Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Cugel the Clever posted:

Do you think that Ukrainians are loving slow? That they're some 6-year old sitting on a stoop with a baseball and pair of gloves, credulously waiting for a deadbeat dad to show up like he'd half promised?

No, but I also don't think the average Ukrainian knows how NATO accession works, because most people anywhere don't know how NATO accession works. I think the Ukrainian government and people quite understandably saw NATO as a potential protector from the genuinely scary empire next door that was eyeing them, and went with what they thought was the best chance available to guarantee their safety. I think they thought they could work on the German and French governments, and prove to them that letting Ukraine into the alliance would not risk dragging them into war with Russia. I don't fault them for a second for taking that chance; like I said, the Ukrainians are blameless in this matter. I do fault the Bush Administration and NATO leadership for promising them membership when it was pretty clear it would not be forthcoming.

And here's the thing - so does Ukraine's president. Just five days ago, Zelensky was demanding to know when NATO was going to let them in. As we've seen throughout this crisis, he's not a stupid man - he's been one of the smartest people on the scene. So he wasn't actually demanding that timetable because he thought Ukraine was going to get in anytime soon. He was demanding that NATO either poo poo or get off the pot, because the alliance has been playing a two-faced game with them for fourteen years now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melancholia
Jul 5, 2021

Cugel the Clever posted:

Do you think that Ukrainians are loving slow? That they're some 6-year old sitting on a stoop with a baseball and pair of gloves, credulously waiting for a deadbeat dad to show up like he'd half promised?

The Ukrainian people haven't acted in the last decade and a half with the mindset that they'd go hog wild screwing with Putin by democratizing, liberalizing, and Westernizing, naively thinking NATO might swoop in and save the day should Putin's bloodlust prove insatiable. No—people fought and loving died to achieve what they did because it was the right thing to do for their country. You keep infantilizing the Ukrainian people and it's disgusting.

No one (here) is blaming the Ukrainian people for what the Russians are doing. Some of us are pointing out that despite the incredible efforts of the Ukrainian people, especially since 2014, they’ve been abandoned by NATO and they were always going to be abandoned by certain NATO votes. How can anyone deny that some NATO actors have been actively involved (Intensified Dialogue) in Ukraine, offering a hand to people who desperately want to grasp it?

The West refused to take Putin seriously and once again, just like Georgia, we loving abandoned the people who expected our help.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Taiwan must be the only other country so analogous to Ukraine’s situation. I know China hasn’t been backing Russia but one imagines they look upon all this with some level of contentment. There’s undoubtedly more clarity now on what happens when a military giant pursues irredentist claims with force.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Sally Sprodgkin posted:

The hour-long speech Putin gave on the 22nd or so in response to his NSC cabinet meeting makes it very obvious that he sees Ukraine as not a sovereign state but instead a client state owing any sovereignty it had to 'gifts' it received from the USSR and Tsars. The only way Ukraine would have been safe from Russian aggression since Putin came to power is effectively acting as a puppet/client state a-la Belarus, and probably rolling over to Russian land grabs if Moscow felt like it.

Russian state media was throwing around a map similar to this one in the past few days echoing his points:

I was going to write a longer post about why the whole NATO argument is an absolute poo poo take and a red herring while there are literal Russian boots on the ground in Ukraine but this poster above me said it better

since putin emphasized "lenin's mistake" a lot, is it reasonable to assume he's going to take the south purple part? that would probably make the most strategic sense since it would link up with transnistria and crimea and leave the west, north and center mostly intact?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1496768493588725764?t=pPoXyWltGBg112Ik65Whbw&s=19

Holy loving poo poo

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

FishBulbia posted:

misinfo probably. Same with the aphib landings in odesa

Misread this as ‘Airbnb’ and thought drat, that’s pretty unorthodox

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Putin's oligarchs may be putting him out to pasture sooner than I expected.:stare:

(probably not, but I certainly wouldn't blame them)

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

In half an hour I'm supposed to have my morning stand up with our Ukranian dev team, based in Kiev. None of them have posted anything since yesterday afternoon. This is loving madness.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

buy the dip (you can be absolutely certain people with money domestically are)

Melancholia
Jul 5, 2021

bad_fmr posted:

Leftists especially in USA seem to have absolutely massive blind spots about Russia in general and Putin in specific. Modern Russia is and has been an aggressive ethnonationalist authoritarian state committing war crimes and assassinating people wherever they choose. That you would choose to give benefit of doubt to Russia seems insane. Yes I understand that CIA is bad and NATO/USA has done dumb poo poo, but these do not change the facts.

Holy poo poo, this. Online leftists have been poisoning this well for weeks. I understand where those RT fucks are coming from, they’re literally plants. The problem is that a lot of leftists - many of whom starting down this path when they “discover” the true history of US foreign policy - are literally incapable of separating criticism of the US/“West” and the rest of the world. I understand that tankies will always support, say, China, and decry any criticism of the CCP as CIA/State Department propaganda, but the number of leftists that have and continue to support Russia is staggering, incomprehensible.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Putin is actively murdering Ukrainians this very minute. Can't we thread ban the Putin apologists making GBS threads up the thread with their crocodile tears and incessant whining about NATO?

At least silo off that bullshit to its own thread. It has no place here.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Feb 24, 2022

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

FishBulbia posted:

I think it's not to much to speculate that the Ukrainian military is basically in disarray right now. Basically every known hq and base has been leveled.

I think this addresses your point properly - I mean you're only responding to Tweets/posts/whatever claiming "something has happened". But then there's no reports about things that haven't happened.

Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know.

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008

Sally Sprodgkin posted:

I was going to write a longer post about why the whole NATO argument is an absolute poo poo take and a red herring while there are literal Russian boots on the ground in Ukraine but this poster above me said it better

The so called NATO argument is the simple explanation of what is happening right now: look at the last 20 years, every decision/action made by Russia was in responce to NATO projection towards east.
Even in the last few days, Putin said that if Ukraine would abandon their will to join NATO or the European Union ( which is just a masked organization for the U.S. international power), the whole crisis would end.
The ongoing russian military operations are just a reality check for Ukraine: the reality that they are just an ant beside the russian big bear.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Vegetable posted:

Taiwan must be the only other country so analogous to Ukraine’s situation. I know China hasn’t been backing Russia but one imagines they look upon all this with some level of contentment. There’s undoubtedly more clarity now on what happens when a military giant pursues irredentist claims with force.

The U.S. is legally bound to defend Taiwan through the Taiwan Relations Act, though. There is nothing similar for Ukraine. Quite frankly, I expect this makes China less bullish on absorbing Taiwan militarily, at least in the near future, since we've shown we aren't as ready to tie down our forces in multiple wars at the same time as we were, say, 20 years ago.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Herstory Begins Now posted:

On a related note, it seems remarkable, at least to me, just how much popular sentiment there seems to be that actually we should be military confronting Russia over invading Ukraine. There seems to be a lot more will to militarily stand up to Russia than I ever would have expected.
I can only imagine people support military action in direct opposition to the Russian military because they are used to all wars being 'over there' and don't have any concept of an enemy that could be directly bombing London or Berlin or Los Angeles within hours of hostilities beginning.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KillHour posted:

My take is that countries are selfish and they wanted to pay lip service to Ukraine but also wanted to appease Russia for cheap oil and gas so they wagged their finger for a decade without actually taking any real steps towards preventing Russia from doing exactly this. This is kind of obvious in retrospect - Western Europe is full of rich, liberal countries who believe in words and agreements and cheap gas. Putin wants power and to take back the glory of the old Russian empire that he believes the communists squandered. He believes in sharp, pointy, high explosive sticks, and using words and agreements and cheap gas to get sharper, pointier, more explodey sticks.

Right now the West is standing there complaining that we need to fix this with words and Russia is saying "nah we're using guns and if you try to stop us, it's going to be your guns vs our guns" and Ukraine is yelling "loving help us you cowards" and we're just like "but words and cheap gas :("

I suspect not even most Ukrainians are terribly interested in risking a nuclear war over this.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Majorian posted:

No, NATO should not have promised Ukraine and Georgia membership if they knew France, Germany, and probably other member-states would without a doubt veto their accession. NATO requires a unanimous vote from all member-states to accept a new member. That was never going to happen for those two countries.

How the gently caress is this a broken promise? Grumbling from two member at the same summit where the suggestion was made is not a broken promise!

But this doesn’t even answer the issue at all. What does this have to do with justifying a loving Russian invasion? Why should the vague and obviously non-committal suggestion Ukraine join NATO justify Putin deciding to invade in 2014?

E: to be clear, NATO acted incredibly STUPIDLY. But they are not at all culpable in what happened, is my point.

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008

Cugel the Clever posted:

Putin is actively murdering Ukrainians this very minute. Can't we thread ban the Putin apologists making GBS threads up the thread with their crocodile tears and incessant whining about NATO?

A true champion for the freedom of speech. So classy.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Knightsoul posted:

The so called NATO argument is the simple explanation of what is happening right now: look at the last 20 years, every decision/action made by Russia was in responce to NATO projection towards east.
Even in the last few days, Putin said that if Ukraine would abandon their will to join NATO or the European Union ( which is just a masked organization for the U.S. international power), the whole crisis would end.
The ongoing russian military operations are just a reality check for Ukraine: the reality that they are just an ant beside the russian big bear.

So using a continuous shifting of rhetorical focus, you're claiming Russia's enemies are at the same time too strong and too weak?

Melancholia
Jul 5, 2021

Cugel the Clever posted:

How the hell do you keep coming to the conclusion that people are apologists for Putin when many of us are expressing frustration that NATO isn’t helping? We’re not saying Putin’s justified in his actions, gently caress that monster, we’re profoundly frustrated by the fact that NATO members knew this invasion was at least possible, that he would use NATO talks as justification, but NATO was never going to allow Ukrainian accession?

Do you not see there are two separate problems here?

Cirvot
Oct 21, 2012

bad_fmr posted:

From finnish perspective, following the news and discussion in the recent weeks have been really perplexing. Leftists especially in USA seem to have absolutely massive blind spots about Russia in general and Putin in specific. Modern Russia is and has been an aggressive ethnonationalist authoritarian state committing war crimes and assassinating people wherever they choose. That you would choose to give benefit of doubt to Russia seems insane. Yes I understand that CIA is bad and NATO/USA has done dumb poo poo, but these do not change the facts.

It's not hard to find reactions from European leftists have looked over appalled at the how naive the American lefts reaction to this conflict has been. Where the far rights allegiances lie is the same across the two continents in question, but I guess we didn't expect the American left to be this naive.

Swedish here and I fully agree with the sentiment of the last sentence of the quote.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
I wouldn't trust anything you see right now unless it's confirmed by the Ukrainian military, and they're kind of busy. The vast majority of info coming out is rumors and speculation. Even the videos I've seen are mostly misattributed, or edited, or just old clips from 2014 - 2015.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Hey all, this is a gentle reminder to try to keep your posts substantive and on-topic. The invasion of Ukraine is obviously a tense issue, especially considering the good number of Eastern European goons itt. This thread is gonna get a ton of traffic.

Specifically, the mod team would like to discourage:
  • Clancychat. Wild speculation about catastrophic but extremely unlikely possibilities. There's plenty to talk about that exists within the realm of "reasonably possible," let's try and stick to that please.

• Shitposting and whataboutism. Please keep posts on-topic and substantive. Jokes are always allowed, of course, but this is a (literally) deadly-serious topic. If you're gonna make a dumb joke, better hope that it lands.

• Attacking other posters or complaining about CSPAM. I regret to inform you that this is the :decorum: forum and being an rear end in a top hat to other users is not allowed. If someone makes a dumbass post or has a lovely opinion, by all means roast their terrible take. Please refrain from going after posting personalities. Also, CSPAM has its own rules, if you don't like something there then PM the CSPAM mods or you could even post in a CSPAM thread and argue against whatever take you don't like!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Delthalaz posted:

I just want to underline how vast Ukraine is in terms of territory. Even assuming the worst case scenario for Ukraine and their military is obliterated instantly, I think it's going to take some time just to reach and establish control over a country of this size.

This assumes that they plan to take and hold the entire country, rather than pulling a 2008 Georgia and crippling/paralysing the military so that they can annex their preferred target regions unopposed. There's nothing in this war that's forcing Putin to deal with an expensive, bloody, and unending insurgency if he doesn't want to.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

bad_fmr posted:

From finnish perspective, following the news and discussion in the recent weeks have been really perplexing. Leftists especially in USA seem to have absolutely massive blind spots about Russia in general and Putin in specific. Modern Russia is and has been an aggressive ethnonationalist authoritarian state committing war crimes and assassinating people wherever they choose. That you would choose to give benefit of doubt to Russia seems insane. Yes I understand that CIA is bad and NATO/USA has done dumb poo poo, but these do not change the facts.

I feel like its an issue of distance. Americans can very easily see, and verify, that the USA does bad things, but its harder to get accurate information about what happens abroad. Its very easy to recognize that mainstream US news sources have a bias, for example, but when you don't really understand what's going on a few thousand kilometers away, its pretty hard to figure out what news sources are actually reliable and comprehensive. Like there was somebody posting stuff from one of the MV-lehti psychos, unless you actually know the background on that, it doesn't immediately read as illegitimate. I can't really think about any other reason for it, besides maybe a dash of bad old american exceptionalism, except this time employed in the sense of "only the bad things the USA does matters".

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Rob Rockley posted:

How the gently caress is this a broken promise? Grumbling from two member at the same summit where the suggestion was made is not a broken promise!

I said they made a promise they could not keep, and it was. Those two "grumbling" members were saying that they would veto Ukraine's accession, making them becoming members impossible. There was little chance that anyone was going to get them to change their mind over the next fourteen years, and that also is quite understandable, because if I were French or German, I also would not want to get in an energy war, or, God forbid, a real war with Russia over Ukraine.

quote:

But this doesn’t even answer the issue at all. What does this have to do with justifying a loving Russian invasion? Why should the vague and obviously non-committal suggestion Ukraine join NATO justify Putin deciding to invade in 2014?

I literally just posted this a few minutes ago:

Majorian posted:

I am not justifying anything Putin has done, either to Ukraine or to Georgia. There is no justification. He is a warmonger. gently caress him, his kleptocratic system, and his imperialist aims.

I don't know how I can possibly be more clear - Ukraine wanting to join NATO in no way justifies Russia's aggression.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cirvot posted:

It's not hard to find reactions from European leftists have looked over appalled at the how naive the American lefts reaction to this conflict has been. Where the far rights allegiances lie is the same across the two continents in question, but I guess we didn't expect the American left to be this naive.
Well about that

GaussianCopula posted:

That's a German issue too.

"Die Linke" issued a statement on Monday where they cited the Kosovo war as an example of NATO aggression that justifies Russian actions towards Ukraine and the former SPD chancellor is a highly paid Russian gas lobbyist.

Darth Walrus posted:

This assumes that they plan to take and hold the entire country, rather than pulling a 2008 Georgia and crippling/paralysing the military so that they can annex their preferred target regions unopposed. There's nothing in this war that's forcing Putin to deal with an expensive, bloody, and unending insurgency if he doesn't want to.
Yes that would be extremely stupid but then he could've just parked some tanks in Donbass for the same result so clearly he's looking for more. Maybe the the whole sout-east.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
How many men did the US have to invade Iraq? 120,000 doesn't seem nearly enough to control a country the population and size of Ukraine.

Melancholia
Jul 5, 2021

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Wasn't the closest thing to a promise they got was just a verbal statement that some day they could become nato members? No timeline, no membership action plan or whatever they're called, just a 'yeah someday'

https://www.nato.int/cps/en/natohq/news_185000.htm

That’s from a 2021 NATO summit. Check out article (whatever) 69. My point in general here is no, NATO wasn’t making vague gestures toward Ukrainian accession. A lot of us here are frustrated by NATO actions like these - separate from Putin’s loving invasion - when we know certain NATO members were never, under any circumstances, going to let Ukraine join.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don’t think discussing the supposed failings of NATO — or anyone else — in any way diminishes Russia’s moral culpability.

Put another way, there are surely legions of American and European diplomats who are genuinely questioning themselves on what more they could have done.

It’s too facile to say “Russia wants what it wants and nothing could have stopped the February 2022 invasion of Ukraine.” About a million minute and major decisions were made in the years and months leading up to this. If you’re a diplomat worth your salt you take the broader view and look for areas where choices could have been made differently and things could have turned out differently.

Again, none of this takes away from the moral culpability of an imperialist state launching an invasion, and those arguing than it does should, well, gently caress off.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

Well about that

Yes that would be extremely stupid but then he could've just parked some tanks in Donbass for the same result so clearly he's looking for more. Maybe the the whole sout-east.

Could just be trying to move the buffer zone inward. Create an unstable no-man's-land but make it Ukraine's problem rather than his. If the secessionist areas have been absorbed into Russia, creating new secessionist areas to distract and weaken their previous owners does make a certain kind of sense.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Comstar posted:

How many men did the US have to invade Iraq? 120,000 doesn't seem nearly enough to control a country the population and size of Ukraine.

Russia is probably using about 200,000 troops, coalition was about 300k against 1.3 million Iraqi troops.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Moscow stock exchange already suspended trading

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
polling in Europe (including Ukraine) show generally receptive views toward Russia as late as 2013-2014ish

Euromaidan marked a huge shift in polling regarding NATO vs CIS

it's not hard to suppose that some combination of more enthusiastically Europhile leadership in Kyiv could have pushed President Clinton to back membership in NATO, or sympathetic states in Eastern Europe to back EU accession; I don't get the argument that it was never on the table. Indeed there are Russian boots on the ground precisely because further movement into the European camp seemed very likely in the 2020s.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

It turns out that the seat should have gone to the first republic in alphabetical order. Armenians start cheering too soon, as all of a sudden an oddly familiar, mustachioed and bespectacled gentleman named Aaaaaaazbekistan enters the room.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Comstar posted:

177,000 for the initial invasion in 2003. With the US airforce and navy providing massive amounts of support and against a far less equipped and organized opponent. Today is where Ukraine shows how they intend to fight back, and we'll start to get a glimpse of what this will cost Russia one way or another.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I still maintain that attempting to occupy Ukraine would be incredibly stupid, but 1) major powers have made stupid decisions before, 2) the Putin Rant Speeches, and 3) pulverizing the cities of 5+ million people and then leaving would achieve pretty much all of Russia's objectives if they were willing to risk even more international outrage

so who the gently caress knows, this all sucks and i'm currently sad

theghostpt
Sep 1, 2009
There's some pretty terrible photos in Czech online newspapers already. loving awful :(

Czech Republic is allowing any Ukrainian with biometric passport to enter the country without visa. Also any Ukrainian with unresolved visa status can stay in the country....

theghostpt fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Feb 24, 2022

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ghetto Prince posted:

I wouldn't trust anything you see right now unless it's confirmed by the Ukrainian military, and they're kind of busy. The vast majority of info coming out is rumors and speculation. Even the videos I've seen are mostly misattributed, or edited, or just old clips from 2014 - 2015.

The KKKonvoy in Canada recently demonstrated a lot of the American left is out of touch with Canada, let alone Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The core issue has never been, and still isn't NATO membership. Putin's grievance is that former Russian imperial subjects have chosen to break with Moscow and align West. Those former subjects applying in due course for NATO membership is a symptom of that process, but it isn't the process itself.

There was no real chance of Ukraine actually applying for NATO membership in 2014, there was no realistic prospect of Ukraine joining anytime soon in 2021. NATO enlargement is a real and honest grievance in the Kremlin, but nothing NATO has or hasn't done has been the proximate cause for anything Putin has done in Ukraine in the last 8 years.

e: If anything, I suspect the consensus outlook will not be that Russia was not given enough respect and concessions by the West, it will be that Russian aggression has been repeatedly ignored or rewarded and that this has emboldened Putin each time. A sharp relearning of the lessons of the 30's, this is what happens if you let a militaristic revanchist ethnostate have a few little invasions with no consequences.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Feb 24, 2022