Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

TenementFunster posted:

i do. gently caress terf island lol

true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Phone posted:

did they work or not?

don't leave me hanging, i have bird gifs to watch.

they worked great if you were trading oil and knew it was going to happen beforehand

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 22 days!)

Phone posted:

at every opportunity the US foreign policy apparatus decided to turn up the heat. instead of taking what might be considered an "L" and "appeasing" (also known as "negotiating") russia, they decided to turn up the heat.

all of those pre-emptive sanctions really worked well, eh? that's why it's 2am and we're all watching twitter videos of puppies and parakeets.

Liz Truss literally told Lavrov that Britain would "never" recognize Russian sovereignty over Voronezh and Rostov on Don. That was reported on like Lavrov baited her into a trap, but you can see in the tape that he thought he was asking a rhetorical question.

We never took the notion of diplomacy seriously, and to the Russians it was obvious.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
https://twitter.com/HOSTAGEKILLER/status/1496741972270272513?s=20&t=PZ6hKxh80GiGeysavpCwBg

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Not So Fast posted:

Ukraine is not a neo-Nazi state, stop posting blatant idiocy. The Azov Battalion exists but their only influence seems to be in getting Western media photo ops.

Lol

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Gas station was pretty busy for 10pm.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

deathbysnusnu posted:

It's obviously not apples to apples. But the whole shock and awe missile strikes leading to sage conclusions of a quick victory same day is a bit on the nose. That and the Ukraine is a nazi country therefore the slaughter that comes with an occupation is totes ok smells of "What part of Sadam is a bad guy do you not get". I'll take all of the internet shame if I'm wrong, but this war will kill a lot of innocent people, it will result in tremendous violence, and a total cluster gently caress and any suggestions things are going to be over by months end.

This is more like what happened in Georgia than America's aimless invasion of an unrelated country. If Russia gets their desired political aims accomplished there's little to gain from having occupying forces sitting around getting shot at. That's the advantage of having an actual political goal instead of vague ideas of nation building and getting rid of the entire civil sector because they were a part of the ruling classes political party.

I do think if all this hype about Russia hitting all these assets and sites in the first hours is true then it's the shock and awe Rumsfield was dreaming of.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Zisky posted:

Gas station was pretty busy for 10pm.

refugee caravan ain't gonna fuel itself

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

drat Rushia why did you invade Ukraine?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
imagining her saying this in a bart simpson voice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYDvpwsvGwc

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

oh no does this mean Zepla won't be able to do a FFXIV stream :ohdear:

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

DesertIslandHermit posted:

drat Rushia why did you invade Ukraine?

WeLoveRushia

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

Phone posted:

at every opportunity the US foreign policy apparatus decided to turn up the heat. instead of taking what might be considered an "L" and "appeasing" (also known as "negotiating") russia, they decided to turn up the heat.

all of those pre-emptive sanctions really worked well, eh? that's why it's 2am and we're all watching twitter videos of puppies and parakeets.

it was a strange turning up the heat that just placed Ukraine in jeopardy, put US credibility on the line and failed. it was the strangest foreign policy stance ever it just about couldn’t have worked no matter what actually happened.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Lastgirl posted:

https://twitter.com/Xepla/status/1496726196054339588

yea she fleein

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
lol at anyone who doesn't think this whole thing is 100% about NOT having NATO forward bases on the loving Russian border. Full stop, end of story. The only question is why NATO/the US wouldn't give that to Russia and I wouldn't be surprised if it was because the Ukrainian nationalist faction wouldn't accept that term.

As much as people dying sucks, this invasion is pretty much the only response Putin could have made to even the slight chance of Ukraine joining NATO.

If Ukraine joins NATO Russia becomes irrelevant and there is nothing they can do about it without triggering article 5 and probably ending the world.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I’m off to bed. Hopefully THEE Ukraine signs Minsk III while they can.

For those interested: The Russian Way of War: Force Structure, Tactics, and Modernization of the Russian Ground Forces (Full text, the latest publicly available study from 2017)

tl;dr if half the reports are true this was textbook and the war was decided in the first hour. Zelensky was set up to fail, the Ukrainians haven’t even put up enough resistance to force the Russians off the highway yet.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

FuzzySlippers posted:

This is more like what happened in Georgia than America's aimless invasion of an unrelated country. If Russia gets their desired political aims accomplished there's little to gain from having occupying forces sitting around getting shot at. That's the advantage of having an actual political goal instead of vague ideas of nation building and getting rid of the entire civil sector because they were a part of the ruling classes political party.

I do think if all this hype about Russia hitting all these assets and sites in the first hours is true then it's the shock and awe Rumsfield was dreaming of.

I would imagine, a temporary government will be installed and then some type of election (it won’t be a free one).

In really doubt much more the bureaucracy if not most of the military is going to stay.

The area that is going to actually give resistant if it happens will again be Lviv and far west Ukraine.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

we must protect out vital source of ff14 streamers

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Not So Fast posted:

The UK has as many Nazis and I'd rather we didn't get invaded in response.

too fuckin' bad

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Dreylad posted:

lol did americans sell themselves on another lovely weapons system?

i mean probably not since drones are fine for bombing weddings, but im sure there are people who think they have use in some kind of remotely symmetrical war

they definitely made a difference in the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict so i wouldnt count them out yet

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Liz Truss literally told Lavrov that Britain would "never" recognize Russian sovereignty over Voronezh and Rostov on Don. That was reported on like Lavrov baited her into a trap, but you can see in the tape that he thought he was asking a rhetorical question.

We never took the notion of diplomacy seriously, and to the Russians it was obvious.

yeah you say that, but have you ever considered RUSSIAN ESP MIND CONTROL POWERS???

i mean, how else can you explain that call between the estonian foreign minister talking to some EU rep about a conspiracy of the snipers in maidan shooting blues (protestors AND police officers)?

or victoria nuland doing state department stuff (read: power ranking who should be the next ukrainian pm) and saying "gently caress the EU"?

it all comes back to russian mind control technology and/or use of espers.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
2000 new posts I guess I missed the invasion huh

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

SchrodingersCat posted:

As much as people dying sucks, this invasion is pretty much the only response Putin could have made to even the slight chance of Ukraine joining NATO.

easy for you to say!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

Is Biden still sleeping through all this history happening?

He's scheduled to give a speech in ten hours

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/Investingcom/status/1496744139261722624

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I reckon it's a semantic issue. Russia can claim that they're only entering the breakaway regions and going no further, so they're not really invading Ukraine. It's ultimately just splitting hairs and doesn't actually matter. A real invasion would mean direct confrontation with the Ukrainian military.

The situation in Crimea was very different from D&L because Crimea is impossible to attack from the north, and the population there was overwhelmingly pro Russian - even more so than in the Donbas. The Russian military didn't even have to use deadly force, they took over Ukrainian bases with fist fights. They saw an opportunity to take a region that was historically Russian and whose population wanted to be part of Russia again - so they took it. In D&L the separatists had to take up arms themselves and were in immediate conflict with Ukrainian security forces. They were so desperate for weapons and vehicles that they recommissioned a museum piece T-34. The politics there are thrown off because people in the Donbas aren't really interested in being part of Russia. What they want is reintegration into Ukraine in a way that guarantees the protection of their Russian language and culture. The Russian military supported the separatists because it was an opportunity for them to keep Ukraine indefinitely unstable and keep them out of NATO.

Ukraine does have a lot of economic importance to Russia, but thanks to the post-Maidan government trade between the two has slowed down to a trickle. At this point Russia's strategic interests are purely military. If NATO can station forces and strategic weapons in Ukraine then that's a direct threat to the core of Russian territory, far in excess even than the usual threat presented by ICBMs, nuclear subs, and other such things. The Bush administration even had a plan to set up anti-missile defense systems in eastern europe for the purposes of shooting down Russian strategic weapons in case a war broke out. It wasn't feasible at the time, and had to be abandoned - but it did signal that we're dumb enough to try it if it does become feasible. So the Russians don't have to just be concerned about direct threats to their territory, but also a potential threat to their ability to retaliate.

So how does this evolve now? I suppose the strategic goal is still the same, buffering against NATO installation?

Is moving into the rest of Ukraine is still a "peacekeeping" effort as it will keep Ukrainian military away from D&L or is it full mask off invasion now?

I've just woken up and seen a bit of news, don't have full details to be fair.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

My favorite vtuber Steve from GamersNexus can only fire himself, sounds like this guy must find non-corporate oshis :colbert:

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

SchrodingersCat posted:

As much as people dying sucks,
https://twitter.com/hegelbon/status/492741034749620224

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Ardennes posted:

I would imagine, a temporary government will be installed and then some type of election (it won’t be a free one).

In really doubt much more the bureaucracy if not most of the military is going to stay.

The area that is going to actually give resistant if it happens will again be Lviv and far west Ukraine.

yeah this is what I think as well. Puppet gov made up of the quiet nazis who switch to supporting russia make up the goverment. repeal of language laws, probably something codifying the autonmy of the former donbass republics. maybe CTSO membership. Russian troops mostly leave outside of a few military bases

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/ELINTNews/status/1496742182769864708

Eastern front given in without much resistance yet

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
How long will it take to capture Kiev? 2 days
Will Zelenskyy be killed? Yes
Total Ukrainian civillian casualties: 500 dead
Total military casualties Ukraine: 3000 dead
Total military casualties Russia.: 15 dead
Will the Ukrainian army regulars hold the lines? No
Will the Azov Battalion fight to the end? No
Will drone/mud weapons be used on invading troops?: Yes
Will Zelenskyy launch attacks on the Slavs? Yes
Will Zelenskyy launch attacks on The Zone? No
-If yes; will The Zone retaliate harshly? Yes
Will Zelenskyy sacrifice Kiev (gas/nuke it)? No
Will the Slavs make a grab for independence? Yes
Will Poland do anything silly like try for land? Yes
Will Zelenskyy burn the mud fields? Yes
How long will Russia be occupying Ukraine? ~15 years
Will the Ukrainian war catalyze increased nazism in Russia?No
In the long run, will this war be good or bad for the world? Good

We have to look at what those civilian casualties are- just because they're civilian doesn't make them innocent! Lets take a look at a few possibilities:

1) A civilian walking down the street to market gets killed by a cruise missile fired at the market.

2) A civilian asleep in their house is killed when their house is targetting by a smart bomb and blown up.

OK, these two are regrettable innocents being killed- but since Russia doesn't make a habit of targetting markets or houses, they're very small in number!

3) A civilian working at a neonazi weapon factory gets killed when the chemical weapon plant is bombed.

4) A civilian security guard at a weapons depot is killed when the weapons explode.

5) A civilian contractor repairing a tank is killed by a MOAB dropped on the unit.

6) A civilian engineer is killed when the neonazi command center he works at is destroyed.

7) A civilian delivering snackiecakes to the neonazi bunker vending machines eats a 5,000lb bunker buster.

etc, etc. The list goes on. My point is that there are a lot of civilians directly supporting the military that aren't exactly "innocent" and would be mire rightly counted among the military casualties than civilian. I'm a cspammer and post for the CIA, but I acknowledge I'm also a valid military target because of what I do. And I think the vast majority of civilian casualties in this campaign will not be innocent.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Happy Red Army Day

Eat poo poo Europe

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Mia Wasikowska posted:

they definitely made a difference in the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict so i wouldnt count them out yet

They are drones: fine for blowing up infantry with minimal air defensive cover…not great against an actual military.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Lastgirl posted:

maybe she can hang out with her friend from COFFEE OR DIE magazine

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

BULBASAUR posted:

2000 new posts I guess I missed the invasion huh

Good morning, Mr. President

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

FishBulbia posted:

these border battles have gone great it’ll be over by Christmas!

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

indigi posted:

Ukraine was already in the Donbas republics territory and refused to pull out, they had a day where they could have agreed to withdraw from the separatist territory but didn’t, added to the fact that Zelensky said they might seek nuclear arms. doesn’t seem very pre-emotive

Zelensky seeking nuclear weapons is made up nonsense as well, and again we've condemned the USA before for making they excuse with Iran / Libya / DPRK.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

FishBulbia posted:

https://twitter.com/ELINTNews/status/1496686339764461580
lol this person is 25 years old, tops.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Top City Homo posted:

Happy Red Army Day

Eat poo poo Europe

If only it were the red army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

indigi posted:

yeah 2022 Ukraine is as dangerous as 1940 Germany too

A neo nazi state armed with American weaponry on russias border is a direct threat you loving moron