Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Youth Decay posted:

We should perhaps take off slow mode

done by popular demand

edit:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
It's possible that even if the Ukraine joined NATO that Putin would have attacked it anyway to test its resolve.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

For what it's worth Mearsheimer has been warning everyone who will listen that this would happen if NATO didn't stop dangling membership in front of states they had no intention of admitting.

Ever since 2008 he's been saying this.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

GreyjoyBastard posted:

done by popular demand

Thank you

I've seen reports of an airstrike near-ish (80km) the Polish border but it's reddit so can't confirm source https://v.redd.it/tkdj56av7qj81

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

It looks like not all Russians are supporting the invasion of Ukraine.

https://twitter.com/lapatina_/status/1496463974065491973?s=20&t=XB7dkFva0cy_BjRPfKnvKQ

https://twitter.com/irk_insider/status/1496499363471835140?s=20&t=XB7dkFva0cy_BjRPfKnvKQ

quote:

Two Irkutsk residents today went out in single pickets against Russian aggression in Ukraine.

“My relatives live in Ukraine. No war!" and “Are you ready to give your 13th salary for the war in Donbass?” was written on their posters.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Arglebargle III posted:

For what it's worth Mearsheimer has been warning everyone who will listen that this would happen if NATO didn't stop dangling membership in front of states they had no intention of admitting.

Can you please stop this bullshit?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
From a purely military perspective this is seemingly an incredibly effective Russian campaign. Maybe it's for the best it goes this way as it will likely minimise civilian casualties compared to a protracted war.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Despera posted:

It's possible that even if the Ukraine joined NATO that Putin would have attacked it anyway to test its resolve.

In this hypothetical scenario, there would be military from other NATO members temporally stationed in Ukraine when Russia started making advances and it would be a "do you REALLY want to start bombing bases with visiting British, German and French soldiers, Putin?" If he thought NATO wasn't effective, he wouldn't have worked so hard to make sure Ukraine would never get in.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Despera posted:

Not sure what "terms" the Ukraine could have come to with Putin. Hes been harping on all week how the Ukraine isn't a country. Become Belarussia 2.0 is probably the best the Ukraine could have gotten.

It's Ukraine. Not "The Ukraine". That's what it was called in Soviet times when it was just another Soviet republic.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

done by popular demand

edit:

Thanks for doing that. If we prove we can't handle quick posting (likely by clogging the thread up with too much misinformation) then I'll gladly accept it again.

Melancholia
Jul 5, 2021

Sally Sprodgkin posted:

Stop taking actions that would prevent me from invading you, it's making we want to invade you!

Can you not take a step back and think about what you’re saying? After Russia’s illegal actions in 2014 it became impossible for Ukraine to join NATO, but that never interfered with NATO publicly working with Ukraine on matters of accession.

Your ironic statement is unironically true! It doesn’t matter whether or not any side is right or wrong, such value judgments really don’t make any sense when discussing geopolitics. You’ve perfectly described Putin’s justification for invading Ukraine. I’m not loving defending this justification, it’s bullshit, but that piece of poo poo has been telling everyone what he was going to do for eight years, if not 14!

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Flayer posted:

From a purely military perspective this is seemingly an incredibly effective Russian campaign. Maybe it's for the best it goes this way as it will likely minimise civilian casualties compared to a protracted war.

Wait and see. I doubt the Ukrainian military would take any kind of serious defensive action right on their borders. They a probably prepared deeper in country.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Charliegrs posted:

It's because slow mode is on

what the gently caress is slow mode

Melancholia
Jul 5, 2021

Arglebargle III posted:

I’ve had to watch one online talking head after another completely dismiss Mearsheimer as some kind of goddamn apologist for Russia. People are completely unwilling to engage with the most basic understanding of international relations - of any type - and instead turn all of this into some kind of team sports.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Charliegrs posted:

It's Ukraine. Not "The Ukraine". That's what it was called in Soviet times when it was just another Soviet republic.

Yeah I forgot the which one was which sorry

i think the seinfield guy who blew up the risk board got it right

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

hellotoothpaste posted:

what the gently caress is slow mode

It's what we call it when you're posting in a thread :rimshot:

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Despera posted:

Not sure what "terms" the Ukraine could have come to with Putin. Hes been harping on all week how the Ukraine isn't a country. Become Belarussia 2.0 is probably the best the Ukraine could have gotten.

Not directed at the OP, but jumping off on this point: It would help the average D&D goon (especially in the US) enormously to realize how right wing Putin’s Russia is. The ideology is ethnonationalism effectively to the point where he’s claiming “there’s no such thing as a Ukrainian” and not just Trump but the alt right all the way to the far fringe see him as a friend. Russia literally employs loving chud trolling tactics not just in the literal troll farms but in appearances by public officials decrying a “degenerate,” “homosexual,” and “open-bordered” West.

Read the loving writing on the wall, goons. Or is that poo poo more agreeable to you than the existence of Hillary Clinton?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Flayer posted:

I wonder how long this actually been planned, at the surface level it appears to be an extraordinary amount of coordination.

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Yes, the imperialist NATO just steamrolling over all those poor counties who */checks notes*/ asked to be admitted or were invited and accepted.

Spheres of influence are not relics of the past, they are still in effect and always will be.
You can't expand as NATO into russian playground and then expect them to stay put.
Imagine what would happen if Mexico or Canada would enter a "defensive" (rofl) alliance with Russia. Would you enjoy the presence of a spetznaz battallion in Vancouver!?!?
Russia now will completely wreck Ukraine, and the fault it's all on our westerner shoulders

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

So why did NATO not want Ukraine to join, anyway? Was the will-they-or-won't-they dance supposed to be a form of appeasing Russia?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

It is way past any moment in time when Putin could have been considered a rational actor so that geopolitical analysis is off the mark.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Putin learned a lot from the terrible performance of the post-soviet russian military and has been obsessed with making the military much more effective.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Flayer posted:

It's been a few hours, we have no actual data, just random pictures from Twitter, and you're calling it for Russia already, and telling Ukraine to give up in the face of the unstoppable Russian juggernaut.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

MiddleOne posted:

I wonder how long this actually been planned, at the surface level it appears to be an extraordinary amount of coordination.

Probably since the annexation of Crimea,

European Union is currently speaking live on Al Jazeera English on YouTube.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

It's best not to engage posters about the NATO argument when it's straight from the Kremlin and Putin has invaded Ukraine already.
It's borderline victim blaming and completely obfuscates Ukrainian sovereignty and self-determinism.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i'm too mentally drained to weigh out what nato should or shouldn't have done to avoid this, but i think there's a glaring contradiction between "this is a tragic, yet inevitable and obvious result of nato's actions" and the common sentiment as recently as 12 hours ago that nato predictions of full-scale invasion were a laughable hoax by the western mic to gin up war hysteria. this is an event that seemed absurd to many, including me, when the white house began warning about it last year, and now after it's come to pass it's suddenly an outcome that nato politicians should have seen coming (and maybe did see coming?) for the last 20 years.

i know i'm conflating multiple poster who have varied and nuanced views and it's not quite that simple, but it's some very noticeable tonal whiplash between a month ago and today

mobby_6kl posted:

BTW looks like uncle Joe's intel was right after all lol :(

By struggling IIRC they were intercepting like 90% of the rockets. Even if it got overwhelemed eventually I think it would be better to have them than not and just immediatley lose every military installation. The end result would've been the same though probably.

yeah fair enough, i wasn't trying to suggest that hamas had decisively defeated iron dome or anything, but the fact that there were any rockets getting through given the disparity of military power and strategic positioning bodes poorly for its performance against the russians.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

VostokProgram posted:

So why did NATO not want Ukraine to join, anyway? Was the will-they-or-won't-they dance supposed to be a form of appeasing Russia?

The Minsk agreements stated that if Ukraine didnt join NATO, Russia would respect its borders.

But the probably real reason is Russia was going to invade eventually and Europe didnt want WWIII

Blaming NATO is kind of like blaming the cops for a murder. The murderer has the blame but theres some culpability for the cops to prevent the murder from happening. Its not a great analogy so dont kill me.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

KillHour posted:

It's what we call it when you're posting in a thread :rimshot:

I deserved that.

I’m having trouble with the juxtaposition of war coverage and Golden Corral commercials on CNN.

hellotoothpaste fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Feb 24, 2022

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Trump posted:

Wait and see. I doubt the Ukrainian military would take any kind of serious defensive action right on their borders. They a probably prepared deeper in country.

they also just loosened regulations on firearms so Ukrainians can open carry, there are a lot of civilians who have been in combat there, and the national spirit seems to be "come and take it", so

this probably isn't over soon

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

hellotoothpaste posted:

I’m having trouble with the juxtaposition of war coverage and Golden Corral commercials on CNN.

Clearly CNN is telling you to eat yourself to death.

Elizabeth Cluppins
May 12, 2009

MiddleOne posted:

Might be a bit too early to make a call on how effective Russia has been. I haven't seen reports of non-air Russian forces more than ~40km from the border yet.

Tanks in Kharkov is terrible though, so much for securing the DPR/LPR borders.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

If the Dow Future is any indication we are gonna be in for a bloodbath tomorrow.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
It's too early to know how effective the Ukrainian military is; for all we know they had pulled back their forces to staging points away from the border in order to assess the direction of Russia's advance and then counter attack.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

hellotoothpaste posted:

"In light of current events, Golden Corral will be introducing tonight's special: Chicken Kiev!"

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Fragrag posted:

"In light of current events, Golden Corral will be introducing tonight's special: Chicken Kiev!"

Chicken Kiev smothered in a fine Vodka sauce

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/status/1496751862866919426

I'm not in the "any other country is going to deliberately start shooting at russian troops and start WW3" camp, but the chance of countries accidently being drawn into the war is non-0 precisely because of how easy it is for incidents like this to happen in large scale conflicts.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Yeah if you are Ukrainian Military you have no hopes of forming and holding solid lines. Your only hope is getting the Russians deep into your territory and defeating them in detail.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Raenir Salazar posted:

It's too early to know how effective the Ukrainian military is; for all we know they had pulled back their forces to staging points away from the border in order to assess the direction of Russia's advance and then counter attack.

I think it's not to much to speculate that the Ukrainian military is basically in disarray right now. Basically every known hq and base has been leveled.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kirios posted:

If the Dow Future is any indication we are gonna be in for a bloodbath tomorrow.
My grandfater is getting bombed and my stonks are going down? What's next?

Raenir Salazar posted:

Yeah there's gently caress all the could do without proper AA so either they pulled back or dispersed somewhere or everything collapsed again like in 2014. Which, honestly, whatever. As much as I want to see someone gently caress Russia up, it'd be better not to have hundreds of thousands dead ukrainians.

LegendaryFrog posted:

https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/status/1496751862866919426

I'm not in the "any other country is going to deliberately start shooting at russian troops and start WW3" camp, but the chance of countries accidently being drawn into the war is non-0 precisely because of how easy it is for incidents like this to happen in large scale conflicts.

Should've shot it down :colbert: Turkey did and Russia just whined about it for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

VostokProgram posted:

NATO itself can't make any decisions. Every member has to vote on a new member joining and many European countries would have vetoed Ukraine because there is absolutely no poltical or popular will to get involved in a war with Russia. There are also formal criteria that Ukraine absolutely does not meet and can never meet as long as Crimea and Donbas were occupied.