Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I wonder if this'll make Orban reassess his allegiances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Nope, it will be more of "See, I kept Hungary out of this mess". That's a lovely way to celebrate Fat Thursday..

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I wonder if Orban will be as willing to turn aside Ukrainian refugees as he (and lots of other EU states) were willing to turn aside ME refugees.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Hungary is in NATO though so he has nothing to worry about. Of course he could still suck up to Putin as a big string daddy or whatever.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
https://mobile.twitter.com/askorobogatov/status/1495864873040896004

Shout-out to everyone who knew the above was correct and watching helplessly for two decades as appeasers let another hitler grow up and rise

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Nobody is in a celebratory mood right now, but still: happy 104th anniversary of the Estonian Declaration of Independence.

Couldn't help but think of how Putin could have just as easily said "Estonia" when giving his "Bolsheviks created Ukraine" speech. I'm glad that we are a member of NATO...

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Hilarious part is that Lukashenko wasnt informed at all, in advance. He apparently got a call from Putin at 5 in the morning. Right now they are attacking Ukraine from BY territory and he is only calling security council meeting to decide something. Everything was decided without you, friendo.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Angryhead posted:

Nobody is in a celebratory mood right now, but still: happy 104th anniversary of the Estonian Declaration of Independence.

Couldn't help but think of how Putin could have just as easily said "Estonia" when giving his "Bolsheviks created Ukraine" speech. I'm glad that we are a member of NATO...

Yep. You guys got in just under the wire. Moldova can't be feeling good right now.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Sekenr posted:

Hilarious part is that Lukashenko wasnt informed at all, in advance. He apparently got a call from Putin at 5 in the morning. Right now they are attacking Ukraine from BY territory and he is only calling security council meeting to decide something. Everything was decided without you, friendo.

Somehow I don't think he was surprised, I mean he's already given Russia free hands to act from their territory and must have expected this.

It's funny though that this happened right after the Olympics. Like a clock! This prompted me to look up Belarus' medals from this and the last games.

Sochi 2014: 4 gold, 1 bronze
Pyongyang 2018: 2 gold, 1 silver
Beijing 2022: 2 silver

Now THAT must hurt Batka's ego more!

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Feb 24, 2022

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Is the thread decontaminated now, can topics actually relevant to EE right here and now be discussed here?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Is the thread decontaminated now, can topics actually relevant to EE right here and now be discussed here?

Sure, it's been decontaminated for a while now. What would you like to discuss?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I wonder how much of refugee crisis we'll have. There's probably 2 million Ukrainians in Poland already, so I imagine they can take care of their friends/relatives in short term. If it jumps to 4 million then first time after WW2 Poland will have a significant ethnic minority numbers. I imagine it will take a total of 5 seconds for Kremlin propaganda mills to start stirring up poo poo.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

I understand being sick of clancy chat theorycrafting, but what I actually meant is, is the thread decontaminated from the mindset that we need a safe space to discuss EE matters pretending there's not a loving war just around the corner.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Anne Frank Funk posted:

I understand being sick of clancy chat theorycrafting, but what I actually meant is, is the thread decontaminated from the mindset that we need a safe space to discuss EE matters pretending there's not a loving war just around the corner.

The desire to silo off horrible news and even worse level of discourse to another thread so you can read this one without breaking out in stress is hardly 'contamination.'

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

We can still talk about Ukraine and the impact of the war on EE here, that thread ober there is for direct Russia va Ukraine chat.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

alex314 posted:

I wonder how much of refugee crisis we'll have. There's probably 2 million Ukrainians in Poland already, so I imagine they can take care of their friends/relatives in short term. If it jumps to 4 million then first time after WW2 Poland will have a significant ethnic minority numbers. I imagine it will take a total of 5 seconds for Kremlin propaganda mills to start stirring up poo poo.

Once Putin cuts off the gas, every household will be issued four refugees. Wrap them around you to stay warm!

szary
Mar 12, 2014

alex314 posted:

Kremlin propaganda is already working overtime, all those accounts on social media that used to spew anti-vaxx propaganda have switched to anti-Ukraine propaganda.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Our woreign ministry is hilarious. Advised belarusian citizens to leave Ukraine, good job everyone. Good timing now that all flights are cancelled and there is fighting on belarusian border.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Anne Frank Funk posted:

The reason thread was split was because there we people with 3rd grade understanding of Russian history making 50 posts per day about Ukraine. I don’t recall anyone pretending that Russia is not making moves - we simply want to be able to read conversations on other EE topics.

Somaen posted:

Только проснулся, какая пизда друзья

И не говори

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Feb 24, 2022

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Good sign, his allies are starting to abandon him. I hope after this every piece of poo poo politician and propagandist who were Kremlin shills get a financial deep cavity search

https://twitter.com/RikardJozwiak/status/1496790200764227585

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Somaen posted:

Good sign, his allies are starting to abandon him. I hope after this every piece of poo poo politician and propagandist who were Kremlin shills get a financial deep cavity search

https://twitter.com/RikardJozwiak/status/1496790200764227585

Waiting for Vučić to chime in.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Do we have any Hungarian lurkers to spill beans on current chatter within Fidesz?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Paladinus posted:

Waiting for Vučić to chime in.

Čubo said that he'll condemn Russia only after Zelenski condemns NATO bombing of Serbia in 1999. But otherwise it seems they are taking a neutral stance, more will be known in a few hours after an emergency session of Serbian government regarding Ukraine.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
The rumor is that Putin intends to also annex Belarus during the operation, which won't require military force.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

The rumor is that Putin intends to also annex Belarus during the operation, which won't require military force.

If we view the current events from the perspective of [formally] unstated goal of [re-]establishing a Russian empire, that could very well be within Putin's scope. Seemingly, Belarus troops were already ordered into Ukraine by Kremlin, with Lukashenko being informed post-factum.

If it goes through, I wonder if there's some Union State integration charade, or if there's "simple constitutional vote" to get things sorted for the Autonomous Republic of Belarus.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I wonder if Batka is more likely to "slip and fall from balcony" or "get killed by Ukrainian homonazi terrorists".

Sad pączki pic.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cinci zoo sniper posted:

If we view the current events from the perspective of [formally] unstated goal of [re-]establishing a Russian empire, that could very well be within Putin's scope. Seemingly, Belarus troops were already ordered into Ukraine by Kremlin, with Lukashenko being informed post-factum.

If it goes through, I wonder if there's some Union State integration charade, or if there's "simple constitutional vote" to get things sorted for the Autonomous Republic of Belarus.

Supposedly they are pulling a Crimea and doing a post-facto referendum.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

Supposedly they are pulling a Crimea and doing a post-facto referendum.

Will be interesting to see if that generates any additional international response, should it happen.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Belarus has been pretty shut-in so far and pretty pro-Russia so I doubt it'd get much opposition outside of the expats.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

mobby_6kl posted:

My grandfather watches 100% Russian state TV. He'll soon support liberating everything up to Portugal from the Nazis.

It's not like other content isn't available but that's the only source he can trust.
Heh, without fail, everytime I go over to my girlfriend's place (she lives with her grandparents) Channel One is on. The programming is certainly interesting.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

A friend that lives near PL-UA border mentioned there's visibly more Ukrainians there. Unsurprisingly that's the only direction they can evacuate, so I sincerely hope there's some protocol in place to let them through.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

alex314 posted:

A friend that lives near PL-UA border mentioned there's visibly more Ukrainians there. Unsurprisingly that's the only direction they can evacuate, so I sincerely hope there's some protocol in place to let them through.

There’s visa-free travel for Ukrainians, and Polish and American governmental forces ready to receive refugees, in my understanding.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cinci zoo sniper posted:

There’s visa-free travel for Ukrainians, and Polish and American governmental forces ready to receive refugees, in my understanding.

Yeah that appears to be the case: Poland largely opened the border two weeks ago and the 82nd is there to help receive refugees.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

gently caress off Batman posted:

Čubo said that he'll condemn Russia only after Zelenski condemns NATO bombing of Serbia in 1999. But otherwise it seems they are taking a neutral stance, more will be known in a few hours after an emergency session of Serbian government regarding Ukraine.

Ukraine condemned it at the time so this request is pointless and just blowing smoke.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Ate 3 pączki, getting one later too. gently caress it, we're going to die anyway.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

alex314 posted:

Talked with a coworker today. She has family, including kids, in western Ukraine. It's a small town, far from frontlines, but there is a small military aer stip nearby that got hit with missiles. She left today for the Slovakian border to get her family out of there and hopefully others too.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I laughed at this so here's some lighter fare from Finland, with Russian subtitles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J64W-gSa3Qw

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

We’re having a run on petrol stations in Poland, apparently. Morning was fine, by evening lines would backlog onto roads. I’m hearing this from people all over the country.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

But what about toilet paper? Are people hoarding tp yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

szary
Mar 12, 2014
I just got back from walking the dog, the 3 petrol stations in my area were completely empty, I suppose those who were going to panic buy already did. The prices did rise by 20 gr since this afternoon :ohdear: