasingly cracking down on corruption and integrating with the rest of Europe was a threat to his control over Russia. Also Russian irredentism.

You should probably ask in the other thread.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Feb 24, 2022